Spirit in wine bottle, does it get looked at.

On 5/19/2024 at 1:55 PM, LisaDee said:

In Baltimore after my carry on bag went through the X-ray machine I was asked to take out my bottle of wine and the security lady inspected it closely.  In Civitavecchia (Rome) nobody cared, it was the quickest security process ever.

We've also had our wine inspected each time when cruising out of Baltimore.   Mos tother ports don't really care. 

If you want to scam the system, that is fine but please don't announce  your methods on social media.   I like being able to bring a bottle of wine on board. 

M

• Like 1

On 5/18/2024 at 12:52 PM, OldCaver said:

But don't try to smuggle an extension cord onboard. They'll catch it every time. You'll be sent to the naughty room and told to open your suitcase.

It's all in how you present it.... 

I wrap my 10-foot extension cord (similar to this model) and the power cord for my laptop around my laptop together like one big huge power cord and shove it in my carry-on bag.  I've done this on 30+ cruises, and nobody ever blinked an eye.  

The only thing that anyone has ever questioned is my little USB desk fan (similar to this one).  The rent-a-cop doing the screening in San Pedro had to "ask a supervisor" if I was allowed to bring a teeny tiny fan on board.  By the time they walked back with the "of course they can" answer, I had already walked on... why on earth would a 4" fan not be permitted, for crying out loud???? 

Oh, and my 10-foot extension cord?  It was right next to the "dangerous" teeny tiny fan in my carry-on, and nobody even noticed it, even though they looked closely enough to notice the fan.  🙄

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

On 5/18/2024 at 6:42 PM, smokeybandit said:
On 5/18/2024 at 6:37 PM, ONECRUISER said:

Only when having my Prostate checked

What class of suite gets you that?

Is it a Genie or a Concierge service?  Do you have to schedule it in advance, or just ask for it when on board?

And how much do people tip for this?  I don't want to look cheap...

Edited by brillohead
  • Haha 3

Bottom line is if you try it you are breaking the rules of your signed cruise contract. Is it that worth it for a bottle of Jack? Just buy it on board and don't worry about being caught or confiscated. You are talking a $15 dollar of booze. I don't think $15 is going to break your bank.

• Like 2

On 5/19/2024 at 7:11 PM, fenton04 said:

Gotta love the Italians.

Well to be fair, in Italy wine is thought of almost like water. In fact when I was very little when we would go to my grandparents for holidays (or anytime) the kids all sat at a small table in the kitchen, and we were all given a small glass of grandpas homemade wine. I thought it was awful. I remember it was purple. I hated it. But we all had to drink it.

I agree…Gotta love Italians.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, brillohead said:

It's all in how you present it.... 

I wrap my 10-foot extension cord (similar to this model) and the power cord for my laptop around my laptop together like one big huge power cord and shove it in my carry-on bag.  I've done this on 30+ cruises, and nobody ever blinked an eye.  

The only thing that anyone has ever questioned is my little USB desk fan (similar to this one).  The rent-a-cop doing the screening in San Pedro had to "ask a supervisor" if I was allowed to bring a teeny tiny fan on board.  By the time they walked back with the "of course they can" answer, I had already walked on... why on earth would a 4" fan not be permitted, for crying out loud???? 

Oh, and my 10-foot extension cord?  It was right next to the "dangerous" teeny tiny fan in my carry-on, and nobody even noticed it, even though they looked closely enough to notice the fan.  🙄

I bring a small all plastic USB desk fan on every cruise. It’s totally plastic…..in a box. I would cry if they took it away. 

5 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I bring a small all plastic USB desk fan on every cruise. It’s totally plastic…..in a box. I would cry if they took it away. 

There's no reason that they ever would.... fans aren't on the list of prohibited items.  

I like to use mine for drying laundry/swimwear that I wash in my sink.  Magnetic hook on the ceiling, damp item on a hanger (after rolling in a towel and stepping on it), and fan, and the item is dry by morning.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, brillohead said:

There's no reason that they ever would.... fans aren't on the list of prohibited items.  

I like to use mine for drying laundry/swimwear that I wash in my sink.  Magnetic hook on the ceiling, damp item on a hanger (after rolling in a towel and stepping on it), and fan, and the item is dry by morning.

