What essentials and fun items do you bring?

4 hours ago, robmtx said:

Oops deleted

you said foot stool - my bad

Although you know what, you could possibly use this is a foot stool so I'll repost it lol

https://www.amazon.com/Retractable-Folding-Portable-Camping-Activities/dp/B08C2D57ZW

Thank you.  The adjustable height would make it convenient for multiple uses.  I’m not sure the top is wide enough, but maybe if I put a small pillow on top.

On 3/16/2024 at 4:03 PM, Ozzie26 said:

AirPods- not everyone wants to hear the music I like to listen to 

Phone/watch/ AirPod chargers

French Vanilla creamer 

Books for me, adult coloring book and pencils for DH 

This-I can't get over how many folks on cruises or airplanes think their music is better than anyone else's.  Let each one use the airpods!  My grands do and I'm grateful. lol Thought about the coloring books but I have a huge case of pencils so, probably not.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Birdie1410 said:

This-I can't get over how many folks on cruises or airplanes think their music is better than anyone else's.  Let each one use the airpods!  My grands do and I'm grateful. lol Thought about the coloring books but I have a huge case of pencils so, probably not.

On Mariner last September someone tried to use a blue tooth speaker to play there music by the pool and was asked to leave.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DennysDad said:

On Mariner last September someone tried to use a blue tooth speaker to play there music by the pool and was asked to leave.

I'm saying good to that!

On 3/15/2024 at 4:18 PM, DennysDad said:

That's why we each check two 28 inch bags. 

Plus each have a 20 inch carry on.

And backpacks.

Something about not being able to jump in car and go to Walmart etc. I'd rather have it and not need it, than e thought we enot have at all. Airlines make extra $$$ of me. Have airline credit card so first bag each is free. LOL. But just 2 of us and always need Uber XL! LOL 

We thought we were the only ones who bring that much.  I hauled all that to Australia for 2 months.  I think I could have taken a few less clothes but I definitely needed all the other “stuff”.  

First aid kit

OTC meds bag

Fold flat basin, clothes line, magnets to hang laundry.

Ziplocks of various sizes

Small packable backpack

We each take a pac safe cross body bag

Beach and smaller pool bag

Cruise journal 

umbrellas 

The rest depends on itinerary and length of cruise. 

I did a pretty good job prepping for 2 months.  I ran out of face scrub and had to buy more.  We bought an egg crate mattress because the bed was so hard about 6 days into the cruise. I learned Australia doesn’t sell the same strength OTC meds as we have in the US. The chemist had 100 mg of something that we were taking 600mg of! I’d have had to take 6x their dose. Next time I’ll double up on cold and cough meds.  

• Like 1

Again, for us part of the amount of bags is the weight limit. One ounce over and it's $100 each way. 2nd checked bag per person is only $30 to $40 each way depending on airline. If you are going to run the risk of being charged extra, why not have an extra bag. We never over pack any one bag. If weight limit is 50lbs, we stop at 40lbs to play it safe. Also too much weight and pressure on bags zipper can cause it to break. But ultimately, everyone should bring what they are comfortable with, not what anyone else thinks is "right".

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We thought we were the only ones who bring that much.  I hauled all that to Australia for 2 months.  I think I could have taken a few less clothes but I definitely needed all the other “stuff”.  

First aid kit

OTC meds bag

Fold flat basin, clothes line, magnets to hang laundry.

Ziplocks of various sizes

Small packable backpack

We each take a pac safe cross body bag

Beach and smaller pool bag

Cruise journal 

umbrellas 

The rest depends on itinerary and length of cruise. 

I did a pretty good job prepping for 2 months.  I ran out of face scrub and had to buy more.  We bought an egg crate mattress because the bed was so hard about 6 days into the cruise. I learned Australia doesn’t sell the same strength OTC meds as we have in the US. The chemist had 100 mg of something that we were taking 600mg of! I’d have had to take 6x their dose. Next time I’ll double up on cold and cough meds.  

I got lucky and pretty much had everything I needed for the over 2 month 1st quarter WC... including bringing my 2nd larger duffle bag that held the foam mattress topper I brought on board and then cut to size (those are not true King size mattresses) on embarkation day.   Sooo glad I brought it indeed!

This gave me a par of what we will need for the 4th quarter 2 months in July.  Just some minor tweaking, and should work out OK again.  I did bring too many dressy blouses, but they were light and easy to hand wash.  

Edited by island lady

On 3/15/2024 at 2:51 PM, jaspercat said:

Oh yes, cant be said enough - meds you take daily and those just in case, like OTC cough syrup, decongestant, Gaviscon (or whatever), eye drops, and why not Pepto-Bismal. 

FYI, bring EXTRA of your daily meds.  Sometimes you may be out longer than expected.

