Who cruises with Oceania?

tom_uk

This is my first post on CC for a long time, and my first post on this forum ever, so please bear with me.

My wife and I have a big anniversary coming up so we are looking to do something special in summer 2025. We're considering a cruise on a more upmarket line than we've ever done before, and on a smaller ship. We cruised extensively from about 2004 to 2018 on various mass-market lines out of the UK but then just stopped. I've been crawling all over the Oceania website, of course, and have narrowed it down to either a Mediterranean cruise on Nautica that summer - that ship seems visit a number of smaller ports which would suit us - or somewhere completely different, and for that I'm looking at the cruises on Insignia that go to, or start from, Montreal.

At the risk of attracting ire, I'll say that one of the reasons we stopped cruising was that we found we were constantly in the company of fellow Brits, and we do like to meet people from other places. (We also holiday here in the UK, and we enjoy meeting local people from all around our country on those occasions.) So my question is: who would be likely to be cruising with Oceania on those itineraries? Which nationalities?

Tom - I'm a British retiree from t'other side of the Pennines from you.

We first cruised in the late 80s & early 90s with P&O but became  disenchanted with all the formality (dress code, set times for  meals, etc). We didnt cruise for many years until, in 2015, we did a 4 day cruise from Miami as part of a wider trip to Florida. It prompted us to look again at a cruise and we came across Oceania. We liked the "feel" of it. Dress code is "country club casual" - pretty much meaningless to anyone not North American but think "smart casual" (chinos and polo shirt work fine for me at dinner). There's decent food and what I regard as a "small ship" ambiance. In terms of nationalities, you'll find that it's overwhelmingly North American. For example, we were on Nautica last summer - there were only 66 Britons on board. And, apparently, Britons are only the fifth largest group of Oceania's customers (after America, Canada, Australia and New Zealand). Unsurprisingly, you'll find that food is very much geared to American tastes, so the flavours of some dishes may not overly appeal to our more European palates. Oceania's advertising claims to have "the finest cuisine at sea" . I don't have much to compare that with but my bet is  this is more advertising puffery than fact. But the food is decent enough (an important issue for us - we are both foodies).

We've done two cruises with them. 2018 on Marina and, as I mentioned, last summer on Nautica. We have a third coming up in a few weeks on Vista. Yes, it is expensive and I am not at all sure how long our savings will last to fund this sort of holiday. Maybe the third will be our last; maybe another one. We enjoyed Nautica. Didnt feel constrained by the smaller ship but, generally speaking, probably prefer the larger ones. When we sailed on Marina, we were happy with a Concierge cabin and have booked similar for Vista. However, for Nautica, we'd noted the similar cabins  are smaller and there have been regular mentions of how small the shower cubicle is (check that out on the forum), so booked a penthouse. O  isnt particularly into entertainment, so you  won't find much happening during the day and evenings are fairly laid back affairs. 

Hope this helps a bit

John

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Harters said:

Tom - I'm a British retiree from t'other side of the Pennines from you.

John

Many thanks, John. We too were P&O customers for many years. I don't think we minded the formal stuff too much, but we became aware that costs were being cut and quality with it, and became increasingly disenchanted.

Many thanks for the comments re. Oceania - they're helpful. We were aware of the smaller cabins on the former R ships, but my wife especially is keen to cruise on a small ship, so I'm sure we'll manage. (In any case, we remember cabins on several older P&O ships that were even smaller.) We're happy with the mix of passengers, and also with the food - we have a daughter living in Mississippi so we're familiar with US food tastes!

I'm sure we can amuse ourselves during the days we're not ashore. In any case we've reached the age when an early night is more appealing than an evening partying...

On the two cruises on Oceania that I took within the last year, passengers from the US represented the largest group, followed by passengers from Canada. These had the highest numbers by far. After these groups came Aussies and Brits.

Azamara, which I also sailed with last year (I like the smaller ships of both lines) had a much higher number of Brits onboard.

The O cruises were 1) Iceland/Greenland/Canada and 2) Panama Canal. The Azamara cruises were in the Med. Not sure if that would make a difference as to the passenger makeup, as neither sailed from the UK.

I second everything Harters has said.

We have sailed nine times with them and have two more booked. In fact we should be on the Riviera now in Asia but had to cancel. We have sailed in Asia, the Caribbean, the Greek Islands and the Mediterranean with them. Undoubtedly the passengers largest passenger group was from North America but I have noticed a change in the last two years.

We sailed from Lisbon to Malta in summer 2022 down to the Canaries and then back through the Med, and whilst there were are a  lot of passengers from the USA I  noticed many more Europeans. I’m not sure that the Americans have got back their full appetite for travel yet. Anyway, we’ve always found a good mix of people.

