What essentials and fun items do you bring?

14 hours ago, Cherful59 said:

.  I saw a suitcase (not mine) after a bottle of red wine broke in it.

I put clothes in full size (Jumbo) storage Ziplock bags inside the luggage for this very reason. If someone has a bottle that breaks it will protect there spill from getting on your bag if they are next to/or on top of each other in transit. Goes for perfume and other products spills as well.

On 3/15/2024 at 2:18 PM, Love2cruise-71 said:

Why no to lanyards?

Too much like a work day.  Scratchy at the neck with a non-collared shirt.  Dare I say ... tacky.  

ALL my daytime clothes -- including swimsuit cover-ups -- have pockets.  

On 3/15/2024 at 2:39 PM, Bead Pirate said:

Medical kit... various creams (rash, itch, allergy), various size bandages and antiseptic cream. A couple of ACE bandages, OTC cold, allergy meds. Covid tests, ear drops, super glue (great to mend gashes and stop bleeding), Eppi Pen, cold and heat packs.

All fits in a lunchbox sized pack that we throw in a suitcase. When we travel with friends, they refer to the bag as the traveling hospital 🙂  until they need something from it...

Yes, OTC meds are not the place to pack light. 

If you feel ill, you want medicine NOW -- you don't want to get dressed and go to Medical or the shops, and you certainly don't want to wait for the next island stop.  Ours fits into a small-medium cosmetic bag, and we always take it in a backpack for shore trips.  

I'm wondering if it's okay to stop bringing the Covid tests, but then I remember that my husband took one on our first back-to-cruising trip -- when Covid was still much more a fear.  It was very reassuring for him to see that negative and KNOW he just had the sniffles.  

On 3/15/2024 at 2:52 PM, Love2cruise-71 said:

Do you only use cash on the islands? 

Yes.

I prepare an envelope for each island stop.  On the outside I write our plans -- contact info /meeting spot for tour guides.  And I list anything we're supposed to bring -- water bottles, towels, etc.  Inside I count out any money we know we'll owe to the tour guide + anticipated tip + anything extra we might need:  money for a taxi, a meal, etc.  Lots of small bills so we have choices /don't need change. 

Yes, I plan to spend cash only, and this means whatever's in our wallets is a available to spend /we don't have to remember what we're going to need for the next island.  

We carry a credit card -- in case of emergency -- but I don't think we've never used it ashore.  

On 3/15/2024 at 3:43 PM, DennysDad said:

Water shoes

Travel wash detergent (for sink washing)

Zip lock bags in every size (for whatever)

OH,.....And 4...YES 4....28 inch checked in pieces of luggage, plus 2 carry on 20 inch roller bag's and 2 backpacks. (Well...there are 2 of us. LOL). Now you know why I have so much luggage. 

I only bring water shoes if our shore excursions demand it. 

No need to bring detergent for hand-washing.  Use the all-in-one soap /shampoo from the shower.  

Yes to a few ziplocks, but no need to over-do. 

Wow.  We pack one rolling carry-on each OR one 26" shared bag.  Plus a small backpack each for carry-on.  And those bags aren't full.  

On 3/15/2024 at 5:34 PM, DennysDad said:

Oh, I forgot Beach Bags!

I bring the same three bags on every cruise: 

- A small backpack for Embarkation Day.  Being hands-free is the best.  This also doubles as an island stop bag. 

- A small pool bag -- mine's about the size of a 6-pack, and it's plenty for sunscreen, Kindle, etc. for the pool.  I pack it first in my backpack /squishes all the way to the bottom, so it takes no extra space.  

- A small clutch handbag for dinner or around the ship.  I keep a "purse hook" stored inside this clutch, which allows me to hang it on the edge of the dinner table -- that's a very handy little thing.  

On 3/15/2024 at 6:22 PM, LittleMissMagic said:

Something else that's super handy are these plastic sleeves for your luggage tags.

