Royal Transatlantic Questions

Iceland/Greenland route had 40 degrees and 40 kt winds.  Large Princess ship had quite a bit of movement at 20 kt cruising speed between Iceland and Greenland.  Small Princess ship (300 passenger) was ahead of us and only able to do 7 kt since they didn't have stabilizers. 

In our case the Captain wasn't sure we could visit Nanatorlik and was looking at getting permission to sail through a Greenland fjord.  We did miss a port in Canada because the winds across the port entrance made it impossible to sail in.

Moral - expect rough seas and bring bonine if you need it.  And be prepared for a variety of weather.  Still worth it to visit places we never would have otherwise.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 2:11 PM, LB_NJ said:

My comment about iffy weather was not really about storms, although they are possible, it is that depending on the route in can be cold and rainy.

This is not the Caribbean or a summer cruise TA cruise.

As others have said it is the luck of the draw.

As long as you understand that weather can be unpredictable go for it.

Fyi, cruises that start in the US and end in the Mediterranean or vice versa can be up to 15 days long.  It is like a Mediterranean cruise coupled with a 7/8 day TA.

Last TA had FOG!  Lots of fog for days.  I found the sound of the fog horn to be relaxing but others had a different experience and had sleepless nights.   Guess it had to do with our cabin placement in relation to the actual horn.

M

• Like 1

We are from the UK and we've booked Indy from Miami to Southampton in April 2025 and will go out 5 days before to spend some time in Miami and fill up the suitcases!

We are waiting to see what one way flight options RC can offer to Miami and otherwise will probably have to book a return flight and not use the return part.

Any other flight suggestions welcome (we don't have airmiles or similar).

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Last TA had FOG!  Lots of fog for days.  I found the sound of the fog horn to be relaxing but others had a different experience and had sleepless nights.   Guess it had to do with our cabin placement in relation to the actual horn.

I forgot about the fog horn, we had a lot of fog also.  We had an ocean view cabin low and midship so it didn’t bother us.  Took that cabin because it would be the best if the waves got too bad but they never really went above about 12-16 feet so not that bad. However I am glad we weren’t towards the front of the ship because of the fog horn. Would never have slept.

15 minutes ago, steveso said:

We are waiting to see what one way flight options RC can offer to Miami and otherwise will probably have to book a return flight and not use the return part.

We had the same problem however we ended up not throwing away the return ticket and went back to Italy.  By then we had enough airline miles (got one of those airline credit cards that gives you lots of miles for getting the card) to fly back to the USA from Porto.  

RC was NO help in getting good airline prices.  Maybe you will have more luck.  FYI, there are rumors that airlines go after people who discard international return tickets but that may not be true.

Posted (edited)

As others have said here I’m sure, find a good TA to get you a refundable group rate and book as far out as you can to get the best price. We prefer the Europe to US route better because instead of losing the 6 hours along the way, you gain the 6 hours!

Sea days are my favorite, there’s plenty to do, they usually have guest lectures and lots of activities, or you can just sit on deck or on your balcony and read a book

The food sometimes reflects the region but mostly is just the regular menu, which is fine for us.  We used to always eat in the MDR, but find it’s actually better in the WJ because there’s more choices and you can eat when you want.

I sometimes book our own flights to Europe and arrange the transfers to our pre-cruise accommodations…last year our TA returned to Florida so we took Amtrak home from Ft Lauderdale. This year we’re doing 2 world cruise legs so our TA did the air travel thru Air2Sea. We’re also doing Odyssey TA back to Cape Liberty in November, and I booked our flight to Rome, my TA booked our A2S back to Florida from NJ. So whichever way is easiest for you will work.

EDIT to add that if you book your flights thru Royal, you don’t have to pay for them until final payment, so if you need to cancel, there’s no penalty. Something to consider when booking so far out.

Edited by lovesthebeach2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

M

I've had that fog horn out of Galveston. It was so annoying trying to sleep.

2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

M

41 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've had that fog horn out of Galveston. It was so annoying trying to sleep.

Fog horn was going off frequently on our Sept 2022 Arctic Crossing.  Had a spacious OV under the bridge wing.  Didn't bother me ... one of the advantages of being hearing impaired.  😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Fog horn was going off frequently on our Sept 2022 Arctic Crossing.  Had a spacious OV under the bridge wing.  Didn't bother me ... one of the advantages of being hearing impaired.  😄

Oh boy do we remember that! Although we’re not hard of hearing, between the noise machine and my earplugs I didn’t hear it at night.i didn’t mind the horn as much as I did the fog which impaired us from seeing any northern lights….if there were any.

4 hours ago, steveso said:

We are from the UK and we've booked Indy from Miami to Southampton in April 2025 and will go out 5 days before to spend some time in Miami and fill up the suitcases!

Hi we went on a Transatlantic in 2017 on Independence.We travelled from Glasgow to Newark then on to Fort Lauderdale with United for £674 including luggage for both of us.We phoned RC as soon as the flights came out at about 11mths.I thought it was a great price.

This year we had airmiles as sometimes I do online surveys and had enough to get flights from Glasgow to Lhr then to Miami for both of us  with luggage with BA for £600 plus I think it was 11000 airmiles.If you could get some airmiles by using their credit card with an offer or maybe if a family member had some spare.I transfered some hotel loyalty points and Sainsburys to get BA avios.

