NEWS FLASH: HAL to favor Triples and Quads

Just now, REOVA said:

I don't think this is new. Even prior to the shut down we were told if we booked a quad cabin, there would be a chance we would have to move if a family needed it. And it's also done on accessible cabins if you don't need the accessible cabin. Although most people don't book accessible cabins if they don't need it (unless it's the only one left). 

Yes, you're definitely right about the quads.  That has always been the case with those.

But I have to believe that the strategy is more aggressive than just that, if so many PCCs are talking about it.

Whatever.  As for us -- we'll have our eye on the marketing campaigns.  

3 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Yes, you're definitely right about the quads.  That has always been the case with those.

But I have to believe that the strategy is more aggressive than just that, if so many PCCs are talking about it. 

Maybe they reiterated it in a recent training script for PCCs so they don't forget it. Probably had a few passenger complaints from being moved. Definitely something to think about when booking. Don't book a fold out couch. 😉

I absolutely see both sides of this.

On one hand, it has to be frustrating to have more limited selection and even more frustrating to book a specific stateroom and not have it guaranteed. 
on the other hand, as someone who is only recently starting to cruise with my two daughters and has had a tough time finding availability of quad cabins because many are taken up by 2 people, I appreciate that it will be easier for me to book. 
And from HAL's perspective, it seems like a decent way to make a little more money without cutting back on quality or services overall.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

So if a couple has a great cabin booked and a group of 3 book later, can they say, “I want THAT one” and get it? Or would this only happen if ALL triples were full and the group would otherwise be turned away?   

it could end up an upgrade situation for the couple.  

Edited by alwaysfrantic
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

Would folks rather HAL not allow solos or couples to book cabins that fit 3-4 people? They could have done that so no one would be disappointed and to increase profit.

Sorry I wasn't clear: this is the final outcome they are looking at per my PCC. Hence when I was looking at Verandahs for 2pax, not seeing any on Observation Deck (on Zuidy where those are all quads). They must have been trying out the program as later I could see that deck for two.

We are also in the same position of @Let It Go -- we are booked in a Vista Suite ("our" Vista Suite) for 35-day South Pacific, and it is rated a triple...

I went back and looked at our bookings.  Most are in triples.  We are booked on the 35-day South Pacific in 2026.  That one is a triple.  I can't imagine booking this early, paying the current high cruise prices, and then being moved to HAL's choice.  

Lots to think about.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing.

This is concerning news as we are also in the category of liking to pick our specific cabin and as everyone who does this knows, HAL charges a premium to do this.  I can't imagine after paying this premium to then receive an email telling me that my cabin has been changed.

I wonder how the system selects whose cabin is being resold?  Is this AI at work?

It does though indicate to me that HAL is doing everything that it can to ensure that its ships are sailing at more than 100% capacity.  More passengers buying more drink packages, more spend in the shops, more HIA, more excursions.  Easy to see that spend on board increases when there are more people onboard.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

This really is interesting.  Practically every cabin is a triple because there's a sofa that can convert.  The room is really designed for two, but it's sorta, "Knock yourself out if you want to jam another person in there."

I guess my big concern -- more than finding an available cabin -- is that along with this will come all the special deals for 3rd and 4th guests in the stateroom.  We've experienced that on some summer cruises, and the ships feel really crowded.   Not pleasant.   If that's to become the norm all the time, we'll probably rethink how we travel. 

That's our concern also - ships at more than 100% capacity are not a pleasant experience for us and we have paused our ocean cruising at this time.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Nodakboiler said:

If I have paid extra to choose my room I would definitely not be happy. The website charges more if you want to select a specific cabin.

That occurred to me, too. If I can be bumped from the cabin I PAID several hundred dollars to select, where are they going to put me? Upgrade? Downgrade? And as much as I hate to see people use the C word, what sort of Compensation do you get if you're bumped? I think the upcharge to select should be refunded, because you've essentially got a guarantee cabin.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I heard this was happening a few weeks ago.

I just returned from two weeks on the Nieuw Statendam.  According to the servers, the first week there were 2600 onboard.  It was easy to find a deck chair and a table in the Lido.  The second week there were more than 2800 onboard and that small increase turned the ship into a mob scene: lines, no deck chairs or tables, bathrooms running out of supplies.  I really felt sorry for the staff.

