Second thoughts about cabin choice

Nily D

Hi all - my husband will be going on our first cruise ever to Alaska in June on the Ruby Princess. Very excited!

I made the purchase during the Black Friday sale a bit on a whim, and purchased the lowest priced balcony cabin (BD). It is on the Baja Deck in the "aft" section on the starboard side (B631 to be exact).

Now that it's getting closer, I've been reading more about cabins and am having second thoughts that we should have paid for a nicer/bigger one. So, my questions are:

- Is this cabin going to be OK? I think as long as there's no noise or excessive vibration from the engine, we should be fine. I doubt we would spend a ton of time in our room.

- Should I submit a bid to upgrade? That whole process seems confusing. Is it worthwhile to upgrade to  "premium" balcony? Those seem exactly the same but just in a different location? Or should I try for a mini-suite?

- Looking at the website there seem to be some nice Premium Balcony available at the back of the boat (eg., 754, 748 on decks 10 or 11). Can I just call/chat with Princess to switch the cabin and pay the difference?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

We have had balconies aft on Baja deck and thought they were just fine. We are not overly picky, but do prefer aft cabins. You’re right that in your ship the “premium” will be the same, but likely larger balcony (Caribe deck I think, or full aft)

Personally, I wouldn’t bother changing unless it was for a mini suite which will give you lots more space and a sofa in the cabin itself. 
If you’re not choosy about the location you could try to bid for a mini suite, but contact Princess first and ask how much to upgrade your cabin first. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nily D said:

Hi all - my husband will be going on our first cruise ever to Alaska in June on the Ruby Princess. Very excited!

I made the purchase during the Black Friday sale a bit on a whim, and purchased the lowest priced balcony cabin (BD). It is on the Baja Deck in the "aft" section on the starboard side (B631 to be exact).

Now that it's getting closer, I've been reading more about cabins and am having second thoughts that we should have paid for a nicer/bigger one. So, my questions are:

- Is this cabin going to be OK? I think as long as there's no noise or excessive vibration from the engine, we should be fine. I doubt we would spend a ton of time in our room.

- Should I submit a bid to upgrade? That whole process seems confusing. Is it worthwhile to upgrade to  "premium" balcony? Those seem exactly the same but just in a different location? Or should I try for a mini-suite?

- Looking at the website there seem to be some nice Premium Balcony available at the back of the boat (eg., 754, 748 on decks 10 or 11). Can I just call/chat with Princess to switch the cabin and pay the difference?

Welcome to cruise critic.

My opinion is you have a nice cabin and location. Don't overthink it.

If you really think you need to upgrade see if your TA can get you into a mini suite like @sunviking90 suggested depending on the cost difference. Honestly you don't spend a lot of time in your cabin. Just relax and have a good time.

• Like 2

If you start to overthink things, your brain will explode!  😃

Great advice already.  If it makes you more comfortable then, like @sunviking90 says,  ask Princess what it would cost to move to a different cabin.  I personally would stay with the one you have but it doesn't hurt to ask and you can always say no if the price is not right.   

If a mini suite on a cruise is $300-$400 pp. extra, we choose it. If the price is more like $800-$1,000 extra pp. we go with a balcony. It's all a matter of how much you want the sofa and larger shower/bathroom. On my next 3 cruises, one is in a balcony and two are in mini suites.

I've never had an inside room. That is my line in the sand.

Just off the Ruby a few weeks ago. B631 was my cabin. Great location, great balcony category cabin at good value. fully covered 9' x 5' balcony, does not connect by an interior door to the adjacent cabin, very close to aft elevators, quick to Botticelli DR, no noise except some vibration from the thrusters when docking. Say hello to Marlow, cabin steward, if still there. I believe he mentioned he would be on board until the fall.

Lets talk about "Premium" balcony cabins. These cabins have the exact same interiors as other balcony category cabins. One interior desk chair, no sofa, two balcony chairs with foot rests. The only difference is location. Premium cabins are mostly mid ship or aft facing.  Port and Starboard balcony cat. cabins on deck 10 have large 9' x 9' balconies half covered.

I try to avoid connecting cabins. You can locate them on the deck plans at Princess.com, onboard our ships, deck plans by checking the connecting cabin box. 

• Like 1

One thing too think about if you are thinking about upgrading to a mini - most of the minis have UNCOVERED balconies which may not be what you want in Alaska (only the minis on deck 8 are covered) and it does rain in Alaska!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don't think that you will be disappointed...

Now, if you just have money to burn or just feel like you need the space...we usually book mini-suite, but for an Alaskan cruise you have made a great "starter" choice! You really need to be able to step out on a balcony for a great view. Take binoculars!

Edited by Rick&Jeannie

Guest Snaxmuppet
Posted (edited)

You could always bid for a different cabin when you get the upgrade email through 🙂 

Edited by Snaxmuppet

15 hours ago, Nily D said:

Personally I'd stick with what you have.

A Premium balcony room is EXACTLY the same size--only the balcony is bigger. I don't see that as worth much extra.

A Deluxe balcony is larger & has a loveseat (tho you will lose some storage in the desk).

A mini-suite is larger still.

Now, I am a big fan of the upgrade process. I have had pretty good success. I usually bid just a bit over minimum. Very simple.

Have a great time--Alaska is so majestic!

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, KKB said:

A Deluxe balcony is larger & has a loveseat (tho you will lose some storage in the desk).

