Hope all are safe on the Alaska Denali cruises due to the fire

Posted (edited)

According to this article they closed Denali National Park are are evacuating. A spark from a Holland America train is thought to have started the fire (this has not been proven, just speculation).

Denali National Park closed as crews

fight wildfire at height of tourist season

https://alaskapublic.org/2024/07/01/denali-national-park-bars-visitors-as-wildfire-burns-near-entrance/

image.png.f7ff9d845f4b43fd364b4929ef088ab1.png

https://alaskapublic.org/2024/07/01/denali-national-park-bars-visitors-as-wildfire-burns-near-entrance/

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

Fires also up in the Fairbanks area.  We flew through smoke from Chicken to Tok and were down to 3 statute miles.  Glad we got through.  

https://www.nps.gov/dena/index.htm

Last I heard there is close to 200 fires burning in Alaska.

Glad the Mods merged the threads. There is also a thread going on the Alaska board.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Minoushka said:

What is plan B?

we are com8ng July 14 

Fire is listed as 0% contained. They just extended park closure to include today (Tuesday July 2nd). Several articles published on how they have evacuated all tourists. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

OMG what a heartache ....I hope all ok 

so disappointed will not see Alaska as planned ..boohoo 

has anyone heard what the cruise companyis doing to substitute denali with 

extra day in anchorage and dawson city ?

i hope they put it out quickly but I.m sure damage  will be considerable..Poor Denali 

3 minutes ago, Minoushka said:

OMG what a heartache ....I hope all ok 

so disappointed will not see Alaska as planned ..boohoo 

has anyone heard what the cruise companyis doing to substitute denali with 

extra day in anchorage and dawson city ?

i hope they put it out quickly but I.m sure damage  will be considerable..Poor Denali 

You aren't going for 12 days.  A lot can happen. Currently it looks like they have held the line so no buildings are in danger. If the weather cooperates they can have the fire contained before you leave. I wouldn't expect an alternate plan from cruise lines anytime soon. 

Well cleanup wont be easy nor getting rid of burnt smell ...no I really think ours will be cancelled ...whata shame ..the highlight of my cruise boohoo

4 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Fire is listed as 0% contained. They just extended park closure to include today (Tuesday July 2nd). Several articles published on how they have evacuated all tourists. 

I've read a few articles, but unclear - have they evacuated all tourists from McKinley Chalet? I heard that they had evacuated folks from some camping areas, but sounded like campers were allowed to stay in other areas if they were already there.  The HAL tweet about the Chalet "currently experiencing service disruptions" is vague.

I know it's still early, but we leave Anchorage by train on 7/17 to spend three nights in Denali.   Yes I know Denali and trains are both closed right now (7/2/24)   I feel it will probably be changed or cancelled even two weeks from now.  Just wondering if anyone has any information about what Holland might do or what options might be available?  Has anyone been impacted in the past by a fire at Denali and what was done?  I know we might not know until the last minute, but I would just like to know what to expect.  So I'm starting a thread for Denali fire impacted land tours.  

Please share info as you get it from HAL.  I know there will be thousands of travelers impacted and I know this will be a big problem for all cruise tours. Prayers they can contain the fire quickly and for the Alaskans impacted. 

Hi,

We have a landcruise starting next week in Denali on Thursday, July 11th through July 14 where we take the train to Whitier.

Does anyone have any updates on what HAL will do if the park is still closed?  

Will it be close?  

Holland America Line Cruise Friends Alaska - Facebook Page

Steve Cole  ·   · 

Ask Our Travel Advisor - Denali - A wildfire in Alaska’s Denali National Park and Preserve caused disruptions to several resorts, including Holland America’s McKinley Chalet Resort and the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge. The Riley Fire was first reported on Sunday and spread to 350 to 400 acres in a matter of hours, covering the area across the Nenana River from the McKinley Chalet Resort, one mile from the park entrance.

As power outages spread across the area, Holland America’s McKinley resort is experiencing service disruptions while Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge, located less than a half a mile from McKinley Chalet, has closed to new arrivals.

Princess has also closed its Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge within the park, and its Fairbanks Princess Riverside Lodge, located in Fairbanks, Alaska, another gateway into Denali.

“Due to the impact of the Riley wildfire in the Denali National Park area, we have closed Denali, Mt. McKinley and Fairbanks to new arrivals,” the company announced.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Denali Borough

· 

RILEY WILDLAND FIRE UPDATE - JULY 3 - 7:00 AM

The Riley Fire in Denali National Park and Preserve was described as 25% contained by Tuesday evening and has burned an estimated 388 acres. The fire activity has been smoldering and creeping in steep terrain about a mile north of the park entrance. Cloudy, cooler temperatures are aiding the firefighting efforts. Two interagency hotshot crews from the Lower 48, the Mill Creek and Golden Eagles Hotshots, are fully engaged with firefighting efforts.

