Most Overpriced RCL Add On

I know there are $4,000 cabanas and the like, but this one got to me.

We did the Coco Cay Beach Club less than 2 years ago and paid $89 per person.

It was nice but I still walked away thinking I overpaid for an upgraded lunch, a couple of chairs and pool access.

Look how much it is now.

You can get 5 nights in specialty restaurants for that price.

Screenshot-2024-01-20-120909.png

Edited by Longhorn Cruiser
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I honestly can't believe people pay the prices RCI is asking for add-ons at Coco Cay. A lot of those add-ons are more than some of us pay for the entire cruise. But... if people keep paying those prices, RCI will keep raising them to see how much they can get.

Edited by cruiseguy1016
  • Like 10

39 minutes ago, Longhorn Cruiser said:

It was nice but I still walked away thinking I overpaid for an upgraded lunch, a couple of chairs and pool access.

Look how much it is now.

I wouldn't pay that price either.

When we were at the Beach Club a couple weeks ago, only two fools had booked those $4,000 cabanas.  The rest sat empty. 

I guess Royal figures it is easier to find two willing to pay $4,000 than it is to find ten willing to pay $800.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

On our first cruise in 2013 (Oasis), DW & I paid $250 for an OTW cabana on Labadee.  That was the same price we paid in 2014 (Freedom).  Now they go for what?  Close to $1k (if not over)? 

But I agree with @cruiseguy1016, if people will pay, why SHOULDN'T RCI charge that much?   

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

When we were at the Beach Club a couple weeks ago, only two fools had booked those $4,000 cabanas.  The rest sat empty. 

I guess Royal figures it is easier to find two willing to pay $4,000 than it is to find ten willing to pay $800.

That's an interesting way to look at it.  

I'd add to that thought:  If they'd sell them for maybe $500, people'd be standing in line to buy them ... and more people would come away with positive thoughts about their experience.  That matters just as much as the profit.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Longhorn Cruiser said:

Look how much it is now.

I agree but it seems to sell for that and higher. Folks on my upcoming are booking it like it is free.

BTW-I booked 7 nights ( and sea days) dining package  for less than that beach club price. 

everybody has their own budgets, everybody knows what’s important to them, and everybody can spend money anyway  they wish. Seems RCCL is onto something… The more expensive they make it, the more people want it. 

m

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

That's an interesting way to look at it.  

I'd add to that thought:  If they'd sell them for maybe $500, people'd be standing in line to buy them ... and more people would come away with positive thoughts about their experience.  That matters just as much as the profit.  

Evidently not, at least not yet.  As long as bookings are at all time highs, NOTHING matters as much as profit.

44 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Oh wow another thread about how expensive things are... 

🤣

I’ll book that cabana, and raise you by removing my auto gratuities.  (Joke font on😆)

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Haha 5

41 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

On our first cruise in 2013 (Oasis), DW & I paid $250 for an OTW cabana on Labadee.  That was the same price we paid in 2014 (Freedom).  Now they go for what?  Close to $1k (if not over)? 

But I agree with @cruiseguy1016, if people will pay, why SHOULDN'T RCI charge that much?   

Yes, as long as cruisers think this experience is worth the costs, there is nothing to say but "in xxxx, I paid $xxxx and now it is $xxxxx."

Royal does not care and the only choice I have is to pay or not to pay when I chose to book one of their cruises.

I stopped using "RCI" or "RCCL" because people were upset. Is saying "Royal" acceptable?

🤣

16 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I agree but it seems to sell for that and higher. Folks on my upcoming are booking it like it is free.

Do you know if these are new cruisers or not? I wonder if they are new cruisers and just don't know any better ? Meaning they don't know how much of a ripoff that is. Just wondering.

But, as you said, folks have the right to spend money as they wish. I just wish their spending did not impact how much I have to spend the next time I want to book a cruise. I say "want to book" because at the current prices, I am not booking. Man. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, blueslily said:

But, as you said, folks have the right to spend money as they wish. I just wish their spending did not impact how much I have to spend the next time I want to book a cruise. I say "want to book" because at the current prices, I am not booking. Man. 

You do know this is how every business operates right?  

Profits are A#1. Damaging long term profits might be discussed, but I really don’t think that matters either, as the next time people cruise and see cabanas for $2,899 they will jump on the bookings, thinking they got a great deal. 

• Like 1

Just now, Engineroom Snipe said:

This is getting darn right ugly!

Ouch!

Please, I hope no one can raise the price higher than you just quoted.

I thought I had it won! 😂

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

Dollar for dollar, photo packages are the most overpriced add on

While I tend to agree with you on this analysis, there is going to be someone who will vehemently disagree with you since I agree with you.

Such is life.......

😏

• Haha 1