NEWS FLASH: HAL to favor Triples and Quads

On 4/1/2024 at 3:10 PM, Ileneilene123 said:

I think you are right … my PCC just doesn’t know about the policy yet. I’m so glad you’re sharing your experience — I’m completely new to cruising so I need all of the help I can get. Better to know the risks.

I’m going to ask her to doublecheck the policy. This has happened before —  I had to ask her to check the policy for Club Orange upgrades to the best available cabin in the Meta category. She was unaware. She checked & came back to confirm that I was right. It may be the same this time. 

This is what I got from my PCC when I asked about this policy.  

"Our management assured us no one will get a lesser cabin than they booked and/or get their cabin canceled like other cruise lines have been doing!  We might send you an offer to switch your cruise to another date, which will be a very lucrative offer, but we will not downgrade your cabin choice!"

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

This is what I got from my PCC when I asked about this policy.  

"Our management assured us no one will get a lesser cabin than they booked and/or get their cabin canceled like other cruise lines have been doing!  We might send you an offer to switch your cruise to another date, which will be a very lucrative offer, but we will not downgrade your cabin choice!"

of course how they define a downgrade might differ from what you might consider a downgrade. A move from a selected cabin to another in the same class is not a downgrade  to the cruise line but would be to the person that selected the original location.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Exactly. I currently have a  partially obstructed OV booked, so any other OV would be considered an upgrade.  I want that cabin because it’s near elevators and the obstructed views have windows the size of sliding glass doors. Also, the window is not behind the bed like typical OV. (Zuiderdam)

1 hour ago, TRLD said:

of course how they define a downgrade might differ from what you might consider a downgrade. A move from a selected cabin to another in the same class is not a downgrade  to the cruise line but would be to the person that selected the original location.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, mawvkysc said:

Exactly. I currently have a  partially obstructed OV booked, so any other OV would be considered an upgrade.  I want that cabin because it’s near elevators and the obstructed views have windows the size of sliding glass doors. Also, the window is not behind the bed like typical OV. (Zuiderdam)

So, can they change your cabin after final payment?  Cherie

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Theoretically, as long as they are selling the cruise, it could happen.

That is a problem for me.  It seems like when the cruise shows "sold out" they are still selling the cruise.  I had not thought about it until this thread. Thank you, Cherie

Edited by cccole
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, cccole said:

That is a problem for me.  It seems like when the cruise shows "sold out" they are still selling the cruise.  I had not thought about it until this thread. Thank you, Cherie

The cruise may be sold out, but that does not mean that the does not have guarantees to allocate and potential application of the new policy concerning 3/4 cabins.

12 minutes ago, TRLD said:

The cruise may be sold out, but that does not mean that the does not have guarantees to allocate and potential application of the new policy concerning 3/4 cabins.

This is a huge problem for me.  Our cabin choice is important and after final payment I would really be upset.  Even if it is a Neptune Suite...all Neptune Suites are not the same.   Yikes.  Cherie

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, cccole said:

This is a huge problem for me.  Our cabin choice is important and after final payment I would really be upset.  Even if it is a Neptune Suite...all Neptune Suites are not the same.   Yikes.  Cherie

Correct - they are not. We L❤️VE the Aft Wrap Neptunes because of the balcony and would not want one mid-ship. We would be happier w/a true aft VB, AS or VS than a mid-ship Neptune.

• Like 2

On 3/29/2024 at 5:18 PM, TRLD said:

This practice concerning 3/4 cabins is not limited to HAL. Pretty common on the other mass market cruise lines (HAL, Princess, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Carmival) Fairly low probability event for any particular booking, but it does happen.

Yes, both Princess and RCCL were not going to let me book two adjoining cabins without a third person in the one classed a triple! I forget which ships these were, but the locations I wanted were classed every-other-room double-triple-repeat. So to have cabins next to each other, I had to put my mom in our room to make it a triple (variation on the phantom grand-child). And pay for her, even though it was never sure she was going to be able to sail. 

Both cruises mentioned were cancelled by the pandemic so we'll never know how it finally worked out! But surely, until now, this was an advantage to booking with HAL.

11 hours ago, TRLD said:

I have been thinking about this situation but I am wondering how is this different from the airlines If you purchase a seat on a flight the airline can move you to another seat without asking you. This happens if the crew needs it or if there is an aircraft change. In fact, you are not "guaranteed" your seat, just transportation. How is this different from cruise ships? Maybe we are just paying for transportation?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

Maybe we are just paying for transportation?

I hope not. Otherwise on cruises that end in the port it started in, things could get dicey.
I don’t want to show up at the Vancouver cruise terminal and be told “ We’ve given away your cabin and you can’t board, but not to worry because we promised to get you to Vancouver, AND HERE YOU ARE!!! Have a nice day, Ma’am, and thanks for the cash”

OK, now you’ve got me worried.😄

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957

15 hours ago, cccole said:

Exactly. We like the opposite with our Neptune suites: we purposefully book near mid-ships close to the Neptune lounge. My wife gets seasick, and this is a good location for her, and we make frequent trips with issue for the concierge. On our upcoming cruise we are in a verandah mid-ships that we chose well in advance.

7 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

I have been thinking about this situation but I am wondering how is this different from the airlines If you purchase a seat on a flight the airline can move you to another seat without asking you. This happens if the crew needs it or if there is an aircraft change. In fact, you are not "guaranteed" your seat, just transportation. How is this different from cruise ships? Maybe we are just paying for transportation?

But how often have you been moved from your seat on a flight, or heard about others being moved, unless there is, as you said, an aircraft change? Very, very rare. Even then, they try to keep you in about the same place.

And you don't live on the plane for a week or two or longer!

• Like 6

I think we need to perhaps be a little more chill until someone comes around and says that it happened to them. It's starting to sound like this is happening to everyone all the time. 

