New article slamming Icon of the Seas...and cruisers in general

19 minutes ago, Jetdriver787 said:

I enjoyed it and found it quite amusing.

I did too, I was laughing my head off at some of it. I think the whole thing was meant to be very tounge in cheek.

• Like 6

It is abviously written to get clicks and subscribers. Look at all the attention it is getting here. If he had written an another article exclaiming how great his cruise was and all of the things to do it would be unread amongs all the others. It is just for the clicks and subscribers. Stop giving this site the attention. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kernow said:

I did too, I was laughing my head off at some of it. I think the whole thing was meant to be very tounge in cheek.

It's like Hunter S Thompson writing a cruise review.

• Haha 1

On 4/4/2024 at 10:51 AM, HBE4 said:

From what I was allowed to read, it looks like satire. Sure to entertain most and maybe infuriate a few. I'll decide later if I want to sign-up for a free trial.  Maybe there will be a copy in the waiting room of my dentist or barbershop & I can read for free.

i read it. I get The Atlantic with my Apple News subscription. It was obviously satire. Many tells that it was satire. The graphic t shirt he wore then he switched to wearing a robe. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, d9704011 said:

I now know not to subscribe to The Atlantic.

The Atlantic is one of my favorite magazines. The article was satire by an author who is known for satire. It was pretty funny in my opinion. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

The Atlantic is one of my favorite magazines. The article was satire by an author who is known for satire. It was pretty funny in my opinion. 

Good for you.  The writing style did not appeal to me and I missed the satirical slant.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

i read it. I get The Atlantic with my Apple News subscription. It was obviously satire. Many tells that it was satire. The graphic t shirt he wore then he switched to wearing a robe. 

It was served up in my Apple News feed this morning too.  I did not recognize it as satire, it was just so ugly and negative.  I suppose the repeated references to David Foster Wallace should have tipped me off, but this author was no DFW.   

It was just so mean spirited, in so many ways.  

• Like 3

I subscribe to the Atlantic, so I was able to read the entire article.  The author spoke very highly of the crew and how hard they worked at their jobs.  He enjoyed meeting and interacting with a number of older cruisers (mostly couples), who gave him the 'lowdown', and middle aged ladies (the pool ladies), who shared their thoughts on life, cruising, love, marriage, divorce, death, etc.  His most unsettling interactions seem to include some adult males (30's - 40's), who could be both friendly or aggressive depending on how much alcohol they had, or if and when they viewed him as different (socially, politically, philosophically).  At the same time, the author could be invisible to these males as they passed in the corridors, or he could be sneered at, depending on their whim. The WAGs with these guys demonstrated similar traits, but much more subtle.  The author even reported a random guy in the elevator (kiddingly?) talking about getting rid of (by beating) the 'Washy-Washy' guy (crew member) - what normal adult would even say that aloud, or even think it?

One interesting line was when the author was walking in Charlotte Amelia.  He passed a Rastafarian who hissed "Redneck" at him.  The author was silently taken aback, as he sees himself very differently.  The Rastafarian made a judgment call about him - just on the basis of his perception of him.  It made me realize that the author did go into the writing assignment with an open mind, especially when it came to his fellow travelers.  Everyone is different, everyone has their own story.  It would be nice to maybe listen a bit more than talking - and maybe we could find some common ground.

The author began his article speaking about his 'booked at the last minute' $19K suite that the windows and balcony apparently looked out over the mall.  He was really disheartened by this so he avoided going out on to his balcony.  But, then, nearly at the end of his cruise: 

"A day or two before I got off the ship, I decided to make use of my balcony, which I had avoided because I thought the view would only depress me further. What I found shocked me. My suite did not look out on Central Park after all. This entire time, I had been living in the ship’s Disneyland, Surfside, the neighborhood full of screaming toddlers consuming milkshakes and candy. And as I leaned out over my balcony, I beheld a slight vista of the sea and surf that I thought I had been missing. It had been there all along. The sea was frothy and infinite and blue-green beneath the span of a seagull’s wing. And though it had been trod hard by the world’s largest cruise ship, it remained."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cruises in some reason always evoke some strong feelings in people. No one is discussing A/I, but constantly hear some weird stuff about cruises 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 11:48 PM, Twenty2020 said:

To be fair... The writer is known for being satirical. I thought it was kind of funny in a dark humor sort of way. Not surprised he wrote for Succession.  Some of you need a little more sense of humor. Like he insulted your child or something. 

