First European River Cruise….Suggestions?

martyap

The size of ship is actually an interesting point to make. Just a bit of info on that. Ships on the European rivers are maximum 135m in length due to locks and regulations, with some rivers and canals needing smaller ships. 110m or what I call the "in-betweeners" used to be the norm. These days if the river allows it, almost all newly built ships are 135m. The width varies a lot but 11.5m is the width to go for in ship design these days (again, if the river allows it).

Just to add to Daisi's info:

4 hours ago, Daisi said:

The AMA Magma is really the only ship that is really larger as it's a double wide. All ships have to be the same length or shorter to fit the locks. I believe the max is 135 meters.

There are two other ships on the Danube that are wider than 11.5m and the new Arosa Sena is also wider, but only sailing the Rhine downstream from Cologne. For space these are great ships to look at, I will admit that the Sena is geared towards families, which you may not want on your river cruise.

The small advantage of shorter ships - that is 110m to 135m - is the fact that they tend to have a lower draft, good for the crucial centimetres between sailing and not sailing in low water conditions. I would not base my decision solely on that, I just thought I would add it to the info. The advantage will mostly help on the German Danube but can in some years help on the Rhine as well.

notamermaid

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, RobInMN said:

I'm guessing a 4(?) week cruise, nice! I think it would be very cool to do that in one continuous trip. After we do the cruise next spring, we'll have covered basically that same itinerary, but it will have taken us 4/5 different cruises (had some overlap 🙂)…

We are on the “Iconic Rivers of Europe” cruise with Avalon for 23 days.  It’s been a great trip so far and the atmosphere on board has been wonderful.  I would highly recommend this trip to anyone with the time and resources necessary to pull it off.

Edited by SelectSys

I recommend Uniworld River Cruises.  I started with a Rhine River cruise from Amsterdam to Basel. Have done 3 with them and happy with no plans to change.  Felt like in a luxurious French boutique hotel, food and service great.  All have incredible Savoir beds- most comfortable bed ever! They do not carry as many people as Viking.  Recommend one of the newer boats with SS before name. All-inclusive food, alcohol, tours and local entertainment in evening. I prefer autumn sailings.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 5:40 PM, Daisi said:

The only thing that holds me back from Viking is I'm stuck with the payment policy that the Americans get.

From the Canada website https://www.vikingrivercruisescanada.com/

SPRING Sale
FREE International Airfare* & Special Fares

$25 Deposit

2024-2026 Voyages

EXPIRES MAY 31, 2024

Join us this year  in Paris - 2024-09-05 Viking Skaga 'Paris & The Heart Of Normandy or next year 

2025-06-22 Viking Kadlin Capitals Of Eastern Europe🙂

1 hour ago, pontac said:

SPRING Sale

$25 Deposit

2024-2026 Voyages

EXPIRES MAY 31, 2024

Join us this year  in Paris - 2024-09-05 Viking Skaga 'Paris & The Heart Of Normandy or next year 

That only relates to the deposit. It doesn't mention when final payment is due. If I remember correctly, Viking has had $25 deposit fairly frequently lately.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pontac said:

SPRING Sale

$25 Deposit

2024-2026 Voyages

EXPIRES MAY 31, 2024

$25.00 down, but full payment due shortly after. We have friends who will be sailing with Viking next June, and have already had to make their final payment. We won't make our final payment for our Moselle cruise in May until Feb.  There is lots of room on our ship still if you wish to join us. 🙂

We agree with Ms Crystalina on Uniworld. We prefer all inclusive and rotated between Uniworld and Crystal River before bankruptcy. Another great option is Tauck although, we have only done land tours with them, their reviews are great. 

18 hours ago, Daisi said:

Moselle cruise in May until Feb.  There is lots of room on our ship still if you wish to join us

Tempted, but cruised Rhine/Mosel (Basel>Trier) in 2023 with Viking and due to cruise Rhine/Mosel (Amsterdam>Bernastel>Basel) with Scenic in August this year. Also we cruised the Rhine in 2012 and 2022: I think we are a bit Rhined out.

