Live from the Vista - March 27 (Miami) to May 1 (Trieste)

Hlitner

5 hours ago, Waltershipman said:

Hank I noted in one of my posts from our Vista cruise in February  is the ability to adjust the brightness of the round bathroom  mirror by simply pressing and holding the visible dot near the bottom of the mirror which both dims and brightens the mirror.  We used this feature in lieu of the blue light and light under sink 

Enjoy

Thanks to your post, we learned about the ability to dim that mirror light :).

Hank

8 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Wow. That is not impressive at all. Like you, we are not shore excursion people, but if a perk is pulled by the cruise line, and we have used up that financial part of the offered product that can not be used in any other manner prior to sailing, it seems as if it should be transferred into OBC rather than totally lost. I have read of this occurring on more than one thread since Simply More. It’s truly not okay. I hope Oceania acknowledges this soon, and hopefully before you disembark, but I wouldn’t count on it based on reading multiple occurrences on different sailings. 

They should make it OBC, it's the right thing to do--period.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Moving on with our live from the Vista reports.  Yesterday we were in Livorno with absolutely gorgeous weather with temps in around 70f.  Livorno is a port with many terrific options (for both DIY and excursions) and opted for a very pricy wine tasting/gourmet lunch excursion.  We thought the excursion was quite good (and we normally dislike excursions) and we enjoyed our small group of fellow passengers.  The only negative was that the excursion cost about $300 per person which we (and some others) thought was a bit steep.   

Last evening it was dinner in the GDR (DW and I both had an excellent strip steak au poivre).  My NY Cheesecake was somewhat disappointing because it lacked enough cream cheese.  

Today was another gorgeous day and we were docked in La Spezia.  This port is most convenient for visiting the villages of Cinque Terre, so DW and I decided to visit a few villages DIY.  We have been to this part of Italy, many times, but we usually access Cinque Terre with a rental car.  Today we took the train (an all day Cinque Terre Pass was about 27 Euros).  This pass gives unlimited use of the regional train, access to the hiking trails etc.

Folks that have often visited this over touristed destination generally have their favorite village.  For us, it is Vernazza, which is where we got off the train as for our first village.  I should mention that this port has a free shuttle to the port terminal building, and from that location it is a 1 mile walk to the La Spezia Centrale train station.   At Vernazza we did a lot of walking and eventually had an excellent lunch at an outdoor restaurant with a decent view of the crowds and water.  Cinque Terre is a popular place, so crowds are the norm.

After lunch we took another train over to Corniglia.  This is probably the least visited of the 5 villages because it is somewhat difficult to access (you need a bus from the train) and the village is full of slopes and steps.  After spending 1 1/2 hours in Corniglia (and having some terrific local gelato) we decided to make our way back to La Spezia and the ship.  The trains were running late (not unusual) and it actually took us about 2 hours until we were back aboard.

A word about our cabin (a normal veranda).  The Vista has a night light (which can be operated from either side of the bed).  It is a blue bulb located on the ceiling near the bathroom.  There is also a white light under the sink in the bathroom.  The problem is that the night light is a little bright for our taste (and others with whom we chatted).  We found a great solution is to simply leave on the light that surrounds the bathroom mirror.  With the bathroom door closed, enough light bleeds under the door to give us a nearly perfect night light 🙂

Hank

Just wanted to thank you for taking the time to write, I'm enjoying read your post--looks like a fun cruise.  Looking forward to when we board again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good day from Villafranche,

Today, after a short cruise from Livorno, we are anchored just off the coast of the lovely French port/resort city of Villefranche sur Mer.  For those who have never been to this port it is tender only.  The Vista used several of its own tenders supplemented by a large shore-based tender.  This is the first time I even recall a shore-based tender at this port, and that boat is quite new and immaculate.

Villefranche is a favorite port because there are so many options for both excursions and DIY.  From here, folks can easily get to Nice (yes, Nice is nice).  Eze, St Paul de Vence, Monte Carlo, Grasse, Antibes, and other places are all within range for a day trip.

