Bringing wine on board

tgetz

On 3/29/2024 at 5:30 AM, Victoria2 said:

Sounds very tasty and would go well with pasta. 🙂 but don't ask for gravy with your pasta dish 'over here'. 😀

Nor ‘out here’ in California! 😱

2 hours ago, BEAV said:

Nor ‘out here’ in California! 😱

Being an uninitiated West Coaster, you’re forgiven for not knowing what real gravy is to have wit’ Sunday pasta…😁🍝

• Haha 2

Just don't ask for gravy in the southern states - you get some sort of white gloop!  And the biscuits they serve with it are more like scones.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/29/2024 at 7:08 AM, NE John said:

“Spaghetti and gravy” is an Italian American term from the NYC-NJ-Philly corridor. It’s a tomato sauce made with meatballs, pork ribs, sausages cooked inside the sauce. @BklynBoy8 would know “gravy” but he may just call it sauce. 

When I visited Italy last year a lovely Italian grandmother called pasta sauce gravy. I was visiting a friend's grandmother in Bari to drop off some treats my friend asked me to deliver and got invited to stay to dinner. She showed me how to make orecchiette and served it with what she termed "a lovely gravy". Don't know if maybe she picked it up from her family across the pond on the east coast here but that's what she called it. 

• Like 2

On 3/29/2024 at 12:48 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

Cheers........... with you drinks and toasts.......Bon Voyage....

BTW...... Marinara with Seafood and pasta is known as Zuppa Di Pesce

or Frutti di mare which is my favorite dish in the whole world!  I just had over in Tuscany and Sicily two weeks ago.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I browsed through their extensive wine list and I think I am going to try some wines from countries I have never had before e.g.. India, Israel, UK!

Ok so I buy a bottle at 20% off, how bad can it be?!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

I browsed through their extensive wine list and I think I am going to try some wines from countries I have never had before e.g.. India, Israel, UK!

Nowadays, English wine, at least, is usually pretty nice, if a little expensive.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2024 at 5:54 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

Biscuits and Sausage Gravy I've heard

That's what they call it. Gravy of any sort at breakfast does not appeal to me.

Your definitions of gravy and sauce match mine. A Jersey Girl grows up knowing this! 

Posted (edited)
On 3/29/2024 at 11:22 AM, elmsliebev said:

and marinara to me (UK) is a pasta sauce with seafood! 

Just been having the "how much drink can we take on board" conversation with relatives we're travelling on QA with soon. We've decided on a couple of bottles of champane for on their balcony and they'll take some rum as well. Already got the premium alcohol free drinks package but I'm disappointed ginger ale might no longer be on it. I do hope the Sicilian lemon is still available. 

I do not understand the lack of ginger ale. Doesn't anyone want that as a mixer any more? It's about the only soda/pop/soft drink I like. And if I'm feeling a bit of mal de mer, that's what I want (and NOT diet, feh!) I think a quick run to ASDA in Southampton is in my future...

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

56 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I do not understand the lack of ginger ale. Doesn't anyone want that as a mixer any more? It's about the only soda/pop/soft drink I like. And if I'm feeling a bit of mal de mer, that's what I want (and NOT diet, feh!) I think a quick run to ASDA in Southampton is in my future...

Don't know why not?

It's listed on the most current Chart Room and Main Bar menus.

Chart Room lists; Ginger Ale under FEVER-TREE MIXERS at $3.45 for 200ml.

Main Bar lists it under MIXERS as Fever-Tree Premium Ginger Ale at same price and no mention of size.

I can't see anything in the package conditions to suggest it wouldn't be included. That price is less than many other drinks that you would expect to be available.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2024 at 8:32 PM, TravelinGert said:

I was visiting a friend's grandmother in Bari to drop off some treats my friend asked me to deliver and got invited to stay to dinner. She showed me how to make orecchiette and served it with what she termed "a lovely gravy". 

We have dear close neighbors that the family come from Bari Italy and they call Plain Tomato "Sauce" and sauce with meat added "Meatball, Sausage and Beef Braciole" known as Sunday Gravy. Two completely different styles of tomato preparations. There is also Tomato Sauce and Marinara Sauce also two different alone tomato preparations.

Old Country now in American especially in my neighborhood (Bensonhurst & Little Italy) and true Italian NYC Restaurants will show as a regular and not as a special on Sundays "Sunday Plate" with Meat Sauce and those accompanying Meats as mentioned above.

Mangia!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

That's what they call it. Gravy of any sort at breakfast does not appeal to me.

Your definitions of gravy and sauce match mine. A Jersey Girl grows up knowing this! 

Kathy,

I learned Biscuits and Sausage (White) Gravy from watching Southern Show and Matlock, his favorite as a child.

• Like 1

Kathy,

I don't understand some of these LACKS...on board. On our past sailing with you especially in the PG and last July on board they did not have Darjeeling Tea. I had to settle for English Breakfast and Earl Gray offered to me. But if you went to the Champ's High Tea Service they did have the high class darjeeling available.

I am thinking of bringing my own Darjeeling next March on board to have made for me if still not available. Embarrassing isn't it.

Darjeeling Tea I remember was the Classic Tea served on the Queen Elizabeth 2 always available. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I do not understand the lack of ginger ale. 

Kathy,

Did you ever ask for Fever Tree brand?

I like their Tonic Water in the bottle of course, for G&T's.

I know I see Ginger Ale under that name.

I have always been told not to get mixes from the soda nozzle at the bar. Not the same.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcS10J9YCcdI1OHaseNzmAUNRIVAWgOn6CCeSnZnyRgQ7oE52RF4aVJGsim630AA0vsJ7COiI1_7qBbuelY9ijeNgZoBGsuKvuJtOz1o4zeVkSnMnbxztyuLGJvk

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 1

The QV Chart Room menu from last October's cruise list Fentiman's Brewed Ginger Beer, whether they actually have it available is a moot point, they didn't have any Dandelion & Burdock when requested.

image.thumb.png.bd128eec7727906ba86545bf398a0f69.png

Chart Room Menu.pdf

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Kathy,

I don't understand some of these LACKS...on board. On our past sailing with you especially in the PG and last July on board they did not have Darjeeling Tea. I had to settle for English Breakfast and Earl Gray offered to me. But if you went to the Champ's High Tea Service they did have the high class darjeeling available.

I am thinking of bringing my own Darjeeling next March on board to have made for me if still not available. Embarrassing isn't it.

Darjeeling Tea I remember was the Classic Tea served on the Queen Elizabeth 2 always available. 

Fortunately, they still have Assam, which I like, but I do miss the Darjeeling. HAL used to have a nice Darjeeling as their "house brand" tea, but that's been gone for years. 

The Fever Tree seems to be gone, and on QV last fall, I couldn't find any ginger ale. Ginger beer is not the same thing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, rakkor said:

The QV Chart Room menu from last October's cruise list Fentiman's Brewed Ginger Beer, whether they actually have it available is a moot point, they didn't have any Dandelion & Burdock when requested.

image.thumb.png.bd128eec7727906ba86545bf398a0f69.png

Chart Room Menu.pdf 2.46 MB · 4 downloads

I've seen Fentimens ginger beer on the menu of new Indian restaurant on QA, which makes me happy as it goes very well with spicy food. 

On QE I used to drink Moscow Donkey (as the staff named it) - ginger ale and lime. I'll report back from QA next month!

On 5/6/2024 at 12:14 PM, Judyrem said:

We were on the Food & Wine cruise last year on the QM2 and one of the wine expert speakers onboard encouraged us to try the red from India. We did, and very much enjoyed it. 

• Thanks 1