The NS passenger capacity has been listed as 2666 with a crew of 1036.  There are 20 life boats with a capacity of 150 each, so room for 3000 people. What happens if there is an emergency and the ship needs to be evacuated?  

I have 4 future cruises booked with HAL.  I am very particular about my cabin.  If I am moved before final payment, I will cancel.  If I am moved after final payment (unless it is to a Neptune Suite🤣) I will never book with HAL again.

BTW, on my post cruise survey, I wrote at length about the overcrowding on week two giving specific examples.  I also stated that I would never sail a ship where “3rd/4th guests or kids sail free” is a promotion because of the overcrowding it causes.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

35 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

I went back and looked at our bookings.  Most are in triples.  We are booked on the 35-day South Pacific in 2026.  That one is a triple.  I can't imagine booking this early, paying the current high cruise prices, and then being moved to HAL's choice.  

Lots to think about.

@crystalspinAbsolutely. I understand the need to increase revenue and bring more $$ to the bottom line, but if a fare paying passenger(s) gets bumped to a less desirable location w/no consideration, that will not be well received and won't be long before smoke signals start going out.

Different than if the triples & quads are simply not visible when searching for a party of 1 or 2. You won't miss what you never had...

• Like 4

I learned of this from my PCC a couple of weeks ago and am very unhappy.  I book cruises very early (mostly a day or two after published) so I can get a stateroom near the elevator due to limited mobility.  I pay quite a bit more for the high category location and, as a solo traveler, I pay an 80-100% supplement.  I often book a triple room because they are near the elevator but at least HAL gets a cruise fare for two people.  I will now be limited in stateroom choices for future bookings so may not be able to take some cruises I would like.  On a positive note, I might save money as I will have to book a cheaper stateroom.

It appears some may still be able to book one or two people in a triple or quad room and then hope they will not be moved.  I would not take a chance as I am picky about the location of my stateroom

I can see that future bookings should have to follow the new policy but I do not believe HAL should be able to move me from a stateroom that they allowed me to book before the new policy.  I have 8 trips booked for 237 cruising days so am now in panic mode.  I could find nothing about this on the website (cruise contract or passenger bill of rights) nor on my booking confirmations.  I hate the idea that I have booked a cruise, flights, hotels, etc. and then find out just before the cruise that HAL moved me to a stateroom that is unacceptable to me.  Is it a breach of contract?  I probably could accept if an airline changed my seat as that is only for a few hours.  My cruises are from 14-45 days which is a long time to be in a stateroom I do not want. 

This is going to be a hot topic as I can see there are 8 new replies since I started typing this.  I hope some of the new and future replies will relieve some of my anxiety.  I have spent hours trying to find acceptable (to me and HAL) staterooms on my previously booked cruises.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

We've been letting itinerary changes bounce off of us -- which seem to be much more frequent lately.  Pretty frustrating that the one thing we thought we might be able to count on -- our choice of accommodation -- is also moving toward, "You pays yer money; you takes yer chances." 

Somebody mentioned the possibility of being upgraded if you're moved.  Lots of us are familiar with the deck plans, and one man's upgrade is another man's "Nope."  And who wants to be upgraded on a jam-packed ship anyhow?

This is just very bad news.  Worse the more I think about it.  The poor overworked crew.  :classic_sad:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have to say this is a very poorly thought out policy. Like many we book well in advance, well over a year. We don't book guarantees and so far we haven't used Club Orange for an upgrade. Due to another strange convoluted process within the booking system trying to get the same cabin on both legs of a B2B even though the cabins shoe as available for both legs, if you book one leg or the other but not both. If we are paying a premium, full fare, to choose our cabin it better be the cabin we are in. Like @3rdGenCunarder I would expect some meaningful compensation. 

• Like 2

I get that they want to max out capacity as @FlaMariner said. IF they add to occupancy, it'll be the free 3rd & 4th guest - yes probably children - so no advantage to the corporate bottom line.

If they're goal is to get more families on board all voyages - forget shooting themselves in the foot... more like drinking some special "punch" and killing the line.

This cruise line is about couples or adults - I'd say mostly 35+.  Sure summer and holiday cruises will have greater booked capacity, including kids.  But the longer ones usually do not.  I thought that was part of the reason so many of the Caribbean itineraries were going 9-10 days instead of mostly 7 days.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Makes sense.  They are all working hard to increase occupancy.  Follows the same category as the new "stand by" program......max out the capacity. 

