Does Princess allow bringing food ONBOARD ship in port ?----

Jetswdo

Posted (edited)

The problem I see here is that a fresh Maine lobster roll is a delicacy, and it's expensive. A takeout container seems more likely to me to be confiscated than any sealed packages of food. Personally, I wouldn't take a chance, policies can vary depending on the ship and the port.  Find a spot to eat it onshore, and enjoy the lovely view as part of the deal.

Edited by cynbar
Spelling error
  • Like 1

You are going to get a multitude of answers here.  
We’ve brought food onboard before but in some ports, it’s strictly prohibited.  
We have seen big trashcans full of restaurant food in LA and in SF but then again, we’ve brought hot lunch back for some of our favorite crew members that couldn’t get off the ship while in port.  It really depends on the port so, just ask when you get off the ship to find out their rules about bringing non factory sealed food onboard.  

• Like 3

Sometimes yes, sometimes no…depends on the local authorities, not Princess policy.   Packaged food is much more likely to be ok, but it’s always a toss up…good luck!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jetswdo said:

I know this is a weird question----  But here it is:  We will be in Portland Maine for a very short time on cruise stop. Ship leaves at 2:00   I want to grab a lobster roll at a nearby recommended cafe, that has long waits for a table.  I was thinking that it would be easier to just get as takeout, and if necessary just eat this on board ship.  Just a thought.    Has any one ever brought back a meal from a port stop on Princess?

I brought pastries onboard 2 different times on the Regal in Europe last month so I think you will be good.

8 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I purchased a large container of clam chowder from a restaurant on the Monterey Pier in CA. As I stepped off of the tender onto the ship they asked me what I had. They took my piping hot clam chowder. You know someone ate it. 

On one Princess cruise, in San Francisco, someone behind us in line reboarding was denied bringing fresh donuts onboard from a local bakery.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

On one Princess cruise, in San Francisco, someone behind us in line reboarding was denied bringing fresh donuts onboard from a local bakery.  

We’ve seen that in SF and in LA, too!  We were able to bring beignets from Cafe Du Monde back onboard nice in New Orleans.  It really depends on the port security, I think.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

We’ve seen that in SF and in LA, too!  We were able to bring beignets from Cafe Du Monde back onboard nice in New Orleans.  It really depends on the port security, I think.

That would be my guess is as well. I have had success in ports and not in other ports. I don't think it is a blanket statement of yes or now for all ports.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Might have happened because it was obvious to security. I love local pastries and always walk with a string backpack which I put my purchases in. My bag always go through screening no questions asked.

9 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

This is when a request for a supervisor should be made. 
This request is necessary to prevent an uninformed and overzealous front line employee from barking out orders that are just plain wrong. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I’ve only seen a disclaimer in T&C with NCL, specifically stated no outside food can be brought ON their (Hawaii) ship.  After the fact.  They did take away my plate lunch.  Yet, I could bring lots of food ON to Princess on a Hawaiian voyage.

On Princess, IN San Francisco, I’ve brought on beef jerky, salami, and moon cake.  

The safest thing to do is ask a Princess security officer in the terminal…and get a name………

Edited by cr8tiv1