Any ship you've been particularly impressed with?

Posted (edited)
On 4/10/2024 at 11:59 AM, DarrenM said:

is it possible to be on a Disney ship without kids?

Yes, they will sell cabins to child free passengers. There actually are grown ups who are fans of all things Disney.  And there are adults only areas of the ship in the evening. But you have to accept the presence of other people's rug rats for most of the day. Schedule a dental check up on your return home- the overwhelming level of sugary sweetness in all the character and staff interactions is something else. 

We did one Disney cruise as a couple (after a WDW vacation). It was fine, but it was one and done for us.

Edited by mom says

• 2 weeks later...

Its hard to remember all the details for each cruise but I know I was impressed by Celebrity Summit and Disney Wonder.  For those asking about the Disney ships, the restaurants on the Wonder remain the best of any cruise I've been on....both entertainment wise and food wise.  The Ships are super $$$ so I tell anyone who asks that the Disney ships are a "must -do - ONCE".  I'll likely do it again for grandkids but I've saved a small fortune taking my own kids on all the other lines (Carnival, RCCL, and NCL) instead and reserve Celebrity for my adult-only trips.

• Like 2

On 4/25/2024 at 2:45 PM, capecruzer said:

I was impressed by Celebrity Summit and Disney Wonder

My first cruise was on the Disney Magic a bit more than 20 years ago.  I remember being really impressed.  Was it the ship or was it because it was my first cruise?  Probably a bit of both leaning more towards the fact that everything was new to me.

On 4/25/2024 at 2:45 PM, capecruzer said:

both entertainment wise and food wise

I can't remember the food all that well - other than my kids are Mickey Bars for desert every day - but I do remember the shows and think they remain the best I have seen on a cruise ship.

We like the 1000 or less people ships.

We are very impressed with Viking ships for a few reasons.

1) What we feel is understated decor that is luxury in design.

2) Always a space on the ship to settle in - never seem to fight for a place to be.

3) Exceptional crew, service, and food.

I don’t love crowds but after 10 nts on a 700 passenger ship I felt a bit confined and like there were a lack of ( new) dining options and things to do. And I am

one who can usually easily entertain myself with a book . 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Many of them but none of the ones from the lines that the OP has mentioned.  I like small ships.w less than 1000 passengers.   All of the ships from those lines ar overly large tubs or are floating amusement parks  in my opinion.

DON

Interesting that you and a handful of others need to continuously compare larger ships to Walmart and amusement parks.  Some do in fact have amusement park vibes, many do not.  None that I have experienced in somewhere around 50 cruises resemble a Walmart.  But then, I don't really know what meant by those of you who comment about floating Walmarts.   Bottom line, and a good dose of tit for tat, I suppose I might prefer the vibe on larger ships over a floating convalescent home.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

Interesting that you and a handful of others need to continuously compare larger ships to Walmart and amusement parks.  Some do in fact have amusement park vibes, many do not.  None that I have experienced in somewhere around 50 cruises resemble a Walmart.  But then, I don't really know what meant by those of you who comment about floating Walmarts.   Bottom line, and a good dose of tit for tat, I suppose I might prefer the vibe on larger ships over a floating convalescent home.   

Go to www.peopleofwalmart.com to get a better idea of the comparisons.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

A few fans of the large mass-market ships have protested the Walmart comparison.  It may not be complimentary , but comparing a usually crowded discount mass market cruise ship with a usually crowded  mass market retail operation is not altogether inappropriate.  Doing so does not mean one might not ever take advantage of the opportunities offered by the discount mass market provider — it is simply a matter of being aware of the differences between discount mass-market providers and more upscale providers (be they providers of shopping opportunities or cruise experiences);  that awareness, of course, requires having experienced both approaches.

Having sailed both types of ships, I have never seen a particular convalescent home vibe on a smaller vessel- and, in fact, seem to recall a higher proportion of infirm passengers on larger ships.

