What essentials and fun items do you bring?

On 3/18/2024 at 8:19 AM, island lady said:

I brought solar "candles" on the World Cruise.   Recharge on the balcony, place in the bathroom at night.  No worries about bringing batteries.  😉 

I had seen your post on your thread and bought them from Amazon that same day.  So now when I use them I think of you 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

I put this magnet on our door so we know which room is ours.  The room attendant is always leery on that first visit...

image.jpeg.799f565c3ec0f06c9d599019074d4bc6.jpeg

LOL...we put our picture on the door...that is scary enough also.  🤣

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I had seen your post on your thread and bought them from Amazon that same day.  So now when I use them I think of you 😁

Aww...thanks!  🥰  Happy they worked out for you. 

Posted (edited)

Since most of the time the sinks don't hold water for DH to shave and my hand washables, I bring a flat suction sink stopper which was recommended years ago on a similar "what to bring" thread. 

Also:

- Air tags

- Lanyard - I hate to wear them, but I put tour tickets in the pocket the night before since DH dropped and lost our tickets before getting on a tour bus causing a stressed out situation. After the tour begins, the lanyard is put in the backpack.

- Magnetic Roll-up Dry Eraser board to list upcoming tour times and specialty dinners

-Luggage Scale

-Flat Iron to touch up wrinkled or washed clothing (since Irons aren't allowed)

Edited by shirazcruiser
  • Like 1

A small plastic cafeteria-style tray to carry a couple of hot beverages and some morning pastries up to the cabin.  Too many times I've tried the balancing act of carrying two coffees and two plates full of breakfast bites to enjoy on the balcony.  This will help tremendously...I think.

• Like 5

A book by an author that most have not heard of such as Lenquixote66.

A  portable fan small enough to fit in your hand.

A notepad to write the names of people that you meet and want to keep. In touch with.

On 3/17/2024 at 11:53 AM, DennysDad said:

... Takes no room, could fit in a wallet ... This takes no real room either ...

Thing is, you pack enough of these little things that "take no real room", and collectively -- surprise! -- they take room.  

On 3/17/2024 at 7:57 PM, KroozNut said:

I swear, If I find a duck by accident, I'm throwing it overboard immediately!

Alternately, you could leave it where it is so a child can find it.  It could make a kid's day.  

On 3/18/2024 at 1:25 PM, klfhngr said:

How/Where would you hang a hammock? 

If you know ENO hammocks, they can be hung anywhere ... on a balcony, several places on the deck above the pool deck.  

7 hours ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

I put this magnet on our door so we know which room is ours.  The room attendant is always leery on that first visit...

Love it!  

5 hours ago, shirazcruiser said:

- Magnetic Roll-up Dry Eraser board to list upcoming tour times and specialty dinners

I have a template I fill in for every cruise.  I type in lots of pertinent information, and we keep it on the wall during the cruise: 

Dates, anticipated weather, docking and sailing times, tours, dinners, etc.  I leave blank space so we can write in things we see on The Compass -- shows or movies we want to see, etc.  We really rely upon that template.  

5 hours ago, shirazcruiser said:

-Luggage Scale

Alternately, take your suitcase down to the gym and use that scale.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Thing is, you pack enough of these little things that "take no real room", and collectively -- surprise! -- they take room.  

Alternately, you could leave it where it is so a child can find it.  It could make a kid's day.  

If you know ENO hammocks, they can be hung anywhere ... on a balcony, several places on the deck above the pool deck.  

Love it!  

I have a template I fill in for every cruise.  I type in lots of pertinent information, and we keep it on the wall during the cruise: 

Dates, anticipated weather, docking and sailing times, tours, dinners, etc.  I leave blank space so we can write in things we see on The Compass -- shows or movies we want to see, etc.  We really rely upon that template.  

Thanks for stating the obvious.

My packing list is long, but many things are small in scale. Most importantly, they are the things I want and use. That's why I call my luggage "my luggage". Have a super fun day.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

I put this magnet on our door so we know which room is ours. 