This morning we saw another day of perfect weather.  Not a cloud in sight, temps in the mid 70s, low humidity, and a gentle breeze.  A true "10" day, So, DW and I decided to follow a plan of hiking to the Villa Eprussi de Rothchild, which is located near Cap Ferrat.  We had planned to tender ashore after 10am (to miss the rush) but the cruise director announced, around 9:30, that there was no tender queues.  We headed to the Vista Lounge (to get our tender tickets) but were stopped on the stairway by Paul (the Assistance Cruise Director) who said there is no wait for a tender and to just head down the tender pier. Good job Vista :).   It is about a 2 mile walk from the tender pier and the stroll took as about 50 minutes.  The Villa Ephussi was interesting (a self-guided tour) and the outdoor gardens were very expansive.  

After spending about 2 hours at the Villa, we walked back to Villefranche where we stopped for a delightful lunch.  DW and an excellent goat cheese salad and I fulfilled a personal passion of having Soupe de Poisson.  The fish soup in this part of France has long been a favorite of mine and the Rock Fish based version at Cosmo (the name of the restaurant) was excellent.  We returned to the ship about 3pm having enjoyed an absolutely perfect day.

Dinner last night was our 2nd visit to Polo.  This time, our meal was excellent (DW thought it the best meal...so far).  She had the surf/turf and enjoyed both the steak and small lobster tail.  I decided to ignore some warnings (from other cruisers) and ordered the Maine Lobster with drawn butter.  I was delighted to be served a real Maine lobster (I love the claw meat).  It was not quite as good as fresh Maine Lobster (which cannot be done on ships) but was close.  I should mention that my starter of the French Onion Soup was also terrific.  

A word about my food comments.  This is our first O cruise, so we cannot compare to the pre-Covid O.  Others tell us that O cuisine has gone downhill in the past few years, which does make us wonder what we missed!  What we are experiencing here on the Vista is probably the 2nd best overall cuisine we have had on 18 cruise lines.  #1 still goes to the new Explora Journeys, Explora Journey 1.  Seabourn trails O because O offers more variety (at least on the Vista).  

One mild complaint (about O) continues to be the early nights.  Entertainment (in Horizons) generally ends at 11:15 and than the ship dies!  There have actually been some decent crowds in Horizons (quite a few dancers) but once the music stops, most are quickly off to bed.  One more dance/music set would be appreciated by us night owls.  

Hank

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Hank maybe ask if they could play ‘one more set’ they might just be able to do that!

Sounds like you’re having a great cruise. Thanks for your posts and just ‘Keep Enjoying’! 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

A word about my food comments.  This is our first O cruise, so we cannot compare to the pre-Covid O.  Others tell us that O cuisine has gone downhill in the past few years, which does make us wonder what we missed!  What we are experiencing here on the Vista is probably the 2nd best overall cuisine we have had on 18 cruise lines.  #1 still goes to the new Explora Journeys, Explora Journey 1.  Seabourn trails O because O offers more variety (at least on the Vista).  

One mild complaint (about O) continues to be the early nights.  Entertainment (in Horizons) generally ends at 11:15 and than the ship dies!  There have actually been some decent crowds in Horizons (quite a few dancers) but once the music stops, most are quickly off to bed.  One more dance/music set would be appreciated by us night owls.  

Hank

Hank, thank you again for your reports, highly appreciated!

Our first O cruise was in 2018, and then 3 more post Covid. Personally, I didn't notice any difference in food quality, but obviously this is a small sample. We haven't been on EJ yet, but I consider O food better than SS, Azamara and Old Crystal (and I don't even mention mass market lines non suite dining venues).

As for entertainment - this is really typical for O, and to be honest, for port intensive itineraries, we don't really care, we are too tired and go to bed after the shows anyway. How is it on Seabourn?

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Good day from Villafranche,

Today, after a short cruise from Livorno, we are anchored just off the coast of the lovely French port/resort city of Villefranche sur Mer.  For those who have never been to this port it is tender only.  The Vista used several of its own tenders supplemented by a large shore-based tender.  This is the first time I even recall a shore-based tender at this port, and that boat is quite new and immaculate.

