Any ship you've been particularly impressed with?

Have there been any particular ships that you've been really impressed with or blown away by? Especially in these lines-RCCL, HAL, Princess and Celebrity. TIA!

The line we remind with and enjoy is the Cunard Line.

Ā 

Our favorite ship which we like all that it offers to our liking is the Queen Mary 2.

Ā 

The newest ship but not yet experienced in the line will be the Queen Anne.

Ā 

All have their favorites and which holds there preferences.

• Like 3

I would like to go on Cunard sometime but they donā€™t go to the Caribbean , at least not early next year when we are planning.Ā 

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, sjde said:

I would like to go on Cunard sometime but they donā€™t go to the Caribbean , at least not early next year when we are planning.Ā 

Ā 

There is a March 2025 14 day 7 islands Caribbean sailing which we are going on.

Ā 

QM2 has not done that since 2013 during that time of year.

Ā 

Yes they do go for Nov and Dec to the Carib.Ā 

Ā 

Search Cunard 2025 QM2 for her schedule if you are FYI

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 1

Blown away?Ā  Easy answer for me.Ā  Royal Caribbean Oasis and Quantum Class ships have amazed me more than any other ships. They are simply spectacular, and I always debark feeling like I had an amazing experience.Ā  Ā 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sjde said:

Have there been any particular ships that you've been really impressed with

HAL fangirl here. I thought I'd settled on the Vista class (Zuiderdam) as my favorite, even over the Signature ships (Nieuw Amsterdam), but then we sailed on the Koningsdam and now the Pinnacle class is our fav. But I want to have a mid-ship cabin! Whereas on the Zuidy, we were very happy right up front by the Crows Nest.

Ā 

However, answering your later question, we are itinerary-driven and two of our next three bookings are on Vista class ships, only one on the K'dam.

7 hours ago, sjde said:

Have there been any particular ships that you've been really impressed with or blown away by? Especially in these lines-RCCL, HAL, Princess and Celebrity. TIA!

Ā 

So far, all the cruise ships I've been on (over 20 different at this point) have impressed me in their own ways.Ā  BTW, I'll be embarking on another new (for me) cruise ship tomorrow.Ā  I expect to be impressed.

Ā 

6 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Blown away?Ā  Easy answer for me.Ā  Royal Caribbean Oasis and Quantum Class ships have amazed me more than any other ships. They are simply spectacular, and I always debark feeling like I had an amazing experience.Ā  Ā 

Ā 

The Oasis-class ships are too big for my tastes, but I booked a 19-day transpacific voyage on Ovation OTS for later this year.Ā  I expect this ship to do its best to impress me.

I know many people don't seem to like the NCL Prima because it is different, but we really liked it.

Ā 

I was also impressed with the Ocean Princess (no longer in the Princess fleet) for how well you got to meet other passengers and even crew because of its small size.

Ā 

And our cruises on both were picked for the itinerary.

11 hours ago, sjde said:

Do you choose by ship more than itinerary?

Since many cruise-lines do similar worldwide itineraries, you may want to modify your question along the lines of ā€œonce you have certain ports in mind (particularly start and end since you may want to add land stays too), what factors determine your choice of ship?ā€

Ā 

For example: Lots of cruise-lines do the Med and start/stop at Civitavecchia (Rome) and/or Piraeus (Athens). But, antiquities remain the same regardless of who gets you there.Ā 
Ā 

IMO, Once you have what you want to see in focus, your attention should immediately turn to your ā€œhome away from homeā€ (particularly if youā€™re looking at a longer cruise of at least two weeks or more). The ship itself and its quality/value quotient then becomes the most important consideration. Note that Iā€™m not talking about cheapest cabin price (thatā€™s not the sole determinant of value). Rather I am talking about ā€œbang for your buckā€ since one cruise line that is all or mostly inclusive can be a better value (quality/price) than another cruise line that nickel-dimes you for every little thing (and then serves you mediocre food too).

Ā 

With all that in mind, weā€™ve found a preferred cruise-line with which we begin our search for a future cruise. So, in one sense, you could say that the ship is the most important consideration for us (that is, as long as that cruise-line goes where we want to be).

