RoyalUp "Pending"?

Cruise is 24 days away...

A while ago, I put in four RoyalUp bids for four different category upgrades...

Until moments ago, they all said "Submitted".

Just moments ago, one changed to "Pending"...The other three now sat "Expired"...

Who can read tea leaves?

Is this good news?  Or false hope?

• Haha 1

it just happened to me.  In a few minutes they should try to apply your bid amount to your credit card.  If the charge goes through, you should receive and email that says congratulations.  Also, check your credit card to see if the charge has been made.  When you see that charge, you got it.  It is a good feeling :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Is this good news?

Good news. It usually means your bid was accepted for the one that is pending.

13 minutes ago, BNR091496 said:

I have a cruise in about 22 days and have a couple bids out there - How soon til we know?  I thought you found out the day of?

Can come at any time between the bid & embarkation day.

could someone please explain this royal up deal

we only sailed once on RC and have the next one for next year

seems there were alot of changes between then and now

Guess what?  It just came through...

We had an OV guarantee...and they assigned us one of the worst cabins on the Serenade of the Seas (15 night Baltic segment of World Cruise)...#2018--One of few guest cabins on LOW mostly crew quarters deck...with only a small porthole for a window...

We just got the move to #7518...A balcony cabin on Deck 7 Forward...

• Like 16

8 minutes ago, dznypal said:

could someone please explain this royal up deal

we only sailed once on RC and have the next one for next year

seems there were alot of changes between then and now

Within around 30-45 days of the cruise, they give you the opportunity to "bid" on an upgrade...

They give you minimum bid amounts and it's up to you if its worth it to submit a bid...

If cabins in that category aren't available, it won't make much of a difference...but, if some are or come available, your bid gets considered vs. any others...If you "win", they charge your credit card the amount you bid (per person)...and upgrade you...but you cannot pick your new cabin...it's whatever was available.

2 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

We had an OV guarantee...and they assigned us one of the worst cabins on the Serenade of the Seas (15 night Baltic segment of World Cruise)...#2018--One of few guest cabins on LOW mostly crew quarters deck...with only a small porthole for a window...

Congrats!!!! Have a great cruise. 

3 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

At least you never have to wait long for an Elevator, always empty when you board. Me and my Kids always liked Deck 2 or 3 being close to the Water. 

8 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Just moments ago, one changed to "Pending"...The other three now sat "Expired"...

Who can read tea leaves?

Just got mine today and it said the exact same thing.   Pending, then the email came I went from interior to Oceanview balcony 

Excited 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

congrats! Sounds like a definite step-up on your cabin!

We've been successful several times with our Royal up bids, and there doesn't seem to be a "formula" for how much? when will you find out? But, ours have usually been awarded within the last week before sailing. I think once we got one maybe a month before the cruise, but that was probably shortly after Covid when the ships were still sailing 1/2 full.....

Have a great cruise!

On 7/2/2024 at 3:44 PM, Bruin Steve said:

Who can read tea leaves?

My reading says "good news"!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Congrats all on the "wins". 

We just got our notice of the room change the other day - 17 days out from the cruise.  This improved our success rate since we now have like 4 of 7 successful bids.  All of them did go pending as  others stated (but wasn't watching this last one, just noticed the room change in the app).   All of the successful bids have been around a month or so out, this one was the closest to the actual sail date.  

Edited by wdwkings

2 minutes ago, wdwkings said:

Congrats all on the "wins". 

We just got our notice of the room change the other day - 17 days out from the cruise.  This improved our success rate since we now have like 4 of 7 successful bids.  All of them did go pending as  others stated (but wasn't watching this last one, just noticed the room change in the app).   All of the successful bids have been around a month or so out, this one was the closest to the actual sail date.  

I'm 0 for 3 so far.  I got an email all three times the day of the cruise that I was unsuccessful.  But it doesn't dampen my enthusiasm and  I am reading and learning and will definitely bid for our cruise in September on Symphony.  Do you mind telling us what type cabin you had and what you upgraded to?  And how $$$?  Was it a low or high bid?  Did you bid on more than one category?

4 minutes ago, FrannyK said:

I'm 0 for 3 so far.  I got an email all three times the day of the cruise that I was unsuccessful.  But it doesn't dampen my enthusiasm and  I am reading and learning and will definitely bid for our cruise in September on Symphony.  Do you mind telling us what type cabin you had and what you upgraded to?  And how $$$?  Was it a low or high bid?  Did you bid on more than one category?

