Spirit in wine bottle, does it get looked at.

A friend of mine was saying he was going to empty a bottle of red wine and fill it with Jack Daniels.

do they look closely at bottles, its a screw top so would look normal unless closely inspected.

Also, what happens if they are caught

Thanks

• Haha 3

A screw top will appear to be opened. These inspectors at security aren't ignorant in the ways of smugglers.

Small rum runners might work if carried on person, but larger ones tend to show up in scans.

• Like 3

I'm betting as an old guy who is a frequent cruiser I could probably pull it off while my son who fits the profile as a late twenty something potential liquor smuggler would probably get busted everytime.

YMMV.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I can’t remember the last time anyone asked to look at my wine. It’s stayed in my back pack through security at least the last dozen times. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, royalcruiserC said:

A friend of mine was saying he was going to empty a bottle of red wine and fill it with Jack Daniels.

do they look closely at bottles, its a screw top so would look normal unless closely inspected.

Thanks

Luck of the draw.  You might get the screener who glances at your single wine bottle and waves you on through, or you might get the guy who really looks.  Might depend upon how busy it is when you go through.  

If caught with a straight-up bottle of Jack, they'll confiscate it until the end of the cruise. 

If caught with an altered bottle, which is what he's considering, they'll take it and keep it.  

57 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

A screw top will appear to be opened. These inspectors at security aren't ignorant in the ways of smugglers.

Small rum runners might work if carried on person, but larger ones tend to show up in scans.

Yes, the inspectors know all the tricks.  They know how wine vs. liquor looks and "shakes".

Yes, keeping it small is key.  They don't have time /aren't going to worry much about 2 mini-bottles mixed in with toiletries ... but they're going to look at 2 full-sized bottles of Listerine. 

48 minutes ago, royalcruiserC said:

I think my only real worry is that they stop him boarding the ship, is it possible they will do more than just confiscate it?

No, loss of the bottle is the worst thing that will happen -- assuming he's friendly and responds with an "Aw, shucks" attitude.  If he were to be argumentative or aggressive, things could potentially escalate.  

44 minutes ago, twangster said:

I'm betting as an old guy who is a frequent cruiser I could probably pull it off while my son who fits the profile as a late twenty something potential liquor smuggler would probably get busted everytime.

YMMV.

Agree, though I think it's age and appearance that give you an edge.  The cruise terminal screening staff don't know you're a frequent cruiser.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mum2Mercury said:

The cruise terminal screening staff don't know you're a frequent cruiser.  

I’m not so sure.  They judge and profile and they know, even if I don’t wear my pinnacle pin, which I typically don’t.  

When I was a frequent flier with 300+ flights a year, there is no doubt TSA could see that I was a frequent flier. 

They see thousands of people day after day.  They know.  They profile.  They judge.  

• Like 3

I just consulted with a reformed rum-running cruiser, and she says they will check thoroughly on a spring break cruise. She adds that the contract you agreed to was to not break the rules or they can deny boarding. So if caught, they can indeed deny boarding, but usually they just confiscate your booze knowing that after you board, it's a safe bet that you're going to buy mucho booozo, or in English, "revenue."

But don't try to smuggle an extension cord onboard. They'll catch it every time. You'll be sent to the naughty room and told to open your suitcase.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, royalcruiserC said:

Thanks

Technically doing what you posted would be a violation of the cruise contract everyone agrees to when booking a cruise. That alone would be enough to warrant denying boarding the ship, although the odds are that won’t happen. However, the way RCI is trying to generate as much revenue as possible (which they should be doing as a for profit business), I wouldn’t risk doing it. Denying a passenger boarding because they violate a term of the cruise contract, would be an easy way for RCI to keep 100% of someone’s cruise fare who isn’t on the ship. 

• Thanks 1

I used the shampoo bottle kit off of Amazon. Comes with a funnel and bottle seals. Packed them in my checked luggage and it went through with no problem. Took wine bottles (with wine) in my carryon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, royalcruiserC said:

I think my only real worry is that they stop him boarding the ship, is it possible they will do more than just confiscate it?

No, they will just confiscate it. Probably then drink it themselves after work! 

• Thanks 1

Many  of you may not remember a time  when  not even one bottle of wine  was allowed to be brought on board. It would be sad if they took our wine bottle allowance  away because it was abused and folks tried to scam the system. 

m

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

I used the shampoo bottle kit off of Amazon. Comes with a funnel and bottle seals. Packed them in my checked luggage and it went through with no problem. Took wine bottles (with wine) in my carryon.

link?

2 hours ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

It's refreshing to hear folks being honest about sneaking on booze. It reminds me there's still bad in this world.

Here is a controversial statement for you. I would say your statement is more a reflection of a bad person, than the person who you are trying to shame

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I've seen people get busted for putting vodka in water bottles.

So yes, they check. Granted I bet more gets through than doesn't, but they are looking.

Had them check my Diet Dew Bottles before, counted to 12 and look to see was soda pop in them