@KKB Not to contradict you, but the Ruby Princess does not have Deluxe Balconies.  The Ruby only has Balcony and Premium Balcony cabins, so the only way to get a couch/loveseat is to move to a Mini-Suite.  

@Nily D  If money is not a major concern, I personally would move to one of the aft-facing Premium Balconies on deck 10 or 11 that you mentioned.  Be careful of the ones that have a post in it that may block the view somewhat.  The aft -facing cabins will have less wind (virtually no wind) while the ship is moving, which will allow you to use it for longer periods of time for an Alaska cruise.  In addition, you get a view of both sides of the ship rather than just one side. B748 is one you mentioned and this would be my preference for it does not have a post to obstruct the view.  In my opinion C752 and C753 on deck 10  are the best Premium Balcony cabins, but they may not be available.

Edited by TAW1963

On my upcoming Alaska cruise, a Premium Deluxe balcony cabin is $52 pp. less than a mini suite for the entire cruise. A few months ago, the mini suite was actually less expensive.

It pays to check all of your options.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Thank you all so much for the advice and reassurance. Especially @skynight, who stayed in the exact same cabin - what a coincidence! Nothing is better than first hand experience. I will be sure to say hi to Marlowe for you 🙂.

I will stop overthinking before my head explodes, haha. I will bid in the upgrade process for a mini-suite, and then let fate/princess decide. But sounds like we would be perfectly happy in our current cabin so either way it will be great.

Edited by Nily D
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Nily D said:

Thank you all so much for the advice and reassurance! Especially @skynight, who stayed in the exact same cabin - what a coincidence. I will be sure to say hi to Marlowe for you 🙂.

I will stop overthinking before my head explodes, haha. I will bid in the upgrade process for a mini-suite, and then let fate/princess decide. But sounds like we would be perfectly happy in our current cabin so either way it will be great.

Personally, I don't think you were overthinking it.  You will be happy regardless, but you might just find a cabin that will be better for Alaska.   The Premium balconies that are aft-facing are also fully covered.  Alaska can be colder and while the ship is moving, you will get winds on either the starboard or port sides of the ship.  The fully covered, aft-facing Premium balconies will have virtually no wind while traveling and you will be protected if it rains.  This will allow you to enjoy the balcony in all kinds of weather.  The aft-facing view of the ships wake is also very appealing to my DW and I.  We have stayed in C752 on the Ruby and it was fantastic with its large, covered, aft-facing balcony.  Of course, this is just my opinion.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nily D said:

Thank you all so much for the advice and reassurance. Especially @skynight, who stayed in the exact same cabin - what a coincidence! Nothing is better than first hand experience. I will be sure to say hi to Marlowe for you 🙂.

Awesome!  Good luck with the bid and Enjoy!  

• Like 1

We had an inside cabin for our alaskan cruise and glad.....a balcony would have went to waste never being used by us floridians....50 degrees is way too cold 🤣

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Moondogy said:

We had an inside cabin for our alaskan cruise and glad.....a balcony would have went to waste never being used by us floridians....50 degrees is way too cold 🤣

Amen to that, 31 years in Florida for us and we did Alaska one time and that was enough, places like Greenland, Iceland, Scotland, Ireland and Scandinavia are not on our Bucket List.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MISTER 67 said:

Amen to that, 31 years in Florida for us and we did Alaska one time and that was enough, places like Greenland, Iceland, Scotland, Ireland and Scandinavia are not on our Bucket List.

Thank you for your service sir...and welcome home.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Haha, conversely, we are from the city where Mark Twain famously said the "coldest winter he ever spent was a summer in San Francisco" 🙂. I still love to have a balcony. Even if we're not sitting there for hours, it's nice to be able to go outside to look at the scenery or (hopefully) wildlife!

This cruise is actually to prepare for even more extreme ones, since we really want to go to Antarctica and Norway for the northern lights. This is a trial run so bring on the cold 🙂

Edited by Nily D
  • Like 2

I would suggest to stay where you are, nice location with easy access to buffet and rear pool via rear elevators.

Also in many cases your upgrade could be a downgrade in location.

• Like 1

I think you will be happy!

As mentioned, the mini-suite balconies are often un-covered and totally exposed to the elements.

If you bid, you will not be able to choose which mini-suite you get.  And a covered one will probably not be available to move to.

Also, If you booked last Fall, if you were to change now,  that would be a cancel and rebook.  You might have found that the price difference between the two categories, and any price increase, could cost quite a bit.   

That decision, of course, is up to you!

It is correct that the actual cabin space in a balcony and premium balcony on Ruby is the same.

The difference will almost surely be the larger (deeper) size of the actual exterior balcony.

If you see one of those available that you like, then that might be nice.  But, as mentioned, I think that until later in June, it could be quite chilly.  And yes, it does rain a lot.  There is like a marine rainforest climate along the coastline, which is of course where you will be cruising.

We cruised in May, and the only place we saw real sunshine was when we drove inland on the sightseeing drive over the mountains to Emerald Lake.   

• Like 1

Thanks! Yes, I originally booked during the black friday sale, so I'm sure the price would change a lot for a different cabin.

I just had a look at the upgrade process. How about a "Reserve Mini-Suite"? Does that guarantee a better location and/or covered balcony?

In cruising in cooler temperatures a sofa is a must for us since more people stay indoors and public venues can be really crowded.  We don't like mini-suites as we prefer a shower to a tub but, on our upcoming Caribbean Princess cruise, aside from suites that was the only option with a sofa.