Great show.  And excellent writing. Did he write Connor's Wedding?

Also, I don't think many on here watch Succession.

On 4/5/2024 at 6:48 AM, Twenty2020 said:

To be fair... The writer is known for being satirical. I thought it was kind of funny in a dark humor sort of way. Not surprised he wrote for Succession.  Some of you need a little more sense of humor. Like he insulted your child or something. 

On 4/7/2024 at 12:43 AM, jean87510 said:

Great show.  And excellent writing. Did he write Connor's Wedding?

Also, I don't think many on here watch Succession.

I love Succession. Didn't care for the ending at first but in retrospect, as absurd as it was, it really was the only way to end the series.  But otherwise, a very well-written and perfectly cast show. 

Now that I know the author of the article was a writing on that show, I'm definitely going to read the entire article. . I knew all along it was satire but now I know it'll be enjoyable satire.

On 4/5/2024 at 7:21 AM, A&L_Ont said:

He kind of did, cruising is something we all love to do. Having never read anything by him I took it as serious VS dark/humour, as there are people out there that do not like cruises. 

I’ve never stepped on Icon, and don’t like her design.  IMO she’s an ugly child.  That said, I like cruising so don’t she’s ugly “out loud”. It’s more like he insulted you mother in-law, you put up with her but you can’t say what you think out loud about her. 

It would have been better if they put him on the world cruise.  If he actually hated cruising that would be hilarious. 

I'll reserve final judgement until I read the whole article but I'm going into it with the expectation that it's like being in the front row of a Don Rickles show or the "honored" guest of a Dean Martin roast. You'll need to be able to laugh at the insults coming at you.  As long as it's not too mean-spirited, I don't mind being on the receiving end of a joke.

After reading the article, I still consider it to be satire or as someone else said, dark humor.  I found myself chuckling out loud a few times and he very creatively seemed to nail a few topics that are frequent CC subjects. I'm also pretty sure some the people he met might be fellow posters here. LOL.

Having said all that, some of his comments about his fellow passengers did have a very sharp edge to them. The author definitely knows his audience. I can see & understand how someone might be offended if they consider this article to be a serious cruise review.  I do not.

But on the whole, I considered a very enjoyably read. Special shout out to thank @NorthStarStateCruiser for the link so I didn't have to sign-up for the free trial

• Like 1

I consider everything published by the Atlantic to be satire at best.  Most of it is just fiction or liberal fever dreams.  It hasn't been a serious publication in years.

• Like 2

David Foster Wallace did a better job with this topic several years ago in Harper's magazine.  I read The Atlantic regularly - and I found this piece elitist and cheap.  Disappointed in the editors.  Making fun of lowbrow cruise passengers on an enormous ship is like shooting fish in a barrel.

On 4/4/2024 at 3:07 PM, smokeybandit said:

I mean it's the Atlantic. They can find a way to write a story to make even Mother Theresa look bad.

I absolutely hate the Atlantic. Bunch of scumbags.
Of course I say that with all due respect and Christian love.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, OldCaver said:

I absolutely hate the Atlantic. Bunch of scumbags.
Of course I say that with all due respect and Christian love.

The Atlantic has good and bad articles. It is a magazine. The article authors are contributors that come from all over the place. 

If a poster calls the Atlantic article "elitist and cheap," but goes on to describe (some) people highlighted in the article as "lowbrow cruise passengers on an enormous ship," - would that qualify as the kettle calling the pot black?

Asking for a friend.

I don't think I'm the "kettle" in this case.  I was trying to describe what appeared to be the attitude of the author.  I believe the editors knew what kind of article they were angling for when they made the assignment, and I think it was a cheap shot on their part.

