A game changer coming for Florida cruising

What did we miss in Bermuda.  Been there.  Have no interest in going back.  What did we miss?  Why do you all want to go there?  Love sea days.  Actually spent our second day in Bermuda on the ship.  We could not find a reason to get off.  

53 minutes ago, HotRoot said:

What did we miss in Bermuda.  Been there.  Have no interest in going back.  What did we miss?  Why do you all want to go there?  Love sea days.  Actually spent our second day in Bermuda on the ship.  We could not find a reason to get off.  

I love Bermuda and there is definitely plenty to do there. There are, of course, the beaches for people who love those. I personally love the lack of pushy street vendors and panhandling. I love to go to Hamilton and go to all the stores and parks. And I really love to go to St. George and go to all the cute little shops and cafes. Plus the attractions like the Crystal Caves... Oh, and I love that a $19 day pass gets you unlimited bus and ferry fare all around the island.

• Like 5

We took a cruise to Bermuda once. The weather was the worst we have ever had on a cruise. It poured the whole way there and poured the whole time we were at the island. The sun finally came out on our last morning. And this was in June! Should probably give it another try.

I am not sold.  We took a luxury yacht cruise shore excursion when we were there.  We could have been anywhere in the world.  The beaches could have been anywhere in the world.  Walked around town.  Everything was expensive but then I am not a shopper.  Loved the sail in and sail out in that narrow channel.  Can't do cave as I am very claustophobic.  Recently tried to do the salt mines in Bogota.  Could not do it.  

It’s not going to be Bermuda. The hyped-up tagline was specifically directed to “Florida residents.” Anyone could board a cruise to Bermuda. 

My money is on Brightline. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, HotRoot said:

I am not sold.  We took a luxury yacht cruise shore excursion when we were there.  We could have been anywhere in the world.  The beaches could have been anywhere in the world.  Walked around town.  Everything was expensive but then I am not a shopper.  Loved the sail in and sail out in that narrow channel.  Can't do cave as I am very claustophobic.  Recently tried to do the salt mines in Bogota.  Could not do it.  

Definitely sounds like Bermuda is not for you. Luckily, there are lots of other great cruise destinations as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

I love Bermuda and there is definitely plenty to do there. There are, of course, the beaches for people who love those. I personally love the lack of pushy street vendors and panhandling. I love to go to Hamilton and go to all the stores and parks. And I really love to go to St. George and go to all the cute little shops and cafes. Plus the attractions like the Crystal Caves... Oh, and I love that a $19 day pass gets you unlimited bus and ferry fare all around the island.

I agree.  I have been there over 30 times, flying in and staying at the hotels.  2x by ship.

But, we love the pink sand beaches, aqua water, black lava coral coves, the fort, crystal caves,  the people and renting motor bikes to explore the island.  (Be careful on the turnabouts, they drive on the opposite side of the road!) 😆 

Hamilton is expensive but it is charming, as well as the pubs.  

One of the most relaxing islands, especially great for a beach day. 

Go during the summer when the weather is warm.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Ellipooh said:

It’s not going to be Bermuda. The hyped-up tagline was specifically directed to “Florida residents.” Anyone could board a cruise to Bermuda. 

My money is on Brightline. 

The "announcement" also mentions new sailings from New York City. That's why I speculate they could add Bermuda sailings (separate from the Florida announcement). If they do, I will jump on them so fast!

Edited by talkorpi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Thrak said:

Not "fightin' words" for me but I do definitely tend to enjoy the sea days more than the port days.

I get that.  But if that is the case does it really matter what ports are on the itinerary? Wouldn't any itinerary that has mostly Sea Days be just as nice?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ellipooh said:

Funny how so many people are missing this point!

8 minutes ago, talkorpi said:

The "announcement" also mentions new sailings from New York City. That's why I speculate they could add Bermuda sailings (separate from the Florida announcement). If they do, I will jump on them so fast!

The text before the announcement graphic specifically mentions "New round trip sailings from New York," but maybe people are missing that and only reading the text in the graphic?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, talkorpi said:

The Island is doing three 10-day Caribbean sailings from New York in 2025 (July 4, August 19, August 29) that spend two days in Bermuda. 

