"Needed" Items

Hi all,

This will be DH and my first cruise.  We are going on a European cruise, Spain, France and Italy at the end of April through the beginning of May.  I realize "need" is subjective but there are a couple of things that I have been debating whether they will be worth buying just for this trip.

1.  Camera - with today's smart phones is a camera really necessary?

2.  Swimsuit - I am not a big swimmer and while I would enjoy the hot tub it is not a deal breaker for me to not use it.  None of the excursions we have planned are beach excursions so with this being the case is a swimsuit necessary, especially since I doubt I will wear it again after this trip.

Any other ideas for "needed" items that you can/can't live without while on a cruise would be greatly appreciated.  I am an over packer and am trying to whittle down my list as much as possible 🙂 

Thanks!!

I honestly believe that first time cruisers only “need” one thing: to get their butt on the boat. A passport, visa if necessary, flight to Europe, etc. pretty much everything else is optional. As for your specific questions:

Your phone will take plenty great pictures for posting on Facebook/Instagram etc, or just sharing with friends when you get back. No need for a camera unless you just enjoy it as a hobby. 

No need for a swimsuit. If the hot tub does call, shorts and a t-shirt work in a pinch. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, eeden1 said:

2.  Swimsuit - I am not a big swimmer and while I would enjoy the hot tub it is not a deal breaker for me to not use it.  None of the excursions we have planned are beach excursions so with this being the case is a swimsuit necessary, especially since I doubt I will wear it again after this trip.

I only take a smartphone on European cruises because the focal lengths are fine for Europe. I do bring a swimsuit because sometimes using the hot tub is soothing. It really does not take up much packing space.

You need your phone charger and cables. Sunscreen, a small daypack. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Is a camera necessary? If you have to ask, then the answer is no. If photography was really important to you, you would already know whether you needed your camera or not. But dont forget your phone charger and cable.

If swimming isn't something you want to do, then don't bring the suit. But really, how much room does one suit take? 

But DO bring a basic first aid kit, and OTC meds like anti nausea, anti diarrhea, antihistamine meds- you may have difficulty finding your usual meds once ashore, and they likely won't be in the ship shops.

Also bring all the sunscreen that you will need for the trip. It's ridiculously  overpriced on the ship.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eeden1 said:

2.  Swimsuit - I am not a big swimmer and while I would enjoy the hot tub it is not a deal breaker for me to not use it.  

I vote for smartphone only and no swimsuit (after packing them several cruises and never using). 

What cruiseline are you sailing?

Posted (edited)

eeden, I am finalizing my packing list for 3 weeks in France at the end of the month for a river cruise.  I've always taken whatever I want, I'm a clotheshorse ... but getting tired of wrangling that big bag.  My bag for a two week Med cruise last fall weighed 30 pounds (astonishing for me) and that was fine.  This France trip I'm shooting for 25#.  I've really pared down the wardrobe, everything works with everything else, all hand washable and needs no pressing.  I won't bring any special clothing for dinner this trip, but a nice scarf and pretty earrings.  2 pairs walking shoes, sandals and flippers.

But I can't live without my feather pillow, an unlined windbreaker, a heavy silk cardigan, lightweight travel vest and a day pack for Shore Exs.  A baseball cap if it rains, my lounging outfit ... L/S shirt & pants in very lightweight jersey (Virgin Atlantic jammies that they give away), good enough to wear around the ship.  Just bought a very small camera with a viewfinder and good zoom.  Phone takes fine pictures, but I want a little more finesse, esp in bright light.  No swim suit, you couldn't ever get me into those hot tubs or pools on cruiseships.  Pack light and enjoy the journey as well as the cruise.

Edited by jsn55
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It sounds like you don't currently have a swimsuit and would have to buy one. If that's the case, and you don't think you'd likely wear it while onboard, then I see no reason why you'd need to buy one just for this cruise. (For the record, I almost never bring a suit on a destination-intensive cruise like yours.)