Air quality north of the Riley Fire in the Healy area has an AQI of 133 as of 6:30 AM which is considered unhealthy for sensitive groups. The air quality south of the Riley Fire has an AQI below 50 which is considered moderate. For Real-time air quality conditions you can go to: https://map.purpleair.com

Golden Valley Electric Association provided the following update regarding power in the Nenana Canyon area: “Power has been restored to those affected by the #RileyFire for the evening, as all firefighters are in the clear and their efforts have ceased for the day. The line will be deenergized and power will go out at 8 a.m. tomorrow morning when crews resume work on fire suppression.” Updates will be posted later today when available on the Golden Valley Electric Association social media page(s).

Denali National Park tour and transit bus service will remain suspended on Wednesday, July 3. All visitor facilities and park trails remain closed, and the park remains closed to private vehicles and day use visitors. Park campgrounds will close at 11:00am on Wednesday. As of yet, there is no anticipated date when these facilities will open or operations will resume.

The Alaska Railroad announced Tuesday afternoon that they will have modified service as follows: “Northbound passengers will travel by train between Anchorage and Talkeetna, and between Healy and Fairbanks. Transportation between Talkeetna, Denali, and Healy will be provided by motorcoach. Southbound passengers will travel by train between Fairbanks and Healy, and between Talkeetna and Anchorage. Transportation between Healy, Denali, and Talkeetna will be provided by motorcoach.”

The Parks Highway remains open and unthreatened.

The Canyon Clinic intends to remain open for emergency medical service from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM. The clinic is operating on generator power and is unable to offer routine services.

The exact cause of the fire is unknown. A fire investigator will be brought in to conduct an investigation and provide more details on how the fire started. This person has not been assigned yet.

A team from the Red Cross and the Salvation Army have established the Tri-Valley School in Healy as an evacuation location for anyone needing shelter and support.

Some areas remain in Evacuation Status is as follows:

Red – Go!: All Bison Gulch and Antler Ridge hikers, Riley Creek Campground and all employees housed at the Denali National Park Joint Venture facility:

ANYONE IN RED AREAS SHOULD EVACUATE.

Yellow – Set: There are currently no locations in “set”.

Green – Ready: The Nenana Canyon area (aka Glitter Gulch), Denali National Park Headquarters, C-Camp.

Anyone in GREEN areas should stay alert and monitor for evacuation status updates.

If you are still in the Denali area but have had your tour impacted due to the fire, other local businesses in Healy, Carlo Creek, McKinley Village and Cantwell are operating as normal with local excursions and tours still operating as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here is the latest Riley Fire update (from https://www.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/f3a2b5b11466438e85fffca787542df8 ):

Riley
2024-AKTAD-000318
IRWINID: {2AA8AA51-8041-49C4-8B02-69A9DAECAE7F}
WF - Wildfire

Discovered at 6/30/2024, 4:17 PM.
Origin is AKDEP-Denali National Park and Preserve.
Strategy is Full Suppression.
The reported cause is Human.
The reported size is 388 ac.

Fire narrative: Minimal fire behavior today, interior smoldering. Crews continued reinforcing lines on right flank and constructing south flank to the rocks. Crews went direct on the north flank and will establish indirect line from the river tomorrow. Containment was misreported at 25% yesterday. Actual containment is 5%. No increase in fire or containment today.

Posted (edited)

« Riley Fire Updates

7/3/2024 1:00PM Update

July 03, 2024 Posted by: Emily Miller

Progress is being made on efforts to contain the Riley Fire, active in the entrance area of Denali National Park and Preserve. Fire crews continue to focus their efforts on the fire’s southern flank, the portion of the fire closest to facilities and infrastructure. As of Wednesday morning, July 3, crews report 25% containment. Fire size remains stable at an estimated 388 acres, with low fire activity overnight. Cooler and calmer weather is helping crews with containment efforts.  

As of early Wednesday, two additional helicopters have been deployed to assist fire crews, bringing the total to four. An additional wildland fire crew has joined efforts on the ground with two interagency hotshot crews already engaged on the incident, and a strike team of engines has been added in efforts to secure both flanks. Two fire investigators are on site to investigate the cause of the fire.  

Park tour and transit bus service remain suspended. All visitor facilities and park trails remain closed, and the park remains inaccessible to private vehicles and day use visitors. Park campgrounds closed at 11:00am today.  

Although park operations remain suspended, local businesses in the area are still open and visitors are encouraged to take advantage of the many other opportunities to recreate in the Denali area. Additional information can be found at denalichamber.com.  

Cooperation between the Denali Borough, National Park Service, and all cooperating agencies has been fantastic and has contributed to the success of fire management operations thus far.  

As of yet, there is no anticipated date as to when park facilities will reopen or operations resume.  

Stay informed about Alaska’s current wildfires, red flag warnings, and more by visiting https://akfireinfo.com.

Tourists may also want to look at Fairbanks North Star Borough fire information as well.  There are several large fires and smoke in and around the Fairbanks area. 

Edited by AKJonesy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1