Personally, I am happier sailing Oceania than I would be Saga, or P&O etc. 

I notice you’ve chosen two of the smaller ships. We’ve loved the smaller ships but sailed on the Riviera in autumn 2022 after being on the Nautica in that summer and I have to say we are veering more  towards  the O class ships. Mainly because they have four speciality restaurants and also they have cooking classes and an artists loft so there are a few more activities if that’s of interest to you.

I wouldn’t turn my nose up at any of the ships!

• Like 1

Just off Vista. Look at those cruises. It can only hold 1200 passengers and seems very uncrowded for most things . Vista has so many pluses compared to the smaller ships. 4 specialty restaurants and Aqua Mar kitchen (healthy foods), large barista area, bakery, cooking school, artist lessons, excellent entertainment every night, and much more. The ship in terms of design and interior decorations is a large step up from Riveria and Marina. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have a very successful Roll Call going right now for a cruise starting in April on Vista.  Looking at the nationalities I would say that maybe 75% or more are from the USA.  Of the rest, mostly Canadian with several Australians and one Kiwi.  Only two from the UK I think.  and then there is my husband and I - Swiss.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tom_uk said:

In any case, we remember cabins on several older P&O ships that were even smaller.

Our first cruise was on Canberra. Small Inside cabin with bunk beds. It was like sleeping on a shelf in a cupboard!

Edited by Harters

we're both from the UK and like you, we prefer a mix of nationalities. We're on a Tokyo to Singapore cruise later this year and have already linked up with some Aussies for a private tour. It will be our first Oceania cruise, though we've been with several other lines. Cunard is a favourite because of the mix of people but I have to say we're both looking forward to the less formal dress code on this one. 

Fellow Brit here but now living in the US.  One of the big advantages for us, was that there weren’t many Brits on Oceania 😆  Having been on 2 P&O cruises, we’ve found  there to be no comparison between the 2, in fact the second P&O cruise almost put me off cruising for good. 

I will say that we much prefer the larger O ships now, whilst the small ships are lovely, the larger ships just have more to offer, more choice of restaurants, better shows, and better cabins.

The passengers are predominantly American, (when sailing from Miami) and lots of other nationalities make it a good mix.  

Of course, the small ships have the advantage that they can get in to some ports that the larger ships can’t.  

@tom_uk

So the Med in Summer, hot but lots of Americans, Aussies, etc.  If I may offer a suggestion, Riviera will be sailing the Alaska season in place of Regatta. The Alaska sites are fantastic and definitely something special from what you could see in the UK or even Europe. Riviera’s rooms are much larger than Nautica or Insignia and you have all the O Class ship amenities, most specifically 4 Outstanding Specialty Restaurants. Something with 10 days or more could make a very memorable first Oceania cruise experience for a milestone Anniversary. We have done a number of Alaskan cruises and they can also be linked to Denali tours or a VERY special Rocky Mountaineer train trip into the Canadian Rockies. Actually something we are doing ourselves in August with friends. Check out the Rocky Mountaineer and discuss the option with your TA. Spectacular!  
Mauibabes

1 hour ago, mauibabes said:

they can also be linked to Denali tours or a VERY special Rocky Mountaineer train trip into the Canadian Rockies.

We did the Denali trip in conjunction with a cruise quite a few years ago. Enjoyed it honestly more than the cruise. Ports overcrowded with tourists from ships.  Did a portion of the Rocky Mountaineer trip, Vancouver to Jasper to Banff to Vancouver. Stayed nights in hotels so you didn't miss any sights while sleeping. Will never forget it.

• Like 1

I have cruised Oceania every year, excluding covid years, generally longer or B2B winter cruises around 20 days. My husband and I always cruised 'O' class Marina/Riviera as the 1250 guests is a good compromise with space and public areas plus if you go for a more central cabin you are never far from anywhere onboard! 

For context, since my husband died I am now cruising solo. I returned pre Christmas from my first 'R' class trip on Sirena which was a 24 night Amazon in an Oceanview (square window) cabin, I normally book verandah, this time I went for a £3000 saving made by taking the lower category, The cabin was beautiful, perfect for a solo but I know my husband & I would have been equally happy in this slightly smaller space. The bathroom, not so much, there is barely room for one in there and would require a rota for use if there are two. I did miss the verandah but I kept reminding myself of my £3000 saving plus I just spent more time on deck to compensate. 

I found the eating choices limiting and repetitive on the smaller ship of 650 passengers, remembering I was on board for 24 days,  I like meat but not regularly eating big slabs of steaks and the food was quite bland (spices/flavourings) compared to how I would cook.and the public areas were definitely lacking in comparison to 'O' class. The public areas were definitely lacking in comparison to 'O' class.

