RCCL shops at Ikea on a port day

Thought I would share what I thought was amusing. We were dropping off friends who had cruised into Halifax for a day. ( we often pick up people who we have met on Cruises) A van pulled up and was unloading a lot of Ikea product . The loads were heavy enough that it took 4 crew members to push up the slight ramp to the building. It was a lot of roasting pans , glass containers, vases , fake plants , etc, There was a chef greeting them. After that I have noticed that a lot of these products are used for display at the buffet. Every cruise now I say " oh look .. Ikea"

Halifax Ikea is only about 20 minutes from the port so easy for them to get to

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, hcat said:

probably nicer than the over priced Hoppen decor!

I thought that was where she got her design ideas.  My first impression of the new Edge Class cabins along with some of the public seating was that they purchased  everything  from Ikea. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

4 hours ago, miched said:

I thought that was where she got her design ideas.  My first impression of the new Edge Class cabins along with some of the public seating was that they purchased  everything  from Ikea. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

But Ikea seats tend to be more comfortable than the Hoppen torture chairs 😵‍💫🫣

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, odysee said:

But Ikea seats tend to be more comfortable than the Hoppen torture chairs 😵‍💫🫣

agree but never had an IKEA chair!

4 hours ago, Stu UK said:

In Southampton, Anthem of the Seas, staff bought IKEA gin goblets to cater for the U.K. passengers in their Vintages bar. 

another easy access store!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

I have never purchased anything from IKEA.  What am I missing?

The joy of discovering the true meaning of "Some Assembly Required" when buying furniture 😄

• Haha 5

19 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

If you are on a budget for home furnishings, it is a good place to buy shop.  You can buy furniture (some assembly required), lighting, area rugs, appliances curtains. down to kitchen utensils.  If you go an actual store, they have vignittes of various type of rooms like bedrooms, living rooms, kitchens, bathrooms etc.  fully furnished with Ikea products.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2024 at 6:13 PM, NMTraveller said:

Free coffee.  Cheap food.  Cheap restaurant to eat in.  Swedish meatballs.   Cheap furnishings that are used for lofts and dorms.   

Cheap kitchen utensils, dishes, lighting, bath furnishing, bed room stuff, and etc.  

it is a fun place to visit and easy to get lost in.   Once in it is a maze to find your way out.  You have to walk thru every section like some malls are set up especially in Vegas, or some ports where you have to walk past all of the shops.  

A place for people that  like to constantly change their home decor and furniture.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

The high chairs for baby’s are from IKEA too, those are on board for years. 

OP just wanted to share I think, if a chef buys fish or lobster from a local market it’s upscale and exclusive and people rave about it. But if lower restaurant staff buys some decoration it’s tacky to some here..? 

2 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

OP just wanted to share I think, if a chef buys fish or lobster from a local market it’s upscale and exclusive and people rave about it. But if lower restaurant staff buys some decoration it’s tacky to some here..? 

If a chef buys fish or lobster from a local market, it could be the only fresh fish or lobster served on the cruise!  By way of contrast, we don't think so much about how fresh the high chairs are. ☺️

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

yes , I was just sharing and it shows they don't have a wholesale supplier for all they use. They had a lot of new product that day

2 hours ago, gold1953 said:

yes , I was just sharing and it shows they don't have a wholesale supplier for all they use. They had a lot of new product that day

What my surprised is how that and decoration for the empty stations seems to be not performed through a standard operating procedure as far as we know?

20 hours ago, canderson said:

If a chef buys fish or lobster from a local market, it could be the only fresh fish or lobster served on the cruise!  By way of contrast, we don't think so much about how fresh the high chairs are. ☺️

It was in 2016 and we probably had one of the first Chef’s Market Discoveries excursions for Cozumel. The participating chef showed up in his full work gear, in the Mexican heat with two cooler bags. We went to the local market and the chef bought local fresh fish, think up a menu and cook it for us on the Porch.

I understand it’s not a thing anymore and it’s “inspired by” now.

Agree on the chairs, in any restaurant those are some of the stickiest things around! :classic_biggrin:

2 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

It was in 2016 and we probably had one of the first Chef’s Market Discoveries excursions for Cozumel. The participating chef showed up in his full work gear, in the Mexican heat with two cooler bags. We went to the local market and the chef bought local fresh fish, think up a menu and cook it for us on the Porch.

I understand it’s not a thing anymore and it’s “inspired by” now.

Agree on the chairs, in any restaurant those are some of the stickiest things around! :classic_biggrin:

You're right - these days, it's only "inspired".  Corporate became paranoid about the safety of the supply chain, apparently.  Too much trouble to vet smaller sellers at many individual ports.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

What my surprised is how that and decoration for the empty stations seems to be not performed through a standard operating procedure as far as we know?

Leaves room for the onboard culinary staff to use their skills and is quite nice for them. Even in food prep they have a bit of leeway for buffet foods. Chefs can put person touch on many foods. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/8/2024 at 6:13 PM, NMTraveller said:

Not much..stores are laid out like a maze..

Lots of furniture sold that you have to assemble..

I suppose setting up a household for the first time, it is a good place to buy plates, glasses, etc..

Edited by PTC DAWG

On 6/7/2024 at 6:24 AM, gold1953 said:

I should add that I sail Celebrity most cruises and see the same products that were being loaded that day on the RCCL ship

I felt an Ikea vibe from the Celebrity Solstice class ships from the get go.