Packing for First Long Cruise- 26 days.

Have done several cruises of 14-18 days. This year we are doing our first 26 day cruise, (with pre and post stays) from Sydney, in March. I have always been a chronic over packer and am now stating to think what I should pack. Looking for suggestions how to cut back, but be suitably attired for Princess. 

Thank you.

Exactly. Bring no more clothes than you would for your 14-18 day cruises, at a minimum -- especially if you already think that you overpack. 

The only thing you should need to bring more of would be daily grooming essentials and prescription drugs (IMO).

• Like 5

We did the 26 day TP and Circle Japan cruise on the Westerdam this past October.  Since our plans included staying in Tokyo for a few day after the cruise (and using the trains to get to the hotel and airport), decided to travel light.  We each had a 22" carry-on rolling suitcase, and DH had a daypack, and I had a small overnight type duffle bag.  We bought the HAL laundry package, and used it nearly everyday.  Even with my small carry-on bags, I still overpacked.  For example, I had bought the Thermal Suite Spa package, but found that I really didn't need my beach cover-up, nor the swim shorts to put over my one piece bathing suit (to cover my upper legs).  I realized that no one on the ship other than me cares about how my legs look.  Instead of the extra swim accessories (which took up a good amount of real estate in my small suitcase), I wish I had brought some warm weather tops, as even though it was October, there were a fair number of warm days, especially during our excursions, and even in Tokyo late October.  I was prepared for cool weather, but not really warm weather.

Like @CruiserBruce said, get the laundry service.  Best money you will spend on your cruise.

• Like 2

I'd pack half a dozen shorts, pants, skirts -- all in dark colors -- and then 10-12 lightweight shirts that could be washed out in the sink.  

Then 6-8 dresses.  

Two pairs of PJs and gym outfits -- so you could keep one, send the other to the laundry.  

Three pairs of shoes:  Little white Keds, which can go with tee-shirt dresses, one pair of walking sandals, one pair of dressy shoes.

I pack the same amount of clothes whether it's for a week, a month,  or longer. Then do laundry as necessary. The only thing that needs to increase are personal nygiene/grooming items and medications.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Looking for suggestions how to cut back, but be suitably attired for Princess. 

After being entranced by "capsule wardrobes" for several decades (I am not kidding), I have dispensed with everything going with everything!

For any length of trip (we don't take very short ones), I pack for each of us: four bottoms and about eight tops, two tops to go with each bottom and if some can go with more, all the better. About three "toppers" depending on the expected weather; these should go with as many of the other clothes, or with none (like my slicker-yellow raincoat!). No more than three pairs of shoes including what we're wearing. 10 undies and socks (or fewer socks for me if I anticipate wearing sandals or flipflops on the ship).  We don't do Formal, but if there is room left, I will take shiny leggings & sparkly top for myself and a guayabera (Mexican wedding shirt) for my husband.

These all fit in (two) carry-on cases, with day-packs for toiletries, electronics, medication. 

Of note: I pack from our everyday closets. And with our everyday routines in mind -- specifically -- we re-wear outer clothing that is not dirty. If you are not used to doing so, you'll need to do more laundry, but not necessarily pack more!

• Like 2

Thanks for your replies. 

Mum 2 Mercury- I think your suggestions are most in line with my own ideas..but I could never manage on 3 pairs of shoes..I will probably increase other items too.

Crystalspin- I couldn’t get my head around capsule wardrobes either. You are doing well to manage with carry on cases. We have Elite laundry so could use that but I am more likely to use the wash hand basin, then the iron in the laundry room.

Think I am a lost cause…am on 8 pairs of footwear , three pairs of trousers, six blouse type tops and twelve mixed dresses for evening..formal and smart casual. Three day bottoms, eight day tops and four day dresses. Miscellaneous underwear , night wear and four swimming costumes with two beach dresses and two sarongs, a cardigan, hoodie and outer jacket as we will be travelling from colder climes to warm.

It sounds even worse now I have typed it !!!

I know I should cut back but not getting my head around it !!

One of the interesting things I have noticed working at Seattle's Pier 91 is the crazy number of luggage pieces that Carnival passengers arrive with for their 7 day cruise to Alaska.  Granted, a lot of folks overpack, but as a group, Carnival passengers stand out for the number of large suitcases they travel with. 

It isn't unusual for a Alaska bound Carnival passenger to arrive with two 25", or even two 29" suitcases, along with a rolling 22" carry-on suitcase, plus some sort of tote bag.  And mind you, this is for a single traveler, not a couple.  It's makes me wonder if they think that they are heading to the Arctic tundra, or if one suitcase is just filled with shoes. 

Hopefully, they are able to manage moving all these pieces of luggage to and from the pier (and airport), and that perhaps they take note of what they actually used and needed, and what they could have done without bringing.

When I think of packing for any length trip, I remind myself that if I have even one night away from home, I still need to pack my toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, meds plus maybe some OTC, my glasses, makeup, change of clothes, maybe something extra that's cooler and something warmer.......

It puts into perspective that there's not a whole lot of difference between short and long trips, unless the trip is six months or so.

Lots of good advice above.

On 1/20/2024 at 7:39 PM, crystalspin said:

After being entranced by "capsule wardrobes" for several decades (I am not kidding), I have dispensed with everything going with everything!