I have a small laminator at home -- love that thing!  I laminate my luggage tags (costs ten cents to laminate three tags), then staple two tags on each suitcase. 

Since we drive, I staple them on at home.  If I needed to attach them at a night-before hotel, I'd ask the front desk to lend me their stapler.  

23 hours ago, firstimer2009 said:

I didn’t think of couch medicine. I assume it’s the pill form?  

Yes, I have Robitusin pills in my medicine bag.  I do prefer liquid cough medicine at home, but this little bottle is more practical for a trip.  

16 hours ago, Ozzie26 said:

Books for me, adult coloring book and pencils for DH 

Definitely bring your own books -- actually, I bring a Kindle.  The ship's library is really just a small collection of paperbacks previous cruisers have left behind.  Do not assume you'll find something right for you.  

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

only bring water shoes if our shore excursions demand it. 

No need to bring detergent for hand-washing.  Use the all-in-one soap /shampoo from the shower.  

Yes to a few ziplocks, but no need to over-do. 

Wow.  We pack one rolling carry-on each OR one 26" shared bag.  Plus a small backpack each for carry-on.  And those bags aren't full.  

I won't step in any ocean without water shoes. Way too many things to step on. 

I only bring like 4 packs of travel detergent. They are like little hand wipe or alka seltzer packets. Takes no room, could fit in a wallet. Oh...yeah...no bigger than that too. LOL.

Best part about Ziplock bags and trash bags is you fold in half and put a ton in outside zipper of luggage. This takes no real room either. I take out of box obviously. LOL. I found many uses for a few trash bags. Not just trash, dirty laundry, and God forbid a suitcase breaks (zipper etc). They can help get you from point A to B till you can replace bag. 

As far as "Wow"...I guess. Kinda. LOL. But I like to be prepared. And I don't take anything that I did not use on last trip. Everyone should bring what works for them.

• Like 1

I forgot to add .......And this is good advice for anyone flying.

I can probably get away with 3 (28 inch checked bags) instead of 4. However, .....

If you go one pound over the weight limit. Airlines charge you $100 for overweight bags. Each Way! That's $200 round trip.

Most airlines only charge $30 to $40 each Way for second checked bags per person. That's $60 to $80 round trip. 

The weight of the bag and it's potential cost is another reason I go for 2 checked bags each. 

My carryon item I must have is a sweater. Stateroom attendants must be trained to always turn the thermostat to the coldest temperature. Too dam cold for me. I have had to call maintenance to fix the heat, it doesn't always work.  

1 hour ago, DennysDad said:

As far as "Wow"...I guess. Kinda. LOL. But I like to be prepared. And I don't take anything that I did not use on last trip. Everyone should bring what works for them.

I've cruised enough that I have a good template for packing.  With the exception of some medicines in my First Aid Kit, I use everything I take + don't lack for anything.  Goldilocks-style.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I've cruised enough that I have a good template for packing.  With the exception of some medicines in my First Aid Kit, I use everything I take + don't lack for anything.  Goldilocks-style.  

Same.

• Like 1

Just returned from 63 night Serenade (first quarter World Cruise).   We had one 28 inch suit case each,  and one duffle bag each with "slide handles" that go over the top of those suitcases.  Each of us had one rolling carry on bag.  

In one duffle bag was a highly compressed 1.5 inch mattress pad, that I cut to size when we got there.  (Yes those king size beds are not king size).   Totally happy to have that as the mattress (though new) supplied by the ship was like a rock.  One duffle had just about all of our medicine cabinet tossed in, plus favorite toiletries.  

We are about to complete the last quarter (62 nights) in July.  Will be repeat of the above.  😉  

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, DennysDad said:

We got so far off topic. Apologies to original poster.

What else does everyone bring?

How is anyone's answer off topic is this thread? Essential or fun is subjective. 🙃

11 minutes ago, doghog said:

How is anyone's answer off topic is this thread? Essential or fun is subjective. 🙃

I guess I started to feel like going into too many details was hijacking. We all kinda got off and into amount luggage, instead of what's in it. 

