I am a pensioner with not great funds, I know cruises from Sydney don't incur gratuities they are added to the standard fare, my question please is I like to tip the waiters on the ship but cant afford much, would $1 & $2 tips be an insult,? or shouldn't I tip at all ?

If your tips/gratuities are already built into the cruise price, then absolutely no further tipping is required. I would not feel bad about not giving more. Don't let yourself be pressured.

Just remember that some onboard purchases may NOT include a service charge. So that drink that "costs" $10 on the menu may attract a service charge. 

• Like 4

thank you for your answer buchhalm, I would not feel pressured and I understand what your saying and that's very true, but if $1 & $2 tips would be an insult or the waiter thought I was a cheap skate I would rather not tip at all. maybe that's the answer

If you thjink the service is of a high standard then mention the person by name on your post cruise survey and include why. This can be of greater benefit than a couple of extra dollars in the hand as the information is used when assessing promotion.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Actually gratuities that are included in the fare, are not tips, gratuities on non Australian cruises are the American way of paying a persons wage.

I think the rational is if you really do your job well people will pay you more.

Here in Australia and many other places we pay a reasonable base wage.

Tips are for outstanding service here.

On the ship, as cruises from here include a working wage we do not pay the gratuities.

Tipping is very optional, depending on what you feel like giving, and what is within your financial means to give.

If you feel that someone has made your trip special, a tip is appropriate, if you can afford it.

Other wise as lyndarra has said make a special effort to make sure princess knows that they made your trip special. It also helps them having their contracts renewed.

Regards

John

and PS: Yes welcome to CC

Edited by Ozwoody
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Uniqueguy4 said:

I am a pensioner with not great funds, I know cruises from Sydney don't incur gratuities they are added to the standard fare, my question please is I like to tip the waiters on the ship but cant afford much, would $1 & $2 tips be an insult,? or shouldn't I tip at all ?

Just give your cabin attendant a couple of bucks ,$20-$50 if you think he’s worth it.

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 1

Do people really think giving an adult $1 or $2 is the thing to do? 

Far better IMO  to mention them by name in a post cruise survey or write a letter to management mentioning them by name than to give them shrapnel loose change. 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

Do people really think giving an adult $1 or $2 is the thing to do? 

Far better IMO  to mention them by name in a post cruise survey or write a letter to management mentioning them by name than to give them shrapnel loose change. 

If a couple of thousand odd people feel like sending me all their shrapnel, I assure you I will not feel offended. 😁

Edited by Ozwoody
  • Like 2
  • Haha 9

You really don't need to tip the waiters on Australian cruises, especially not American-style tipping of a token amount every time you see them. However if you do get a waiter that is especially good it would be better to remember their name and mention them in the post-cruise survey.

If you really want to tip then $20 at the end of the cruise is always appreciated but not necessary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uniqueguy4 said:

From Australia gratuities are included in ticket price . If the staff go beyond in their service included gratuities should be enough but they will be so grateful  to receive anything .

53 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

If a couple of thousand odd people feel like sending me all their shrapnel, I assure you I will not feel offended. 😁

well, sure - but it isnt a couple of thousand people  it is just OP

All joking aside, does anybody carry coins anymore?

I haven't carried coins for years, always feel bad passing buskers, don't really carry any cash with me, just rely on my plastic. just carry a $50 note for emergencies.

Do buskers have efpos these days?

56 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

I haven't carried coins for years, always feel bad passing buskers, don't really carry any cash with me, just rely on my plastic. just carry a $50 note for emergencies.

Some do.

In some restaurants (Canada) there are signs on tables with a QR code to scan and leave an E- tip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozwoody said:

Buskers have tap facilities so cards are welcome

• Like 1

I think it really depends on the cruise, if it is a more US cetric ship like Royal or Celebrity you will be tipping for each drink anyway, other lines have it included in the price.

As others have said, I wouldn't worry about tipping in coins, a note along the way or at the end would be more appreciated but certainly not required. As with a post cruise  recommendation to the staff that you want to praise.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

Yep, I carry coins all the time, and I also try and pay for most things with cash, unless its over $40 - $50+ then I will use may card.

Edited by Kiwi_cruiser

16 hours ago, Uniqueguy4 said:

Not all cruises from Sydney have gratuities included in the fare. Daily gratuities are added on Cunard, Disney & Holland America. 

It is the thought that counts. Any amount from the heart is usually well received.

• Like 3

If your "Gratuities" are included in the fare then consider yourself covered. You will probably have the going rate for "gratuities" added to every drink or specialty meal you purchase. Make sure you mention any crew member by name when they give you exceptional service. Take a moment to recognize those who you think deserve a bit extra and search them out close to the end of the cruise with a bit of cash (only if you want to) I have to say the whole "tipping" culture is out of hand in North America, with so many people thinking they can bribe "special" treatment with a couple bucks. We are so looking forward to our down under adventure where the servers don't expect an 18% reward for even the most basic of service.

• Like 5

Got into a FB spat with someone (HAL forum so assuming North American) about tipping bar tenders for every drink stating it makes her cruise better. Aaargh!

Anyway, I have nothing against tipping and leave tips for cabin staff. But the practice of rubbing the hands of a bartender in the expectation of favourable service I find patronising at best, crude at worst. This may be common practice in North American bars etc but on an international cruise ship with guests from all over the world, who pay a significant amount in crew appreciation plus 18% service charge for each drink, it has no place in my view.

• Like 12

I know someone who does it and he is an Aussie. In sister he gets better service,  bigger pours, and such. I prefer to sit in my lounge chair and get the drinks as they come with the waiter providing good service without all the tipping. And the rewarding at the end of the cruise if they were exceptional.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

I know someone who does it and he is an Aussie. In sister he gets better service,  bigger pours, and such. I prefer to sit in my lounge chair and get the drinks as they come with the waiter providing good service without all the tipping. And the rewarding at the end of the cruise if they were exceptional.

Exactly Mic. The "tips" debate shows up from time to time on most boards (less here). Almost always when the subject comes up there is someone who insists they get better service using a particular unusual denomination of bill. I guess if you "think" it works it must be true.

• Like 7