No Lobster?

Lobster is available. Alas I have to look longingly whilst others enjoy it - being shellifsh allergic has that effect (trust me, anaphylaxis is not fun). 

1 hour ago, JT1101 said:

Lobster is available. Alas I have to look longingly whilst others enjoy it - being shellifsh allergic has that effect (trust me, anaphylaxis is not fun). 

No, it certainly wouldn’t be.

12 hours ago, safarigal said:

The surf and turf on gala nights on QA in PG was always prawns and not lobster when we were on board.

Of note was that not once during the 5 weeks we were on board did they serve escargot. Maybe the escargot dishes haven't arrived on board yet.

They had them in the Britannia one night I noticed, and also Guinea fowl, which wasn’t on the QG menu. But you can always ask…

8 hours ago, JT1101 said:

When did you last see lobster on offer in Britannia? Sightings seem to be very rare these days.

• Like 2

Just had the best lobster tail ever on MSC Yacht Club class. But it depends on the ship and provisioning. On Cunard you have to go grill class to avoid the Britannia mess. Either way expect to pay $500 pp per day these days for open bars, filet and lobster.

On 6/18/2024 at 4:01 PM, Mareblu said:

Both lobster (thermidor or mornay, etc.) and dover sole were available in QG on QA during our recent British Isles voyage.

Even lobster offer via Mornay is a kinda small portion in PG. 

44 minutes ago, DreamingOfSunnyDays said:

I mean it was commonplace in Britannia just a couple of years ago on gala nights- my wife even got two at once and you didn’t have to go on a luxury line or pay an extra £5000 for QG 🤷🏻‍♂️

Not any more. Not seen it recently over 2 ships. 

48 minutes ago, DreamingOfSunnyDays said:

I mean it was commonplace in Britannia just a couple of years ago on gala nights- my wife even got two at once and you didn’t have to go on a luxury line or pay an extra £5000 for QG 🤷🏻‍♂️

Alternatively pay the $20 supplement for the Fruits de Mer option in Verandah evening meal menu, on top of the $58 / $65 alternative dining charge. Maine Lobster features there.

Having looked at the wholesale price for lobster, it looks like it has risen by something like 40% over the last few years, and Cunard fares certainly have not increased by that amount, so something had to give. We've been through very high inflation in the UK (where most Cunard food is sourced), food inflation has been higher than national inflation (at one point 17% versus 10%), and seafood higher still (22%). The good news is that lobster and seafood prices wholesale appear to be falling so maybe it may come back.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

The good news is that lobster and seafood prices wholesale appear to be falling so maybe it may come back.

I wouldn't hold your breath. The general trend amongst cruise lines for several years has been that if something is removed as an economy measure then it never comes back

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, LadyL1 said:

Lobster size QM2 2005! Delicious.

In Britannia restaurant.

IMG_1671.jpeg

Ah, the good old days!   When lobster and all the trimmings were plentiful 😉

Edited by Kordy
  • Like 1

On 6/18/2024 at 11:46 PM, Kordy said:

I think if you want lobster, have to upgrade to a luxury cruise line 😉

Or book  Cunard Queens Grill. Plenty of Lobster available in QG  (May 2024) QM2  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Moving lobster and canapés to Grills only seems to be Cunard following Celebrity to suites focused.

More of the extras and upscale things focused on Grills and Retreat class and taken away from the standard cabins.

Unfortunate for the Britannia passenger but understandable marketing to enhance the aspirational value of upgrading.

Well as a Grill passenger (who doesn't even like lobster!), I can say that some of the cutbacks like no canapes in "Tourist" and greatly increased drink prices has managed to kill off a lot of the buzz and bustle of venues like the Commodore Club (at least on QV).  Hopefully, it will show in the bar receipts which is all that matters nowadays. The ying and yang of product and custom always prevails in the end...

49 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Moving lobster and canapés to Grills only seems to be Cunard following Celebrity to suites focused.

More of the extras and upscale things focused on Grills and Retreat class and taken away from the standard cabins.

Unfortunate for the Britannia passenger but understandable marketing to enhance the aspirational value of upgrading.

I would love for lobster to still be an option at least once during a gala night (happy to pay extra charge), in Brittania class.  It would make the cruise to have a more upscale feeling.  Only a small proportion of passengers splurge for QG class!

I was sailing with HAL and I liked how in the MDR they had an option to pay $10 extra to upgrade to a better cut of steak if you didn't want the sirloin cut.  And they did have a lobster available in MDR for a $20 upcharge. I love that it was an option to upgrade without paying for the full specialty restaurant. 

Does Cunard have something like that?