Do you see improved fish dishes?

As we have several HAL journeys lined up I was wondering if there is any improvement of seafood and fish availability since Mr. Marimoto was introduced to HAL brand? Do you see the difference?

• Like 1

Yes - didn’t do Morimoto but the fish offered is better IMO and cooked well.

Have been on Rotterdam and that ship could cook fish (transatlantic sailing) and several other fish aficionados agree with me.

Sailing on the Volendam and the fish has been with more choices and well prepared.  In fact, I just had rockfish tonight which I very much enjoyed.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

Yes - didn’t do Morimoto but the fish offered is better IMO and cooked well.

Have been on Rotterdam and that ship could cook fish (transatlantic sailing) and several other fish aficionados agree with me.

Sailing on the Volendam and the fish has been with more choices and well prepared.  In fact, I just had rockfish tonight which I very much enjoyed.

Great! Thank you. Is Rudy's gone now as I do not see it on their website

2 hours ago, tunafish said:

Great! Thank you. Is Rudy's gone now as I do not see it on their website

Rudy's is only on the three Pinnacle class ships.  Konningsdam, Nieuw Statendam and Rotterdam.

~Nancy

• Like 1

We’ve been on Westerdam about three weeks.  Yes — definitely more variety in fish choices and preparation has been quite good.  I tend to order fish a lot, and with the exception of one disappointing halibut meal, all fish selections have been very appealing.  
We’ve actually been overthinking it — looking up the menu fish on Google to determine what is being offered.  That’s been a waste of time.  It’s impossible to get things sorted out.  So many different names for the same fish.  So just trusting and ordering, we’ve enjoyed our fish dinners.  👍🏻

• Like 2

We've been on a quest trying different cruise lines in the last couple of years. So far between HAL, Princess, NCL and Celebrity - HAL has come out on top (by a good margin) for fish based meals (we don't eat meat).

• Like 2

It is much improved.  The now have port to table on some sailings where chef will shop with local fishermen and serve those fish soon after.  The salmon dishes have become quite creative and delicious 

• Like 4

My diet consists mostly of fish and when we sailed for a few weeks last winter, I found the fish to be very good. And I am picky about the freshness quality of fish.  Personally, I find if I freeze fish for a week or two, it has very little effect on the overall taste. 

• Like 2

I never believed HALs comments about “fresh” fish until I saw it being purchased in the port of Montevideo.IMG_9063.thumb.jpeg.136c022d1f052eca9bdaeefa7f3efb5d.jpeg

I always order seafood or vegetarian entrees.  I do not like overcooked fish.  Three years ago, I talked to a chef onboard and he suggested I  tell my server I would like my fish “medium”. This causes the kitchen to cook my fish especially for me.  It has worked out perfectly.  I have enjoyed many varieties of fish on HAL with unique preparations.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

Just off 25 days on the Oosterdam and ate a lot of delicious fish....

One of the coffee chats was with the Food & Beverage Manager and he said that they are all about buying local fish....and he told us to look for the word FRESH in front of FISH on the MDR dinner menu...and also look for the fish on display as you enter the MDR when it is FRESH..."Fresh" appeared on the menu for fish several times after Fort Lauderdale, Spain, Italy, Malta and Greece.....And it was delicious....

Even when not "fresh" I always enjoy HAL fish in the MDR.....but the "fresh fish" emphasis kicks it up another notch.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

I never eat dead fish.  I wish they would focus on better beef dishes.  There is already a wide variety of fish dishes, no need to spend more in this area

Edited by bigbeergut
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, bigbeergut said:

I wish they would focus on better beef dishes.

When I was not eating dead fish, I was eating dead cow..and other meats....On our April Oosterdam cruise, we enjoyed delicious beef filet tenderloins several nights in the MDR....not just on dressy night.  Also, great rabbit entree, excellent beef short ribs (fall off the bone)....and a nice prime rib......

We enjoyed the meals in the MDR......

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This has been a useful and enlightening thread. Y'all have just persuaded me that it's worth the extra effort to dress and take the time for the MDR. 

Some excellent tips here. I now know to be on the lookout for "fresh" and to order my fish cooked medium.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I've been on two cruises since the increased focus and agree with the prior posters that the overall variety and quality has greatly improved.  In addition, most fish has been served moist when, in the past, HAL tended to overcook and dry out the fish.  One of the highlights from our last cruise, ship acquired fresh tuna in Barbados which was served that night in the Lido and the following night in the main dining room.  Color was deep red, no sinew and, at my request, prepared seared on the outside and raw in the inside - just the way I like it!  Probably one of the best cuts of fish I have ever had on the ship.

Edited by Big Dawg CC
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, bigbeergut said:

I never eat dead fish.  I wish they would focus on better beef dishes.  There is already a wide variety of fish dishes, no need to spend more in this area

Well, no one ever offered me a live fish to eat...  I don't see why focusing on one kind of food would prevent them from improving all the food.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Kay S said:

Well, no one ever offered me a live fish to eat...  I don't see why focusing on one kind of food would prevent them from improving all the food.

This would be true if they had an unlimited food budget.

I had quite a few fish dishes on the Rotterdam in April and all were quite good. I had the Morimoto Black Cod ($25 supplement) and I would happily order it again. However, all the "free" included fish dishes were very good.

• Like 2

On 5/3/2024 at 4:33 PM, FlaMariner said:

When I was not eating dead fish, I was eating dead cow..and other meats....On our April Oosterdam cruise, we enjoyed delicious beef filet tenderloins several nights in the MDR....not just on dressy night.  Also, great rabbit entree, excellent beef short ribs (fall off the bone)....and a nice prime rib......

We enjoyed the meals in the MDR......

Your remark of dead cow hit my funny bone.  Sorry all you vegans. Of course, I can't eat rabbit.  They are way too cute.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Just off the Noordam and had two Morimoto meals in the MDR, lobster and halibut.

There was a special team onboard to get everyone up to speed on the cooking of the Morimoto dishes because next cruise they would be offered in the Pinnacle Grill as a pop-up event.

Both were exceptional and well worth the up charge.

73640354192__48D18A4B-7B1D-4946-8DEA-DFD97774B078.fullsizerender.jpeg

IMG_0949.jpeg

Edited by Aexboeingdriver
Photo problems
  • Like 1