Container Ship Struck Key Bridge in Baltimore, Bridge has Collapsed

4 minutes ago, Lane Hog said:

Biden has already declared this a Federal responsibility.  Competing with private industry might not be a concern -- the Corps of Engineers does the planning, not the work. 

This won't be a case of lowest bidder.  It will be a case of who can be onsite first with the right equipment.

The only matter right now for private industry is how much of a premium they can extract. 

I'm there with the three month estimate.  

A three month estimate takes us to June 12th, 2024.

6 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

But who is the source, the actual person providing this expert opinion?

You know there's a ton of sidebars and backchanneling going on among people who know and who need to know.

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

You know there's a ton of sidebars and backchanneling going on among people who know and who need to know.

I stated my case and I hope I am proven wrong. This is not I95 in Philadelphia on land that only had to be filled in and paved until a long term solution is found.

Again, I hope I am wrong but after 47 years of working.

No matter how fast I want to build a house, the foundation must be laid before any framing happens. The roof can only be put on after the framing. The plumbing and electrical can only be done at certain times.

There are only so many special cranes to pull the metal out of the water. Divers need time to cut steel and attach the cranes to pull out the steel.

Think of all of the steps involved and it can be done under 78 days?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

I take these cruises to get AWAY from these people with these conspiracy theories 🙂

Do you know your lifeboat was probably provided by the lowest bidder?

Be afraid, be very afraid!

I am a very positive person. I want my cruise to succeed and I want your cruise to succeed.

I keep saying that this incident was an extraordinary event and it is just going to take time to fix and repair.

I wish I could wave a magic wand and fix everything in 60 days but I also have to deal in the reality of the situation, not just what "I want to happen."

Edited by Engineroom Snipe
typo

18 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I stated my case and I hope I am proven wrong. This is not I95 in Philadelphia on land that only had to be filled in and paved until a long term solution is found.

Again, I hope I am wrong but after 47 years of working.

No matter how fast I want to build a house, the foundation must be laid before any framing happens. The roof can only be put on after the framing. The plumbing and electrical can only be done at certain times.

There are only so many special cranes to pull the metal out of the water. Divers need time to cut steel and attach the cranes to pull out the steel.

Think of all of the steps involved and it can be done under 78 days?

Definitely not I-95. But there's a lot more eyes (and therefore $$$) on this than the I-95 effort, too.

Ha no worries @Engineroom Snipe I totally wasn't referring to your timelines on repairs and such (although I predict with zero authority that channel will be open by May 31)...I was more referring to the more dubious extreme conspiracists (ex. Biden planned it, no Jared planned it!!!)

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

Definitely not I-95. But there's a lot more eyes (and therefore $$$) on this than the I-95 effort, too.

You and I have had respectful discussions without animosity or vitriol.

I understand your discussion that their is "power and resources" trying to get the harbor open.

My OPINION is that the resources are limited despite how much power is brought to bear.

The clock is ticking.

Our debate will end on June 1st, 2024.

The harbor will be clear and I will have to eat crow.

This would not be the first time I am wrong.

Now try and get @chengkp75 to agree with your opinion.

2 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

You and I have had respectful discussions without animosity or vitriol.

I understand your discussion that their is "power and resources" trying to get the harbor open.

My OPINION is that the resources are limited despite how much power is brought to bear.

The clock is ticking.

Our debate will end on June 1st, 2024.

The harbor will be clear and I will have to eat crow.

This would not be the first time I am wrong.

Now try and get @chengkp75 to agree with your opinion.

There's a huge economic impact unlike any other recent transportation disaster. And there's another thing coming up that shouldn't be discussed here.  There's just a lot of extra motivation to get this done ASAP and I think it gets done.

6 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

Ha no worries @Engineroom Snipe I totally wasn't referring to your timelines on repairs and such (although I predict with zero authority that channel will be open by May 31)...I was more referring to the more dubious extreme conspiracists (ex. Biden planned it, no Jared planned it!!!)

@pghflyer.

Are you sure, even paranoid people have real enemies (one of my favorite quotes)!

Life is short and we are all doing our best.

Carry on.

😁

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

There's a huge economic impact unlike any other recent transportation disaster. And there's another thing coming up that shouldn't be discussed here.  There's just a lot of extra motivation to get this done ASAP and I think it gets done.

All of your undercurrents are understood.

I hope you are right and I am wrong.

That would be good for so many people.

For every day that these poor souls are at the bottom of the Ocean you can add another day to our predictions for when this channel opens up.  This is a grave site right now and until all of these bodies are recovered nothing else is going to move.  I have not seen any news today about recovery  but until all six are accounted for no steel is coming out of the channel and the ship probably will not be removed.  

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

For every day that these poor souls are at the bottom of the Ocean you can add another day to our predictions for when this channel opens up.  This is a grave site right now and until all of these bodies are recovered nothing else is going to move.  I have not seen any news today about recovery  but until all six are accounted for no steel is coming out of the channel and the ship probably will not be removed.  

So few people understand your words which are stated well.

The water flow is swift and difficult for divers.

This is still a forensic scene until everything is analyzed and documented.

So much has to be done.

I feel your respect.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

They may have to move/remove parts of the structure in order to search for and recover the bodies.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

There is that saying that nine women can't have a baby in one month. I tend to agree that there is a practical limit to how quickly the bridge can be cleared. It will require special equipment and careful planning and execution. Even if they started tomorrow, there is only so much they can do at once. Six weeks seems like a stretch unless it turns out that all they need to do is lift a few large sections out of the channel in big pieces and there are no setbacks.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

They found 2 bodies today in a red pickup truck..  That leaves 2 more which they think are under the debris where they can't get without moving it.  This all will not be as quick as some hope. Hope and reality are two different things.  And, we're on the 4 and 12 Apr Vision cruises.  Still waiting for where we'll board.  We made a hotel reservation in Elizabeth, NJ today.  We don't need one on the off chance it's Norfolk as my sister and mother live in Newport News.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, BND said:

They found 2 bodies today in a red pickup truck..  That leaves 2 more which they think are under the debris where they can't get without moving it.  

Tuesday = 2 found alive

Wednesday = 2 found underwater

Under Debris = 2

What about the other 2?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Tuesday = 2 found alive

Wednesday = 2 found underwater

Under Debris = 2

What about the other 2?

I missed that there were 8 as all I've heard the last two days is that there were 6.  So, 4 under debris, possibly.

Edited by BND

1 hour ago, ticketsunlimited said:

True, but they aren't putting off planning channel clearing until the recovery operation is over.

Planning (acquiring resources and equipment, etc.) and recovery can be done at the same time.

4 minutes ago, BND said:

There weren't 2 others.  There were 6 missing.

"The search for six people presumed dead became a recovery effort in the wake of the collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge Tuesday. Two were recovered in a red pickup truck Wednesday morning."  = Still four missing

"Officials say that eight people were working on the bridge at the time of the collapse. Two people were rescued from the water shortly after Tuesday's collapse. One of the rescued workers was unhurt, the other was treated at the University of Maryland Medical Center and has been discharged." 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ticketsunlimited said:

They just announced they are transitioning to a salvage operation  That implies to me that the will be removing steel keeping in account there sre still bodies present.