July 1st changes: Air program, Comparisons and Summer Sale

WESTEAST

It should be noted that the Summer Sale fares are not combinable with OCAPP (free pre-paid gratuities that are a perk from some agencies). This is not listed in the T&C specifically, so if you have a booking and are running numbers on re-faring, take this into account. 

Further, there is a Your World Your Way that will be running July 15-31, 2024. It is an exclusive between O and a large agency, and will offer free gratuities, on Balcony and higher cabins, new bookings only. 

First, let me say that @FlyerTalker could probably address this issue in more detail and hopefully he joins in.

Background, I recently ( and foolishly) agreed to host and lead another wine group tour in 2025 and have been working with the sponsor on the details. What I have learned:

The world has changed quickly and dramatically in the past couple of years. Travel, both domestically and internationally has exploded. To point what this means is that (1) the airlines have significantly reduced the number of bulk discounted tickets they sell along with the flights they even offer them on; (2) the procedures of when and how much must be paid for those tickets have also been changed. We now have more competition for fewer seats, that must be paid for earlier.

I believe it is impractical for Oceania to even attempt to hedge air prices, within individual cruise fares, two years out. An important thing to remember:NCLH runs it air department as a profit center. It’s there as a convenience for its customers, a convenience those customers should expect to pay a premium for.

In effect what Oceania is now doing is shifting the air travel risk to the clients. Call us, after 270 days pre-cruise and we’ll check the market. If any of the bulk air discounts are available, we’ll price them to you, with our mark up. If not, we’ll price the available go rate to you, with our mark up. In today’s air market, those that like to wait last minute will probably get a crushing price with poor connections. 

Many of Oceania’s customers frequently pay significantly for the many conveniences that O offers. Hotel stays, transfers, shore tours, and now air fare. They still treat you like an adult and allow you to DIY all the above if you so choose. If you don’t like their mark up, then DIY. If you opt to pay their convenience charges, you can do that likewise. 

In most cases, I wouldn’t want to wait until 4-5 months out to lock down air, or decent air, in today’s international markets. Will probably become the greatest identifier of the Lookie Loos, they’re the ones with cruise Payment in Full approaching and no air.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, jonthomas said:

What is Your world your way?

Sorry, that should have said "there is a Your World Your Way Sale that will be running". It's the name of the sale that is referenced. 

45 minutes ago, terry&mike said:

Sorry, that should have said "there is a Your World Your Way Sale that will be running". It's the name of the sale that is referenced. 

Of course there is another sale coming. And another, then another.

Oceania is going to be running a Sale! 😂. Who’s thunk it! 🤔

• Like 2

Hmm, the comparison table is a bit misleading at best and downright dishonest at worst.  They get several things wrong with both Princess and HAL.  Got to love marketing/advertising folks pushing the envelope.  🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, terry&mike said:

Do you have any info on this sale...

23 hours ago, pinotlover said:

First, let me say that @FlyerTalker could probably address this issue in more detail and hopefully he joins in.

Background, I recently ( and foolishly) agreed to host and lead another wine group tour in 2025 ….. 

Pinotlover, pls email me at RobinKPhD at icloud dot com. Would love to hear more about your wine tour.

I am a nice person and (almost) everybody likes me! 🥰

We’ve never used O Air, we’ve always booked our own, as we prefer to fly at times and in seats that suit us.  Speaking to our TA this week, she said the biggest complaint O got was about flights, mainly caused by the airlines changing flight times and routes, which was outside of O’s control. 

We have a quote from end of June for a 10 day next year that was a part of their sale which included 66 itineraries. No air. Today it is $2k more. This comparison is before gratuities/ drink packages or TA discounts. This big price jump may have mostly occurred with the 66 itineraries. 

On 7/6/2024 at 8:22 AM, iowananny said:

I can vouch for Robin.  She's a lovely person who is very easy to get along with.  We shared a cruise several years ago and enjoyed her very much.

Thanks! Hope y’all are doing well! 

Posted (edited)

I just did a mock booking to repriced our March 2025 Marina cruise without air and the prices are now $1000pp more than when we booked with SM last year. I also tried pricing the cruise with the O air in BC and they are quoting over $1400pp higher than what we paid in May by booking direct with American Airlines.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Are these the same sailings that are offered in the summer sale?

It is the May 8 Barcelona to Rome itinerary I was referring to, and was part of the summer Sale. B4 is now $2k more without air comparison. If you add in gratuities and drink package, you are up against the luxury cruise price range in a smaller cabin, and on a larger ship. If you don’t add the drink package, you are still close. 
We hesitated because of the Jubilee next year in Italy. The end date coincides within 2 days of one of their events. We felt that the planned land trip post cruise could be impacted, and pushed our return to Italy into 2026. 

Edited by Vineyard View

50 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I just did a mock booking to reprice our March 2025 Marina cruise without air and the prices are now $1000pp more than when we booked with SM last year....

5 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

... and was part of the summer Sale. B4 is now $2k more without air comparison....

So, with that $12 billion debt NCL has, O is both cutting costs and raising prices. That debt requires profits to pay down, since the markets aren't inclined to let them roll the debt over or ad to it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

So, with that $12 billion debt NCL has, O is both cutting costs and raising prices. That debt requires profits to pay down, since the markets aren't inclined to let them roll the debt over or ad to it.

That is the same accounting spin that drove us away from Celebrity's Retreat suites that increased as much as 40% this year. Celebrity was asking more for a Sky Suite than an A category Concierge cabin on comparable Oceania itineraries, so we switched to Oceania.🤔

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Received an Oceania Your World brochure last week in the mail. There are no prices in this brochure and have to go  to  Oceania web site to see them and they do not list with or without air.

Edited by Acrusa

30 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

I get it. Truly. But that response is what pushes consumers to look at other companies, regardless of whether they are a cruise line or not.  Oceania is now pricing themselves up against luxury lines.
Itinerary is incredibly important to us, along with cost pp/pd. If a luxury line has an attractive itinerary, and we can sail for not much difference in price over a premium line with larger ships, it’s a decision that makes sense, maybe not for all, but for us. Options are good. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

I just did a mock booking to repriced our March 2025 Marina cruise without air and the prices are now $1000pp more than when we booked with SM last year. I also tried pricing the cruise with the O air in BC and they are quoting over $1400pp higher than what we paid in May by booking direct with American Airlines.

Terrydtx, did you need to make a phone call to get a quote for BC air?

For our March 2025 cruise, the SM price increased by $300 a person.  

9 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Terrydtx, did you need to make a phone call to get a quote for BC air?

For our March 2025 cruise, the SM price increased by $300 a person.  

No, with the new air online option you have a place to choose Economy of FC/BC pricing. No phone call is needed. There is not anywhere I could see to choose your dates and any flight deviations, that I could find, I assume you do this when you book by calling.