Lots of good ideas here.  We are light packers but find room for 2 strong magnetic hooks and 2 small pinching clamps for keeping the black out curtains closed.  For longer cruises I print out a one page blank generic calendar that we post on the wall to help us keep the schedule straight. None of these items take up any room and they make life easier for us.

The fun thing I like to bring is a couple of strings of colorful Mardi Gras beads because that means there will be a Cruise Critic roll call sail away event and we will get the party started earlier.

21 hours ago, SHIP TRAVELER said:

2 small pinching clamps for keeping the black out curtains closed.

That is an excellent idea; I've added these to my trip list for our upcoming Alaska cruise!

Thanks.

2 hours ago, LEMJMcC said:

That is an excellent idea; I've added these to my trip list for our upcoming Alaska cruise!

Thanks.

You can always use a pants hanger from the closet to clip the curtains closed

44 minutes ago, Fa-Li said:

You can always use a pants hanger from the closet to clip the curtains closed

We've never done this, but it sounds rather awkward and cumbersome to have a big clunky wooden slacks hanger (or more) hanging from the curtains. Am I missing something here?

A few years ago we purchased a portable safe that has a long wire like handle that you hook to your lounge chairs at pool and/or beach. It worked great , felt confident to go into water.It was big enough for phones, wallet , earbuds. Take it now every time!!

• Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 12:12 PM, KroozNut said:

We've never done this, but it sounds rather awkward and cumbersome to have a big clunky wooden slacks hanger (or more) hanging from the curtains. Am I missing something here?

They aren't that heavy.  The two clips just hold it in place and the curtains stay closed.  

On 3/27/2024 at 7:17 AM, island lady said:

I got lucky and pretty much had everything I needed for the over 2 month 1st quarter WC... including bringing my 2nd larger duffle bag that held the foam mattress topper I brought on board and then cut to size (those are not true King size mattresses) on embarkation day.   Sooo glad I brought it indeed!

This gave me a par of what we will need for the 4th quarter 2 months in July.  Just some minor tweaking, and should work out OK again.  I did bring too many dressy blouses, but they were light and easy to hand wash.  

Since I’m still unpacking I just took an inventory of what I used in 2 months like shampoo, toothpaste, body wash, etc.  We have a month trip later this year so I can half that and if we ever get to do a world cruise I can adjust as needed.  I used less shampoo than I thought for instance but more toothpaste. I also used (I think this was your trick) to use the body wash from the shower for laundry.  It worked just fine. I won’t buy expensive soap packets anymore. Every trip refines the packing skills.

On this trip we also put 2 extension cords together, provided by the ship, and used magnets to put the cord along the ceiling over the bed so we didn’t have to trip over it.  A surge free adaptor at the end enabled the DH to plug in his cpap and gave me a usb for my sound machine by the bed.  It’s taken us 50 cruises to figure that one out. (We often sail the older ships which don’t have any plugs near the bed.)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Since I’m still unpacking I just took an inventory of what I used in 2 months like shampoo, toothpaste, body wash, etc.  We have a month trip later this year so I can half that and if we ever get to do a world cruise I can adjust as needed.  I used less shampoo than I thought for instance but more toothpaste. I also used (I think this was your trick) to use the body wash from the shower for laundry.  It worked just fine. I won’t buy expensive soap packets anymore. Every trip refines the packing skills.

On this trip we also put 2 extension cords together, provided by the ship, and used magnets to put the cord along the ceiling over the bed so we didn’t have to trip over it.  A surge free adaptor at the end enabled the DH to plug in his cpap and gave me a usb for my sound machine by the bed.  It’s taken us 50 cruises to figure that one out. (We often sail the older ships which don’t have any plugs near the bed.)

Indeed it does help to get a sense of par of what you will need when we are on these longer trips.  The only thing I ran out of, and had to buy in port was Q-tips.  😉 

I have a "wardrobe" of lanyards with slim wallet purse/card holder that I bring to match my clothing.  I also wear masks in crowded situations on board (came home with COVID last September post-cruise).  The masks are blingy to match the lanyards. 

(If you are ever on a ship and see a woman that looks like my avatar wearing a blingy mask....it's me)

I have a door magnet a friend gave me that says: "Some people wander looking for the meaning of life.  Some of us are just looking for our cabin.  This is your cabin, Peggy."

All of the above is available on Amazon.

• Like 1

There are things I should bring and don't, and things I do bring. I don't bring a tie and I don't even bring a long pair of pants. It is shorts, it is winter and I am on vacation down south. I have a few times only brought sandals. One serious thing I have forgotten on 3 of my 4 cruises are sunglasses, just never wear them at home, but find they help in the Caribbean. Now, as for essential AND fun, I need books, one won't do. Gotta be paper not on a screen. So 2 books are lugged around and get read several times a day. Oh, and I always bring my appetite. I don't own a phone and would not even consider hauling my laptop along, it is one of the things I need a vacation from.

