Binoculars

I know you all are much more experienced than I am about binoculars. We have a pair that I always take on cruises but they’re not the greatest.

We have a few memorable cruises coming up and I want to be able to see nature up close and in focus.

So what suggestions do you all have, and what about the single one called monocular? Are they just as good or better?

Thanks!

I got these from Amazon:   Celestron – Nature DX 8x42 Binoculars – Outdoor and Birding Binocular – Fully Multi-Coated with BaK-4 Prisms – Rubber Armored – Fog & Waterproof Binoculars

• Like 2

Another tip on binoculars, specifically for the warm weather routes. Leave the binoculars on the balcony (if you have one) or get them outside to adjust to temp/humidity for a while before using them. Otherwise they fog up really fast even if you wipe them off.

• Like 1

I've been happy with Nikon or Vortex binoculars. They have different models at different prices but even their lower cost binoculars are good quality (sealed and water resistant). Check Amazon. Expect to pay between $100-$200 for a decent pair (at the lower end range of cost).

• Like 1

Just an FYI if you happen to be in a suite RCI will provide you with a pair to use onboard. Their actually very good ones....Just ask your cabin steward for them.

Just my thoughts... I've purchased 3 pairs of binoculars for different reasons...

Binoculars types will have two numbers with an X in between.. eg 8X42 or 10X50 or 20x80

The first number is the magnification - the higher the number the great the magnification. So, a higher number will make the object look closer.  The second number is the size of the lens in mm.  This is important if you want to look at daytime vs evening or night time objects.  The higher the second number, the more light it lets in - giving you a better image in low light. 

My most used binoculars are 10X50 - these are the ones I bring on my cruises. I get a decent image at night (it's cool to see other cruise ships at sea).   A word of caution.. the larger the magnification, the harder it is to hold the image still.  I have to use a tripod for my 20x80 - they are huge, and heavy, and the image will shake due to the high magnification. I use my 20x80 for star gazing. 

My advise is get a decent 10x50 set - not too heavy, but a decent image even at night. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Another tip on binoculars, specifically for the warm weather routes. Leave the binoculars on the balcony (if you have one) or get them outside to adjust to temp/humidity for a while before using them. Otherwise they fog up really fast even if you wipe them off.

I found that out too, so I always leave them out on the table

Posted (edited)

When at sea,, the supplied bridge binoculars were like looking through a beer glass😄

Most watchkeeping officers bought there own and set them up accordingly. There was an unwritten rule that no one would use them.

I bought a pair of Nikon 7x50 which was the best for what we needed them for. That was longer ago than I care to remember but they are still going strong. Quality binoculars.

I also have a small pair of 10 x 40 but they are not in the same league.

My sextant used a Tamaya 7 x 50 monocular which was excellent for working with stars, but not much use for general purpose use.

Edited by MBP&O2/O

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

Just an FYI if you happen to be in a suite RCI will provide you with a pair to use onboard. Their actually very good ones....Just ask your cabin steward for them.

Wow, we’ve stayed in suites by t didn’t know that, I’ll remember for next time.

My suggestion is to go to a place that sells binoculars, such as an army/navy store, or one that caters to hunters.  Try them out.  Find what is comfortable for you to hold,  or too heavy.   My first pair, purchased in Hong Kong in 1988 was Bausch & Lomb 7x35, for a bird watching trip.  The second I purchased much more recently in the PX, Nikon Aculon 8x42.5.  They.  Both accomplished what I needed and are not too heavy.  Try, and decide what will suffice, then look for it on Amazon for price.  EM

For cruising and travel go small but don't go cheap. The big Steiners shown above are great until you want to take them on a shore excursion. Try a few in the store. I prefer 7x-8x because 10 and above tends to amplify any unsteadiness you have in your hands.  

My binoculars for travel are a now-discontinued pair of Bausch and Lomb (now Bushnell) Elite 7X36. Were I to need to replace them I'd be looking at Zeiss, Leica or Swarovski in the $1,000-$2,000 range. Expensive but good optics are worth it. 

I just bought these from Amazon:

61eOKhEV0AL._AC_SX679_.jpg

• Professional High Powered Binoculars: 20x magnification and 50mm objective lens ensure wide-angle viewing from distances of over 1000 yards. These lightweight binoculars are perfect for bird watching, hunting, travel, stargazing, concerts, football games, climbing, hiking, driving, observing wildlife, and taking in scenery.
  • HD Vision with Quality Optics - These 20x50 binoculars for adults high powered are specially designed with BAK-4 Prisms and FMC film lenses, which minimize the loss of light due to reflection and ensure brighter and clearer high-contrast images.
  • Clear Low Light Night Vision: 50mm lenses are larger than usual, which provides them with more light-gathering power. Therefore, they are more effective in low-light conditions, delivering clear vision. However, they cannot provide clear vision in complete darkness.

I have been using them star gazing at night and bird watching and so far am impressed.  They were a decent price too at $69

On 4/22/2024 at 3:32 PM, Toddcan said:

.  I have to use a tripod for my 20x80 - they are huge, and heavy, and the image will shake due to the high magnification. I use my 20x80 for star gazing.