How do adding children to a cruise add to the bottom line???

4 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

I can hear them in the corporate office: "the ship is sailing, get as many 'heads in beds' as you can...we've got a huge debt to payoff and we need to turn a profit to stay employed"

I understand that a lot of folks are very picky about their particular cabin so that's the price to pay for higher 'yield management'. 

For us, we see no issue with this.  I realize for other folks, it's a big deal.

It is a bit deal when you carefully choose a cabin a year to a year and half out and are moved.  I didn’t pay for a guarantee cabin (and I pay double as a solo) I paid at a surcharge for the cabin I chose.

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

BTW, on my post cruise survey, I wrote at length about the overcrowding on week two giving specific examples.  I also stated that I would never sail a ship where “3rd/4th guests or kids sail free” is a promotion because of the overcrowding it causes.

I booked a Christmas /New Years cruise and found that out the hard way. I love children - but not 600 unruly, unsupervised ones.  the ship was over capacity IMO -over 2900 and 600+ children.  the only day I could consider using a pool was a port day.

I made the best of it but I will be on the look out for the “kids sail free” now in the future and I see no way that adds to the bottom line for HAL.

I’m with you on that one and if HAL wants to bump my cabin of choice, I won’t have kind words.  I pay double as a solo and it’s painful enough.  HAL’s idea of an upgrade to make up for it is not mine.

I have 4 bookings too and life is complicated enough - don’t play around HAL  I too will cancel - unless you give me the PS 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, kazu said:

How do adding children to a cruise add to the bottom line???

Soft drink packages. Specialty dining (not their choice, but they still pay). Shore excursions. Wifi. And it makes it more attractive to the parents, who have even more spending potential. 

But there is probably a lot of "number goes up". More passengers equals more and the shareholders like to hear that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 0106 said:

The NS passenger capacity has been listed as 2666 with a crew of 1036.  There are 20 life boats with a capacity of 150 each, so room for 3000 people. What happens if there is an emergency and the ship needs to be evacuated?

In addition to the life boats there are inflatable rafts that can be deployed. If you walk around the promenade deck you will see what looks like 55 gallon drums. Those contain the rafts.

The maximum capacity of the rafts and lifeboats is what determines the total capacity of the ship.

• Thanks 5

Why should a cruise line let one or two people stay in a cabin that sleeps 4 if they can get 4 people to stay in it? I also travel solo and many times I have searched for a cabin on the Carnival site and they frequently block out certain cabins from me to book. This initiative is all about attracting new customers to HAL - families and extended families.. 

10 minutes ago, Menocchio said:

Soft drink packages. Specialty dining (not their choice, but they still pay).

If the children eat off the kids menu (I hate that term), then it’s free.

I don’t think a soft drink package pays for a free berth. JMO

Shore excursions.

I didn’t see many children in the theatre to so on shore excursions (and I did do some on this particular cruise).

I would suggest that‘s a rarity unless it is to a beach or something (and a family of 4 can probably do that cheaper on their own).

Wifi. And it makes it more attractive to the parents, who have even more spending potential. 

Wifi - multi device package works for 2 or 4 - there’s no difference in the price so I don’t see money making in it for HAL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

Why should a cruise line let one or two people stay in a cabin that sleeps 4 if they can get 4 people to stay in it? I also travel solo and many times I have searched for a cabin on the Carnival site and they frequently block out certain cabins from me to book. This initiative is all about attracting new customers to HAL - families and extended families.. 

a lot of the cabins on the smaller ships (below Signature Class) technically hold 3.  I don’t even look at that and look for location.

BUT, if someone pays long in advance, then either block the cabin as you have cited so it can’t be booked or leave them alone.  they PAID to choose a cabin and shouldn’t be bumped.  It’s the principle of the thing.   JMO.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

So what happens if four weeks before sailing most of the triples or quads remain unsold?   Does HAL then open them up so anybody can book them?   Possibly at a discount to fill up the ship before sailing? Do all the GTYs end up in those triples/quads?   Do they notify the PCCs that the T/Qs are available so couples can move if they want?  How would you feel if you are a couple who books a year in advance and you meet a couple on board who booked three weeks before sailing and gets the cabin you wanted?  The fact that HAL wishes to max out the ship doesn't mean that demand for T/Qs will equal availability of said cabins.

Edited by Eric from San Diego
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1