Greatest number of pairs of shoes taken on a cruise.

Out of curiosity, I would be interested to know the greatest number of pairs of shoes taken on a cruise. Being an over packer, I have asked for advice in packing shoes, but can’t seem to get my head around the sensible people saying 3-4 pairs.

Never packed more than 4 pairs of shoes on any trip. Honestly I can’t imagine ever packing more than 5 which would include hiking, city walking shoes, sandals, heels and flip flops. Most trips 3 is plenty. Also these include the pair I am wearing so in my bag there is usually only 2 pairs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Out of curiosity, I would be interested to know the greatest number of pairs of shoes taken on a cruise. Being an over packer, I have asked for advice in packing shoes, but can’t seem to get my head around the sensible people saying 3-4 pairs.

I can only speak for myself, and that is three -- clogs/slides for around the ship, trainers for excursions, black flipflops for dinner. My husband likes to take two, just to alternate. We leave in two weeks on a tropical island cruise to which we will not be flying, so I may sneak in all-plastic flipflops for me, Teva sandals for him, for "beach days" (we do not snorkel, but this was his choice to celebrate retirement... four years ago).

• Like 1

Cruises or any holiday I would take 4 maximum, 1 of which would be on my feet, 3 in suitcase.

Flip flops or flat easy to slide into  sandals, maybe both,  good walking shoes, dressy sandals or ankle boots ( depending on weather) for dressy occasions. So possibly only 3. 

I'm not good at packing light, probably take too many clothes but certainly not struggling  with weight or space of more shoes.

That seems sensible to me.

Back in a day a long time ago, I used to always have two bags with me.....I'd say easiily 7 pairs of shoes.  These days, it's usually 4.  I can pack light, but I never know how happy my feet are going to be after an excursion, comfortable shoes or not.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Thanks, ladies.. I was hoping to read that some carry double figures of pairs of shoes….

Then this should make your day😂.  We are leaving on a 28 day cruise Saturday to Australia with an extra 10 days to visit to visit our son.  At this point, I have reduced the number of shoes I am packing to 11😂😂

Sherri🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Sherri….

youre a girl after my own heart!  I’ve been known to take an even dozen for a 10 day Caribbean! 🥿👡🩴🥿👡🩴🥿👡🩴🥿👡🩴

k🛳😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, clo said:

How do these differ in function? Assuming you're not playing tennis 🙂

They are interchangeable with many outfits, and if I were going on a three-day cruise I might consider bringing only one of the two; however, their function does differ: 

I always wear little white Keds or white Vans on a cruise ... they look cute with a tee-shirt dress or a shorts outfit.  Since we only cruise in the fall /occasionally early winter, the tennis shoes are more weather-appropriate for the drive to and from the Carolinas.  I like to wear the tennis shoes for boarding ... seems more solid, more protective.  I also prefer them for going ashore and for walking on the track.  I've kinda quit running on cruises, so they don't matter for that reason.  

I usually go with a medium-brown sandal with some arch support and wide straps.  I like these for around the ship because they are easy to slip on and off, and they're best for the beach or the pool ... though I don't (purposefully) wear them in the water.  

I have some foot problems, and being able to change my shoes feels good.  Both these shoes are daily workhorses for me, and two pair doesn't feel like overkill:  One recent cruise we were caught in an absolute downpour in Cozumel, and my sandals were soaked through ... stayed wet for a day.  I was glad to have a backup pair.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I was glad to have a backup pair. 

A backup is good. Never know when one shoe or other is going to have a fatal breakdown!

I went to Ecuador/Galapagos (not a cruise) with only the short boot-shoes on my feet, only to have the heel fall off one in the Quito airport! Fortunately our hotel was a block away from an indoor mall. Then we went to Alaska (cruise and two-week self-drive) and THE HEEL FELL OFF MY HIKING SHOE in the AIRPORT. Having learned something from the earlier experience, I had packed a pair of Merrell "mocs" -- like clogs but with a back to the heel -- which were all I had to wear for three weeks. Fortunately, we had good weather and never got soaked.

23 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

A backup is good. Never know when one shoe or other is going to have a fatal breakdown!