You'd have to be quick to get the BA reward  flights as soon as they come out.I booked mine on 25/05/23.It has to be BA flights not partner flights to get the best price.Hope this us of some help to you.Enjoy your trip and Indie.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/30/2024 at 7:50 AM, MtnSeaGirl said:

I would like to thank each of you for the sage advice you gave.  I truly appreciate each piece of insight.  I do have one more question if anyone circles back to this thread.  I saw one poster say that some repositioning cruises are during iffy weather.  I realize no one can predict weather so I won't hold anyone responsible LOL, but as a general rule for transatlantic cruises are the months to be concerned about diff than the Southern Carib cruises or are there particular months in general that are the worst?  I understand TA cruises are when they are and may not sail every month. Most of our cruises have been in Nov, Jan, late April, early May, one in June.  All have been from Florida except one from San Juan. I live in Fl; they just seem to have the ports we like.   I don't get sea sick as a general rule ( hope I did not just jinx myself for our  Carib cruise next week ).  DH rarely gets sea sick.   And, if anyone has further advice, I will continue to read.  Thanks again for all and have a wonderful weekend.  

Although you mentioned doing an EB TA (spring), we took a WB TA (fall) on Wonder in 2022.  Here's what the conditions were like at sea during that cruise since I know a lot of people are worried about hurricanes with the WB TAs in the fall:

The other thing we liked about doing the fall TA was that we were going from cooler to warmer temps during the cruise AND those extra hours added during the crossing were sweet!  We enjoyed it so much we're doing our second one next year and really looking forward to it.

Whatever you decide, just do it!  TAs are a fantastic way to get to know a ship (especially the really big ones if you like them) and a great way to travel.

Edited by Teeara

23 hours ago, steveso said:

If time and budget allow, you could try to match up the "redundant" leg of the return flight with a transatlantic going in the other direction. So, for example, you could book from Southampton to Miami in Oct/Nov this year and then book a round trip flight that matches up with the dates for your spring one next year.

Priceline will bundle hotel and one way flight. Offering $300 to $400 off, though they say up to $600 off. I see some decent deals. When I read the rome section on cc they all say only book a hotel directly in rome. Have any of you actually had trouble with you rome hotels? I'm looking in the vicinity of the spanish steps first, and as a second choice near the coleseum both of which i want to see. Seems like those close hotels to the Spanish steps there are a lot of walkable food places, though the rooms I'm considering are smaller. But more convenient. 

Other concerns maybe someone here has experience with. Even hotels that say they have AC dont have it in may, they said by law it cant be turned on until June 1st. Someone else said 200 satalittle tv channels ... all in italian. I have not learned to stream. It seems I need to learn if I want to see any tv in English. I'm looking for inexpensive but clean and of course safe with a good bed. The beds on royal are at about my limit for hardness. I like soft pillow top mattresses. Yes I know picky but my back wouldnt take a hard mattress. 

I'm pricing out hotel plus flight for 4 or 6 nights. I'm a little worried I'll be hot, the mosquitoes will be horrible (I'm ultra sensitive to bug bites). My first TA so dont beat me up, just looking for information. I'm booked. Of course I could just fly straight home but would like to see stuff but not be miserable. Oh I also dont eat pasta. I'd have to be starving. When royal does italian night i pretty much eat bread and whatever to get thru that meal. So i am concerned. Yes I'm bringing bug spray. I'd stay longer if i knew what to expect and think I'll like it. I read so many negative things.

Hi

Thanks for the suggestions. Norse Atlantic look a good possible choice and their premium offering looks good. However they have some dire Trustpilot ratings. Anyone ever flown on Norse?

On 4/3/2024 at 4:42 PM, firefly333 said:

The beds on royal are at about my limit for hardness. I like soft pillow top mattresses. Yes I know picky but my back wouldnt take a hard mattress. 

That is going to be your biggest problem! All mattresses are hard in Europe - no pillow top!

• Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 6:14 PM, MtnSeaGirl said:

We are drooling over some of the Transatlantic cruises and have a plethora of questions:

Has anyone sailed post Covid from the US to Spain or England and can speak to what you liked or disliked?

Was there enough different food choices to enjoy on this many sea days? ( one of the sailings is on the Explorer which does not have a lot of speciality restaurants; we are not that picky )

Did you book the cruise and the airfare back yourself or did you use a travel agent?

Heck - Look, we have never sailed on a Transatlantic less more flown out the country but we are not getting any  younger.  Do you have any advice, tips or tricks you are willing to share?

We are thinking of 2026 which is not posted yet, but we expect some of the ports may be silimar.  We traditionally book 9 to 12 months out and enjoy counting off the months, then weeks, then days.  It makes the time go by faster and our work to be a little sweeter when thinking of the pay off.   Thanking you in advance for any advice you can offer.  

We cruised on Harmony of the Seas during Covid from Barcelona To Cape Canaveral. We

had a great time. 1200 Cruisers aboard, so the ship was about 20% occupied! Go and don't worry about TA's. We love them! I believe the cruise was 10/2021 to 11/2021. 15 nights

and go on TA's!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IsanTom said:

We cruised on Harmony of the Seas during Covid from Barcelona To Cape Canaveral. We

had a great time. 1200 Cruisers aboard, so the ship was about 20% occupied! Go and don't worry about TA's. We love them! I believe the cruise was 10/2021 to 11/2021. 15 nights

and go on TA's!

I can assure you they’re not 20% occupied any more. TAs have shot up in popularity since the restart with surprisingly large numbers of kids.

I am doing my first TA/ repositioning cruise on Anthem in 2 weeks.  I am looking forward to finding out how Royal handles a TA.  I have completed many TA's on Cunard and they do an amazing job on them.  Do not be afraid to do a TA, they are so different that a normal cruise.  Just remember you have more sea days in a row than you do on other cruises.

• Like 1