Villefranche is a favorite port because there are so many options for both excursions and DIY.  From here, folks can easily get to Nice (yes, Nice is nice).  Eze, St Paul de Vence, Monte Carlo, Grasse, Antibes, and other places are all within range for a day trip.

This morning we saw another day of perfect weather.  Not a cloud in sight, temps in the mid 70s, low humidity, and a gentle breeze.  A true "10" day, So, DW and I decided to follow a plan of hiking to the Villa Eprussi de Rothchild, which is located near Cap Ferrat.  We had planned to tender ashore after 10am (to miss the rush) but the cruise director announced, around 9:30, that there was no tender queues.  We headed to the Vista Lounge (to get our tender tickets) but were stopped on the stairway by Paul (the Assistance Cruise Director) who said there is no wait for a tender and to just head down the tender pier. Good job Vista :).   It is about a 2 mile walk from the tender pier and the stroll took as about 50 minutes.  The Villa Ephussi was interesting (a self-guided tour) and the outdoor gardens were very expansive.  

After spending about 2 hours at the Villa, we walked back to Villefranche where we stopped for a delightful lunch.  DW and an excellent goat cheese salad and I fulfilled a personal passion of having Soupe de Poisson.  The fish soup in this part of France has long been a favorite of mine and the Rock Fish based version at Cosmo (the name of the restaurant) was excellent.  We returned to the ship about 3pm having enjoyed an absolutely perfect day.

also terrific.  

Hank

Another erudite post, thank you Hank.  We are sailing with you, and I concur with just about all your observations, with the exception, of course, of your shore exploits.  

We have travelled through and stayed in many of the lovely spots in this itinerary (DH is originally from Friuli, in north-eastern Italy) so have been quite relaxed about exploring ashore.  

So far, since embarking in Civitavecchia, we have been pleased that Oceania’s cuisine is up to the standard we have enjoyed for many voyages.  I simply wanted to note that last evening’s Toscana experience was exceptional.  The culinary team had sourced local Ligurian mussels, which are smaller and more intensively flavoured than most other varieties.  The chefs presented these beauties in an exquisite pasta (made in house of course) dish.  So lovely that fresh, local ingredients were presented for our enjoyment.  I’m not usually a “foodie pic person” unless a dish is exceptional.  I felt on this occasion, an image was warranted.

IMG_5765.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Another erudite post, thank you Hank.  We are sailing with you, and I concur with just about all your observations, with the exception, of course, of your shore exploits.  

We have travelled through and stayed in many of the lovely spots in this itinerary (DH is originally from Friuli, in north-eastern Italy) so have been quite relaxed about exploring ashore.  

So far, since embarking in Civitavecchia, we have been pleased that Oceania’s cuisine is up to the standard we have enjoyed for many voyages.  I simply wanted to note that last evening’s Toscana experience was exceptional.  The culinary team had sourced local Ligurian mussels, which are smaller and more intensively flavoured than most other varieties.  The chefs presented these beauties in an exquisite pasta (made in house of course) dish.  So lovely that fresh, local ingredients were presented for our enjoyment.  I’m not usually a “foodie pic person” unless a dish is exceptional.  I felt on this occasion, an image was warranted.

IMG_5765.jpeg

Wow!  Very similar to the lunch dish I had in Vernazza.  Love mussels.

Hank

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

A true "10" day, So, DW and I decided to follow a plan of hiking to the Villa Eprussi de Rothchild, which is located near Cap Ferrat. 

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

It is about a 2 mile walk from the tender pier and the stroll took as about 50 minutes.  

We were there last year.

We had planned to walk along the seafront to the steps up towards Cap Ferrat.

However we found that way was at that time inaccessible due to works.

We were wandering up towards the road when a kind local offered us a lift.

Is the seafront walk towards  Cap Ferrat available now ?

We also had a pleasant day there, although it was very windy on the Eastern side of Cap Ferrat.

