A game changer coming for Florida cruising

I wonder if you can actually watch your luggage be put on the train at MCO or if you hand it in at some other point.  If the latter it seems like one more risk.  I can think of a LOT of things that would be game changing, this sure isn't.

• Like 3

On 3/28/2024 at 6:57 PM, PescadoAmarillo said:

Hopefully it’s a good thing!  Details will be released publicly next week, but usually someone here gets some early information. 

IMG_0058.jpeg

What did they say about “ new, round trip New York sailings,” they mention on here?

• Like 1

"Florida’s high-speed Brightline train has partnered with Princess Cruises for a “Rail & Sail” program that includes one of its trains made over with the iconic imagery of the brand with ties to “The Love Boat.”  This picture is from the local Sun Sentinel's coverage of the announcement (picture courtesy of Princess Cruises). 

Brightline-and-Princess.thumb.webp.d4cc6208fd201b2b358554f8b49254d5.webp

• Thanks 1

I think CruisnFinsup is right that this could be very good for those who want to add days before or after in Orlando.  Fly in to MCO, enjoy Orlando, return your rental to MCO and hop on the train.  I live an hour from MCO and would have to the math.  I don’t enjoy the drive to South Florida,  But this would only work if we were going down day of the cruise.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, knbcruisers said:

But this would only work if we were going down day of the cruise.

I would never use Brightline on the same day of a cruise when a delay could mean missing the cruise.  Please be aware that Brightline has the highest accident rate in the country - not due to their operations but due to cars trying to beat the train and people intent on committing suicide on the tracks - that could strand you for hours along the route as @pedirn describes in post #112.

Most recently (January) a car tried unsuccessfully to beat the train in Melbourne and 3 people in the car died.  According to the AP article (https://apnews.com/article/brightline-high-speed-rail-florida-fatalities-67020b2cd33b6cbcf9d85ed029d18310) on that incident:

The three deaths in Melbourne this week mark at least 108 since it began operations in July 2017. That’s one death for approximately every 38,000 miles (61,000 kilometers) its trains travel, the worst death rate among the nation’s more than 800 railroads, an ongoing Associated Press analysis that began in 2019 shows.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Outerdog said:

So the cruise "game changer" has noting really to do with the ship or the cruise.

Nice.

And it doesn't affect the west side of the state or most of the state for that matter. They should have promoted it as a "Game Changer for SOME in Florida."

• Like 1

I guess this was marketed as a game changer for Floridians because the only way to use the seamless bag check onto the ship is if you take the train on the day of your cruise.  

And if you go to the Brightline page you can see that there are only 4 that are marked Princess going from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale.  They are the 6:50, 7:50, 8;50 and 9:50 am trains.  Guess those are the only ones that you can use this on. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, christraveller said:

The marketing folks at Princess ought to have a great meeting when they realize they tried to market a nothing burger with fanfare. 

It's becoming a common occurrence with that group.  SMH.

• Like 5

We are taking Brightline May 3rd from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale for our cruise departing May 4th.  We have had it booked for some time, As it is a transatlantic, we will not be taking it back. It will be interesting to see how it goes. We paid to check our two suitcases. We would not feel comfortable going down day of cruise. No matter what mode of transportation, we always go a day early. Also, personally I would be afraid to send our suitcases from there to the cruise ship. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, castlegetaway said:

We are taking Brightline May 3rd from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale for our cruise departing May 4th.  We have had it booked for some time, As it is a transatlantic, we will not be taking it back. It will be interesting to see how it goes. We paid to check our two suitcases. We would not feel comfortable going down day of cruise. No matter what mode of transportation, we always go a day early. Also, personally I would be afraid to send our suitcases from there to the cruise ship. 

Completely makes sense to use it in your situation.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 555 said:

What do they charge for a round trip?

Depends on the day and the time of your booking.  Could run from $74 per person one way to $174 per person one way for the basic fare, more for the premium for the Orlando to Fort Lauderdale run. This doesn't include the 15% discount if you book on the Princess trains.  This doesn't include checked bags which for Princess runs $35 per bag to be delivered to the ship, otherwise it's $25 per bag.  

Capriccio posted their website.  

1 minute ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Depends on the day and the time of your booking.  Could run from $74 per person one way to $174 per person one way for the basic fare, more for the premium. This doesn't include the 15% discount if you book on the Princess trains.  This doesn't include checked bags which for Princess runs $35 per bag to be delivered to the ship, otherwise it's $25 per bag.  

Capriccio posted their website.  

I saw that, thanks.

I was just curious. It doesn't apply to us where we live.

Of course this event has the usual over-hyping marketing gimmicks that we are used to from Princess (but, to be fair, they are not alone in employing over-hyped marketing to try and create excitement). 

That said, it seems clear they need to tweak this to allow similar benefits to folks who want to travel down to FLL the day before.  No way, I would take a same-day train. 

As for Port Canaveral, I like driving anyway, so I wouldn't want to train it to MCO and then have to shuttle to the port.  I'd just drive there. 

AFAIK, there is no sort of commuter service between Naples and Fort Lauderdale.  Sure, a bus service, but nothing special there.  The old rail line that ran from Naples up the west coast through Fort Myers is going to be turned into a cycling/walking trail in coming years.  From the southwest side, driving is the best option IMO. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, castlegetaway said:

We are taking Brightline May 3rd from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale for our cruise departing May 4th.  

Hope you got the BOGO deal that ended yesterday (for travel through May 31) 🤞😉

Rail operator: Brightline
Deal: Buy one ticket, get one free
Routes: All Florida routes
Travel dates: Through May 31
When to book: By April 6
How to book: Directly through Brightline using the promo code "NOJOKE24"

34 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

Hope you got the BOGO deal that ended yesterday (for travel through May 31) 🤞😉

Rail operator: Brightline
Deal: Buy one ticket, get one free
Routes: All Florida routes
Travel dates: Through May 31
When to book: By April 6
How to book: Directly through Brightline using the promo code "NOJOKE24"

Unfortunately, we booked our tickets months ago before all this! We did get a good deal though with a promo code at that time. They always run specials. Waiting to see if we like it before booking for our cruise in October.

On 4/7/2024 at 7:28 AM, 555 said:

What do they charge for a round trip?

From where I live it is $39 or $79 one way depending on level of service chosen     So from West Palm Beach to FT Lauderdale would be $78 RT.   Now there are two of us so least expensive would be $156 for two of us.   Now add taxi from our house to train station about $35 each way.   Comes to $226 RT for two.   I can park at port for $140 for the week or use a car service for about $125 each way.   Now car service is a little more but personal service with them picking us up at home, handling luggage.    I am just not seeing the value for me.   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pedirn said:

From where I live it is $39 or $79 one way depending on level of service chosen     So from West Palm Beach to FT Lauderdale would be $78 RT.   Now there are two of us so least expensive would be $156 for two of us.   Now add taxi from our house to train station about $35 each way.   Comes to $226 RT for two.   I can park at port for $140 for the week or use a car service for about $125 each way.   Now car service is a little more but personal service with them picking us up at home, handling luggage.    I am just not seeing the value for me.   

Add in the $35 per bag if you want the seamless travel where you check your bag and they bring it to the ship!  2 bags would bring your total to $296.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1