Two people walk into a Princess bar....

davy jones

one way to possibly alleviate the issue of having your wife / hubby / partners drinks being added to your medallion account, is to take it in turns to order drinks.

1 person orders 2 drinks for themselves and their partner, then next time the partner orders the drinks?

When I saw the title..  Two people walk into a bar...  I was thinking that this was a set-up for one of those corny jokes!!!

The thin with All 'all drinks on one medallion/account'  is solved, without having to have the staff apply to two accounts every time, by just alternate accounts. I think that would work for many couples, friends.   I know that I we are together most of the time.  

Of course, we would never be maxed out, even when using only one medallion!!!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

one way to possibly alleviate the issue of having your wife / hubby / partners drinks being added to your medallion account, is to take it in turns to order drinks.

1 person orders 2 drinks for themselves and their partner, then next time the partner orders the drinks?

Yeah but we are not always together especially late night. And we move from bar to bar.  Bartenders have a bad habit of charging everything to the man in our case. Even in specialty dining the bill both of the cover charges to me

5 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

When I saw the title..  Two people walk into a bar...  I was thinking that this was a set-up for one of those corny jokes!!!

The thin with All 'all drinks on one medallion/account'  is solved, without having to have the staff apply to two accounts every time, by just alternate accounts. I think that would work for many couples, friends.   I know that I we are together most of the time.  

Of course, we would never be maxed out, even when using only one medallion!!!

We often look up and find that I am close to max and wife shows 4 drinks. That why check all the time 

31 minutes ago, jeromep said:

Indeed.  And they had to rummage through a bunch of paper to determine that they were wrong.  Very inefficient.

Any airtight payments system operates on the concept of something you have and something you know that would then authorize the transaction.  If a transaction at a bar or restaurant on board required you to scan your Medallion (something you have), and enter a pre-established PIN (something you know), that would eliminate just about every unauthorized charge.

This is the exact same process as what is used for non-VISA/MC debit card and ATM transactions.  You have to insert or swipe your debit card, and then enter your PIN before the transaction occurs or before you can access the ATM.  This is widely recognized as one of the most secure transaction authorization practices ever conceived.  It is really too bad that the Medallion was not developed with this same attention to securing transactions.

If they were to do so and would require a pin the number of discharges would go down but the system would be more time consuming with each order requiring a device to be handed to each individual for them to confirm and enter a pin. Would reduce errors at the expense of time per transaction.

11 hours ago, davy jones said:

They stand next to each order and each orders a drink.  If you don't hand over the medallion, how are you sure at the time that the correct medallion is charged?

Based on the title I eagerly opened this thread expecting a funny joke.😂

10 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Has anyone ever posted a thread with this kind of question before the medallion took over or on the board of another cruise line? The wonderful medallion technology strikes again. 🤦‍♂️

And yet, I would not want to go back to the cruise card.  Even with the glitches, I like the medallion.  I guess the cruise cards are still an option for those who really want them.  

Several posters noted to check the folio daily.  I've not sailed on Princess yet - on Discovery April 20.

Where do I find my folio?  I have the app, but don't see it anywhere.  Is it something that appears once we board?

9 hours ago, greenbeanie said:

Several posters noted to check the folio daily.  I've not sailed on Princess yet - on Discovery April 20.

Where do I find my folio?  I have the app, but don't see it anywhere.  Is it something that appears once we board?

Yes. It will appear once onboard.

Several things are like that, so don't panic if you don't see them ahead of time....

11 hours ago, ldubs said:

And yet, I would not want to go back to the cruise card.  Even with the glitches, I like the medallion.  I guess the cruise cards are still an option for those who really want them.  

Just off the Enchanted. First time using the medallion. I had reservations about it pre cruise. Once onboard we both really liked them. I carried mine in my pocket and my wife carried hers in her purse. The only glitch (first day) was my wifes wouldn't recognize her walking up to the room. She had to place the medallion on the pad to open the cabin door. Went down to GS and they reprogrammed it. Still didn't work. Went right back to GS, they made her a new medallion and it worked flawlessly for the rest of the cruise. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, doghog said:

Just off the Enchanted. First time using the medallion. I had reservations about it pre cruise. Once onboard we both really liked them. I carried mine in my pocket and my wife carried hers in her purse. The only glitch (first day) was my wifes wouldn't recognize her walking up to the room. She had to place the medallion on the pad to open the cabin door. Went down to GS and they reprogrammed it. Still didn't work. Went right back to GS, they made her a new medallion and it worked flawlessly for the rest of the cruise. 

Maybe a half dead battery?

6 minutes ago, doghog said:

Nope. The GS person replaced the battery when they reprogrammed it. 

I didn’t realize it was replaceable. I thought they gave you a new one if the battery died. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

I didn’t realize it was replaceable. I thought they gave you a new one if the battery died. 