I pack a mono-pod. Not as stable as a tripod (you have to hold on to it) but good enough (the ship is moving anyway) plus a gizmo that allows the binos to be mounted to it (essentially a right angle bracket with threads). The mono-pod is also good for taking jog-free camera photos, of course, particularly when the light is poor and the exposure relatively long.The big advantage over a tripod is size and weight - both for packing and for toting. And less expensive than a tripod. The other advantage is that it is easy to tilt to any angle you want. It telescopes in and out, rather like a radio antenna;  I can extend mine far enough that I can rest it on the floor and have the binos or camera at eye level while standing up. Handy.

• Thanks 1

On 4/22/2024 at 5:46 PM, Essiesmom said:

My suggestion is to go to a place that sells binoculars, such as an army/navy store, or one that caters to hunters.  Try them out.  Find what is comfortable for you to hold,  or too heavy.   My first pair, purchased in Hong Kong in 1988 was Bausch & Lomb 7x35, for a bird watching trip.  The second I purchased much more recently in the PX, Nikon Aculon 8x42.5.  They.  Both accomplished what I needed and are not too heavy.  Try, and decide what will suffice, then look for it on Amazon for price.  EM

Agreed, Em. Try them out. If they are not built exactly right or have been jolted, the image may be either blurry and/or doubled

; not good. Ensure the focusing works properly by focusing on something very far away (over 100 yards/metres) and something close by (say about 10 yards/metres). Generally, you get what you pay for. Since they will last a lifetime with proper care (always use the neck strap and keep a lens cloth in the case) think of it as an investment rather than an expense. They are priceless for getting that bear/crocodile/whale/bird/ so much closer to observe and enjoy.

On 4/22/2024 at 4:56 PM, BeasleysMom66 said:

I just bought these from Amazon:

61eOKhEV0AL._AC_SX679_.jpg

• Professional High Powered Binoculars: 20x magnification and 50mm objective lens ensure wide-angle viewing from distances of over 1000 yards. These lightweight binoculars are perfect for bird watching, hunting, travel, stargazing, concerts, football games, climbing, hiking, driving, observing wildlife, and taking in scenery.
  • HD Vision with Quality Optics - These 20x50 binoculars for adults high powered are specially designed with BAK-4 Prisms and FMC film lenses, which minimize the loss of light due to reflection and ensure brighter and clearer high-contrast images.
  • Clear Low Light Night Vision: 50mm lenses are larger than usual, which provides them with more light-gathering power. Therefore, they are more effective in low-light conditions, delivering clear vision. However, they cannot provide clear vision in complete darkness.

I have been using them star gazing at night and bird watching and so far am impressed.  They were a decent price too at $69

Can you provide a link for these?

1 minute ago, Ashland said:

While I'm glad these binoculars are working out for someone, I honestly do not recommend buying no name, or off name binoculars. I've tried it to save money and it does not work out very well. The name brands are a better product, more reliable, with a warranty. No names will have problem with the focus, alignment, and lower quality lenses. As well as moisture and dirt intrusion.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Ashland said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CWRY7LYK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

7 minutes ago, cruisinfly said:

I honestly do not recommend buying no name, or off name binoculars. I've tried it to save money and it does not work out very well.

Depends heavily on WHY someone is buying binoculars.  If you are going to use binoculars ALL the time or even regularly then sure.  I bought these specifically for this cruise and the occasional star gazing.  I have been using them during the recent meteor shower and pink moon with no issues.  After that I might on the rare occasion use them for some bird watching but other than that they will go in the closet so spending big money on a brand name isn't necessary for me.  I simply want better binoculars than will be in the closet of my cabin and these were worth it.

Edited by BeasleysMom66
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisinfly said:

While I'm glad these binoculars are working out for someone, I honestly do not recommend buying no name, or off name binoculars. I've tried it to save money and it does not work out very well. The name brands are a better product, more reliable, with a warranty. No names will have problem with the focus, alignment, and lower quality lenses. As well as moisture and dirt intrusion.

I'm not buying them for professional use. Just something for my 11 year old grandson for occasional use to watch deer and birds etc in his forested back yard acreage.

2 hours ago, BeasleysMom66 said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CWRY7LYK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Depends heavily on WHY someone is buying binoculars.  If you are going to use binoculars ALL the time or even regularly then sure.  I bought these specifically for this cruise and the occasional star gazing.  I have been using them during the recent meteor shower and pink moon with no issues.  After that I might on the rare occasion use them for some bird watching but other than that they will go in the closet so spending big money on a brand name isn't necessary for me.  I simply want better binoculars than will be in the closet of my cabin and these were worth it.

Thank you so much. I just ordered these for my 11 year old grandson. Amazon had a $30.00 off coupon so with tax they came to $42.79...great price. So again thank you.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I'm not buying them for professional use. Just something for my 11 year old grandson for occasional use to watch deer and birds etc in his forested back yard acreage.

No problem, just a recommendation, use it as you will😉.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

Thank you so much. I just ordered these for my 11 year old grandson. Amazon had a $30.00 off coupon so with tax they came to $42.79...great price. So again thank you.

Glad I could help.  The night vision on these works really well too.  I used them last night to look at the "pink" moon.  The clarity is amazing.  They were great for the meteor shower too.  

• Like 1