The Mosel is most attractive, but if we were to take the  Amawaterways cruise, the one that tempts me is "The Rhine & Moselle For Wine Lovers: Canals, Vineyards & Castles." and on the UK site there are same amazing discounts for cruises later this year

• Like 2

@pontac, I assume the "Amawaterways" was a slip of the finger. 🙂 Unfortunately, Avalon's Rhine & Moselle for Wine Lovers is only available in 2024, and if we don't make it home this summer, I'm going to get cast out of the family. 😉 

1 hour ago, Daisi said:

, I assume the "Amawaterways" was a slip of the finge

Yes, brain fog. First I was on the US site and then the UK site but it was Avalon in both cases.

1 hour ago, Daisi said:

Avalon's Rhine & Moselle for Wine Lovers is only available in 2024

Err, on the UK site  Rhine & Moselle for Wine Lovers is shown for 2025. It doesn't have Canals, Vineyards & Castles in the title but includes a canal cruise in Amsterdam and of course the castles of the Middle Rhine.

The site is frustrating, as I can't see any dates listed, it seems you have to ask via a form, and there are many pop-ups.

Posted (edited)

Found it now, I was looking at the Canals, Vineyards and Castles for wine lovers.

It's relatively easy to find the dates - select your cruise & click on cruise details. On the next page, just click on the "See dates & prices" button on the right. That take you to a page with the dates. You can click on the "reserve now" button, which starts off your "booking". If you just wish to see what cabins/transport are available, just click continue (lots left for the Oct cruise). Select a cabin, click continue and that pulls up the price. Then you can go and select air if you wish or continue without air. It's all set up so you can see where you cabin is, what is available (if you want pre or post nights, and gives you a price quote. I find it one of the easier ones to deal with, and I like to select my cabin as to how it is set up (I want my side of the bed against the wall as I get the outlet then) by doing a virtual tour to see it. Viking's seems the same, but you can't seem to select a certain cabin. Our Moselle cruise will be on the same boat we cruised the Rhine with and the same cabin!

Guess it's just a matter of getting used to a different booking site....

Edited by Daisi

Thanks, I see it! 

Re Viking - I've never booked via the website, I just ring them because they seem to have extras available; for instance on next years cruise gratuities are included but no drinks package as in previous years. So I asked and got the drinks package and we each were given £100 OBC in addition.

Layout of rooms is the same, and the electrical sockets are by the bed head. Regarding which cabin, I was told what was available and one was proposed, but - like you - I chose the same one I'd had in Holland (well not the same cabin, because it's on a different boat but all the Longships are identical.)

Reason I picked the same is I kept getting the cabin number wrong. It was 336, but when I was asked for it I'd say 366. It's only because there's no cabin 366 that my drinks bill didn't go to some other guest. By end of trip I was getting the number right, so next year I should be OK.

But you can select which cabin you want on the Viking site. Click on Price & Build then on the next page you can select the date, cabin type, deck and then the cabin from those available.

As you say 'Guess it's just a matter of getting used to a different booking site...'

• Like 1

Avalon has sockets on the "wall" side of the bed, while they just have a USB on the "door" side. Since DH only has his tablet to plug in overnight, I take the outlet side and plug in both phones and my tablet. Camera gets plugged in on the desktop side. That's why I need to know what layout we need - I'm stay up later and get up earlier, so don't want to wake him up having to get up to plug/unplug stuff. 

The really only difference between the Avalon ships (other than 110m & 135m long) is really the decor, all cabins except for the lower level & 2 suites are identical, so we always choose one in the stern section that is closest to the price increase. I use the money to give us an extra excursion or upgrade our flights.

@Daisi. I highly recommend getting a charging station. Then you can charge everything with even just 1 outlet. You don't have to worry about changing what's charging. This is the one I have, but there are many out there. I recently upgraded from one that was all USB-A to this one that has 5 USB-C (including 2 65W PDs) and 2 USB-A's. Plus, something like this will charge a lot faster than the low powered built-in USB ports you'll find on any ship or hotel room.

