Nieuw Amsterdam Explosion.

THIS IS AN OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM HOLLAND AMERICA LINE REGARDING THE EVENTS TODAY ON THE NIEUW AMSTERDAM.

We regret to share that while calling at Half Moon Cay, The Bahamas, there was an incident in an engineering space on board Nieuw Amsterdam, which sadly resulted in the death of two crew members.
The appropriate authorities were notified, and the cause of the incident is currently being investigated.
All of us at Holland America Line are deeply saddened by this incident and our thoughts and prayers are with our team members’ families at this difficult time. The safety, security and welfare of all guests and crew are the company’s absolute priority. We are offering counseling services to team members who may have been affected by this incident.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 20

Captain on Nieuw Amsterdam confirms we are en route to Port Everglades, arriving sometime after 10am.  They cannot make up time because they are expecting rough weather overnight.  I think he also said they plan to board a crew assist team and additional engineers in Florida tomorrow to help.

There was no explosion like you think of the word- whatever happened was localized to the engineering spaces.  We felt and heard nothing on deck 6 until the crew alarm went off and the Captain started making announcements. We had already been anchored for about an hour and tenders were already running.  He indicated there was no fire but a steam line did burst and for about an hour they had to vent the engineering space where it occurred of the port side.  It’s unclear whether the crew were injured in the initial burst or in trying to mitigate the problem.   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 18

This is so very sad.  Condolences to all.  Everyone is affected when we hear this kind of accident resulting in death.  Crew are so important to all cruisers and loved by all. 

• Like 21

6 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

This is so very sad.  Condolences to all.  Everyone is affected when we hear this kind of accident resulting in death.  Crew are so important to all cruisers and loved by all. 

Well said.

It is so sad.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

"THIS IS AN OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM HOLLAND AMERICA LINE REGARDING THE EVENTS TODAY ON THE NIEUW AMSTERDAM.

We regret to share that while calling at Half Moon Cay, The Bahamas, there was an incident in an engineering space on board Nieuw Amsterdam, which sadly resulted in the death of two crew members.

The appropriate authorities were notified, and the cause of the incident is currently being investigated.

All of us at Holland America Line are deeply saddened by this incident and our thoughts and prayers are with our team members’ families at this difficult time. The safety, security and welfare of all guests and crew are the company’s absolute priority. We are offering counseling services to team members who may have been affected by the incident."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

So it appears there is more damage to the ship than anyone is saying.  Tonight, the Rolling Stones lounge was closed and the entertainment there canceled although there was no announcement of this, we found out by trying to go.  I peaked in and there were water buckets abound, also in the hallway outside there was water dripping from the ceiling and fans set up everywhere. The cruise director has not been heard from since the incident, the only announcements have been from the Captain about our departure time and expected arrival in Florida in the morning.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, tomahawk43 said:

So it appears there is more damage to the ship than anyone is saying.  Tonight, the Rolling Stones lounge was closed and the entertainment there canceled although there was no announcement of this, we found out by trying to go.  I peaked in and there were water buckets abound, also in the hallway outside there was water dripping from the ceiling and fans set up everywhere. The cruise director has not been heard from since the incident, the only announcements have been from the Captain about our departure time and expected arrival in Florida in the morning.  

My mom is on this cruise and has had issues with cellular communication and when I heard of this devastating news I started to “googling” I came upon this platform and your posts have been very informative, and I thank you, my only connection to what is happening in real time 🙏🏼

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I was on the NA the week prior to this one (the JoCo24 charter), and a few from our charter remained onboard for this week. 

On our trip (3/9-3/16) we had a fuel leak sometime after midnight the first night -- serious enough that that there was almost the full alarm.  I was groggy with sleep and it took me more than a few moments to realize that we did not have the final blasts needed to sound the evacuation and I didn't need to go to the lifeboats.  Closest I have ever come to hearing those in real time (and not a drill) basically.  I doubt that the fuel leak was tied to the current incident -- its a big boat and there are lots of systems.  But it saddens me that there were deaths.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Very sad to hear this tragic news! Thoughts and prayers with the two engineering crew members, their families and the crew of Nieuw A. 😔 May they Rest in Eternal Peace! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1