Edited by Tranquility Base

Posted (edited)

We also love the area and last year were there for a week and walked from Beaulieu Sur Mer to Villa Ephruzzi. Had a great morning tea in the cafe there too after taking the audio guided tour and learning the life of Beatrice. We loved Villefranche Sur Mer so much we are returning for a week at the conclusion of our Vista cruise in June after securing a waterfront apartment. 

Edited by daydreamer62
  • Like 5

Our last visit to Villefranche Sur Mer and area had torrential rain for most of the day.  We were with a group of six visiting St Paul de Vence.  Thank goodness we found a wonderful little restaurant with great food and amazing desserts.  At least our rainy day was brightened by this lovely place, even as the rain continued to shower us whether we wanted this or not.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

We were there last year.

We had planned to walk along the seafront to the steps up towards Cap Ferrat.

However we found that way was at that time inaccessible due to works.

We were wandering up towards the road when a kind local offered us a lift.

Is the seafront walk towards  Cap Ferrat available now ?

We also had a pleasant day there, although it was very windy on the Eastern side of Cap Ferrat.

The seafront walkway is now opened, but there is still construction.  The walkway is protected by some fencing and we had no problem getting all the way to the steps.

Yesterday, the two adjacent beaches were crowded with sun worshippers and a few swimmers (the water must still be chilly).

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Today we are docked in Marseille.  I have a strong dislike of Marseille (my least favorite place in France) but love the port as a gateway into Provence.  A large majority of passengers went off on excursions to places like Aix en Provence, Avignon, St Remy, etc.  DW and I left the ship around 9am with a DIY plan of going to Cassis for lunch.  Although we have spent a lot of time in the south of France (including having rented apartments in both Avignon and St Remy) we had never visited Cassis.

Upon walking off the ship we boarded the free port shuttle bus that would take us into town (a few blocks from the old port).  We also noted that one tour group also used the free shuttle bus (along with their guide) which is not impressive when one considers those folks paid about $150 pp for their tour.  The docking area used for most cruise ships (Terminal A and Terminal B) are too far from Marseille for walking.  DIY folks need to either use the shuttle bus or hire a taxi willing to do the short haul into town (which I assume will cost about 25 Euros).

Once in Marseille, DW and I walked the 1/2 mile to the St Charles train station where we bought round trip tickets for Cassis (about 12.50 Euros pp).  We arrived in Cassis (a 25 min train ride) around 11am, only to find no taxis at the station, very infrequent buses to town, etc.  So we decided to make the 2-mile trek into Central Cassis.  Much of the walk is downhill, so the walk is not difficult for folks used to long walks.  In Cassis we walked around the picturesque and somewhat charming marina area before settling on a local outdoor restaurant that specialized in mussels.  We got the best table, had a wonderful view, and enjoyed our Moules et Frites and Vino Blanc.  After spending some time walking around town we used our phone to summon an Uber to get us back to the station.  That cost about 14 Euros, which was a good investment as we were not looking forward to the trek (with many uphill slopes) back to the station.  Back in Marseille it was an easy half mile to the shuttle bus stop and back to the ship.  Another decent DIY Day.

Dinner, last night, was in the GDR with our favorite waiter.  DW and I both enjoyed a shrimp main which was served in a light/tasty sauce.  The evening show was a decent singer from Holland, who turned out to be a competent Opera Soprano.  While she did quite a few popular songs, it was her few opera arias that really shined.  Our Guest entertainers on the Vista continue to be very good and comparable (or better) then we have experienced on other cruise lines. The late show in Horizons was Karaoke and I had a good time chatting with my new-found Aussie friends and our Assistant Cruise Director (Paul) who ran the karaoke show.  There was a good size crowd (over 50) in Horizons until the end of karaoke ended around 11:30.  

A little tidbit about our cabin bathroom.  The shower is quite large (close to 4' square) and has two glass shelves for items like soap. shampoo, etc.  O provides excellent Bvlgari soap, and it is in bar form.  When you put a wet bar of soap on smooth glass, it will stick.  In fact, it can be a challenge to pull the bar off that glass.  After a few days our steward put a folded face cloth on one shelf in order to avoid the problem.  Great idea! DW and I both appreciate that O does provide decent bar soap.  Much of the competition has moved to liquid soap dispensers, which we have never liked.  We finally did hear our neighbor's TV (during our pre-dinner shower time).  Not a problem, at that hour, but it was the first time we did notice the oft reported issue.  I suspect that, in most cases, getting a quiet cabin on the Vista is simply "luck of the draw" in terms of having quiet or noisy neighbors.  