You mean that huge cabin number on the outside of your door doesn't give you a clue as to which one is yours? ☺️
Although I will admit that a little extra help could be in order after a long day of 'ship activities' on a sea day, or ashore on a port day. 😉

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Why would I schlep my 28" suitcases to the gym (which I did once and never again) when I can carry my hand held digital scale that weighs 4 oz....I can then easily adjust my luggage weight in the privacy of my cabin. Now that we travel with 3 28" suitcases and 1 carryon since we like to bring our favorite travel things...that would be even more miserable.

Edited by shirazcruiser
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

My must haves ===

-Small fan  - never leave home without it!

-few meds and supplies ( including band aids- in purse, cabin, and beach bag)  There's a copy of  our passports in our beach bags, too

-magnetic hooks - many uses in the cabin

-few baggies/ few napkins - you just never know!

-foam coozies- usually they go in the beach bags for excursions.  Gotta keep my beer cold!

-cork screw and bottle topper for wine in the room 

Edited by doublej
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shirazcruiser said:

Why would I schlep my 28" suitcases to the gym (which I did once and never again) when I can carry my hand held digital scale that weighs 4 oz....I can then easily adjust my luggage weight in the privacy of my cabin. Now that we travel with 3 28" suitcases and 1 carryon since we like to bring our favorite travel things...that would be even more miserable.

- Schlep = walk down the hall rolling a suitcase 

- Nothing to buy 

- Nothing to pack 

• Haha 1

I was using a sextant I brought with me on my last cruise. The ships navigation was walking by and engaged me himself, told me in all his years he never saw a passenger with a sextant onboard, told me he had one of similar quality on the bridge. We spoke for about ten minutes, he gave me all kinds of pointers. It was probably the best crew interaction I ever had.

• Like 5

I've been bringing a sextent for years... Opps different item. Really, I can't think of any "Fun" items that we bring. We bring gum/particular mints because you can get it on the ships. (I keep it from being stuck under the seats) Yes, we bring the duct tape, 20+ ft of picture wire, a travel cork screw, zip ties, tiny all-in-one tool.

On 3/15/2024 at 2:51 PM, jaspercat said:

Oh yes, cant be said enough - meds you take daily and those just in case, like OTC cough syrup, decongestant, Gaviscon (or whatever), eye drops, and why not Pepto-Bismal. 

Yes -Meds, Meds, Meds.  Both  OTC and Rx  -  AND A FEW EXTRA DAYS.

5 or 6 years ago we were 3 days delayed returning to Florida because of a hurricane.    Folks were scrambling for Rx meds.  Back them, Captain suggested to get meds in Mexico.  Of course all that has changed with Meds from Mexico and in fact there is a warning in the compass to be careful about med purchases in Mexico.

On 3/18/2024 at 4:15 PM, Womack21499 said:

We always bring a febreeze plug in. We just leave it in the room when the cruise is over for the next guest or cabin attendant. 

Please stop doing this.  Some people have severe intolerances to the scents. If I'm in a room where there is, or has recently been, Febreezes or scented candles, I get a debilitating headache that lasts for hours. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, KarenRB said:

Please stop doing this.  Some people have severe intolerances to the scents. If I'm in a room where there is, or has recently been, Febreezes or scented candles, I get a debilitating headache that lasts for hours. 

Don't have to worry about the candles...they are not allowed on the ship.  

Have never found scented plug ins leftover in the cabin.  If anyone had done it, they were removed by the attendant long before we checked in.  And agree...no one should leave one of those behind.  Should go in the trash along with the rest of the leftover stuff before they leave the ship. No one wants someone's leftover stuff.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, island lady said:

Don't have to worry about the candles...they are not allowed on the ship.  

Have never found scented plug ins leftover in the cabin.  If anyone had done it, they were removed by the attendant long before we checked in.  And agree...no one should leave one of those behind.  Should go in the trash along with the rest of the leftover stuff before they leave the ship. No one wants someone's leftover stuff.   

They are most welcome to leave their unopened bottles of wine. 🍷 But I guess they get snatched up by the cabin attendant first. When they had the stocked mini bars, someone left one for us - much appreciated!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

They are most welcome to leave their unopened bottles of wine. 🍷 But I guess they get snatched up by the cabin attendant first. When they had the stocked mini bars, someone left one for us - much appreciated!