I have definitely found the standards of food and service have deteriorated greatly over the years I don't know if the Amazon trip was a particular struggle for O but I have never seen senior Managers constantly serving in restaurants and in the buffet! No pool service, tables left uncleared, a struggle for service. Now that being said you will probably not notice these issues having never sailed O before and the standards of P&O are definitely much lower than O, I did one P&O trip and never returned. Possibly the issues I am many other of the guests on the Amazon trip were unique to that cruise or possibly the smaller ships are not staffed so well leaving no comfort zone for staff illness etc. All that being said I still had a wonderful cruise and the mainly  North Americans I met on board were as friendly, welcoming and inclusive as ever and were a huge part of the enjoyment of my cruise.

One of the reasons my husband and I no longer sailed P&O was the exact reason you highlighted in your post.

I have attached some photographs of my cabin, including one of my foot inside the shower to give context to the size.

IMG_4223.jpeg

IMG_4225.jpeg

IMG_4226.jpeg

IMG_4231.jpeg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tine-tine said:

including one of my foot inside the shower to give context to the size

Gosh! I read about the small showers on the R class, which is why we booked a PH on Nautica - but I hadnt realised just how small they are. OK, I'm a fat man but not enormous but I'm not sure I'd fit in it. 

@Harters Don't worry, the doors split in two and can be opened outwards. there is a channel drain below the opening if you need to have doors open. The shower is slightly trapezoid being widest at the plumbing end, I too carry a fair bit of heft and survived plus I knew before I travelled it was small so had mentally prepared in advance! 😱 small but functional I think is the appropriate comment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Harters said:

Gosh! I read about the small showers on the R class, which is why we booked a PH on Nautica - but I hadnt realised just how small they are. OK, I'm a fat man but not enormous but I'm not sure I'd fit in it. 

This is exactly why we book a PH on R class. 

• Like 1

Last April we were on The Riviera. Was our first Oceania cruise and loved it. We were in the Mediterranean. Most passengers on our cruise were American with other nationalities sprinkled in. Probably 20% of the passengers were oriental. Travelling in big groups. Not sure what country they were from but most could not speak English.

Warning about taking a cruise with Oceania............you will never be able to go back to a mainstream cruise line. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mexicobob said:

Last April we were on The Riviera. Was our first Oceania cruise and loved it. We were in the Mediterranean. Most passengers on our cruise were American with other nationalities sprinkled in. Probably 20% of the passengers were oriental. Travelling in big groups. Not sure what country they were from but most could not speak English.

Warning about taking a cruise with Oceania............you will never be able to go back to a mainstream cruise line. 

When we cruise we enjoy meeting people and communicating with passengers coming from the different parts of the world. Some became our friends we are in touch with for years. It’d be kind of hard if 20% of the passengers could not speak English.

• Like 1

We absolutely love when there are a variety of nationalities onboard; makes the cruise much more interesting.  Europe is our favorite place to cruise, but we decided to do the Caribbean, after several decades.  Both of us said never, ever again, as it was mostly Floridians who stayed onboard and it seemed so crowded on certain decks.  We had been on the same ship in Europe for a b2b and it was just the opposite...wonderful and full of different nationalities, not to mention culture, history and educational experiences.  Our first cruise with Ocean is a TA on Vista.  Our first time to try a smaller ship, so hoping that we’ll like it.  Half the fun is trying something new while on your way to another country to stay and explore.

Edited by Lastdance

One never knows who will be aboard. We did a 17 day HK-Bangkok cruise on Nautica back in 17 I think. There were more Germans, Austrians, and Swiss combined than Americans or Brits. According to those passengers, Oceania had done a huge sale in their countries , for a few cruises, to attract more 1st time Oceania customers. The prices they quoted were very impressive and I the sale obviously worked ! We in the States never saw any offers like that. All this to say, one never knows what the passenger mix will be.

• Like 2

The biggest bulk of the passengers are American. After that the lineup changes according to where you are travelling.  Usually the top 5 nationalities will be Australia, Canada, Britain, and another European country.  Last year on the Nautica, there was more Dutch, Germans and another country than Canadians.  The Mediterranean cruises tend to have more representation from Europe.  Hope that helps. 

At the Captain's Party the CD or someone else in the crew will give you the "statistics" for the passengers. On our recent 20-night B2B on Riviera (Trieste to Athens and Athens to Barcelona), 10-11/2023 Americans and Canadians were 1st and 2nd both segments. By whopping margin for #1 and then a drop to #2, still a lot. BUT we had a huge Asian contingent (esp. Hong Kong). There are so many Canadians that O did a Canadian-specific newspaper supplement in the Currents. And the Concierge lounge even had a Canadian newspaper, along with 3 American and 2 UK.

• Like 1