I am totally fascinated by the idea of a capsule wardrobe but I am unsure how to go about getting one especially as 90% of my wardrobe is free t-shirts/running shirts from triathlons and running races. 🤣

But I also was mystified by someone on that 9-month Ultimate World Cruise who packed 7 pairs of white sneakers. Sure, each one was slightly different, but still...

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

One of the interesting things I have noticed working at Seattle's Pier 91 is the crazy number of luggage pieces that Carnival passengers arrive with for their 7 day cruise to Alaska.  Granted, a lot of folks overpack, but as a group, Carnival passengers stand out for the number of large suitcases they travel with. 

It isn't unusual for a Alaska bound Carnival passenger to arrive with two 25", or even two 29" suitcases, along with a rolling 22" carry-on suitcase, plus some sort of tote bag.  And mind you, this is for a single traveler, not a couple.  It's makes me wonder if they think that they are heading to the Arctic tundra, or if one suitcase is just filled with shoes. 

Hopefully, they are able to manage moving all these pieces of luggage to and from the pier (and airport), and that perhaps they take note of what they actually used and needed, and what they could have done without bringing.

Do you hear a sloshing sound when they move the bags?  😃

(All you Carnival passenger, just some good natured kidding).  

• Haha 1

I thought I was an overpacker, until I purchased a hand held luggage scale.  I first pack Everything that i want to take, then weight it.  Keep taking out what I really don't need, until I get to the appropriate weight that is not considered overweight ( minus a few pounds/kgs for souvenirs).  Amazing how much I still have packed ( and still didn't use).  I pack a travel backpack for pre/post cruise stays with toiletries and day wear for 4 -6 days.  that also leaves room in the luggage.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2024 at 9:23 AM, Ferry_Watcher said:

I doubt it.  Some people just figure out that even though they are going to a casual place they need 10 pairs of shoes and a several changes of clothing per day including a different outfit for each dinner.  Now I do take more electronics and photo gear than I really need which is something that my wife reminds me every time we leave.  My camera bag is a pain literally and figuratively to carry.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

26 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

My camera bag is a pain literally and figuratively to carry.

At least you take care of your own equipment. On occasion, pier wheelchair pushers are asked to take (only) carry-on luggage on the wheelchair, rather than the person.  The short answer is 'sorry, but no'.  They can only have people in the wheelchairs, not just luggage.

I have also seen a service dog being pushed in a personal wheelchair by it's owner.  And I have seen personal wheelchairs filled with 12 packs of soda being pushed by a passenger

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

At least you take care of your own equipment. On occasion, pier wheelchair pushers are asked to take (only) carry-on luggage on the wheelchair, rather than the person.  The short answer is 'sorry, but no'.  They can only have people in the wheelchairs, not just luggage.

I have also seen a service dog being pushed in a personal wheelchair by it's owner.  And I have seen personal wheelchairs filled with 12 packs of soda being pushed by a passenger

I "liked" your post, but really meant "Wow"!  

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2024 at 3:04 AM, Reina del Mar said:

Think I am a lost cause…am on 8 pairs of footwear , three pairs of trousers, six blouse type tops and twelve mixed dresses for evening..formal and smart casual. Three day bottoms, eight day tops and four day dresses. Miscellaneous underwear , night wear and four swimming costumes with two beach dresses and two sarongs, a cardigan, hoodie and outer jacket as we will be travelling from colder climes to warm.

It sounds even worse now I have typed it !!!

I know I should cut back but not getting my head around it !!

There are no lost causes. We attacked your footwear choices over in the Beauty and Fashion forum. Let's thin the rest of your packing down -- you don't have to go carry-on only this first time! I think dressing up is part of your holiday experience, and I wouldn't take that away from you.

For evening, see if you could do with two trousers and four blouses, plus six dresses. If the gold wedges are too sparkly for smart casual, make the black ones work for all the nights.

I will give you another "day bottom" assuming that one or more are capris or shorts, so four bottoms and the eight tops, two going with each bottom. Only 2 day dresses, but you must be sure you will wear them! Use your laundry privileges (don't take anything too delicate), minimize the time you are pressing things yourself.

I challenge you to halve the swimming attire: two bathing suits (as we call them this side of the Pond) and one each beach-dress and sarong. One to wear and one to rinse out and dry. NO ONE NOTICES!

The cardigan/hoodie/outer jacket is quite what I do. Good on you!!!

• Like 1

Thank you for your suggestions. I am an over packer and need to sort myself out. I am listening to what has been said, and trying to see how I could cut back.

I can fit everything into my 35KG hold plus 15kg cabin baggage allowance…so that is what makes me think I can pack more than I need to.

Will give myself a good talking to !

Thanks again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

I can fit everything into my 35KG hold plus 15kg cabin baggage allowance…so that is what makes me think I can pack more than I need to.

The problem with a 35kg (77lb!) suitcase with a 33lb tote or rollaboard is -- what if you have to handle it all yourself -- maybe up stairs? if the porters are nowhere to be found?

The other problem is, it will take a long while to unpack and even longer to RE-pack. When I was shepherding a family group of 9, mostly inexperienced cruisers, I packed a checked bag weighing about 20K -- it took FOREVER to re-pack and some things simply wouldn't fit! I left two un-used folding stools that turned out to be not needed by my mom or step-mom (both COPD patients) on excursions.

Resist the urge to take all you are allowed. Think how nice it will be to be having a beverage of your choice instead of laboring over packing those cases to go home!