Unless I miss understood what the GS person was saying. I heard battery and reprogramming the first time. I was surprised that my wifes replacement medallion had all the info printed on it like the orginal when did and how quick they made the replacement one.  

Edited by doghog
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, greenbeanie said:

You have to be on board first. Once you open medallion net you will see everything 

Posted (edited)

Touch ID or Face ID to verify every purchase.

Mandatory.

Face ID probably easier as they have them on the system.

All serving staff have body cameras to verify.

Just a thought.

My first princess coming up soon in 37 days from Southampton  -  I am from London UK- looking forward to using the gadgets and wizardry.

I hate it when I get incorrect charges.

Edited by paulatsea

On 4/10/2024 at 12:09 PM, TRLD said:

More of a training issue than system issue.

People are part of the system though. If the system leads to too many mistakes by humans, changes should be made.

4 hours ago, paulatsea said:

Touch ID or Face ID to verify every purchase.

Mandatory.

Face ID probably easier as they have them on the system.

All serving staff have body cameras to verify.

But why? 

When it comes to things like this, Princess is going to look at ROI. It costs them almost nothing when two people with a package get the wrong drink associated with them. Hardly anyone complains. If someone without a package gets put on the package instead of paying, that does cost them. But how much?

I assume that this situation is not causing Princess enough $$ and/or aggravation to have them change anything. A handful of people coming to GS to complain each cruise (or even each day) is probably not enough to get them to implement a more elaborate and costly (body cameras for every staff member? big cost) system. They also have to factor in the complaints when it takes longer to order drinks.

19 hours ago, doghog said:

Based on the title I eagerly opened this thread expecting a funny joke.😂

I'm finding the thread amusing. 😉

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

People are part of the system though. If the system leads to too many mistakes by humans, changes should be made.

But why? 

When it comes to things like this, Princess is going to look at ROI. It costs them almost nothing when two people with a package get the wrong drink associated with them. Hardly anyone complains. If someone without a package gets put on the package instead of paying, that does cost them. But how much?

I assume that this situation is not causing Princess enough $$ and/or aggravation to have them change anything. A handful of people coming to GS to complain each cruise (or even each day) is probably not enough to get them to implement a more elaborate and costly (body cameras for every staff member? big cost) system. They also have to factor in the complaints when it takes longer to order drinks.

it’s not right to have any incorrect charges - being charged for someone else’s purchases is unacceptable in my opinion even if it’s a small amount - and it could be fraudulent as well as a genuine mistake.

It’s sloppy.
With a medallion system there doesn’t need to be any errors at all if they are always tapped or swiped for every transaction - this takes very little time.

I lose faith in organisations that charge incorrectly - it gives me the impression that other things are not done correctly and accurately.

the Face ID was just an idea - I expect everything will be biometric eventually.

interesting thread - must admit I was surprised and disappointed to read here how common these charging mistakes seem to be.

Edited by paulatsea
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MacMadame said:

But why? 

The changes are improved training. One can build the nearly perfect system, but such a system would most likely have higher cost and take more time per transaction. Then everyone would be complaining about how slow the service is.

Systems are usually a trade off between cost, speed and accuracy. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

it’s not right to have any incorrect charges - being charged for someone else’s purchases is unacceptable in my opinion even if it’s a small amount - and it could be fraudulent as well as a genuine mistake.

It’s sloppy.
With a medallion system there doesn’t need to be any errors at all if they are always tapped or swiped for every transaction - this takes very little time.

I lose faith in organisations that charge incorrectly - it gives me the impression that other things are not done correctly and accurately.

the Face ID was just an idea - I expect everything will be biometric eventually.

interesting thread - must admit I was surprised and disappointed to read here how common these charging mistakes seem to be.

4000 people on board ship. Probably average 5 or more transactions per day. yielding atleast 20000 transactions per day, a 99% accurate system would  generate 200 errors. On board the accuracy is probably better than that but it shows that with large numbers even an accurate system can have a few error sneak through, usually human error like a mistyped room number or a failure to follow process.

2 hours ago, paulatsea said:

It’s sloppy.

They are never always tapped and nothing to swipe. 

On 4/10/2024 at 4:22 PM, memoak said:

Yeah but we are not always together especially late night. And we move from bar to bar.  Bartenders have a bad habit of charging everything to the man in our case. Even in specialty dining the bill both of the cover charges to me

Well, if you take turns ordering drinks until you separate, at which time the drinks go on the correct account, you’re not going to be more than one drink off at the end of the night.

Since the implementation of the medallion, I’ve probably been on twenty cruises. Every single cruise had at least one erroneous charge and most had multiple. I check my bill daily. I only complain if my account gets charged a dollar amount. I have no idea show many free drinks others may have charged to my room. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

Well, if you take turns ordering drinks until you separate, at which time the drinks go on the correct account, you’re not going to be more than one drink off at the end of the night.

Have seen cases  where the bartender will charge to anyone in the room number given. Again failure to follow process.

• Like 1