Reservation Change

We are doing a Canada/New England cruise this fall. My parents were supposed to be going with us.  My mom (who has Parkinson’s), my dad and my aunt were going to be sharing room 1814 on Liberty of the seas which is a handicap accessible ocean view room.   My mom’s health has gotten worse this last year and they have made the decision to not join us.  (They have trip insurance so cancelling their room should not be an issue. 

My in-laws are now considering joining us.  So here’s my question, if I were to take off my dads name and my aunts name and added my father in law and mother in laws name instead and my mom (who is the first name on the reservation) would just be a no show would that cause an issue?  My father in law has Huntingtons, so they would still qualify for the handicap accessible room.   

Also, my father in law is not in a wheel chair yet.  He has mobility issues especially early mornings and late at night and having the seat in the shower would be something he would need. Would he need to bring paperwork showing his condition so they don’t question if he should be in a handicap room or not?

16 minutes ago, BeaconHill said:

Would he need to bring paperwork showing his condition so they don’t question if he should be in a handicap room or not?

Welcome to CC.

RCI typically doesn't care about the health status of folks in an accessible cabin.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BeaconHill said:

So here’s my question, if I were to take off my dads name and my aunts name and added my father in law and mother in laws name instead and my mom (who is the first name on the reservation) would just be a no show would that cause an issue?  

Only if your in laws have the same family name as your parents.... Otherwise, you'll need to cancel the room and at the same time book it again for your in laws.

For the reservation to avoid repricing, at least one person on the original reservation must sail.  So if everyone originally booked on that reservation are now NOT going, you cannot substitute names and keep the same pricing.

What would happen if you keep your mother's name on the booking and then she is a no-show ?  Truly, I don't know.  Maybe they would not notice.  Maybe they would.  What they would do about it if they DO notice....is a guess.  I suppose you could take that chance and see.  ....but you should be prepared to have to reprice the booking on the spot.  Not sure they would go to that trouble, but who knows,,,

1 hour ago, BeaconHill said:

(They have trip insurance so cancelling their room should not be an issue. 

My in-laws are now considering joining us.  So here’s my question, if I were to take off my dads name and my aunts name and added my father in law and mother in laws name instead and my mom (who is the first name on the reservation) would just be a no show would that cause an issue?  

You won't be able to cancel all three right away and collect on the trip insurance. One of the original names must stay on the reservation to change the other two. Your mom can then be a no-show at the pier and your in-laws will be fine. I'm not sure how your insurance policy works but you may be able to get your mother's fare back after she no-shows.

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC.

RCI typically doesn't care about the health status of folks in an accessible cabin.

That’s sad to me that people who don’t actually need the rooms can still get them. 

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Only if your in laws have the same family name as your parents.... Otherwise, you'll need to cancel the room and at the same time book it again for your in laws.

So they don’t have the same last name as my parents however my aunt that is also staying in the same room doesn’t have the same last name as my parents either so I’m not sure why that would matter. 

17 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

You won't be able to cancel all three right away and collect on the trip insurance. One of the original names must stay on the reservation to change the other two. Your mom can then be a no-show at the pier and your in-laws will be fine. I'm not sure how your insurance policy works but you may be able to get your mother's fare back after she no-shows.

We are ok to not collect the trip insurance at all.  We would only need to do that if it doesn’t work out for my in-laws to take the room.   Someone above stated that if my mom ends up being a no show that RC may cancel the reservation and rebook at a different price once we board the ship. Is that possible if she is a no show?  

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Dani, the same last name won't matter.  As long as one original guest remains on the booking the other names can be changed up to 72 hours prior to sailing.  

42 minutes ago, BeaconHill said:

So they don’t have the same last name as my parents however my aunt that is also staying in the same room doesn’t have the same last name as my parents either so I’m not sure why that would matter. 

It won't matter.

Only one original guest needs to remain on the booking.  Last names or any name is irrelevant. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It won't matter.

Only one original guest needs to remain on the booking.  Last names or any name is irrelevant. 

But doesn’t that original name have to sail ?  I think the OP is asking if they can change 2 names and then have the last original name on the booking be a no-show.

We are ok to not collect the trip insurance at all.  We would only need to do that if it doesn’t work out for my in-laws to take the room.   Someone above stated that if my mom ends up being a no show that RC may cancel the reservation and rebook at a different price once we board the ship. Is that possible if she is a no show?  

If the cruise isn't until this fall, you are well before final payment, so you can just cancel. If the room was booked with a non-refundable deposit, that is all you would lose at this point. If it were me, I would cancel and rebook with the new names. Saves worrying about all the what ifs. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

But doesn’t that original name have to sail ?  I think the OP is asking if they can change 2 names and then have the last original name on the booking be a no-show.

Nope.  The original name is a no show. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, hapster85 said:

If the cruise isn't until this fall, you are well before final payment, so you can just cancel. If the room was booked with a non-refundable deposit, that is all you would lose at this point. If it were me, I would cancel and rebook with the new names. Saves worrying about all the what ifs. 

Why would you cancel if yhere is a nrd deposit orcthe price has gone up.  

It's a simple switch, there are no what is.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

That’s sad to me that people who don’t actually need the rooms can still get them. 

It's my understanding that these rooms are not placed into the general pool of rooms you can book online and can only be booked by calling RC.  At a certain point, they are released and sometimes assigned as GTY rooms (someone once posted on the CC forums about being horrified about having the cruise line assign her one of these rooms as a gty because she didn't want to block people who really needed them.  

43 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

It's my understanding that these rooms are not placed into the general pool of rooms you can book online and can only be booked by calling RC.  At a certain point, they are released and sometimes assigned as GTY rooms (someone once posted on the CC forums about being horrified about having the cruise line assign her one of these rooms as a gty because she didn't want to block people who really needed them.  

They are available without calling.  

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Nope.  The original name is a no show. 

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Why would you cancel if yhere is a nrd deposit orcthe price has gone up.  

It's a simple switch, there are no what is.

Do we know for certain that this situation won't cause a reprice late, when fares will likely be even higher, or are we just guessing? If we know for certain, then sure, add/swap the new names and be done with it. From the earlier comments, there seemed to be uncertainty in that regard. 

9 minutes ago, hapster85 said:

Do we know for certain that this situation won't cause a reprice late, when fares will likely be even higher, or are we just guessing? If we know for certain, then sure, add/swap the new names and be done with it. From the earlier comments, there seemed to be uncertainty in that regard. 

No way it would be repriced at ck in. Ck in people could care less what you paid or who shows up or not

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hapster85 said:

I would not be posting it if I had any uncertainty.  Comments seem to be from people who are guessing as opposed to actual experience.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BeaconHill said:

It's against the law for rcl to ask what someone disability it. Hippa and all that stuff.