I think between them blocking off triples and quads and being able to shuffle around Guaranteed bookings, anyone actually getting bumped would be a pretty rare occasion. And then there'd be those that get a surprise complimentary "upgrade", and actually agree that it's an upgrade!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

But how often have you been moved from your seat on a flight, or heard about others being moved, unless there is, as you said, an aircraft change? Very, very rare. Even then, they try to keep you in about the same place.

And you don't live on the plane for a week or two or longer!

I have had several aircraft changes over the years but that was always done weeks or months before the flight. Nevertheless, I am not entitled to an refund due to a seat change. I can cancel and get a flight credit. Of course, Southwest doesn't even guarantee a specific seat!

We are a couple that are currently booked in a quad on Nieuw Statendam due to sail in two weeks time.  I booked a specific Obstructed Verandah as it has a very protected (from wind) verandah and our cruise is heading to a windy area.

The cruise has been sold out for many weeks and so far (15 days 10 hours 12 minutes to go, according to Navigator) we are still in the booked cabin.  As we are now reaching the window for allocation guarantee bookings, it will be interesting to see if we stay where we booked or if we are moved.  

• Like 2

The bottom line is that the HAL experience is evolving in a bad way.

The mainstream industry is desperate because of overcapacity. HAL is gonna have to try to squeeze out more onboard spending from more pax onboard, as fare prices decline in real terms.

Despite all the talk of record this and record that, CCL share price is still $15. Meanwhile, the luxury brands are able to maintain or raise prices. 

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

The bottom line is that the HAL experience is evolving in a bad way.

The mainstream industry is desperate because of overcapacity. HAL is gonna have to try to squeeze out more onboard spending from more pax onboard, as fare prices decline in real terms.

Despite all the talk of record this and record that, CCL share price is still $15. Meanwhile, the luxury brands are able to maintain or raise prices. 

The price is $15 because of debt load  which reduces there profit potential for several years. As well as limits capital investment in New ships for the next 3 to 4 years.

The mainstream lines are sailing pretty closely to what they were in 2019 around 109% of capacity in the last quarter. More suffering from lack of new ships coming out in the next few years causing under capacity, instead of overcapacity.

All of the mainstream lines get around 1/3 of their revenue from onboard sales. As such they get considerably more revenue from a cabin with 3 or 4 people than 2.

2 hours ago, TRLD said:

All of the mainstream lines get around 1/3 of their revenue from onboard sales. As such they get considerably more revenue from a cabin with 3 or 4 people than 2.

Not necessarily, if the 3rd and 4th are children. 

• Like 1

Just a heads up. The industry is running at full capacity!!!

HAL

"Up to 45% off fares, up to $300 Onboard Credit, and 50% Reduced Deposit plus include free 3rd & 4th guests on select cruises. Offer ends April 30."

Princess

"Alaska from $401... 35% off fares, $200 onboard credit, $99 deposits."

NCL

"FREE 2ND GUEST + FREE AT SEA"

RCL

"UP TO $600 ONBOARD CREDIT

+ 60% off second guest

+ Kids sail free"

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Just a heads up. The industry is running at full capacity!!!

HAL

"Up to 45% off fares, up to $300 Onboard Credit, and 50% Reduced Deposit plus include free 3rd & 4th guests on select cruises. Offer ends April 30."

Princess

"Alaska from $401... 35% off fares, $200 onboard credit, $99 deposits."

NCL

"FREE 2ND GUEST + FREE AT SEA"

RCL

"UP TO $600 ONBOARD CREDIT

+ 60% off second guest

+ Kids sail free"

Kind of like what the industry was offering many times in the past pre covid. Many sales were done pre Covid as well. 

Aimed to bring in non cruisers to try a line and to fill the ships during the summer cruise period when a lot of short cruises are being done in competitive areas such as Europe or Alaska.

Edited by TRLD

40 minutes ago, Roz said:

Not necessarily, if the 3rd and 4th are children. 

Actually it does. If you have a fare 100% then 1/3 of revenue being on board spend so that would be another 50% of fare price so 2 people per cabin would be 300, 3 people per cabin, even with the 3rd person free, would be 350, and 4 people with 3 and 4th free would be 400 for that cabin.

While children do not buy expensive drink packages families do spend on excursions and other items, to a higher degree than many older couples, especially on those routes that attract families such as Alaska.

34 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Oh Yeah!

Is this a repeat of a previous program?

Do not know on HAL but Princess had this at times preCovid for locals near certain ports.

Since they share some back office not surprised if HAL picked it up.

Problem is while they have the program and you can sign up for it, which gives the cruise line a pool of customers to contact if they have a last minute opening, one may sign up and never even get contacted. Or get very few.

We are on the list for HAL since they started the program and have gotten contacted once for two cabins being available, both were gone before we could call in.

Having a program such as this is a wise decision to fill last minute cancellations, but does not mean that very many cabins get filled or are even available to the participants.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TRLD said:

Do not know on HAL but Princess had this at times preCovid for locals near certain ports.

Since they share some back office not surprised if HAL picked it up.

Problem is while they have the program and you can sign up for it, which gives the cruise line a pool of customers to contact if they have a last minute opening, one may sign up and never even get contacted. Or get very few.

We are on the list for HAL since they started the program and have gotten contacted once for two cabins being available, both were gone before we could call in.

Having a program such as this is a wise decision to fill last minute cancellations, but does not mean that very many cabins get filled or are even available to the participants.

Different programs.

The HAL program (standby) requires payment in full at time of booking standby, and returns the money if you don’t get on. If you “clear the list” and decide you don’t want to go, no refund for you. You are committed when you book.  They don’t put a cabin up for offer and then you “call in” if you want it. 

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1