Wine by the glass at bars

wilwin

Depends on what you like.   It is best to visit every bar and ask what they have in stock.  It changes from cruise to cruise and also during the cruise when they get restocked by the wine brought on at the cruise port.   The WCB,  Martini, and Craft  bars all serve wine and so does Cafe al Bacio.  There are also bars in the Buffet.  

if you like a certain style or type of wine ask as they might also have a bottle left over that they no longer stock. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

2 minutes ago, miched said:

It is best to visit every bar and ask what they have in stock.

One of the ways I have found to see as much of the ship as possible is to have at least one drink in every bar. 

In the restaurants I tend to follow the sommelier's pairing recommendations. 

3 hours ago, wilwin said:

I’m going on the Beyond in a week. I also have the upgraded drink package.  Which of the bars has the best selection of wines?

There are so many bars on Beyond it would be hard to say  

I would recommend you use the Celebrity app on your smart phone and look at the wine menu for each of the bars / restaurants.  That will give you a better idea of what's available and where.  

15 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I would recommend you use the Celebrity app on your smart phone and look at the wine menu for each of the bars / restaurants.  That will give you a better idea of what's available and where.  

I wish it worked that way all the time. Some of the time it does (especially in MDR), but I've found that the wine I am served is what I actually ordered about 50% of the time. Especially at the outdoor bars, you are likely to get whatever is open and (clutching the pearls) in a dishpan of ice that is remotely related to what you ordered.

Order a champagne off the menu, and you might get a prosecco. And the significant difference between a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc and a South African Sauvignon Blanc is totally lost on the "sommelier". I had the bar staff in the Sky Lounge on a Celebrity ship explain to me that the wine list was "just a suggestion, not something you can order from."

sauvignonblanc.jpg

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

I wish it worked that way all the time. Some of the time it does (especially in MDR), but I've found that the wine I am served is what I actually ordered about 50% of the time. Especially at the outdoor bars, you are likely to get whatever is open and (clutching the pearls) in a dishpan of ice that is remotely related to what you ordered.

Order a champagne off the menu, and you might get a prosecco. And the significant difference between a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc and a South African Sauvignon Blanc is totally lost on the "sommelier". I had the bar staff in the Sky Lounge on a Celebrity ship explain to me that the wine list was "just a suggestion, not something you can order from."

sauvignonblanc.jpg

For real?  That’s just silly…I hope nobody tries to pass me off Chardonnay I’m lieu of a NZ SB. 

1 hour ago, publicpersona said:

sauvignonblanc.jpg

Broke up laughing at “clutching the pearls”. I had to tell the wine steward (definitely not a sommelier) the difference between a Prosecco & a champagne (besides the price)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

wish it worked that way all the time. Some of the time it does (especially in MDR), but I've found that the wine I am served is what I actually ordered about 50% of the time. Especially at the outdoor bars, you are likely to get whatever is open and (clutching the pearls) in a dishpan of ice that is remotely related to what you ordered.

I must say I have never had that problem.  I guess that may be for two reasons - I ask for wines by their names vs just saying a merlot or malbec as and example.  Secondly, I ask to take a picture of the bottle.  I usually live blog my cruises and post pictures of the wines that I have not posted before. 

Order a champagne off the menu, and you might get a prosecco. And the significant difference between a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc and a South African Sauvignon Blanc is totally lost on the "sommelier".

If I want a New Zealand SB then I will tell the waiter / sommelier that I want a New Zeland SB.  That better be what he serves me - again, I ask to take a picture of the bottle.  

The only place I have run into true sommelier's was been in the restaurants and Cellar Masters.  Otherwise, they are usually bartenders and I would not really expect them to be that knowledgeable. 

I had the bar staff in the Sky Lounge on a Celebrity ship explain to me that the wine list was "just a suggestion, not something you can order from."

And I would have challenged him on that.  Granted they do not always have all of the wines on the wine list stocked onboard but the ones listed for that particular bar should be available if they are to be hand onboard. 

I guess sailing in the Retreat has spoiled me as far as getting what i ordered in the way of wine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, publicpersona said:

sauvignonblanc.jpg

The Sky Lounge bar wine list is a bit limited.  Only lower level wines.  I went there once and was not impressed.  It is a very nice venue but they should up their wine list.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NMTraveller said:

The Sky Lounge bar wine list is a bit limited.  Only lower level wines.  I went there once and was not impressed.  It is a very nice venue but they should up their wine list.  

This is one of the reasons that I stopped drinking wine is most of the bars, Cellar Masters being an exception. I drink most of my wine with my meals.  Otherwise, I am having a cocktail when I go to a bar.  Just seems to work out better in the end. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

This is one of the reasons that I stopped drinking wine is most of the bars, Cellar Masters being an exception. I drink most of my wine with my meals.  Otherwise, I am having a cocktail when I go to a bar.  Just seems to work out better in the end. 

Agreed.  The dining rooms,  Cellar Masters,  and Sunset Bar (for champagne) are the best venues.  We did frequent the Martini Bar for martinis even though we only drink wine at home.

Edited by NMTraveller

1 minute ago, NMTraveller said:

Agreed.  The dining rooms,  Cellar Masters,  and Sunset Bar (for champagne) are the best venues.  We did frequent the Martini Bar for martinis even though we only drink wine at home.

I cannot remember the last time I order champagne outside of the Retreat Lounge or a restaurant.  I'll have to try it on our cruise in April.  