Happy to share some details but my spouse does the bids so i don't know the amounts but i can share the gauge.  We typically book a balcony cabin so that is usually our starting point. 

Past wins - 

- Navigator - Balcony to a Grand Suite - bid was just above the weak 

- Harmony - Boardwalk balcony to a Crown Loft Suite - about 25% above the weak

- Quantum - Balcony to an Owners Suite - bid was just above weak (but probably more than the Navigator gauge bid reading) 

Upcoming -

Anthem - Grand Loft Suite to Royal Loft Suite - never saw the gauge on this one but it was probably close to the 25% above weak, this one is probably more than we wanted, but still a very significant saving if the room was booked directly.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wdwkings said:

Happy to share some details but my spouse does the bids so i don't know the amounts but i can share the gauge.  We typically book a balcony cabin so that is usually our starting point. 

Past wins - 

- Navigator - Balcony to a Grand Suite - bid was just above the weak 

- Harmony - Boardwalk balcony to a Crown Loft Suite - about 25% above the weak

- Quantum - Balcony to an Owners Suite - bid was just above weak (but probably more than the Navigator gauge bid reading) 

Upcoming -

Anthem - Grand Loft Suite to Royal Loft Suite - never saw the gauge on this one but it was probably close to the 25% above weak, this one is probably more than we wanted, but still a very significant saving if the room was booked directly.  

Thanks.  That is amazing!  You give us all hope 🙂

21 minutes ago, FrannyK said:

Do you mind telling us what type cabin you had and what you upgraded to?  And how $$$?  Was it a low or high bid?  Did you bid on more than one category?

We usually DON'T bid on these.  I typically book the category and cabin I want...and know I'm happy with my choice.  But I've now seriously bid twice...and got the upgrade twice.  My reason for bidding is that the cabins I really wanted were unavailable when I booked.  In this case, they ONLY were offering OV Guarantees when I booked...and I was eventually assigned a very bad cabin on Serenade--#2018--one of the very few guest cabins among the crew quarters on Deck Two...and with only a very small porthole.

The minimum bid for going from an OV to a balcony was $220 per person.  I bid $250 pp---which was still considered "weak" on their scale.  My thinking is that many people bid the minimum ...with the attitude "what the heck?"...Others bid slightly over...by, say, $5 to $20 over...figuring they'll have bid enough to be above all of those minimum bidders.  Since I had such a bad cabin, it was worth it to me to bid, at least, a little over that...OTOH, I don't want to go crazy, bidding against myself...and I figured a total of $500 was something I could justify in my mind.  If, when I booked, they would have had  balconies available for only $500 above my OV price, we would have booked the balcony.

We also put in bids on three other categories--two larger OV categories...but for bids only slightly above the minimums...something like $65 and $75 pp...and one for a "large" balcony for a little over the $300 pp minimum.

Since the cruise has shown as "sold out" for some time, I figured we were waiting (and hoping) for last minute cancelations...but those do usually happen.  And figured we needed to better the minimums to assure ourself of a good chance...but disregard the little "weaker-stronger" graphic,...that's just there to get you to outthink yourself.

• Thanks 1

In all the hype over RoyalUp don't forget to check your prices for upgrading directly from time to time.  I just upgraded my 4D balcony to an aft facing Jr. Suite for a net of $63. It was $263 more but came with $200 OBC so that's a win for me. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

In all the hype over RoyalUp don't forget to check your prices for upgrading directly from time to time.  I just upgraded my 4D balcony to an aft facing Jr. Suite for a net of $63. It was $263 more but came with $200 OBC so that's a win for me. 🙂 

Excellent point.  Similarly, I was able to upgrade my August 30 sailing on AD (was in a 2D balcony room) to an aft J3 (Junior Suite) and got a $213 refund !  I was really surprised that they gave me a refund since it was well after final payment date.  I think I just got VERY lucky !

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

When you say "check your prices," do you generally do this on the RCI website like you are making a booking or do your call RCI or your TA?

7 hours ago, FrannyK said:

When you say "check your prices," do you generally do this on the RCI website like you are making a booking or do your call RCI or your TA?

I generally check on the website for this kind of stuff first and then if it's in range I'll email my TA.