41A1COpmNzL._SY180_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BX3V6ZZX

I also bring a few of these:

31qbuMjk8WL._SY180_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058EG0KC

And a couple of these:

3139fuMfQqL._SY180_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YDF8GCT

I also bring a 10 foot USB cable.

This combination of adaptors/chargers should make it so that you don't need to worry about layout.

Posted (edited)

@RobInMN, don't worry. We have a converter, and EU plugs like below. The problem with the layout is that the outlet to plug in the plugs in only on one side of the bed, and since I tend to stay up later, and get up earlier, I don't disturb my husband by getting up to plug in my tablet & phone. There is enough room for both tablets and my phone on my side table, but my camera is larger so needs the desk. We also each have power banks that we can charge on the desk with the camera.

These are l the plugs we have, because we have more USB-C "toys' than a USB-A, so they charge faster. The plugs fold in so they don't take as much room in my cord case. I also have several lengths of cords for when we are in hotels.

Screenshot 2024-05-26 162207.jpg

Edited by Daisi

Wow, both of you take a lot of adapters and cords.  DW and I only need three adapters between us:  my computer takes care of charging my phone and watch; her computer likewise; and the camera battery charger is an occasional third.  After reading Amazon reviews about any folding design and the USB conversions in those small plugs eventually failing, I buy Ceptics brand fixed adapters like these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7VKNNU?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

No moving parts and the minimum of electronics built in, for long-term reliability.

They come in a box of three, which also helps me not leave them behind:  if the box isn't full, it doesn't get packed.  And the box is pretty obvious sitting on the desk!

Posted (edited)

Lots of devices that need charging.😁

2 phones

1 tablet

1 set of earbuds (could be 2, but my wife almost never uses hers on the trip)

1 smart watch (special charger - uses a USB-A)

1 Nook (eReader) - only occasionally needs charging, but needs MicroUSB

1 GoPro - depending on trip

1 power bank

1 laptop - while it can use the PD USB-C, usually use it's actual charger

And after we land from a flight, 2 sets of Bose QC45's, and 2 sets of Bluetooth Transmitters (that we use instead of a cord since the Active Noise Cancellation feature only works when in Bluetooth mode.

Edited by RobInMN

Plus now the EU has introduced the necessity of ‘common charging connections HELP!  Okay so this will take some time to come in. I have a little box on a lead the lead has a normal USB connection on one end and a multi connection on the other i.e. e-reader, several different camera battery chargers, phone chargers, several that I haven’t the foggiest what they are for but one of my son in laws was most impressed. To my mind this has got to stop this is an inter company wrangle - sort it out!

Many years ago I spent ages trying to find plug comparisons for Singapore only to find they used the same as the U.K. This was after teaching my Girl Guides how to wire an electric plug another skill no longer required.

@Canal archive, that’s actually simplifying our lives, as we don’t have to take so many different cords. Both phones and tablets are USB C, as we’ve been updating, it’s only our older power banks and my camera that are still USB-A. So much nicer than carrying around cables for each device, and so much easier to replace a cable when travelling.

I remember being very impressed by a lady who drew pen and ink sketches of the places she'd been. She had a little book for each holiday. I wished I had her talent. They were perfect mementos and so much better than hundreds of digital images that will never be printed out.

3 hours ago, Daisi said:

@Canal archive, that’s actually simplifying our lives, as we don’t have to take so many different cords. Both phones and tablets are USB C, as we’ve been updating, it’s only our older power banks and my camera that are still USB-A. So much nicer than carrying around cables for each device, and so much easier to replace a cable when travelling.

Your older power banks and camera are not "USB-A", they might be MicroUSB. Device inputs are never USB-A. They started as USB-A is mono-directional. In the really old days the other end was USB-B. Then came MiniUSB, then MicroUSB. All mono-directional with USB-A on the source end.

USB-C is bi-directional. You can have devices that output and/or input USB-C. My power bank has a USB-C port that I use to charge the power bank as well as use the same port to provde power.

You can charge you older devices using charges and power banks that are USB-C, you just have to have the correct cable.