My go to drink at the Sunset bar before dark is either a Kettle one and diet tonic or a Zacapa Old Fashioned, and after dark a Side Car or a Zacapa Old Fashioned.  I guess there is a theme here. 

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

I ask for wines by their names vs just saying a merlot or malbec as and example.

As do I.

That better be what he serves me - again, I ask to take a picture of the bottle.  

Again, as do I .. like the one I posted.

And I would have challenged him on that.

Like to a duel perhaps. No, my immediate goal was to enjoy a glass of wine. It isn't a problem at all for me to be told they do not have my selection from the wine list. What I object to is NOT to be told that, but served something the bar staff thinks would be the same thing. But taking up the issue with that particular bar staff at that time and place isn't how I handle it. I just drink what's available, comment about on the survey, and mention it on Cruise Critic from time to time.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

The Sky Lounge bar wine list is a bit limited.

I'm afraid that wine drinkers are at a disadvantage on Celebrity (and also other lines) compared to those who like martinis, highballs, pool drinks with umbrellas, and even beers. When Cellar Masters was actually devoted to wines, it was a good place to drink wine. But where they still exist, they are stocked as a bar with no more wine choices than on the pool deck. I will say again that I've found the MDR to have good wine service, if you can get anyone's attention.

29 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I cannot remember the last time I order champagne outside of the Retreat Lounge or a restaurant.  I'll have to try it on our cruise in April.  

My go to drink at the Sunset bar before dark is either a Kettle one and diet tonic or a Zacapa Old Fashioned, and after dark a Side Car or a Zacapa Old Fashioned.  I guess there is a theme here. 

I will have to try a Zacapa Old Fashioned ...

2 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Wine on any of the packages is disappointing. Only way to get a decent glass is if you’re willing to pay an up charge. JMO but it was probably the most, if not only disappointment on our most recent cruise. 

If wine impacts your cruise that much, you may want to consider Silversea.  Not only are many of their bottles priced at or near shore side retail (some actually a few bucks less than at home!), they have a reasonable depth and breadth in their cellars.  And ... we had a L2 and a L3 CMS sommelier available for discussion/choices for some with which I wasn't familiar.  They definitely try harder than X does.

• Thanks 1

Outside a true wine bar on land, maybe Cellar Master at one time, wine by the glass has never been great wine. I’ve been to a handful of restaurants (probably one or two, really) that had great by the glass offerings, usually because they did tasting menus with wine pairings priced accordingly. That isn’t any bar on Celebrity. And very few on land, frankly. 

12 minutes ago, canderson said:

If wine impacts your cruise that much, you may want to consider Silversea.  Not only are many of their bottles priced at or near shore side retail (some actually a few bucks less than at home!), they have a reasonable depth and breadth in their cellars.  And ... we had a L2 and a L3 CMS sommelier available for discussion/choices for some with which I wasn't familiar.  They definitely try harder than X does.

How are you counting levels? There are only about 280 Master Sommeliers in the world. That would be the third level, unless you’re counting the introductory course. Did they have a Master Sommelier on the ship (red pin)? That would be astounding, and very impressive. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, markeb said:

How are you counting levels? There are only about 280 Master Sommeliers in the world. That would be the third level, unless you’re counting the introductory course. Did they have a Master Sommelier on the ship (red pin)? That would be astounding, and very impressive. 

?  4 levels, not 3 in the CMS (Court of Master Sommeliers) program.  #4 is the real ball buster.

1 is Introductory

2 is Certified

3 is Advanced

4 is Master

2 minutes ago, canderson said:

?  4 levels, not 3 in the CMS (Court of Master Sommeliers) program.  #4 is the real ball buster.

1 is Introductory

2 is Certified

3 is Advanced

4 is Master

OK. CMS isn’t clear on how they consider the introductory course. They really name things, not number them. The pin for Introductory just says “Introductory Course”. Certified is the first level that says “Sommelier “. The folks I know who are Certified really consider that the first level. Which is why I asked. An Advanced Sommelier is nothing to sneeze at on a ship!

Inside baseball quibbling. 🍷

10 hours ago, markeb said:

I’ve been to a handful of restaurants (probably one or two, really) that had great by the glass offerings, usually because they did tasting menus with wine pairings priced accordingly.

I have managed to find, with the help of the sommelier, a few hidden gems in Tuscan and Murano.  Restaurants typically have better selections than bars onboard in our experience.  Cellar Masters has been the exception to that rule.  We have had some nice wines by the glass there, although the focus seems to be more on bottles than glasses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, wilwin said:

I’m going on the Beyond in a week. I also have the upgraded drink package.  Which of the bars has the best selection of wines?

Thanks

My take is the MDR.  I was frustrated that several of my favorites that were listed in the wine menu were not available.  So I relied on recommendations.  Not alot of choices due to supply issues I was told.  

Prices have gone up on the wine list.  There was a bottle of wine sold locally for $9 a bottle was selling in the Premium package on our last cruise.  Used to be on the Classic.

16 hours ago, publicpersona said:

sauvignonblanc.jpg

That must be an older pic…on the Silhouette in May this year the Villa Maria was $15. That’s my go to on Celebrity and totally agree with you about the difference between the VM, or most other NZ SB for that matter,  and those from either S. Africa or even Chile. I enjoyed the Villa Maria in all venues except Ensemble which for some reason had a run on corked bottles. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1