Hank

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Today we are docked in Marseille.  I have a strong dislike of Marseille (my least favorite place in France) but love the port as a gateway into Provence.  A large majority of passengers went off on excursions to places like Aix en Provence, Avignon, St Remy, etc.  DW and I left the ship around 9am with a DIY plan of going to Cassis for lunch.  Although we have spent a lot of time in the south of France (including having rented apartments in both Avignon and St Remy) we had never visited Cassis.

Upon walking off the ship we boarded the free port shuttle bus that would take us into town (a few blocks from the old port).  We also noted that one tour group also used the free shuttle bus (along with their guide) which is not impressive when one considers those folks paid about $150 pp for their tour.  The docking area used for most cruise ships (Terminal A and Terminal B) are too far from Marseille for walking.  DIY folks need to either use the shuttle bus or hire a taxi willing to do the short haul into town (which I assume will cost about 25 Euros).

Once in Marseille, DW and I walked the 1/2 mile to the St Charles train station where we bought round trip tickets for Cassis (about 12.50 Euros pp).  We arrived in Cassis (a 25 min train ride) around 11am, only to find no taxis at the station, very infrequent buses to town, etc.  So we decided to make the 2-mile trek into Central Cassis.  Much of the walk is downhill, so the walk is not difficult for folks used to long walks.  In Cassis we walked around the picturesque and somewhat charming marina area before settling on a local outdoor restaurant that specialized in mussels.  We got the best table, had a wonderful view, and enjoyed our Moules et Frites and Vino Blanc.  After spending some time walking around town we used our phone to summon an Uber to get us back to the station.  That cost about 14 Euros, which was a good investment as we were not looking forward to the trek (with many uphill slopes) back to the station.  Back in Marseille it was an easy half mile to the shuttle bus stop and back to the ship.  Another decent DIY Day.

Dinner, last night, was in the GDR with our favorite waiter.  DW and I both enjoyed a shrimp main which was served in a light/tasty sauce.  The evening show was a decent singer from Holland, who turned out to be a competent Opera Soprano.  While she did quite a few popular songs, it was her few opera arias that really shined.  Our Guest entertainers on the Vista continue to be very good and comparable (or better) then we have experienced on other cruise lines. The late show in Horizons was Karaoke and I had a good time chatting with my new-found Aussie friends and our Assistant Cruise Director (Paul) who ran the karaoke show.  There was a good size crowd (over 50) in Horizons until the end of karaoke ended around 11:30.  

A little tidbit about our cabin bathroom.  The shower is quite large (close to 4' square) and has two glass shelves for items like soap. shampoo, etc.  O provides excellent Bvlgari soap, and it is in bar form.  When you put a wet bar of soap on smooth glass, it will stick.  In fact, it can be a challenge to pull the bar off that glass.  After a few days our steward put a folded face cloth on one shelf in order to avoid the problem.  Great idea! DW and I both appreciate that O does provide decent bar soap.  Much of the competition has moved to liquid soap dispensers, which we have never liked.  We finally did hear our neighbor's TV (during our pre-dinner shower time).  Not a problem, at that hour, but it was the first time we did notice the oft reported issue.  I suspect that, in most cases, getting a quiet cabin on the Vista is simply "luck of the draw" in terms of having quiet or noisy neighbors.  

Hank

Interesting that you don’t care for Marseilles.

Years ago, I had the opportunity to spend some time there at the École Nationale Supérieure Maritime. There’s much culture, history, art (about two dozen museums) (and, of course, bouillabaisse) to be enjoyed in one of France’s most visited cities.

But, like so many cruise ports, it may take longer than a half or full day every few years to have that experience “special” to you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Interesting that you don’t care for Marseilles.

