No JOY for passenger who had cannabis in their cabin that was sniffed out by drug dog

Posted (edited)

We have posted in the past that Bermuda authorities have drug dogs sniff cruise ships docked in Bermuda. Some have doubted this and some believe a drug dog can’t sniff a small amount of cannabis. A Joy passenger with a small amount in his cabin was detected by a sniffer dog and fined this week. 

https://www.royalgazette.com/court/news/article/20240419/cruise-passenger-fined-for-cannabis-in-cabin/

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Charles4515 changed the title to No JOY for passenger who had cannabis in their cabin that was sniffed out by drug dog

I've watched enough LivePD (now On Patrol Live) where dogs can alert to even the slightest amount of drugs of all kinds. They say a dog's nose is WAY more sensitive...and it's definitely true.

In my opinion, the risks are simply to great to consider this. Have I thought about it, or gummy's, yes.  These folks got off easy with a fine. Lots of question on this and other social media sites on this subject.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, shof515 said:

how do they sniff the cabin? does security need to enter your room?

The article says the dog “showed interest in the cabin,” and then, inside, they found the stash. 

10 minutes ago, shof515 said:

how do they sniff the cabin? does security need to enter your room?

A drug-sniffing dog can probably detect it by just walking in the hallway. They would then go sit in front of the door where the odor was coming from.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

We have posted in the past that Bermuda authorities have drug dogs sniff cruise ships docked in Bermuda. Some have doubted this and some believe a drug dog can’t sniff a small amount of cannabis. A Joy passenger with a small amount in his cabin was detected by a sniffer dog and fined this week. 

https://www.royalgazette.com/court/news/article/20240419/cruise-passenger-fined-for-cannabis-in-cabin/

I always laugh my butt of reading stories about stupid people doing stupid things.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

I have no dog in the hunt regarding the whole cannabis thing. Personally, I don't care what you smoke, nor the reasons you smoke it, as long as you don't smoke it around me.

You're medical condition that prompts you to have it with you, is not the point.

I don't know how much clearer the non-U.S. ports, the cruise lines, the Caribbean Countries, etc have to make it.  They don't allow cannabis usage...regardless of its legality anywhere else .  

While I wish the Federal Gov't would get off their posteriors and legalize it like some States have, it's still a (unenforced) law that you can't possess and/or use it.

It's not like you can't smell it.  I'm more of the mind this guy was smoking it on his balcony, someone smelled it and reported it.  I can't seen a Bermudian drug sniffing dog pinpointing a single cabin (out of thousands) it was able to identify.

What is even more of a head scratcher to people smoking cannabis on board or in a port, edibles are readily obtainable.  If you insist, why bring the most easily recognizable scent of burning weed when you can have the edible variety that doesn't cause a smell?

• Like 7

1 minute ago, graphicguy said:

I have no dog in the hunt regarding the whole cannabis thing. Personally, I don't care what you smoke, nor the reasons you smoke it, as long as you don't smoke it around me.

You're medical condition that prompts you to have it with you, is not the point.

I don't know how much clearer the non-U.S. ports, the cruise lines, the Caribbean Countries, etc have to make it.  They don't allow cannabis usage...regardless of its legality anywhere else .  

While I wish the Federal Gov't would get off their posteriors and legalize it like some States have, it's still a (unenforced) law that you can't possess and/or use it.

It's not like you can't smell it.  I'm more of the mind this guy was smoking it on his balcony, someone smelled it and reported it.  I can't seen a Bermudian drug sniffing dog pinpointing a single cabin (out of thousands) it was able to identify.

What is even more of a head scratcher to people smoking cannabis on board or in a port, edibles are readily obtainable.  If you insist, why bring the most easily recognizable scent of burning weed when you can have the edible variety that doesn't cause a smell?

Yup, bring edibles 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I used to agree with that sentiment. Not anymore, once I've seen what's happened in my city and others that have legalized it. Ban it, period.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Since the presence of drugs puts the cruise line at risk, NCL should have packed all of their belongings, and thrown them off the ship. Lifetime no-sail ban. 

How does it put the cruise line at risk?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I find that a lot of rule breaking news articles tend to devolve into "Well that shouldn't be a rule anyway!"  "I need it for my anxiety!"  "It's legal where I came from!" "No one can tell me what to do!"  "Cancer patients need it!"  What have you.

