Spirit in wine bottle, does it get looked at.

1 minute ago, ONECRUISER said:

Had them check my Diet Dew Bottles before, counted to 12 and look to see was soda pop in them

For the water bottles, apparently security shook the case of water and noted that some bottles settled differently, indicating it wasn't water.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Technically doing what you posted would be a violation of the cruise contract everyone agrees to when booking a cruise. That alone would be enough to warrant denying boarding the ship, although the odds are that won’t happen. However, the way RCI is trying to generate as much revenue as possible (which they should be doing as a for profit business), I wouldn’t risk doing it. Denying a passenger boarding because they violate a term of the cruise contract, would be an easy way for RCI to keep 100% of someone’s cruise fare who isn’t on the ship. 

That wouldn’t be in royals best interest.

first, many do it and they know it, so by signaling someone out and letting others go doesn't look good for a company that turns their head away in many other situations. They would announce it on social media, and even though its wrong, many get away with it,

Plus, that passenger may have spent much more money than the zero Royal would get if they were disallowed that person boarding.

But I’m not saying it’s right to do,  or would we do it and never have.

• Like 1

I'm sure times have changed, but about 7 years ago we took a transatlantic from Ft. Lauderdale. We were taking a bottle of American rye to a friend in England. I had it in my carryon, wrapped in bubble wrap and labeled with a luggage tag, prepared to turn it in and get it back at the end of the cruise.

No one noticed.

7 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

I’ve never heard of anyone being cavity searched. Go big or go home 😎

If you can carry that much booze in the prison purse I’d say you’ve earned the right to those free drinks. 

• Haha 5

Not too long ago i forget the ship.  I saw about a dozen corked wine bottles behind the security.I asked what’s the deal with the wine? She replied that they were hard liquor.  I said how do you know? She asked for my wine that I was carrying on.  Shook my wine bottle and had me look at the neck.  Nothing.  She took a confiscated bottle shook it and said look.  Bubbles.  
I looked it up when a moonshiner would start making moonshine the first liquid that came off was. not moonshine.  The shiner would take samples and when he saw bubbles it was PROOF that shine was coming out of the still.  Thus the term for amount of alcohol.  100 proof 50 percent alcohol.  Who knew?

• Like 3

15 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Many  of you may not remember a time  when  not even one bottle of wine  was allowed to be brought on board. It would be sad if they took our wine bottle allowance  away because it was abused and folks tried to scam the system. 

m

Some may remember a time when you could bring a portable bar along. Also replenish at ports. 

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

Some may remember a time when you could bring a portable bar along. Also replenish at ports. 

Yes, then after the George Smith incident on Brilliance, the rules changed to no alcohol to be brought on board.   This was the policy for a while. 

m

Edited by cruisegirl1

2 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

Thats what we remember too. That was before booze packages if I recall correctly.

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Yes, then after the George Smith incident on Brilliance, the rules changed to no alcohol to be brought on board.   This was the policy for a while. 

m

Is that when it changed? That was more than just booze related…….

I remember being in line at the terminal, behind a couple who each had a bottle of wine in their carryons. The bottles were inspected so rigorously, holding up everyone behind them, that it made me feel like there should be a wine line and an express no-wine line.

• Like 2

Fond memories for me...when I was younger and stupid ( older now...still stupid).

I brought wine in a box...yes, no one even asked. 

That wine-in-a-box had a silicone type bladder inside that perhaps I could've replaced with spirits.

Disclaimer: I am not suggesting for anyone to do this.

* My liver said not to drink like I was still in the military. We give other passengers, and crew, our wine(s) and drink vouchers.

In Baltimore after my carry on bag went through the X-ray machine I was asked to take out my bottle of wine and the security lady inspected it closely.  In Civitavecchia (Rome) nobody cared, it was the quickest security process ever.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Fond memories for me...when I was younger and stupid ( older now...still stupid).

I brought wine in a box...yes, no one even asked. 

That wine-in-a-box had a silicone type bladder inside that perhaps I could've replaced with spirits.

Disclaimer: I am not suggesting for anyone to do this.

* My liver said not to drink like I was still in the military. We give other passengers, and crew, our wine(s) and drink vouchers.

Im sitting here laughing because what seems like a century ago when we went on a cruise with friends and we brought a box of wine to share. Like you said, not a peep….and it was a Royal ship

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I remember being in line at the terminal, behind a couple who each had a bottle of wine in their carryons. The bottles were inspected so rigorously, holding up everyone behind them, that it made me feel like there should be a wine line and an express no-wine line.

Sure, it can happen -- but it isn't typical. 

5 hours ago, LisaDee said:

In Baltimore after my carry on bag went through the X-ray machine I was asked to take out my bottle of wine and the security lady inspected it closely.  In Civitavecchia (Rome) nobody cared, it was the quickest security process ever.

Gotta love the Italians.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2024 at 5:22 PM, royalcruiserC said:

Here is a controversial statement for you. I would say your statement is more a reflection of a bad person, than the person who you are trying to shame

Here's something controversial - each person is entitled to his/her own opinion and differing views don't make either a bad person. Have a nice day!🙂

• Like 1

Sorry folks, but the rules are the rules. We all know that the drinks are expensive, but the overpriced drinks and the overpriced excursions and the overpriced specialty dining are just all part of the experience... take it or leave it. When you go out for that special anniversary dinner in a land-based restaurant, you know you're paying about the same amount for a glass of wine as you'd pay for a bottle in the store. That's just the way it is. 

When you book a cruise, you agree to follow the rules. If you can't afford to drink on a cruise, then don't.  If you can't afford to drink on a cruise and you can't cruise without drinking, then maybe you should find a less expensive cruise or look into other types of vacations. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Vagabond Knight said:

Sorry folks, but the rules are the rules. We all know that the drinks are expensive, but the overpriced drinks and the overpriced excursions and the overpriced specialty dining are just all part of the experience... take it or leave it. When you go out for that special anniversary dinner in a land-based restaurant, you know you're paying about the same amount for a glass of wine as you'd pay for a bottle in the store. That's just the way it is. 

When you book a cruise, you agree to follow the rules. If you can't afford to drink on a cruise, then don't.  If you can't afford to drink on a cruise and you can't cruise without drinking, then maybe you should find a less expensive cruise or look into other types of vacations. 

But gaming the system is sooooo much fun! No harm in trying too!

33 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

They do sell the wine heat shrink wraps on amazon with replacement corks for less than $10.  They might be less inclined to check a shrink wrapped bottle of red wine than a screw top.

And if you make sure there are hardly any bubbles.....😝