No Lobster Sharing Allowed

Just now, time4u2go said:

I'm curious...what's the long story version of this?  Was there some sort of negotiation?  Did the head waiter get involved?

As the waiter was delivering the entrees, people who didn’t want the lobster started giving their plates to others at the table. The waiter immediately said sharing of lobster was not allowed. A few of them told the waiter to please take the lobster back since they weren’t going to eat it. At that point the waiter reluctantly said it was okay to share the lobster. The actual conversations were a little longer, but the summary above basically covers what happened. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Recently (probably the last year or so) we have been ordering the lobster tail as an appetizer since it isn't really a meal-sized tail.  At the same time, we order the chicken marsala as our main course.  We have done this on multiple ships and never had any pushback.  I think the "one main course at the time" was a short-lived mandate that most now ignore.  I suppose it's possible that some of the hotel managers are still pushing it but I think they are few.

Never had a problem with multiple apps, entrees and desserts. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

It's a tiny lobster. Sharing would be a bite

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

The sharing rules are there to prevent waste. I'm not saying you would waste any in this scenario but I bet it happened a lot

How much waste can there be in a couple of bites?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Craziness. Just off Wonder yesterday. We even told our waiter in advance I would be eating my wife's lobster and he took it upon himself to put two tails on my plate and brought her actual entree.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Craziness. Just off Wonder yesterday. We even told our waiter in advance I would be eating my wife's lobster and he took it upon himself to put two tails on my plate and brought her actual entree.

That has been my experience prior to this cruise. 

• Like 1

My guess is that since Royal got stingy with the lobsters the waitstaff have been told to make sure no one is getting more free lobster than permitted, and this waiter misinterpreted that directive. Anyway, once it leaves the kitchen it's not going back so too late to do anything about it. Sounds like a training issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Wow, glad I don't eat lobster!  Or eat in MDR.  

I no longer eat in the MDR either. Back in the day they seemed to be concerned with how you dressed. Now they seem to be more concerned with how you eat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, nelblu said:

Never had a problem with multiple apps, entrees and desserts. 

currently on Ovation.  Waiter (My time dining) said we could not order multiple entrees and had to finish one before ordering the next.  It was our first and last  time ever (for various reasons) eating in the main dining room.

Edited by Jkaczanowski

1 hour ago, Jkaczanowski said:

currently on Ovation.  Waiter (My time dining) said we could not order multiple entrees and had to finish one before ordering the next.  It was our first and last  time ever (for various reasons) eating in the main dining room.

Just curious, but will you be eating in the WJ or paying for specialty dining? I’m sure that’s what they are hoping people will do.

1 hour ago, Jkaczanowski said:

It was our first and last  time ever (for various reasons) eating in the main dining room.

Wouldn’t it be easier just to request a different waiter or is this policy ship wide?

8 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

OK, the big question:

Where did your designated lobster go (all two ounces of it)?

🤔

As I noted in post, I don't eat in MDR (prefer the grab and go) so have no clue.  I do like to read posts about MDR to see if I may be enticed to go.  I do always figure out when lobster night is because it's when Windjammer is empty.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

As I noted in post, I don't eat in MDR (prefer the grab and go) so have no clue.  I do like to read posts about MDR to see if I may be enticed to go.  I do always figure out when lobster night is because it's when Windjammer is empty.

I was joking in reference to another post where it was mentioned that there has to be at least one lobster per passenger per sailing which has a formal "lobster night".

Since you did not go to MDR, my joke was, "Who got the lobster that was allotted for your sailing since you were not there to eat it?"

While I like lobster, I rarely eat it. I would not go out of my way to get it and was not deeply affected when they limited it to one.

Like many people have stated on this post, I would gladly give mine to someone who really enjoys it while ordering something else.

34 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I was joking in reference to another post where it was mentioned that there has to be at least one lobster per passenger per sailing which has a formal "lobster night".

Since you did not go to MDR, my joke was, "Who got the lobster that was allotted for your sailing since you were not there to eat it?"

While I like lobster, I rarely eat it. I would not go out of my way to get it and was not deeply affected when they limited it to one.

Like many people have stated on this post, I would gladly give mine to someone who really enjoys it while ordering something else.

np.  Serves me right for reading CC before coffee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We’ve never seen this happen luckily. Possibly the server is new and afraid of what will happen to him if they see….I can’t think of any other reason other than him being afraid of his job. I order the lobster, but don’t like it and give it to my DH, but then I’m usually full from appetizers and don’t even order another entree.
Royal has never said we can’t order more than one entree, and we sometimes do order an extra entree just to try something new that we’re not sure we’ll like. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I was always curious if they served lobster in the WJ on lobster night.  Do they?

20 hours ago, RFerrington said:

Recently (probably the last year or so) we have been ordering the lobster tail as an appetizer since it isn't really a meal-sized tail.  At the same time, we order the chicken marsala as our main course.  We have done this on multiple ships and never had any pushback.  I think the "one main course at the time" was a short-lived mandate that most now ignore.  I suppose it's possible that some of the hotel managers are still pushing it but I think they are few.

Never thought of that! That’s what DH will do now. Thanks for the idea!

• Like 1

We are being treated like 3 year olds by the cruise line.  "You can only have the lobster after you make a happy plate with your steak".  "You can't share your free tiny lobster even though you technically paid for it".  

I suspect this is an inexperienced staff incident, but not being able to eat my steak and lobster both at the same time bothers me and I would likely politely raise the issue with the Head Waiter.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I was always curious if they served lobster in the WJ on lobster night.  Do they?

Years ago they did. As a matter of fact there was tub’s full of them and next to them were the steaks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I remember 1 sailing they did on a TA on the Rhapsody in 2017.  Maybe a few others.  Not often though.  I believe on a December 2022 Voyager we had it (tails) plus shrimp.  Some of the scavengers I sailed with took the entire bowl of shrimp to their table for the whole family.  It was an interesting cruise!

8 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Wouldn’t it be easier just to request a different waiter or is this policy ship wide?

Unless he’s really bad it’s easier to move to a new table. 

4 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Or the MDR is full😜

• Like 1