I went to Ecuador/Galapagos (not a cruise) with only the short boot-shoes on my feet, only to have the heel fall off one in the Quito airport! Fortunately our hotel was a block away from an indoor mall. Then we went to Alaska (cruise and two-week self-drive) and THE HEEL FELL OFF MY HIKING SHOE in the AIRPORT. Having learned something from the earlier experience, I had packed a pair of Merrell "mocs" -- like clogs but with a back to the heel -- which were all I had to wear for three weeks. Fortunately, we had good weather and never got soaked.

Holey moley. Good anecdotes.

• Haha 1

Sherri - that sounds like a plan..and certainly closer to my thinking. Thanks very much. Happy Cruise. We are in Australia for 26 night cruise with a few days pre and post cruise in Singapore and Sydney

Grammie K- I’m not quite up to a dozen for ten days….but could work on it !!!

👟👠👡🩴👟👠👡🩴

15 hours ago, crystalspin said:

A shoe isn't likely to have a breakdown.  I personally have gone a lifetime without breaking a single heel, though now that I've said that I'm sure to do it next week. 

BUT if your shoe does "break" in some way and you have no backup, you're screwed.  Ruin your shirt, and you might be disappointed, but you have other shirts -- and can buy other shirts.  Shoes aren't as easy.  

• Like 2

On 2/5/2024 at 2:31 AM, Reina del Mar said:

Thanks, ladies.. I was hoping to read that some carry double figures of pairs of shoes….

Watch some YouTube videos of people on the Ultimate World Cruise. I saw one that had an entire over-the-door organizer full of shoes. Including about 5 pairs of white tennis shoes. 😄 

• Like 1

I am prone to over packing and  but back ups of shoes is not something I have considered - risk analysis  I suppose - the liklihood of a shoe breaking is too small for me to pack another pair as back up

I take  3 - 4 pairs -  I can always improvise with the ones I have if such an unlikely thing happened - and/or buy pair of flip flops/ basic shoes  at  airport / on board / on shore.

Tennis shoes (or sneakers if that’s what you may call them), daytime sandals, black nighttime sandals, flip-flops, water shoes, slippers to wear in the stateroom. I don’t ever go barefoot. EW! 😉

5 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

A shoe isn't likely to have a breakdown.  I personally have gone a lifetime without breaking a single heel, though now that I've said that I'm sure to do it next week. 

BUT if your shoe does "break" in some way and you have no backup, you're screwed.  Ruin your shirt, and you might be disappointed, but you have other shirts -- and can buy other shirts.  Shoes aren't as easy.  

It's not always a "break" -- shoes can also get soaking wet (especially sneakers); so wet that you really can't get them dry in one night. 

Or, if you have problem feet like me, you may find that shoes that feel perfectly comfortable at home, even for long walks, are less comfortable in extreme heat and humidity. 

Whatever. Since sightseeing is the primary reason I travel, I always have two pairs of "walking shoes". They may be somewhat different in appearance so as to be versatile, but both should be able to log the miles if needed.

Edited to add: I forgot to add that many podiatrists recommend switching off shoes and not wearing the same ones every day -- apparently it's better for your feet. Another good reason to have 2 different walking shoes.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

It's not always a "break" -- shoes can also get soaking wet (especially sneakers); so wet that you really can't get them dry in one night. 

Or, if you have problem feet like me, you may find that shoes that feel perfectly comfortable at home, even for long walks, are less comfortable in extreme heat and humidity. 

Whatever. Since sightseeing is the primary reason I travel, I always have two pairs of "walking shoes". They may be somewhat different in appearance so as to be versatile, but both should be able to log in the miles if needed.

Old running trick is stuffing crumpled newspaper in your shoes. Helps them dry out extra fast. I’m actually grabbing a local paper on my way to the shop on my next cruise since I expect to need it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Usually three pairs. I wear my sneakers and take a pair of semi-dressy sandals, and add a pair of Tevas if we go anywhere I expect to be on a beach. I used to take heels for formal nights, but quit that a few years back. Now if I could stop taking too many clothes. . .

• Like 1