At the end of the day, you agreed to allow a company to house you, feed you, and cart you from one end of the globe to the other.  In doing so, you agreed that you would leave your stanky danky at home.  SO JUST DO THAT.  Follow the rules you agreed to.  

The moral, ethical, legal, philisophical angle doesn't matter.  You said you wouldn't do it, so don't.  If NCL says you can't wear yellow socks, don't.  Who cares what your opinion is...you chose to cruise.  

Edited by LongIsland-Cruiser
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 6

2 minutes ago, LongIsland-Cruiser said:

I find that a lot of rule breaking news articles tend to devolve into "Well that shouldn't be a rule anyway!"  "I need it for my anxiety!"  "It's legal where I came from!" "No one can tell me what to do!"  "Cancer patients need it!"  What have you.

At the end of the day, you agreed to allow a company to house you, feed you, and cart you from one end of the globe to the other.  In doing so, you agreed that you would leave your stanky danky at home.  SO JUST DO THAT.  Follow the rules you agreed to.  

The moral, ethical, legal, philisophical angle doesn't matter.  You said you wouldn't do it, so don't.  If NCL says you can't wear yellow socks, don't.  Who cares what your opinion is...you chose to cruise.  

Well said, especially the first paragraph. A classic logical fallacy of the Appeal to Emotion (think of the children, etc.) Doesn't wash with me.

• Like 2

Just now, Charles4515 said:

Bermuda has fined passengers caught bringing edibles.

Right?  Edibles are still weed.  They are still illegal.  Thank you for chewing your weed instead of smoking it, my nose and lungs thank you.  But still illegal.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, LongIsland-Cruiser said:

Manhattan absolutely STINKS now with all the weed smoke.  It's like getting punched in the face.  And it's not like Manhattan was an aromatic flower to begin with.  

In the Olden days you would walk around and there was cigarette smoke everywhere, and eventually (while cigarettes remain legal) we have limited where/how people can smoke to the point that most of us can mercifully avoid it.  I can't wait till we get there with weed.  The newness of the legality has caused people to blaze up every chance they get.  So annoying.  These people are going to ruin it for themselves and others when they make smoking on the street illegal.

When we were there in 2022 post-cruise, my wife couldn't stop mentioning the foul stench of weed. And my wife is extremely open-minded about people's choices in life. It is unconscionable that you can't walk down the street in the most populous city in America without being assaulted by the vile stench of marijuana. It also amazes me that the same people who want to ban/have banned cigarette smoking outside are apparently OK if it's cannabis. I hope they ban all of it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It really is not about how we think/feel about the subject. It is about the laws pertaining to each country we travel into, and each cruise line's rules (that we sign off on). If you are willing to break those laws/rules then you must be willing to pay the consequences. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

Tell that to the cancer patient going thru chemo and that is the only relief they get from the constant nausea.... I've been there and seen it first hand. Sometimes its not always about you

Nothing in the linked article says the guy was a cancer patient using it for medicinal purposes.  Not that it would excuse breaking the host country's laws or NCL's rules.  Maybe he just had it for funsies.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LongIsland-Cruiser said:

If NCL says you can't wear yellow socks, don't.  Who cares what your opinion is...you chose to cruise.  

Exactly.

I can wear my camouflage shirt anywhere in this country. Antigua, Barbados and Grenada all say that wearing camouflage in their country is illegal. If you choose to wear it there, then deal with the consequences. Maybe weed is legal in those places...don't know, don't care. But just because weed is legal in some places and in some instances, it doesn't mean it's legal in all places and all instances. A cruise ship is one of those places.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

I must be too insulated living in Ohio.  The smell and prevalence of weed smoking isn’t what I read as described here.  

I would think it would be easy to find the offenders on a cruise ship.  From what I can tell, the smell stays on the person long after the person has finished smoking it!

My big fear would be being arrested in a foreign country where the drug laws consider cannabis the same as any other illegal drug and the penalties much harsher than just monetary fines.

Why risk that for a “high”?

I’ll assume when I hear people

talk about cannabis gummies, they are exactly that….gummies!  No smell, I’ll also assume!

Edited by graphicguy