• Like 2

I just asked Professor ChatGTP to write a review... Here's his review:

"Prepare to embark on the voyage of a lifetime aboard the magnificent Icon of the Seas! From the moment I stepped foot on this colossal vessel, I knew I was in for an unforgettable adventure through the sparkling Caribbean seas.

Let's start with the sheer grandeur of the ship itself. Icon of the Seas is a floating paradise, a marvel of modern engineering that promises endless excitement and luxury at every turn. With towering decks and sleek lines cutting through the azure waters, this ship is a sight to behold.

But it's not just about the size; it's what's inside that truly sets Icon of the Seas apart. And oh, let me tell you about the dining experiences! From the elegant main dining room to the vibrant specialty restaurants, every meal was a culinary masterpiece. Fresh seafood, succulent steaks, exotic flavors from around the world - the options were endless, and each bite was a revelation.

But wait, there's more! Icon of the Seas is a playground for the adventurous soul. Whether you're seeking thrills or relaxation, there's something for everyone on board. Take a plunge down the twisting waterslides, or soak up the sun on the expansive pool deck. Test your skills on the rock climbing wall, or unwind with a rejuvenating massage at the spa. The possibilities are as vast as the open sea.

And let's not forget about the bars! Icon of the Seas boasts a plethora of watering holes, each serving up expertly crafted cocktails and drinks that are as refreshing as they are delicious. Whether you're sipping a tropical concoction by the pool or enjoying a nightcap in the sophisticated lounge, you'll find no shortage of libations to tantalize your taste buds.

In conclusion, my journey aboard Icon of the Seas was nothing short of spectacular. From the exquisite dining experiences to the endless array of activities, every moment was filled with excitement and wonder. If you're looking for the ultimate Caribbean cruise experience, look no further than Icon of the Seas. It's a voyage you'll never forget! Cheers to smooth sailing and unforgettable memories!"

23 minutes ago, mramella said:

I just asked Professor ChatGTP to write a review... Here's his review:

"Prepare to embark on the voyage of a lifetime aboard the magnificent Icon of the Seas! From the moment I stepped foot on this colossal vessel, I knew I was in for an unforgettable adventure through the sparkling Caribbean seas.

Let's start with the sheer grandeur of the ship itself. Icon of the Seas is a floating paradise, a marvel of modern engineering that promises endless excitement and luxury at every turn. With towering decks and sleek lines cutting through the azure waters, this ship is a sight to behold.

But it's not just about the size; it's what's inside that truly sets Icon of the Seas apart. And oh, let me tell you about the dining experiences! From the elegant main dining room to the vibrant specialty restaurants, every meal was a culinary masterpiece. Fresh seafood, succulent steaks, exotic flavors from around the world - the options were endless, and each bite was a revelation.

But wait, there's more! Icon of the Seas is a playground for the adventurous soul. Whether you're seeking thrills or relaxation, there's something for everyone on board. Take a plunge down the twisting waterslides, or soak up the sun on the expansive pool deck. Test your skills on the rock climbing wall, or unwind with a rejuvenating massage at the spa. The possibilities are as vast as the open sea.

And let's not forget about the bars! Icon of the Seas boasts a plethora of watering holes, each serving up expertly crafted cocktails and drinks that are as refreshing as they are delicious. Whether you're sipping a tropical concoction by the pool or enjoying a nightcap in the sophisticated lounge, you'll find no shortage of libations to tantalize your taste buds.

In conclusion, my journey aboard Icon of the Seas was nothing short of spectacular. From the exquisite dining experiences to the endless array of activities, every moment was filled with excitement and wonder. If you're looking for the ultimate Caribbean cruise experience, look no further than Icon of the Seas. It's a voyage you'll never forget! Cheers to smooth sailing and unforgettable memories!"

Don’t know about a review? It reads like a brochure. 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Carolfay said:

I don't think I'm the "kettle" in this case.  I was trying to describe what appeared to be the attitude of the author.  I believe the editors knew what kind of article they were angling for when they made the assignment, and I think it was a cheap shot on their part.

That's how I read your post.

• Like 1