Just off Apex - infinite balcony cabin

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

The window  does go down , go to 3:43 to see it move

So a bit of an upgrade from an oceanview ...

I don't know of anyone who was contesting the window going up and down...

Edited by NMTraveller

7 hours ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Is there anyone else who just wants this thread to disappear?  I haven’t yet tried an IV but will in Alaska in a few months and all these threads just make me worried even though I think it’ll be fine.

Honestly I love the IV. I find with threads like these you have people state they like them then people come and say how bad they are and then it just goes downhill.

Everyone has different tastes but don't let people sway you, make up your own mind whether you like them or not

• Like 2

exactly.....Everyone has different tastes but don't let people sway you, make up your own mind whether you like them or not

I know its not for us but give it a try and I hope you love it.

Have  a great holiday

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Is there anyone else who just wants this thread to disappear?  I haven’t yet tried an IV but will in Alaska in a few months and all these threads just make me worried even though I think it’ll be fine.

Hey there, Celebrity VP of Marketing!  

Anyone have numbers for cabin size?  What is cabin size for veranda on S/M class compared to Edge with the infinite veranda?

12 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

The plus here are the drapes that close in lieu of the translucent panels and room-darkening shade on the retractable window. Regardless of the A/C issue, at least this cabin configuration would allow DH to step onto the "veranda" to snap a few photos while I still have a darkened cabin!

12 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Hey there, Celebrity VP of Marketing!  

Anyone have numbers for cabin size?  What is cabin size for veranda on S/M class compared to Edge with the infinite veranda?

If you google the ship fact sheet that will give you the answer 

here is Equinox fact sheet

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Fact_sheets/CEL-Equinox-FactSheet-MICE.pdf

2 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I’m convinced that some on CC would argue with a stop sign. 

I would probably lose the argument.  😬

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I’m convinced that some on CC would argue with a stop sign. 

Why do you need a stop sign?  Just look for traffic like the bike riders do.  if you don’t see any it’s safe to go.  🙂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, zitsky said:

When I was researching which cruise I wanted to take, these are the numbers I found - where I could find them.  But it's likely not apples to apples.  Many ships have categories within cabin categories and the source didn't really take that into account.

RC Wonder/Allure of the Seas    182 cabin + 50 balcony
RC Navigator of the Seas    198 cabin + 42 balcony
RC Enchantment of the Seas    191 cabin + 39 balcony
Celebrity Beyond        184 cabin + (unlisted) balcony
Celebrity Reflections        246 cabin + 54 balcony
Celebrity Solstice        194 cabin + 54 balcony
Celebrity Summit        170 cabin + 38 balcony

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2024 at 5:51 PM, NMTraveller said:

But not as the predominant cabin ...

The lines that do have them,  they are a much smaller percentage...

Viking Exp ships are almost all IV's.  The new RCL ships have a lot of them to but I don't pay much attention to that line.  It's a trend for sure.

Edited by rmalbers

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, rmalbers said:

Viking Exp ships are almost all IV's.  The new RCL ships have a lot of them to but I don't pay much attention to that line.  It's a trend for sure.

The Viking expedition ships have only about 300 passengers.  A different category of ship.

The RCL ships only have about 27% IVs.  Which makes sense.  It sounds like they did some research.

While I would expect to see some IVs on future cruise ships,  I don't expect to see the same mistake Celebrity made with mostly IVs...

Edited by NMTraveller

On 6/1/2024 at 10:25 PM, TGfromTX said:

I don't intend this badly if it comes across that way. Any negative tone is not intended, just offering a differing opinion. I don't have contacts that cruise often because I don't live anywhere close to a port that has this class of Celebrity ships and I haven't watched that many 'IV specific' reviews because I was lucky enough to be able to book one for no additional cost over a window view. Since I'm already booked I think making my own opinion is most important so I'll just wait and see for myself. But I don't understand why you care if someone else's opinion differs from yours.  It seems like the majority of the respondents have been in the cabins and already have an opinion and I haven't read where a single opinion change due to comments on any thread.