1 hour ago, talkorpi said:

Is this what you're referring to? I saw it yesterday but didn't share it here since it doesn't appear to have anything to do with Florida. I'm indifferent either way so it didn't really register as a big deal.

Screenshot_20240402_111504_Facebook.jpg

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

The text before the announcement graphic specifically mentions "New round trip sailings from New York," but maybe people are missing that and only reading the text in the graphic?

Two separate items rolled into one email. The NYC sailings have already been opened for bookings, They Just want to use the webinar to draw agents attention to them alongside the “game changer” announcement. Very common for companies to do this

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, TRLD said:

I wonder if it has something to do with that building that has been under construction next to terminal 2. 

That building is a new  part of the convention center so that can't be it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, azbirdmom said:

Well this new post knocks new ports out of speculation.

image.thumb.png.35b39b1218b4d4a7a5cbb380958724b8.png

Game changing innovation?!!  So now it's an innovation and from a secret location?!!  

This better be some big announcement!  LOL

• Haha 6

I still stick to it being a Brightline partnership that includes parking at Brightline stations and allows for “seamless” addition of Brightline train fare (with connecting port shuttles) included as part of the booking process (much like adding ezair or hotel/transfers are today). This would be a “game changer” for many Florida drive market consumers as it would alleviate port parking hassles. 

• Like 2

Adding Brightline connection to FLL would be great, this would also allow for people to fly into Orlando as the new Terminal C has a Brightline stop.   Not so sure about Port Canaveral, that would have to be a bus transfer, there is no Brightline connection to there ( would love to see Brightline run across the I4 corridor ).   I considered using Brightline  for our family July cruise on RCL but we need the car for the 2 days prior with DD and her family.   If it was just me and DH I would likely have done it.   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I still stick to it being a Brightline partnership that includes parking at Brightline stations and allows for “seamless” addition of Brightline train fare (with connecting port shuttles) included as part of the booking process (much like adding ezair or hotel/transfers are today). This would be a “game changer” for many Florida drive market consumers as it would alleviate port parking hassles. 

3 hours ago, knbcruisers said:

Adding Brightline connection to FLL would be great, this would also allow for people to fly into Orlando as the new Terminal C has a Brightline stop.   Not so sure about Port Canaveral, that would have to be a bus transfer, there is no Brightline connection to there ( would love to see Brightline run across the I4 corridor ).   I considered using Brightline  for our family July cruise on RCL but we need the car for the 2 days prior with DD and her family.   If it was just me and DH I would likely have done it.   

Brightline from OIA takes 3 hours and you're still not at Port Everglades

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

You may very well be right but as a Floridian, I will still say that this is so far from a game changer for the local market as they are stating.  

There are so few stations and all on the East coast, parking at many of the stations aren't that great (especially Miami) and the only stop close to one of their port is the Fort Lauderdale stop.  (There isn't that much parking near that station either.)Having a shuttle would work there.  The Orlando stop is an hour plus ride to Port Canaveral depending on time of day and traffic.  

How this is going to be game changing or innovating is clearly overstating what it is. And Brightline had already partnered with a cruise line when it became the virgin trains for a short time and it could be tied with the virgin voyages out of Port Miami, so again it's nothing revolutionary.

Brightline is great and there are great deals on it already.  Just this week it was a BOGO deal but even when I lived on Brickell Ave in Miami, I still didn't use it to go to the port.  It involved uber drives to the station and then uber drives to the Port.  Parking at the port or nearby was considerably much easier and faster. I took the train quite a bit but never once for cruise.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

I'm telling you, they bought those DCL busses! 🚌 

They were (are, and repainted??) owned by Mears.  The Magical Express Service to WDW and PE was a cooperative arrangement with Mears that Disney ended. 

The promo with Carmen's name on it pasted into the post above certainly does look like a transportation/parking "breakthrough."  I will leave it to the Floridians like our Host to determine if this is a game changer or a diaper changer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4