One thing I would mention is the need to have good, sturdy broken-in shoes for walking. Sightseeing in Europe can be rough on the feet, especially if there's lots of city walking. You need at least one pair of shoes with closed toes and a sturdy (not too flexible) sole so you don't get stone bruises if you will be walking on cobblestones. I always being two pairs of walking shoes so I can alternate every so often, which is better for your feet, and also just in case anything happens to my main pair.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, eeden1 said:

Hi all,

This will be DH and my first cruise.  We are going on a European cruise, Spain, France and Italy at the end of April through the beginning of May.  I realize "need" is subjective but there are a couple of things that I have been debating whether they will be worth buying just for this trip.

I am not writing this to push viewers to our cruise videos, but we do produce a video from every cruise that we have been on.  

I am only encouraging you to look at the videos in answer to your question "Is a camera really necessary"?  (There is a link below in my signature to our YouTube Channel - LK Travel Journal)

No, a camera is not necessary.  We used to carry expensive cameras around our necks and found that when we were climbing steep stairs that did not have handrails and other types of activities that we get up to on excursions that you were constantly holding the camera so that it would not smash against whatever.  The camera was becoming a burden to us.

Now, over the last 5 years, we have ONLY used iPhones for our pictures that are turned into videos.

I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max and my husband got the iPhone 14 when it came out for the upgrade of the camera.

We ONLY take landscape photos, never (or rarely) portrait because we don't want the bands of black on either side of the video.

We also take an extraordinary amount of videos even if they are only 8-10 seconds in length because when they are made into the video, it gives us much more flexibility in the scene. 

We often play music on our smart TV and the screen saver is our travel photos - this is another reason to take landscape and not portrait pictures, again so that you don't have the black bands and the picture will fill the screen.

Hope this helps...

• Thanks 2

I would say don’t bring a lovely, new, expensive bathing suit on a cruise, or if you do, only use it for sunbathing. I’ve heard so many stories about the chemicals/salt water really giving a bathing suit a beating. (I don’t know first-hand. I can swim, and I will swim to avoid drowning, but I don’t enjoy it. And I’m really not keen on the “human soup” effect of loads of people sharing small pools and hot tubs!) Bring an old but still presentable suit if you can. That way you won’t mind so much if all the colour leaches out of it! 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I'll say up front, I'm the opposite of an over-packer.  

I prefer a real camera.  1) They don't go through batteries as quickly as a phone, and you can carry extra batteries in your purse.  You may not be able to recharge your phone during a full day's exploring.  2) As a retired photography teacher, I know I get better photographs with a real camera.  

I would bring a swimsuit.  It takes very little space in your bag, and relaxing in the hot tub after walking all day would be pleasant.  If you're going to need to buy one, consider looking to ebay to pay as little as possible.  I've never had any problems with suits being ruined onboard.  

Day wear.  Since you're going to Europe, I'm assuming you'll be dressing nicely -- pants and nice blouses?  I'd bring 1-2 pair of dark jeans or pants that can be worn multiple days.  Add a fresh blouse for each day and a light jacket that'll match everything, and you'll be set.  

Dinner wear.  I like to wear dresses, and I'd pack one for every two evenings.  No one will notice if you "repeat", and you're probably not going to go to the Main Dining Room every evening anyway.  

Shoes.  Someone above already said, Bring comfortable, worn-in shoes.  Very good advice.  Don't over-pack shoes; they're serious space hogs.  My rule is 3 pair of shoes ... I board wearing tennis shoes, pack one pair of comfortable sandals, and one pair of dinner shoes.  Choose basic colors that'll match everything you're taking.  If my plans include water-based excursions, I'd add water shoes ... but you've indicated that's not a need for you.    

I'd bring an attractive backpack /one that doesn't look trail-ready as a carry-on for Embarkation day ... then use it for your daily shore-trips bag.  Definitely go with something hands-free.  Another good option is a Healthy Back Bag ... I have a medium and a large (both purchased off ebay), and they're very comfortable option.

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

We use cameras .Actually ones with film that have to be developed.

They still make those?  ROFL.

7 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

They still make those?  ROFL.

Not only do they still make them but CVS is always very busy in their film development department.For my 50th.birthday my family bought me a Canon camera that takes great pictures.That was many,many years ago.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Not only do they still make them but CVS is always very busy in their film development department.For my 50th.birthday my family bought me a Canon camera that takes great pictures.That was many,many years ago.

In 2018, Canon stopped making and selling film cameras :). My Grandchildren have never seen film and would have no clue as to what it is!  I used to develop my own film....but that was back in the 60s and 70s. 