Years ago, I had the opportunity to spend some time there at the École Nationale Supérieure Maritime. There’s much culture, history, art (about two dozen museums) (and, of course, bouillabaisse) to be enjoyed in one of France’s most visited cities.

But, like so many cruise ports, it may take longer than a half or full day every few years to have that experience “special” to you.

“Years ago” there were many cities we enjoyed (even in the USA) which have changed in a very bad way.

We can agree ti disagree about Marseille.  But when it comes to “O” we are mostly in your court.  😉

When you put a wet bar of soap on smooth glass, it will stick.  In fact, it can be a challenge to pull the bar off that glass.  After a few days our steward put a folded face cloth on one shelf in order to avoid the problem.  Great idea!"

I had the same problem.  Ended up pushing the soap to the back of the back of the tray so that I could push it up from below when it got stuck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

“Years ago” there were many cities we enjoyed (even in the USA) which have changed in a very bad way.

We can agree ti disagree about Marseille.  But when it comes to “O” we are mostly in your court.  😉

I completely agree about Marseille. Doesn't feel like France anymore..

• Like 1

Since we departed the cruise in Rome,we continue to enjoy your objective and informative posts. Most of our experiences were similar to yours. We had exceptionally good weather while in Rome, and got home late last night. This was an exceptionally nice and memorable cruise. We booked the westbound TA on Allura for next year. The cruise consultant mentioned that many on board, also have booked it.

The food was exceptional, and DW didn’t get swollen ankles from too much salt in the preparation. I mention this because on our last 3 Silversea cruises it’s been a problem. The food IMO is much better on Oceania.

Hope that you continue to have a great cruise !  We’re jealous! 😂

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

I completely agree about Marseille. Doesn't feel like France anymore..

Unfortunately, our first visit was last year.  We were accosted at the cathedral by a young Frenchman and a few others who decided to also have some fun.  The incident supposedly involved us not only taking cuts where there was o line, but also pushing babies down with their strollers and pushing people to get into the front of the line for Le Petit Train. This was all a stunt to get my purse that was wrapped around me.  My DH and I stood our ground, yelling at the Frenchman and letting him know that we were not allowing for any of this nonsense.  There were no police, or anyone else in security or law enforcement.  Although, someone approached me yelling someone I did not understand.  anyway,  I ended up losing my new Maui Jim sunglasses, but that was the extent of loss; however, I was exhausted afterwards.  Since we both have silver hair, it was obvious that we were targeted.  Self defense classes and karate are both great ways to learn how to defend oneself and not become victims.  This was the first time ever that anything like this has happened; I hope it is also the last!  

No Marseille for me!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Unfortunately, our first visit was last year.  We were accosted at the cathedral by a young Frenchman and a few others who decided to also have some fun.  The incident supposedly involved us not only taking cuts where there was o line, but also pushing babies down with their strollers and pushing people to get into the front of the line for Le Petit Train. This was all a stunt to get my purse that was wrapped around me.  My DH and I stood our ground, yelling at the Frenchman and letting him know that we were not allowing for any of this nonsense.  There were no police, or anyone else in security or law enforcement.  Although, someone approached me yelling someone I did not understand.  anyway,  I ended up losing my new Maui Jim sunglasses, but that was the extent of loss; however, I was exhausted afterwards.  Since we both have silver hair, it was obvious that we were targeted.  Self defense classes and karate are both great ways to learn how to defend oneself and not become victims.  This was the first time ever that anything like this has happened; I hope it is also the last!  

No Marseille for me!

That's just crazy@#

• Thanks 1

A little story about our Villa Eprussi de Rothchild experience.  DH and I did not know about the shortcut around the sea wall/beach area until coming back from the Villa.  We took a taxi after from the port after getting off of the tender.  After touring the Villa (which we loved!), we asked about getting a taxi back to the ship.  We were told that we would have to call one, or we could easily walk back.  Taking the 2nd option, we began to walk down the steep drive of the Villa when a golf cart stopped and offered us a ride down.  The young man worked at the villa and was heading back to town on business.  He let us off at a hole in the beach wall and told us how to get around to the ship.  Nice people!