Time for more suggestions/ideas! Might be something left on the planet I haven't thought of yet. LOL. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DennysDad said:

I guess I started to feel like going into too many details was hijacking. We all kinda got off and into amount luggage, instead of what's in it. 

Time for more suggestions/ideas! Might be something left on the planet I haven't thought of yet. LOL. 😆

In your opinion. Amount of luggage is an essential to some. It is to us. The entire thread is an open ended question. Right is right even if no one else is doing it and wrong is wrong even if everyone else is doing it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, doghog said:

In your opinion. Amount of luggage is an essential to some. It is to us. The entire thread is an open ended question. Right is right even if no one else is doing it and wrong is wrong even if everyone else is doing it.

I don't think there is any right or wrong to how much or little you pack. And how much or how little luggage you bring. I do feel like I joke about how much I have and then some seem overly proud of how little they bring. My story is light hearted and I'm the first one to laugh at my own packing. But in the end, everyone should bring what they feel is necessary. 

9 minutes ago, DennysDad said:

I don't think there is any right or wrong to how much or little you pack. And how much or how little luggage you bring. I do feel like I joke about how much I have and then some seem overly proud of how little they bring. My story is light hearted and I'm the first one to laugh at my own packing. But in the end, everyone should bring what they feel is necessary. 

Thanks for making my point and why this thread hasn't gone off topic. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DennysDad said:

I put clothes in full size (Jumbo) storage Ziplock bags inside the luggage for this very reason. If someone has a bottle that breaks it will protect there spill from getting on your bag if they are next to/or on top of each other in transit. Goes for perfume and other products spills as well.

Good idea!  I use packing/compression cubes, and if rain is scheduled when I am to fly and or on boarding day, I put the packing cube/compression cubes in 30 gallon trash bags inside my suitcase to keep things dry.  I might just start doing it all of the time for the reasons we have bother mentioned.

• Like 1

Not really "fun" - the not so fun things I always bring:

1. First Aid Kit & essential over the counter meds
2. Magnets - the strong ones with hooks - they can even go on the ceiling to hang things
3. Cruise approved non surge outlet with usb and extra plugs

4. Clear plastic over the door shoe holder - to store lots of goodies
5. Sunscreen / Hats / Sunglasses
6. Folding backpack or beach bag
7. Lanyards - wrist & neck
8. Ziplock bags 
9. Dirty clothes bags
10. Miniature lysol and wrinkle release spray
11. Kleenex / Wipes
12. USB speaker to play music from Iphone
13. Lots of recharging cords
14. RFID wallet
15. Shampoo / Conditioner
16. Blow Dryer

As for "fun":

17. Cash for slot pulls
18. Lots of dollar bills for bar tips
19. Rum runners... sssshhhhh (not really)

20. Rubber duckies to hide

12 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Not really "fun" - the not so fun things I always bring:

1. First Aid Kit & essential over the counter meds
2. Magnets - the strong ones with hooks - they can even go on the ceiling to hang things
3. Cruise approved non surge outlet with usb and extra plugs

4. Clear plastic over the door shoe holder - to store lots of goodies
5. Sunscreen / Hats / Sunglasses
6. Folding backpack or beach bag
7. Lanyards - wrist & neck
8. Ziplock bags 
9. Dirty clothes bags
10. Miniature lysol and wrinkle release spray
11. Kleenex / Wipes
12. USB speaker to play music from Iphone
13. Lots of recharging cords
14. RFID wallet
15. Shampoo / Conditioner
16. Blow Dryer

As for "fun":

17. Cash for slot pulls
18. Lots of dollar bills for bar tips
19. Rum runners... sssshhhhh (not really)

20. Rubber duckies to hide

Thank God I'm not into the whole duck 🦆 thing. LOL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, KroozNut said:

I swear, If I find a duck by accident, I'm throwing it overboard immediately!

And if you are caught, you should be kicked off the ship for littering! Plently of trash can on the ship. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1