Poop of the Seas

Icon has to be the worst ship currently for issues with young kids in the pools. Every day on our sailing at least one pool was shut down due to a kid pooping or vomiting. It takes 4 hours to clean. We have never experienced anything like this on other ships.

If your kid isn’t potty trained then they have no business being anywhere around the pool. If your kid just ate then make them wait 30 mins or longer before getting in the pool.

I understand accidents sometimes happen but Royal needs to starts fining parents a cleaning fee and a lot of it would stop

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

Icon has to be the worst ship currently for issues with young kids in the pools. Every day on our sailing at least one pool was shut down due to a kid pooping or vomiting. It takes 4 hours to clean. We have never experienced anything like this on other ships.

If your kid isn’t potty trained then they have no business being anywhere around the pool. If your kid just ate then make them wait 30 mins or longer before getting in the pool.

I understand accidents sometimes happen but Royal needs to starts fining parents a cleaning fee and a lot of it would stop

I am a big fan of RCI, but they are terrible at enforcing their so called rules. Unfortunately I have witnessed several kids having accidents in a pool and every cruise I see passengers smoking all over the ship in places where smoking isn’t allowed. From what I have heard staff is trained not to be confrontational with passengers, which unfortunately leads to staff looking the other way when they witness passengers blatantly violating rules.  

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, CruisingHogFan said:

Definitely not just Icon.  Sailed on the Anthem at the end of april and it was a daily occurance.

• Like 3

@Scottdalfonso stated, contamination in the pools was a long thread just recently discussed and it seems as if it will be on ongoing problem.

As I stated in that thread, I sailed the Vision in April. When the one and only pool that all ages gets shutdown due to any reason, it really affects the vibe during the day.

@PhillyFan33579, you identify the weakness of staff enforcing the rules, hard to get a "10" from customers when you tell them something they do not want to hear let alone do. I do not think they get support from management when they do try and enforce the rules which leads to the "look the other way" on inappropriate behavior.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

This does seem to be an issue much more prevalent on Icon. In over 60 sailings I can only remember maybe a handful of times that I ever saw a pool closure due to an accident....and when I did see it  happen it was almost always was in the kid pool area. I just think that Icon may have tipped the breaking point in size...with so many passengers you are increasing the odds that much more  with all kinds of incidents. I love Oasis class and look forward to the new Utopia....but Icon for me holds no attraction at all...just too many people and much too kid focused. I will also agree with Royal not enforcing their own policies anymore.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

@Scottdalfonso stated, contamination in the pools was a long thread just recently discussed and it seems as if it will be on ongoing problem.

As I stated in that thread, I sailed the Vision in April. When the one and only pool that all ages gets shutdown due to any reason, it really affects the vibe during the day.

@PhillyFan33579, you identify the weakness of staff enforcing the rules, hard to get a "10" from customers when you tell them something they do not want to hear let alone do. I do not think they get support from management when they do try and enforce the rules which leads to the "look the other way" on inappropriate behavior.

If I see people doing disgusting things (swim diaper and consequences in a pool) and the staff does nothing when it’s brought to their attention, they will not be getting a 10 or anything not considered a detractor. That being said, I didn’t use the pool on my last cruise and they did get a good survey. I honestly don’t understand parents who think swim diapers in a pool, especially a public pool is okay. It’s really too bad that the purple die you see in movies isn’t a thing. (The movie Grownups at the water park, for reference).

• Like 4

There was a closure on Anthem Easter sail due to a child vomiting.  The lifeguard and other staff members spoke to the child parents and don’t know whether it was concern over Noro. 
The pool was closed for most of the day as they had to drain and scrub prior to refilling. Just wondering if it’s standard procedure to this extent due to a vomit. 

On February Anthem cruise the pool was closed one day due to an autistic boy drinking the salt pool water which induced vomit. 

It happens at anytime and been lucky that lifeguards a the oasis class and quantum class have not allowed anyone with diapers in the pools.   Maybe I’ve been lucky. 

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, nelblu said:

There was a closure on Anthem Easter sail due to a child vomiting.  The lifeguard and other staff members spoke to the child parents and don’t know whether it was concern over Noro. 
The pool was closed for most of the day as they had to drain and scrub prior to refilling. Just wondering if it’s standard procedure to this extent due to a vomit. 

On February Anthem cruise the pool was closed one day due to an autistic boy drinking the salt pool water which induced vomit. 

It happens at anytime and been lucky that lifeguards a the oasis class and quantum class have not allowed anyone with diapers in the pools.   Maybe I’ve been lucky. 

Yep- puke or poop, no matter what causes the pool to be closed for hours while they drain, clean and re-fill 

11 hours ago, CruisingHogFan said:

Icon has to be the worst ship currently for issues with young kids in the pools. Every day on our sailing at least one pool was shut down due to a kid pooping or vomiting.

Icon is a larger ship with more passengers.  With more passengers, you have more opportunity for such problems.  

11 hours ago, CruisingHogFan said:

Interesting idea, and since you're always on camera in the ship's public places, security can verify who's to blame.  

10 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I am a big fan of RCI, but they are terrible at enforcing their so called rules. Unfortunately I have witnessed several kids having accidents in a pool 

I have never seen this.  