I usually hang mine from the ceiling on a hook by the A/C vent. I bring shirts that after washing, doing a dance on the shirt wrapped in a towel, and hanging by the vent it dries very quickly. I use the fan at night. We love that fan!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Well to be fair, in Italy wine is thought of almost like water. In fact when I was very little when we would go to my grandparents for holidays (or anytime) the kids all sat at a small table in the kitchen, and we were all given a small glass of grandpas homemade wine. I thought it was awful. I remember it was purple. I hated it. But we all had to drink it.

I agree…Gotta love Italians.

Same here. I used to mix mine with ginger ale. To this day I only drink white wine. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 8:54 AM, royalcruiserC said:

A friend of mine was saying he was going to empty a bottle of red wine and fill it with Jack Daniels.

do they look closely at bottles, its a screw top so would look normal unless closely inspected.

Also, what happens if they are caught

Thanks

I recommend telling your friend that they'll enjoy the cruise a lot more if they pony up the money for a drink package. If they are big drinkers to the point that they feel the need to smuggle booze into their cabin, they will really enjoy unlimited booze as part of the drink package. Their booze will be easily available all over the ship at any time with waiters to serve them. It's stress free, relaxing, and they'll get to try other drinks to break up the monotony of cheap whiskey. Heck, they can try even better whiskey!

On my last Cruise, I was enjoying the hot-tub with a drink in hand when a lady next to me expressed that she was tired of having to go back to her cabin to top-off her boozy beverage and wished she would have had the drink package. (Yes, drinking and swimming, that's the dream, right?)

Edited by cruisinfly
typo
  • Like 3

On 5/19/2024 at 6:52 AM, cruisegirl1 said:

Yes, then after the George Smith incident on Brilliance, the rules changed to no alcohol to be brought on board.   This was the policy for a while. 

m

Please enlighten us with the details of that incident. 🥸

6 hours ago, cruisinfly said:

I recommend telling your friend that they'll enjoy the cruise a lot more if they pony up the money for a drink package. If they are big drinkers to the point that they feel the need to smuggle booze into their cabin, they will really enjoy unlimited booze as part of the drink package. Their booze will be easily available all over the ship at any time with waiters to serve them. It's stress free, relaxing, and they'll get to try other drinks to break up the monotony of cheap whiskey. Heck, they can try even better whiskey!

On my last Cruise, I was enjoying the hot-tub with a drink in hand when a lady next to me expressed that she was tired of having to go back to her cabin to top-off her boozy beverage and wished she would have had the drink package. (Yes, drinking and swimming, that's the dream, right?)

I didn't use to have a problem buying the drink package. That was until the price went to $700pp for a 7 day cruise.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2024 at 4:36 PM, cruisegirl1 said:

We've also had our wine inspected each time when cruising out of Baltimore.   Mos tother ports don't really care. 

If you want to scam the system, that is fine but please don't announce  your methods on social media.   I like being able to bring a bottle of wine on board. 

M

We've had our wine inspected in Baltimore back when we were carrying some on. We don't bother anymore because on 7+ night cruises we get our 3 gifts and ours are all wine and on 5 night, we get 1 plus our 5 vouchers each.  But, Baltimore has always been much more likely to inspect the bottles. They had us take them out and they would read the label and look at the seal.

On 5/21/2024 at 6:32 PM, Sea Dog said:

Bottom line is if you try it you are breaking the rules of your signed cruise contract. Is it that worth it for a bottle of Jack? Just buy it on board and don't worry about being caught or confiscated. You are talking a $15 dollar of booze. I don't think $15 is going to break your bank.

Jack, no

Limoncello, sure🤣

• Haha 3

On 5/21/2024 at 8:48 PM, brillohead said:

Not certain, but word on Serenade is that what caused the fire last week.

17 hours ago, Hutcha said:

I didn't use to have a problem buying the drink package. That was until the price went to $700pp for a 7 day cruise.

I agree the cost has risen above the point where it exceeds my desire to purchase an alcoholic beverage package but for somebody who values drinking as a large part of their vacation experience to the point where they want to smuggle booze, it may be worth the expense.

Some people pay more than $700 to reserve a day bed under a canopy for a few hours of use or nearly $300 for an hour-long massage, so, for a vacation, put it in perspective.

I am spending $26/day for a non-alcoholic beverage package but if that cost were any higher, I would not have purchased that. I enjoy espresso beverages and fresh-squeezed OJ. I also like the convenience of unlimited bottled water anywhere onboard.

I purchased an unlimited dining package as well (on sale) despite the fact I've already paid for a lot of food that's already included. This is a first time for me but I do value a great meal and a discount on bottled wine with dinner.

To each their own!