Many of the ship reviews I've read and seen bring up these balconies.  I don't see any indication that the bulk 'hate' them - although many 'influencer types' make these sort of claims.  Many state they 'prefer' the traditional but I doubt you know dozens that actually hate them unless you are all cool weather adapted individuals cruising in hot climates. Without context it's hard to know, but that group hardly makes up the bulk of passengers.  I still feel like where someone is from and where they are traveling to makes a big difference in someone's opinion. 

I've seen many comment that they have liked the cabins much more after a second trip so I think Oceansaway have noticed the same thing. The ship cabins are not low rated by any source I find reliable for mass opinion - just opposite - some of highest rated against any other ship. So whatever is in common in your group of "IV hating friends" is probably not as common or as important to many travelers.  That said, I could possibly join you group that dislikes the veranda.  I really don't think I will though - I'll probably just find some things I like more and notice some compromises - I feel like this is the standard reaction to them.

When cruisers change their opinions to the positive, I think it has little to do with the balcony layout.  I think it has more to do with automation and integration with phones.  Being able to open the blind or a window and turn on lights from phone while laying bed is a big update that the youth of today likely appreciates more than the older cruiser.  I still tend to like things with tactile feedback like knobs.  Again, I haven't researched the competition or other cabins on these ships, but I haven't seen anything that works as fluidly from the end to end experience in a cabin.  I don't think being able to change the room temp while being at dinner has the same impact of having automation throughout the entire room.  And that's causing a change of opinion that takes people more time to develop as they experience the cruise.  And some are noticing it more across multiple cruises - they aren't really saying it clearly as the cause when I've seen it, but that is what I think is happening.  The overall experience is better for most so the inconveniences are overlooked with time.    

I don't mean to belittle your response, but I don't think our opinions really matter for changing what Celebrity builds on their next ship.  I can't imagine the line did this if it were more expensive overall. They are likely saving on materials and time/manhours to build the ship. The changes likely reduce fuel use.  The cabins look like the designers may have been tasked how to automate and appeal to the people buying Tesla cars.  I sort of feel like they can add these verandas closer to sea level since since the windows can be closed by the captain to prevent people from being swept overboard.  The ships likely have more window view cabins replaced with the higher priced verandas.  I have no basis for these opinions, but the fact is the ships are still filling up and profits are being realized - and all of these would increase profit.  I think only what affects profit is likely to make a change in how ships are built. So I don't think it matters if others agree with what I think about the verandas - it isn't changing how the next ship is built.

I don't disagree with what I think all the cruise lines are targeting.  The under 40 crowd - especially the cruisers that sailed with their parents as kids and the ones that buy Teslas.  Passengers of that age as a whole don't seem to be care so much about the cabin layout to make their decision around it.

I'm in the over 40 crowd and the Infinite veranda definitely had zero impact on my decision to book on Celebrity - it was mostly about food.  I chose Beyond specifically because of how much it cost to upgrade to a veranda over ocean view on this ship - I didn't even know there was such controversy at the time.  In future, my decisions will likely be influenced little by balcony type.

In either case, I don't think there will be a reduction in these type of cabins on Celebrity.  A very small percentage that won't affect profit will go to other lines because they have an issue with them that affects their experience.  The majority will adapt to and embrace the change and likely make decisions off other aspects of the cruise which I think my result will be.  And a small percentage will like the cabins enough to choose due to it, but probably won't really affect overall profit.  

looking forward to a Panama canal partial transect cruise March 2025 and hoping we enjoy the IV as much as a regular balcony. Our cabin is as far aft as we could get before the suites/sunset cabins so hoping to enjoy the view.

5 minutes ago, MCARAB1 said:

looking forward to a Panama canal partial transect cruise March 2025 and hoping we enjoy the IV as much as a regular balcony. Our cabin is as far aft as we could get before the suites/sunset cabins so hoping to enjoy the view.