Loved many ships in my almost 50 years and 80 cruises. Last one was Celebrity Edge back when captain Kate was aboard. The fact we were in a penthouse helped (move up).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sjde said:

Of the lines mentioned: only HALā€™s Maasdam (before their cost cutting pushed her down to mass market category) - and, especially, Prinsendam ā€” now to get that ā€œblown awayā€ feeling, itā€™s Oceania, Asamara, or one of the truly premium lines.

Ā 

• Like 1

We're loyal RCI cruisers and so we love all their ships but we recently did our 2nd cruise with Celebrity (March 5th) on Summit and were blown away by all the new refurbishments they have done. Just a beautiful ship and the Ocean View Cafe...Oh My !!!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sjde said:

I believe Cunards Queen Elizabeth is to be home ported in Miami winter 24/25 to do Caribbean sailings this is due to the New Zealand banning of cruise ships where she would normally before winter.Ā 

I am shocked nobody has mentioned Costa yet. Come on you know you love them.Ā šŸ˜‰

For me Costa Toscana is one of the best ships i have been on, having said that Costa Firenze, is the worse.Ā 

42 minutes ago, gerryuk said:

I am shocked nobody has mentioned Costa yet. Come on you know you love them.Ā šŸ˜‰

For me Costa Toscana is one of the best ships i have been on, having said that Costa Firenze, is the worse.Ā 

FYI, the Costa Firenze is now the CARNIVAL Firenze, thanks to Costa's generosity. šŸ˜

Only been on 4 ships.

Ā 

1. Celebrity Reflection

2. Celebrity Beyond

3. Celebrity Edge

4. Disney Magic (I think) but it could have been the other one 2002.

Ā 

The Celebrity ships were vastly superior to the Disney one in my humble opinion. But there again, why would an adult want to go on A Disney ship without their own little creatures. My kids liked it at the time. but they were only 9 and 5 years old.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Tough question. Hard to narrow it down but here are some "stand outs" from the ships I've sailed on.Ā 

Ā 

• Nieuw Statendam was wonderful. It provides the perfect blend of modern and traditional cruising. Many nods to Holland America's long maritime history.Ā The ship is an ideal size. Not too big, not too small.Ā If I could design my own cruise ship, this is what it would look like.Ā 
  • Harmony of the Seas / Allure of the Seas. There's no denying that Oasis class ships have a "wow" factor that is hard to beat. In my opinion, this class of shipĀ needs to be experienced at least once. The options for activities, dining, and entertainment are mind boggling. BUT this is not a class of ship for everyone. It can be very overwhelming. Trying to do everything that these ships have to offer will be exhausting.
  • Disney Fantasy. Let me start by saying that I'm not a Disney fan. But, like with Royal's Oasis class ships, I think that Disney should be experienced at least once, even without kids. Beautiful ship, imaginative, great attention to detail, top notch customer service, and great entertainment. Only downside is that they charge luxury cruise line prices for a family-oriented mass market experience.Ā 
Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

In 1991 I was in Puerto Rico on one of, at the time, frequent business trips there and was fortunate enough to have my wife with me on that particular trip.Ā  We were in Old San Juan for dinner and afterwards strolled by the OSJ piers where RCCL Sovereign of the Seas was docked.Ā  We were completely blown away with (at the time) her size, design, and elegance that we looked at each other and both said at the same time, one day we will be on her ourselves.Ā  Ā 

Ā 

A year later in late August of 1992 I surprised her with what was then our tenth anniversary with a 7-day eastern Caribbean cruise.Ā  This was to be our first of 50+ over then next 32 years.Ā  As impressed as we have been with numerous newly launched RCCL and Celebrity ships over the years since, Sovereign, as the ship that launched our cruising world, by far remains the most impressive to us.Ā 

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 10:06 PM, sjde said:

I have been on many ships. I remember over 20 years ago I stepped on Celebrity CENTURY. She was pretty small (compared to the floating cities on the market now) but I LOVED that ship. She was classy and a classic..........

• Like 1