55 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

A few fans of the large mass-market ships have protested the Walmart comparison.  It may not be complimentary , but comparing a usually crowded discount mass market cruise ship with a usually crowded  mass market retail operation is not altogether inappropriate.  Doing so does not mean one might not ever take advantage of the opportunities offered by the discount mass market provider — it is simply a matter of being aware of the differences between discount mass-market providers and more upscale providers (be they providers of shopping opportunities or cruise experiences);  that awareness, of course, requires having experienced both approaches.

Having sailed both types of ships, I have never seen a particular convalescent home vibe on a smaller vessel- and, in fact, seem to recall a higher proportion of infirm passengers on larger ships.

I can assure you more than a "few fans of mass market lines"  find this comparison immature and inaccurate.   

At least be honest.  It is intentionally uncomplimentary. Just like my previous convalescent home reference -- very intentional.  Saying it is "not altogether inappropriate" is a silly attempt to sidestep the real message.  Stop pretending you are unaware of the stigma attached to Walmart and Walmart shoppers.  Your sidekick who posted the website sure doesn't pretend. 

Every time I read this nonsense, I'm more convinced than ever to stick with mass market lines and the terrific fellow passengers I'm surrounded by.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With the intent of bringing this back on track.... All Viking Ocean ships are identical with the exception that some now have Planetariums on the upper deck of the Explorer Lounge.

We love the vibe of Viking from the decor to the crew, service, and the food.

This is true of Jupiter, Star, and Orion which we have already sailed and we will be sailing on Sea, Venus and Neptune soon.

Edited by CDNPolar

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

I can assure you more than a "few fans of mass market lines"  find this comparison immature and inaccurate.   

At least be honest.  It is intentionally uncomplimentary. Just like my previous convalescent home reference -- very intentional.  Saying it is "not altogether inappropriate" is a silly attempt to sidestep the real message.  Stop pretending you are unaware of the stigma attached to Walmart and Walmart shoppers.  Your sidekick who posted the website sure doesn't pretend. 

Every time I read this nonsense, I'm more convinced than ever to stick with mass market lines and the terrific fellow passengers I'm surrounded by.   

I take it that you feel there is something inherently bad about large scale mass market operations. Frankly, I do not - I frequent both sorts of enterprises - in cruising and retail expeditions.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I take it that you feel there is something inherently bad about large scale mass market operations. Frankly, I do not - I frequent both sorts of enterprises - in cruising and retail expeditions.

There are definitely people including some who post on these boards who use the term Wa;mart in a pejorative sense.

Now if there are 3 stores in town that all sell avocados, actually the same brand and 2 of them charge over a dollar each while Walmart sells them for 74 cents each, I wonder what could possibly be wrong with buying them at Walmart that would merit that criticism.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I take it that you feel there is something inherently bad about large scale mass market operations. 

Now you are just making things up.   

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

There are definitely people including some who post on these boards who use the term Wa;mart in a pejorative sense.

Now if there are 3 stores in town that all sell avocados, actually the same brand and 2 of them charge over a dollar each while Walmart sells them for 74 cents each, I wonder what could possibly be wrong with buying them at Walmart that would merit that criticism.

Of course I would buy the avocados at Walmart - just as I sometimes sail Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess, Cunard and (not as frequently) Carnival.  I am aware that many of the goods carried by Walmart are identical (same brand and quality) as at higher priced stores, and I do make purchases there.  I do not buy clothing, shoes, or furniture at Walmart because I don’t appreciate the quality of those items .

I suggest you get over the knee-jerk reaction to “Walmart” as pejorative - I simply use it as an appropriate term for identifying a low-cost, mass market  provider.

8 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course I would buy the avocados at Walmart - just as I sometimes sail Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess, Cunard and (not as frequently) Carnival.  I am aware that many of the goods carried by Walmart are identical (same brand and quality) as at higher priced stores, and I do make purchases there.  I do not buy clothing, shoes, or furniture at Walmart because I don’t appreciate the quality of those items .

I suggest you get over the knee-jerk reaction to “Walmart” as pejorative - I simply use it as an appropriate term for identifying a low-cost, mass market  provider.

But there are others who definitely use it as pejorative term.