You’ll love it.  You don’t have to go outside anymore.  Still need bug spray though.  No screen.

• Thanks 1

On 5/27/2024 at 10:43 PM, mrgabriel said:

We've been in an IV in the Caribbean and to say we disliked it is putting it very mildly. Different strokes, right? 

However, I can see how there might be advantages on a cold weather cruise, maybe to Alaska or the Fjords. 

May I ask what you disliked about it? We are booked for next March on the Beyond and have an IV booked. A first time for us. 

47 minutes ago, newfiegirl4 said:

May I ask what you disliked about it? We are booked for next March on the Beyond and have an IV booked. A first time for us. 

We tend to use the balcony as a separate room. With the infinite balcony, you lose that option. I usually like to sit outside and read while my husband watches TV. Or if one wants to sleep and the other wants to get up early/stay up late, there is the option of going out there and not bothering the other person. We both also like the sea breeze and the weather. With the IV, the AC turns off when the window is open. And you lose the separate 'room'. You can close the partition but for us, it still felt like we were in the same room.

Some people love it. And I think we would probably be satisfied with it if we were on a cold weather cruise. 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2024 at 8:40 PM, mrgabriel said:

We tend to use the balcony as a separate room. With the infinite balcony, you lose that option. I usually like to sit outside and read while my husband watches TV. Or if one wants to sleep and the other wants to get up early/stay up late, there is the option of going out there and not bothering the other person. We both also like the sea breeze and the weather. With the IV, the AC turns off when the window is open. And you lose the separate 'room'. You can close the partition but for us, it still felt like we were in the same room.

Some people love it. And I think we would probably be satisfied with it if we were on a cold weather cruise. 

Have you ever been in an IV?

On 5/31/2024 at 1:16 PM, rmalbers said:

Anyway, I think a big factor in X putting them in is fuel savings.

The air turbulence caused by a standard balcony configuration does increase fuel usage, but the aerodynamics of the overall superstructure in the face of wind loads is a much greater factor, and the hydrodynamic losses are larger yet.  I don't think they're buying all that much in fuel savings.

There has been some interesting study done on this (see https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0029801820307666 as an example, but requires an account to get to the fine detail) with regard to cruise ships in particular.  The above study was performed for a big CCL Vista class ship.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, canderson said:

The air turbulence caused by a standard balcony configuration does increase fuel usage, but the aerodynamics of the overall superstructure in the face of wind loads is a much greater factor, and the hydrodynamic losses are larger yet.  I don't think they're buying all that much in fuel savings.

There has been some interesting study done on this (see https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0029801820307666 as an example, but requires an account to get to the fine detail) with regard to cruise ships in particular.  The above study was performed for a big CCL Vista class ship.

I did not get an exact number from the document.

My recollection during an Edge Bridge tour was that there was a 15% savings in fuel due to the IVs (this is what they claimed).  Not sure from what simulated model this was from...  Perhaps the true number is less than 5%?

It seems like someone should be able to compare an E class ship to a newer Princess ship with balconies and see what the fuel consumption is?  There would probably be different factors in play,  but are not those variables known.

It does seem reasonable that Royal chose a different path in supplying the IVs according to popularity and demand.  If the fuel savings really were 15% why did Royal not do the same and do all IVs?

Edited by NMTraveller

What is a sunset veranda?  Is it one that wraps around one of the back corners of the ship? Or maybe a rear facing balcony?

@NMTraveller  Interesting about 15% savings - I haven't seen that number before.  I'm too lazy to digest that article - hurt my brain.  I did see IV balconies on the RC ships - which made sense to me since they have same parent company.  I didn't notice percentage of cabins with them but they look to have same 'bones' in the cabins.  I had the impression RC was doing the same cabin across the new ships but happy to hear they are doing a mix.