When they used to give us comped beer, sometimes we left a bottle or two.  And always appreciated by the attendant if we leave our unopened bottle of wine when we don't get to all three of them.   

But I do leave them on the bed next to the note and the extra tip envelope.  

Though if it's a "drive to" port...those bottles go home with us.  😉 😄 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Davechipp74 said:

I was using a sextant I brought with me on my last cruise. 

My engineer husband would eat this up.  I'm going to get him one for his birthday, which will fall just three weeks before our next cruise!  Thanks for the idea. 

14 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Yes -Meds, Meds, Meds.  Both  OTC and Rx  -  AND A FEW EXTRA DAYS.

Bringing a few days extra is a good idea.  The possibility of your cruise being delayed a few days is remote, but it doesn't take much space.  

35 minutes ago, island lady said:

they were removed by the attendant long before we checked in.

IN THEORY the attendant would collect anything left behind, but it can happen.  On a recent cruise we found a 3-outlet plug-in.  Not something we ever use, but we took it home and gave it to our daughter, who was glad to have it. 

I've heard of people finding things left behind in the room safe.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, island lady said:

When they used to give us comped beer, sometimes we left a bottle or two.  And always appreciated by the attendant if we leave our unopened bottle of wine when we don't get to all three of them.   

But I do leave them on the bed next to the note and the extra tip envelope.  

Though if it's a "drive to" port...those bottles go home with us.  😉 😄 

Yes when it's a drive for us, we take them as well - never when we're flying back and never for the comped ones - although I have been tempted to take our bottles of Conundrum back. Conundrum sells for $60+ on the ship. Ouch!  Are you still on the World Cruise? How's that going? What do you do for wine? Are they allowing passengers to get wine at ports of call?

5 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

IN THEORY the attendant would collect anything left behind, but it can happen.  On a recent cruise we found a 3-outlet plug-in.  Not something we ever use, but we took it home and gave it to our daughter, who was glad to have it. 

I've heard of people finding things left behind in the room safe.  

After completing last leg of an Alaskan cruise, I left purchased Alaska coupons I did not use that I bought in a packet under the felt in the safe at the request of a fellow Cruise Critic member that was going into that cabin that day on Radiance.  They later thanked me on the thread.  🙂  

Also once found a bracelet in the safe, which I gave to GS desk with room number.  Hope they were able to reclaim it.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Yes when it's a drive for us, we take them as well - never when we're flying back and never for the comped ones - although I have been tempted to take our bottles of Conundrum back. Conundrum sells for $60+ on the ship. Ouch!  Are you still on the World Cruise? How's that going? What do you do for wine? Are they allowing passengers to get wine at ports of call?

No.  We disembarked in LA after first quarter.  We are doing Australia/NZ etc. on Viking early next year.  Did not need to repeat it with RCI (especially after they cancelled not one, but two of our Aussie adventures 😖).  And long ago we decided we had no interest in going to the middle east.  Was a wise choice.  😉 

So, we are reboarding for the last quarter in Barcelona all the way back to Miami via northern Europe, Greenland, Iceland, and down the east coast of the U.S.  

We still received our 3 bottles of comped wine for each mini segment (there are 4 on last quarter).  And though some confusion, both the full WC and the quarters are allowed to bring on wine at ports, but we never bothered since the deluxe drink package comes with any cabin you book for both WC and quarters (but not mini segments).  

• Like 2

Has anyone brought on a folding footstool?  I’ve seen recommendations for inflatable ones, but that won’t work for me and I need to be able to elevate my feet.  They come in a range of heights and I’m not sure what works best for a balcony chair.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, DRGrammy said:

Has anyone brought on a folding footstool?  I’ve seen recommendations for inflatable ones, but that won’t work for me and I need to be able to elevate my feet.  They come in a range of heights and I’m not sure what works best for a balcony chair.

Oops deleted

you said foot stool - my bad

Although you know what, you could possibly use this is a foot stool so I'll repost it lol

https://www.amazon.com/Retractable-Folding-Portable-Camping-Activities/dp/B08C2D57ZW

Edited by robmtx
  • Like 1