Hank

Edited by Hlitner
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

In 2018, Canon stopped making and selling film cameras :). My Grandchildren have never seen film and would have no clue as to what it is!

Hank

This was way before 2018.We did a family cruise for my 70th.birthday.

My grandchildren have been with us when we took pictures with our cameras ,however,I do not think they were ever with us when we had pictures developed.I was at a HS reunion in 2011 and I believe that everyone brought cameras.

27 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

In 2018, Canon stopped making and selling film cameras :). My Grandchildren have never seen film and would have no clue as to what it is!  I used to develop my own film....but that was back in the 60s and 70s. 

Hank

My DW also used to develop film, but of course everything is now digital. And she always brings a camera on our cruises.

42 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I prefer a real camera.  1) They don't go through batteries as quickly as a phone, and you can carry extra batteries in your purse.  You may not be able to recharge your phone during a full day's exploring.  

I don't run out of power on my iPhone 15 Pro Max, it hss a large battery, but I carry a power bank just in case. I stopped carrying "real" camera on vacations a few year ago and have not looked back. If I was going to Alaska I would bring one but a smartphone camera is perfect for Europe. I am also doing a lot of video now and an iPhone is the best travel video camera. They are even used now for 'Real" movies.  

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I vote for smartphone only and no swimsuit (after packing them several cruises and never using). 

What cruiseline are you sailing?

We are sailing on the Celebrity Ascent. 

11 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

It sounds like you don't currently have a swimsuit and would have to buy one. If that's the case, and you don't think you'd likely wear it while onboard, then I see no reason why you'd need to buy one just for this cruise. (For the record, I almost never bring a suit on a destination-intensive cruise like yours.)

One thing I would mention is the need to have good, sturdy broken-in shoes for walking. Sightseeing in Europe can be rough on the feet, especially if there's lots of city walking. You need at least one pair of shoes with closed toes and a sturdy (not too flexible) sole so you don't get stone bruises if you will be walking on cobblestones. I always being two pairs of walking shoes so I can alternate every so often, which is better for your feet, and also just in case anything happens to my main pair.

I don't have one and am having a hard time finding one that fits properly that I'm comfortable in so was definitely leaning towards no suit.

I just bought a pair of hiking boots from Skechers.  I'm in the process of wearing them in now.  Didn't think about a second pair of walking shoes.  Definitely something I'll consider.

5 hours ago, lisiamc said:

I would say don’t bring a lovely, new, expensive bathing suit on a cruise, or if you do, only use it for sunbathing. I’ve heard so many stories about the chemicals/salt water really giving a bathing suit a beating. (I don’t know first-hand. I can swim, and I will swim to avoid drowning, but I don’t enjoy it. And I’m really not keen on the “human soup” effect of loads of people sharing small pools and hot tubs!) Bring an old but still presentable suit if you can. That way you won’t mind so much if all the colour leaches out of it! 

Unfortunately I don't currently own a swimsuit so it would definitely be a new one.  And since I'm not much of a sunbather either it's definitely looking like it won't be worth the money to get one.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Regarding your question about choosing between a smartphone and a traditional camera for photography, the answer largely hinges on the type of smartphone you have. For instance, if you own an iPhone 12 or a newer model, I would recommend using it for photography during your travels, for several reasons:

1. Ease of Use and Speed: Smartphones are user-friendly and quick to operate. The best travel photo is often the one that captures a fleeting moment before it's gone, and smartphones excel at this.

2. Discretion: When photographing people, especially in candid situations, a smartphone is less intrusive and noticeable. This helps in capturing authentic moments without making others feel uncomfortable.

3. Low-Light Performance: While it's true that smartphones may not perform as well as traditional cameras in low-light conditions, the quality they offer is generally manageable and acceptable for most situations.

4. Portability vs. Zoom Capabilities: Though smartphones might not boast the most powerful zoom, the trade-off is their unmatched portability. This is particularly advantageous when compared to carrying heavy camera lenses during travel.

Overall, while a traditional camera might have certain advantages, the convenience and functionality of a modern smartphone can make it a preferable choice for travel photography.