You can have cables of the following types:

USB-A -> USB-B

USB-A -> MiniUSB

USB-A -> MicroUSB (most common "legacy")

USB-A -> USB-C (common transitional as devices had USB-C as inputs, but still using legacy chargers)

USB-A -> Lightning (for those Apple People)

USB-C -> USB-C (Ideal - for now anyway)

USB-C -> Lighting (again, for those Apple people)

But you can also find:

USB-C -> MicroUSB

USB-C -> MiniUSB(Really? why???)

And then there's USB-C Thunderbolt, which can also be used for video:

USB-C to HDMI

USB-C to MiniHDMI

USB-C to DisplayPort

Basically, I would sum up the EU law as doing 2 things:

1. Force Apple to switch from their proprietary Lightning connector to USB-C
  2. Force consumer devices to abandon the legacy MicroUSB on new products.
  3. I'm all for both of these. While I don't use Apple products, it frustrates me to no end to be looking for rechargeable products only to see that they are still using MicroUSB. Seriously. It's been almost a decade since USB-C was introduced, and 6 years since it was really mainstream. Stop using MicroUSB ports on new products!

Also, just remembered another device we charge on a cruise:

1 travel lighted makeup mirror

• Like 1

@RobInMN, not going to argue, but my camera and power banks require a USB A "outlet" to plug into, or in the case of my camera, a regular 2 prong plug. The cables for them are proprietary, so of course I have to have them, but they pack into their cases. Our new power banks (which will probably be coming sooner than later) will be USB-C in/output thereby eliminating another cable to worry about. Until I find another camera that provides the quality of photos without the bulk of packing my SLR and lenses, I'm stuck with that.

@Nippy Sweetie, I take a lot of photos, and when we get home, we store them on our hard drives. My daily wallpaper on the computer is all holiday photos. My husband will occasionally paint some of our pictures, or we print them out on canvas, but we only have limited wall space. 🙂

1 hour ago, Daisi said:

@RobInMN, not going to argue, but my camera and power banks require a USB A "outlet" to plug into, or in the case of my camera, a regular 2 prong plug. The cables for them are proprietary, so of course I have to have them, but they pack into their cases. Our new power banks (which will probably be coming sooner than later) will be USB-C in/output thereby eliminating another cable to worry about. Until I find another camera that provides the quality of photos without the bulk of packing my SLR and lenses, I'm stuck with that.

Ah! OK. The phone and power bank are not USB-A, the issue is that they have proprietary connection ports, and the only cable you have is for USB-A. That is another option I have seen before, that I neglected to mention. I hated when they did that. While I believe that was common with cameras, I can't say I recall ever seeing a power bank with a proprietary power connector for charging. Interesting.

BTW, you can still use a USB-C charger with a USB-A cable with something like this (there's also products without the short cord):

JSAUX USB C to USB 3.0 Adapter [2 Pack], Type C Male to USB Female OTG Cable Thunderbolt3 to USB Adapter Compatible with M... 

Also, what do you use for a phone? Almost any phone camera in the last 4 or 5 years should be able to take better pictures than a compact digital camera. Basically the only thing that will take better pictures is an SLR. As such, I think the whole compact digital camera market has essentially disappeared. Phone cameras are so good, there just no market anymore.

My Samsung S20+ takes excellent pictures. It's 4 models old and I don't even have the Ultra one.

Posted (edited)

I use my iPhone 15 for some shots, but for detailed close ups I like my zoom lens on my Sony camera. It's a 63x zoom lens, so shoots from 24.5mm to 1550mm. My camera on the iPhone is good, but not quite that good. Below is an example of the Eagle on the top of St. Matthias Church in Budapest. Both photos were taken from the same spot. The Eagle is the little "dot" on the top of the last spire on the right.

As to more cables, I don't need any. Our adaptors have 2 USB-A and 2 USB-C, as well as 3 spots to put in an actual plug. I have a cable case from Avalon that their sales rep gave to my TA to pass on to me, nice and compact but keeps cables, adaptors and earplugs all nicely organised. We've been travelling and adding in "toys" for over 40 years so I've got it figured out what is needed and to limit what we have to take.

DSC07630.JPG

DSC07639.JPG

Edited by Daisi