Live from Liberty; part I of b2b

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from sadiwest! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

sadiwest was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Dh and I are on day 3 of a 5 night with a 9 night kicker.

First time on Liberty.  Yes I see wear and tear in general but so far it's been great.  Literally the only thing we've been bothered by (and not really bothered) was a reaction to our requests.

Dh called to ask for extra towels.  There were multiple questions like "don't you have some" and "you really need more towels"? Similar situations when there was a seating snafu after we moved to early seating from my time.  I explained we had my time dining but switched on day 2, yet everyone I spoke to told me our table number is on my card. It wasn't.  

Those things (and the insanely loud/drunk lady at Sabor when we were eating my birthday dinner) are not that significant.   Everyone has been great....both staff and passengers.   

The only thing that keeps standing out to me on this ship...the way the public areas are set up. Walking along, then there's a cluster of something (seats/tables/something else), then nothing.   It's got a weird flow to it.  I legit can't explain it.   Not a bad thing just different.  

Anyway here we are on Liberty if anyone has a question.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Glad you're not letting the little things bother you.

That said, reactions like that to basic requests like more towels just blow my mind. We never experience stuff like that. We don't ask for much but on day one we always ask for extra towels and ice each day... and our attendant is always happy to provide them for the rest of the cruise.

No questions. Hope you enjoyed Sabor (my perfect ship would have both Playmakers and Sabor) and enjoy the rest of the B2B!

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1

Just now, OCSC Mike said:

Glad you're not letting the little things bother you.

That said, reactions like that to basic requests like more towels just blow my mind. We never experience stuff like that. We don't ask for much but on day one we always ask for extra towels and ice each day... and our attendant is always happy to provide them for the rest of the cruise.

No questions. Hope you enjoyed Sabor (my perfect ship would have both Playmakers and Sabor) and enjoy the rest of the B2B!

Thank you.

Literally am blown away that people feel they need to either qualify your request or "prove" that we are mistaken in some way.

The other thing was that dh brought medicine that requires refrigeration.   The cabin steward brought him a plug in cooler.  What I don't get is....what's the point of having the mini fridge if it's not cold enough.  That was the reason she said she was giving him the cooler. 

That, and it's plugged into one of only two outlets we have. Lll

45 minutes ago, JMToke said:

I will be doing the B2B in September. Also my first time on Liberty. Looking forward to additional posts. Enjoy.

I will say there is no lunch on Liberty for b2b folks. Not a tragedy but was kind of looking forward to it. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sadiwest said:

Thank you.

Literally am blown away that people feel they need to either qualify your request or "prove" that we are mistaken in some way.

The other thing was that dh brought medicine that requires refrigeration.   The cabin steward brought him a plug in cooler.  What I don't get is....what's the point of having the mini fridge if it's not cold enough.  That was the reason she said she was giving him the cooler. 

The mini fridges are just coolers and that is all that they are on most of the ships.  We really enjoyed the Liberty, I hope you have a great cruise.

• Thanks 1

Liberty has a different flow and its one of my least liked ships. However I am going to Bermuda with my daughter and grand daughter this summer on Liberty from NJ .

It is what it is................

7 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

The lack of Playmaker’s on Liberty is its biggest negative in my book. 

7 hours ago, sadiwest said:

I will say there is no lunch on Liberty for b2b folks. Not a tragedy but was kind of looking forward to it. 

We did the same B2B last year, and again this September and next September. We did have the B2B last year. I wonder what changed?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The lack of Playmaker’s on Liberty is its biggest negative in my book. 

Same, I'm sailing Liberty next month and really looking forward to it...but I sure am going to miss Playmakers! And none of my family eat much Mexican, so Sabor probably won't even get utilized unless I go solo, lol. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, COCKYMARK said:

.what makes it different from the other freedom class ships? they are all basically the same right?

Other than a few minor venue differences, they are the same ship.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Sabor probably won't even get utilized unless I go solo

Sounds like a plan, lol! 30% off lunches for my Wonder next month right now and Sabor is pretty inexpensive. Just sayin...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Good  to hear a review on Liberty as there aren't many.  We just got off a 4 night on Liberty and had a great time.  Lots of activities, shows good for non-Oasis class (excellent cast for Saturday Night Fever).  We did the All Access Tour, which I recommend. And the pool  movie screen is fixed, which was a big complaint for a long time.

I was fine with the flow, although I do like to walk laps on deck 4 and it's a pain having to walk up to deck 5 to complete the circle (and then once we got upstairs, the front was closed for maitenance)

My only complaints

1.  Maybe we are spoiled with other Royal ships but our options for lunch or breakfast seemed slim....MDR or Windjammer (and Sorrentos if you wanted just pizza)

2.  With the one a day room cleaning, we had a day where our room attendant missed us and we had no cleaning.  We had to call for clean towels and this was at 10:30pm at night.  I don't blame him, but Royal with reducing each room to once, I'm sure they lose track of what they did and didn't do.

Other than than, we loved our liberty cruise.  Enjoy , and happy birthday!

Edited by LuCruise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, sadiwest said:

I know. There are so few outlets on these ships (especially the older ones) that a simple request like this throws so many things out of whack. Cruisers should bring non-surge suppressor multi-tap plugs.

71kZd7NaZKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Sizzlechest

9 hours ago, Karma5 said:

Liberty has a different flow and its one of my least liked ships. However I am going to Bermuda with my daughter and grand daughter this summer on Liberty from NJ .

I hate ships with decks that don't allow you to get from bow to stern. Deck 3 on the Liberty is like that. If you're in the MDR and want to get to the theater, you NEED to go up to deck 4 to get there.

12 hours ago, Karma5 said:

I don't hate it (it would take a lot to hate a cruise) but it's definitely different.   The feel/flow in general. 

11 hours ago, mets123 said:

We did the same B2B last year, and again this September and next September. We did have the B2B last year. I wonder what changed?

The letter didn't mention lunch so I asked. Maybe depends on how many b2b folks there are?  I'll find out in 2 days and let you all know.  

7 hours ago, COCKYMARK said:

Talking about the flow of the ship...what makes it different from the other freedom class ships? they are all basically the same right?

It's really hard to explain but ...    it's like clusters of something (seats/bar/etc) then nothingness until the next cluster on the other side of something (venue/elevator). 

It's just not a smooth flow from one public space to the next.

Perfect example is Windjammer. 

You first come to a seating area with a bar and small buffer station.  Go through a doorway to another section of seats and another row of stations.  Go through another "doorway" to yet more seats and more stations. It's not continuous, but rather clusters of seats/tables and stations.  

7 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Other than a few minor venue differences, they are the same ship.

I've not been on this class before so I'm comparing to other classes.

3 hours ago, Sizzlechest said:

I hate ships with decks that don't allow you to get from bow to stern. Deck 3 on the Liberty is like that. If you're in the MDR and want to get to the theater, you NEED to go up to deck 4 to get there.

Lol found that out the hard way. Worst part is I was being followed by a family who also wasn't familiar.  Lol 

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, sadiwest said:

Back in the day those mini fridge's actually worked pretty well.  Not 34 degrees well, but they did get drinks cold enough to enjoy.  Now they are too old and just don't do the job.  A tip that we use is to request a bucket of ice from the room steward daily and place the bucket in the mini fridge, and rotate with a new bucket daily.  It really helps get things much colder.

18 hours ago, sadiwest said:

Hubby had the same, no lunch, on Mariner B2B this week. I thought that it was strange.