-------------------------

Regarding your question about whether to bring a swimsuit on your cruise, the decision largely depends on the cruise line you select and your comfort level with the possibility of purchasing a new one on board. Here are a few considerations to help guide your choice:

Cruise Line Facilities: If you're traveling with premium cruise lines, you may find that their pool and thermal spa areas can be less crowded sometimes, offering a more serene and enjoyable experience. Having a swimsuit on hand allows you to take full advantage of these relaxing amenities.

Minimal Packing Impact: Swimsuits are lightweight and take up very little space, making them easy to include in your luggage without affecting your packing significantly.

Embracing Spontaneity: Travel is often about embracing the moment and making spontaneous decisions. Even if you don't anticipate needing a swimsuit now, you might find yourself wanting one during the trip for an unexpected dip in the pool or a relaxing spa day.

Bringing a swimsuit ensures that you're prepared for any aquatic opportunities that may arise, helping you enjoy your cruise to the fullest.

Edited by lox075
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We use cameras .Actually ones with film that have to be developed.

😱

Half kidding. I was so happy when SLRs went digital. The immediate feedback helped my photography greatly and not having to develop film allowed me to turn a hobby (sports photography) into a business (I could sell onsite)!

That said, whether or not to have a camera or a smartphone depends on what you are going to photograph on your trip. If you are mostly going to be walking around towns and taking pictures on the ship, especially if most of your pictures are of people, the zoom and resolution of a smartphone are perfect. I don't even own what I call a "party zoom" (35-70mm) anymore because I can just use my iPhone and most of the time I am very happy with the results.

OTOH, if you are going somewhere out in nature, it's going to depend on how far away things are. On my Panama Canal cruise, the zoom on my iPhone 13 Pro is not going to cut it for a lot of what I want to shoot/film. For one excursion in particular, I am going to need at least a 400mm lens to be happy.

Whether or not an individual cares about this is going to vary though. Many people are quite fine taking pictures of a tiny bird/animal in a larger shot. Or using digital zoom. Not me! 😄  I even get unhappy when I'm out walking my dog and want to take a photo of something farther away. (There is this Mosque farther up the creek we walk by and near sunset the light shines on it in such a great way but it's just too far away to really get the effect I want.)

YMMV and probably does.

1 hour ago, eeden1 said:

I don't have one and am having a hard time finding one that fits properly that I'm comfortable in so was definitely leaning towards no suit.

You can probably make do with a sports bra and athletic wear shorts if you do decide to use the hot tub. There are sports "bras" that are more like a tank top if you want more coverage and "biker" workout shorts that aren't baggie which works better in a hot tub because they aren't billowing around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, eeden1 said:

Unfortunately I don't currently own a swimsuit so it would definitely be a new one.  And since I'm not much of a sunbather either it's definitely looking like it won't be worth the money to get one.

Swimsuits can be crazy expensive!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MacMadame said:

😱

Half kidding. I was so happy when SLRs went digital. The immediate feedback helped my photography greatly and not having to develop film allowed me to turn a hobby (sports photography) into a business (I could sell onsite)!

That said, whether or not to have a camera or a smartphone depends on what you are going to photograph on your trip. If you are mostly going to be walking around towns and taking pictures on the ship, especially if most of your pictures are of people, the zoom and resolution of a smartphone are perfect. I don't even own what I call a "party zoom" (35-70mm) anymore because I can just use my iPhone and most of the time I am very happy with the results.

OTOH, if you are going somewhere out in nature, it's going to depend on how far away things are. On my Panama Canal cruise, the zoom on my iPhone 13 Pro is not going to cut it for a lot of what I want to shoot/film. For one excursion in particular, I am going to need at least a 400mm lens to be happy.

Whether or not an individual cares about this is going to vary though. Many people are quite fine taking pictures of a tiny bird/animal in a larger shot. Or using digital zoom. Not me! 😄  I even get unhappy when I'm out walking my dog and want to take a photo of something farther away. (There is this Mosque farther up the creek we walk by and near sunset the light shines on it in such a great way but it's just too far away to really get the effect I want.)

YMMV and probably does.

You can probably make do with a sports bra and athletic wear shorts if you do decide to use the hot tub. There are sports "bras" that are more like a tank top if you want more coverage and "biker" workout shorts that aren't baggie which works better in a hot tub because they aren't billowing around.

Not everyone has a cell phone

• Like 1