Booking 5

We've sailed on RCCL, NCL, Carnival and have an upcoming cruise with MSC. On all the lines we've sailed with we can make reservations for 5 in a cabin, except with RCCL. The travel agent had to book 4 under one reservation, then a single person under another, then link the two reservations. Makes no sense and I'm wondering if anyone knows why RCCL does it this way.

On a related note, is it possible to determine total pricing for 5 in a cabin before booking?

4 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

If I were booking for a party of five, I'd want two connecting rooms.  You can see that cost online.  

There were 5 of us last year sharing the same cabin on Odyssey and it wasn't bad at all. I imagine lots of families with two adults and three kids would want to share a room. Five adults, maybe not so much, and may want two connecting rooms.

When I book with NCL or Carnival I get to enter 5 guests when searching for sailings and the results displayed are prices/cabins able to hold 5. I can see total pricing before booking and I'm wondering why RCCL doesn't do it the same way.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, lumofny said:

There were 5 of us last year sharing the same cabin on Odyssey and it wasn't bad at all. I imagine lots of families with two adults and three kids would want to share a room. Five adults, maybe not so much, and may want two connecting rooms.

When I book with NCL or Carnival I get to enter 5 guests when searching for sailings and the results displayed are prices/cabins able to hold 5. I can see total pricing before booking and I'm wondering why RCCL doesn't do it the same way.

Because you are adding a 5th pax to a 4 pax cabin, not designed for 5, but rcl allows it if you call. 

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Because you are adding a 5th pax to a 4 pax cabin, not designed for 5, but rcl allows it if you call. 

There are some (not many) listed as 5+ capacity on their deck plans for certain ships. I had specifically book one of those cabins, then call to have the 5th added. Seems like it would have been easier to display only rooms with a capacity of 5 when making an online reservation for 5.

39 minutes ago, lumofny said:

There are some (not many) listed as 5+ capacity on their deck plans for certain ships. I had specifically book one of those cabins, then call to have the 5th added. Seems like it would have been easier to display only rooms with a capacity of 5 when making an online reservation for 5.

Royal Caribbean's website does not allow more than five on one reservation, no matter the capacity of the cabin.  It is archaic, but it is just how the system "works".  It is better to just call and book directly since you need to make sure you can book five in the cabin.  Sometimes larger capacity rooms, like the one you have booked, are limited to how many that can be booked because the lifeboat assigned to that cabin has reached capacity.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lumofny said:

On a related note, is it possible to determine total pricing for 5 in a cabin before booking?

To determine total pricing for five guests:

On the website select the sailing you want, specify 4 guests, then find the cabin type. On the left side you will see the total pricing after discounts but not broken out by passenger. To get the price per passenger you need to select a specific cabin number. Once you do this you will see on the left hand side in the "Summary" section there will be a link that says "View pricing by guest". Click on this and it will break out the price for each person. Guests 3 and 4 will be the same price. Guest #5 would also be that same price so add that amount to the amount shown for 4 guests and that will be your price for 5. 

This is on a computer, not sure how this information shows up in the app but I'm guessing it is similar. 

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

That’s not correct. There are many cabins designed for 5+ but the RC website is just too poorly designed to handle it 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

That’s not correct. There are many cabins designed for 5+ but the RC website is just too poorly designed to handle it 

Yes you are correct there are many cabins for 5 or more. Some have two bathrooms which can make them a better option than two separate cabins. 

The problem is deeper than the website. The entire reservation system can only handle 4 people maximum on a reservation. Additional people go on a separate reservation number for the same cabin, and the two reservations are linked. 

The problem with the website is there is no way to book the two reservations yourself. You can book the cabin for 4 people but then you have to call and add additional people. After all this time and with the newest ships having a lot of suites that accommodate more than 4 people you'd think they would upgrade their systems. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, firefly333 said:

RCL has 5 person cabins on some ships. I do not think they allow 5 in a 4 person cabin.

10 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

RCL has 5 person cabins on some ships. I do not think they allow 5 in a 4 person cabin.

Maybe its changed. Lomg ago I remember a mom called and was allowed her baby as a 5th in a 4 pax cabin. Used to be allowed from what I've read. 

7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Not always true.  There are many cabins that are designed for 5 or 6 out there.  Well, not many, but some.

3 hours ago, SG65CB said:

To determine total pricing for five guests:

On the website select the sailing you want, specify 4 guests, then find the cabin type. On the left side you will see the total pricing after discounts but not broken out by passenger. To get the price per passenger you need to select a specific cabin number. Once you do this you will see on the left hand side in the "Summary" section there will be a link that says "View pricing by guest". Click on this and it will break out the price for each person. Guests 3 and 4 will be the same price. Guest #5 would also be that same price so add that amount to the amount shown for 4 guests and that will be your price for 5.

This is what we used to do as well.  Great if you can get a Kids sail Free and have 3 or 4 kids in the cabin and the discount applies.  Managed to book a few of these family oceanview cabins that hold 6 in the past where all 4 kids were free (pay only the port fees and taxes) - but they do jack up the price of the 1st two guests, so it is not as good a deal as it may seem.

Even if you use a travel agent, they have to call in themselves to book these cabins that hold more than 4 people.  But the great thing about using a good travel agent is they do all the legwork for you and know the ins and outs of doing this.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Maybe its changed. Lomg ago I remember a mom called and was allowed her baby as a 5th in a 4 pax cabin. Used to be allowed from what I've read. 

Our DD's TA was able to book five pax in a JS when the web site showed a capacity of five, even though she couldn't do it online. Granted, pax #5 was only one year old but it was booked nonetheless albeit (as others mention) under two separate reservations.

10 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Pretty sure all cabins allow an extra person above the stated capacity if it's an infant under 2.

Edited by Biker19

22 hours ago, lumofny said:

Makes no sense and I'm wondering if anyone knows why RCCL does it this way.

It is due to system limitations with their reservation system and the current system cannot be fixed or modified to allow for this.  It is a well known issue at Royal and will be fixed when their new booking platform is rolled out (projected date is 2028)