10 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

From what I have heard staff is trained not to be confrontational with passengers, which unfortunately leads to staff looking the other way when they witness passengers blatantly violating rules.  

This I have seen -- yes, they're trained that "the customer is always right" and "gotta get that 10".  What they ignore is that by allowing Mr. Blowhard to have his way, they're disappointing a dozen Ms Easygoings who are watching. 

And the staff shouldn't have to accept abuse.  

3 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

In fairness the vast majority of pool closures are due to adults. A young child is only soiling the pool because their parents allow them to enter. 

That's true.  No un-potty-trained child is dressing himself in swim trunks and walking himself to the pool.  

• Like 2

I was on the 5/4 sailing that was indicated to be a disaster.  We were in the pools every day primarily in surfside.  Otherwise utilizing the waterslides. One case we were notified the royal bay pool was closed (it was around 7pm and was not roped off yet), and another case the surfside area was closed (roped off).  Both cases I think was on the 1st or 2nd sea day.  Otherwise we were not impacted by closures at all.  I did see cases where there was netting on pools at different times, but just didn't happen to impact us.

I do recall lifeguards continuously searching and inspecting the pools every few minutes, which either I just ignored on previous ships or it wasn't done as thoroughly.

I will say Royal dropped the ball on toddler areas.  They baby bay area is lackluster, Amped ships have more features. Along with lacking dry play areas for toddlers vs. other ships.

Finally, In the surfside pool I only saw it closed once and always had two lifeguards inspecting the water.  Which we frequented the most, and had small kids in it all day.  

all I have to say is I no longer wish to get into any of the pools unless it is first thing in the morning for a quick dip before everyone else.   just plain old Ewwwwww what is going on.

I am very annoyed with any crew member who look the other way and won't enforce the rules. Folks see others getting away with stuff and then they do it too.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

And if I see such behavior, I will certainly take it up with the perps...respectfully of course!  If their child is not potty trained, they are gonna hear from me.  I have no qualms about asking...it's my pool too.

Oh yeah, I'm right there with ya! After I heard about all of this "crap", I switched our regular room to a full suite on Icon next year, so hopefully, the adults and suite people will have better pool behavior. But, then again, ya never know! Happy cruising! Cheers!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

And if I see such behavior, I will certainly take it up with the perps...respectfully of course!  If their child is not potty trained, they are gonna hear from me.  I have no qualms about asking...it's my pool too.

You can try but they will probably just ignore you.

Around day 4 a kid pooped in one of the upper deck smaller pools. Dad tried to blame it on another kid but was called out on it from everyone around them. He got mad and left just to let the kid get into the main pool…. Staff didn’t do anything and knew what had happened as people were complaining.

7 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I have never seen this.  

You must be lucky. I have lost count of how many pools I have seen closed in the middle of the day for cleaning and/or draining due to a kid having an accident in the pool. I should clarify I have seen pools being closed due to a kid’s accident, but I have never witnessed the accident first hand (although I have seen the aftermath floating in the pool more than once). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

You must be lucky. I have lost count of how many pools I have seen closed in the middle of the day for cleaning and/or draining due to a kid having an accident in the pool. I should clarify I have seen pools being closed due to a kid’s accident, but I have never witnessed the accident first hand (although I have seen the aftermath floating in the pool more than once). 

Yes!  Three days on Oasis, the pool was closed.

It's the adults on both sides.  I'm not seeing how RCI could stop this possibly 

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Oh, sure, I've seen pools closed, but I have no idea WHY they were closed.  A kid having an accident is certainly one possibility, but I've never observed it "in progress" nor have I witnessed any "floating aftermath".  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I do not think they get support from management

Bingo. If a "10" is the only survey result that matters for crew, then management's expectations of the crew are unrealistic and they clearly don't actually care about the customer experience or feedback. Crew will then be much less likely to enforce anything that might cause a guest inconvenience.

Edited by notscb

I think the lack of enforcement is also at CoCay.  I go to the beach club, and while  I have not seen the pool closed,  each time I  was there I saw many  babies without diapers  in the pool . I asked a lifeguard about that  and he said they cannot enforce any rules as to toddlers there.  

11 hours ago, elizabethbp said:

I think the lack of enforcement is also at CoCay.  I go to the beach club, and while  I have not seen the pool closed,  each time I  was there I saw many  babies without diapers  in the pool . I asked a lifeguard about that  and he said they cannot enforce any rules as to toddlers there.  

Is there a sign stating that non-potty trained kids are excluded from these pools?  Because on the ship, it is not just a "rule", it is a USPH/CDC requirement for ships that call at US ports, but it only applies to the ship.  USPH/CDC has no jurisdiction over an island in the Bahamas, so if Bahamian law says it is okay, and there is no posted rule by RCI, then it is okay.  Similarly, the EU has the "ShipSan" sanitation program for cruise ships, very similar to the USPH/CDC VSP, but it makes no differentiation for kids in swim diapers.

13 hours ago, elizabethbp said:

I think if you are looking for any actual result around the pool , speaking to a lifeguard will be a waste of time (onboard the ship also). Seek out one of the supervisors roaming around in white shirts. In my experience , they seem much more likely to intervene. 

Cheers