Hlitner - Several years ago, DH and I took a ships excursion to Cassis and had a lovely tour, and leisurely hot chocolate on the sea front (it was coolish that day) and then walked over to where we heard noise from a crowd of people.  Turned out that we were in Cassis during their annual wine festival.  Lots of dancing, free wine tastings, etc.  Lots of fun!!!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

We stopped in Marseille last November on an O cruise on Riviera.  We had trouble finding a tour we wanted to do, but the day before we discovered a food tour with the No Diet Club that had great reviews, and offered a senior discount.  We booked it, and took the free ship shuttle into Marseille, and were dropped off about a five minute walk from where the tour started.

It was a great tour.  We learned a lot, saw a lot, and of course ate a lot.  There were two other O passengers on the tour - both were performers onboard.  We were able to catch the last free shuttle back to the ship.  It was a great day, and only cost 50 euros per person.

Edited by cruiserchuck
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

A little story about our Villa Eprussi de Rothchild experience.  DH and I did not know about the shortcut around the sea wall/beach area until coming back from the Villa.  We took a taxi after from the port after getting off of the tender.  After touring the Villa (which we loved!), we asked about getting a taxi back to the ship.  We were told that we would have to call one, or we could easily walk back.  Taking the 2nd option, we began to walk down the steep drive of the Villa when a golf cart stopped and offered us a ride down.  The young man worked at the villa and was heading back to town on business.  He let us off at a hole in the beach wall and told us how to get around to the ship.  Nice people!

Hlitner - Several years ago, DH and I took a ships excursion to Cassis and had a lovely tour, and leisurely hot chocolate on the sea front (it was coolish that day) and then walked over to where we heard noise from a crowd of people.  Turned out that we were in Cassis during their annual wine festival.  Lots of dancing, free wine tastings, etc.  Lots of fun!!!

I love these one-off stories. Thanks.

• Like 2

Today we are docked in Valencia under blue skies.  The weather on this entire segment has been terrific and we are keeping our fingers crossed for more of the same.  DW and I took a 5 hour ship excursion to Bacairent, which is a very old quaint mountain village.  Having previously been to Valencia (where there is an excellent market) we thought this was a good place to use some of our "Simply More" shore excursion credit.  Our guide was excellent, and we enjoyed visiting the small village.  There was a substantial amount of walking, and this tour was not for anyone with a mobility problem.  

Since the Port of Valencia (which can handle 4 cruise ships) is a few miles from the city center, O did provide free shuttle bus service to the center.  

Yesterday, we were docked in Barcelona (Moll Adosset Terminal B), which is the main cruise dock in that city.  Since the weather was very comfortable, DW and I did not use the free shuttle bus service, but rather walked into town (about 2 miles to the Ramblas) and later reversed the process.  We simply spent a few hours in the Ramblas/Gothic Quarter area before walking back to the ship for a late lunch.  Barcelona is a terrific port with much to see and do, but to say that we have seen that/done that would be an understatement.  Even though it is still early in the season, and we were the only cruise ship within site, the Ramblas was a busy place.  The Boqueria Market (right off the Ramblas) remains a "do not miss" place and the decent Iberian Hams are now ONLY about $250 Euros per Kg.  

Nothing new to add to our previous comments re the Vista.  Had dinner in Toscana, last night, and everything was great.  I do like that it is possible to order a small portion of any of the extensive pastas, which makes it a good starter or supplement to other starters.  The usual tableside oil/balsamic service is always lots of fun.

Somebody asked (might have been Flatbush Flyer) about the current CD and GM.  The CD is Peter (I have no clue to his last name) and the GM is Damien Lacroix.  Since DW and I have not bothered to go to any of the private parties, we have had no interaction with the GM other than to bid him a "Good Morning" when we cross paths in Barristas.  Since everything, onboard, is better than good, we have no reason to seek out the GM.  As to Peter, since we are now in the midst of our 10 straight port days, we are being rewarded by not needing to listen to as many of his announcements.  

Hank

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2