• Haha 1

We have refined our packing list over the years and for the Caribbean have it down pat.

Medical kit, including nail clippers, thermometer that plugs into the phone, cold and cough needs, allergy meds, tummy meds and bandaids/ Neosporin.

Daily rx meds with a few extra days worth.

OTC pain relievers- Tylenol for DH, Advil and Excedrin for me depending upon the need. Bonine *just in case*

I bought reusable zipper storage bags instead of using Ziploc. Heavy duty and work nicely.

Beach bag for shore beach days.

Magnets for door, depending on time of year/holidays. Magnetic hooks for hanging hats etc

blow up pillows with a strap for beach chairs/ loungers. About the size of DH's first when in their little pouch.

I got a small crossbody bag from Fjallraven, the high coast pocket, perfect for my phone, glasses and seapass. 

We only pack half the clothes we used to, take advantage of our free bags of wash and fold laundry.

We each take one 24 inch bag and a backpack. DH's holds his CPAP, so he does pack another backpack for on shore.

It's taken us 20 years to get to this.

We sail on Ovation to Alaska in 40 days, and while most of the stuff still works, I am flummoxed by the potential weather changes and how to pack accordingly. 

I would recommend including a few packets of disposable earplugs just in case.  I keep a couple in my toiletry bag.  I've had to bust them out 2 or 3 times over the years so it's not something you will definitely use each cruise but I found very helpful the few times I did.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, therealblackknight said:

I would recommend including a few packets of disposable earplugs just in case.  I keep a couple in my toiletry bag.  I've had to bust them out 2 or 3 times over the years so it's not something you will definitely use each cruise but I found very helpful the few times I did.

OMG...that is for sure!!  What is it with the high volume at the shows and events now?  Do they think we are all deaf?  DH has hearing aids he takes out, and still too loud for him.

Getting worse all the time.  Maybe they think loud makes it seem more talented!  🤪  I have started taking soft earplugs with me to each show...and have had to use them 90% of the time.  

On 3/19/2024 at 11:31 AM, shirazcruiser said:

- Lanyard - I hate to wear them, but I put tour tickets in the pocket the night before since DH dropped and lost our tickets before getting on a tour bus causing a stressed out situation. After the tour begins, the lanyard is put in the backpack.

- Magnetic Roll-up Dry Eraser board to list upcoming tour times and specialty dinners

- I loathe the idea of wearing a lanyard around the ship, but I can see the point in wearing one for boarding -- would keep the boarding pass, passport, etc. handy.  

- We have a paper template we've created /tweaked over the years that keeps us organized during a cruise.  We type in /print our dinner reservations and shore plans, and once we're onboard we write in shows, etc. that we want to see.  A magnetic hook keeps it on the wall.  

On 3/19/2024 at 2:09 PM, LEMJMcC said:

A small plastic cafeteria-style tray to carry a couple of hot beverages and some morning pastries up to the cabin.  Too many times I've tried the balancing act of carrying two coffees and two plates full of breakfast bites to enjoy on the balcony.  This will help tremendously...I think.

When we "returned to cruising" I was worried about carrying food /drinks because my husband has some mobility issues -- but it hasn't been a problem.  

Consider it's easy to get a tray from Room Service.  

On 3/19/2024 at 2:18 PM, lenquixote66 said:

A book by an author that most have not heard of such as Lenquixote66.

I couldn't do without my Kindle!  I love that I have several thousand books at my disposal; and, as long as the wifi is turned off, it stays charged several weeks (even with heavy use). 

Do not assume you'll find something you like in the ship's library -- it's basically 20-30 paperbacks left by previous passengers.  

On 3/26/2024 at 9:25 PM, cruiselvr04 said:

OTC meds bag

Fold flat basin

Yes, the one place I don't skimp is my OTC meds bag.  

Instead of bringing a basin, why not use the sink? 

On 3/28/2024 at 12:12 PM, KroozNut said:

I've only cared about closing the curtains securely in a Promenade Room, and they have velcro closures -- maybe all ship curtains do?  

57 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

- I loathe the idea of wearing a lanyard around the ship, but I can see the point in wearing one for boarding -- would keep the boarding pass, passport, etc. handy.  

I have a Coach lanyard that has a clear window on the front for my seapass card. The backside has 2 credit card slots where I put my tour tickets. I detach the lanyard strap and attach it to my small flat Travelon passport organizer (4”x6”) that I wear around my neck when we’re at the airport and on embarkation day so I don’t carelessly drop our passports or have to fumble around in my purse looking for them. 

IMG_1993.jpeg

IMG_1992.jpeg