Door Decorations ?

3 hours ago, Cruise-a-Hallic said:

I noticed on the Majestic Princess cabin hallways, the Starboard side had blue carpet, while the Port side had red carpet.  Made identifying left or right coming out of elevator bay so much easier.

I am going to guess that you are not color blind like my dad...

On 7/8/2024 at 5:47 AM, BamaVol said:

Three weeks ago on Enchanted, door decorations were common.  A lot of cruise, graduation and Father’s Day related magnets on our deck.  Nothing political.  One upside down pineapple.

6 hours ago, sandancer said:

That’s a shame my DH will be celebrating a big birthday on Regal and I was planning a birthday banner for the door. May still give it a go and see if I’m asked to remove it. 

Regel allowed it the last time we were on her.  As does Enchanted.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2024 at 6:25 AM, Boku said:

Hopefully Princess have banned tacky door decorations, we didn’t see any on our recent Sky Princess cruise.

Why?  Don't like it?  Don't look.
I happen to think it is tacky that you don't bother to decorate your door.

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, suzyed said:

Why?  Don't like it?  Don't look.
I happen to think it is tacky that you don't bother to decorate your door.

Do you decorate hotel doors too? I read some people say it helps them find their stateroom, I use the number on the door to identify my stateroom, it works quite well 😉

Edited by Boku
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

I remain baffled by the passion this topic inspires.  I don't understand why people decorate their doors.  It is too much "Hey! Look at me !" for my taste.  And does it really help people find their cabins when each cabin has a unique number associated with it?  And now an LED screen with your name on it?  If that isn't enough of a roadmap, I'm not sure a Santa Claus on the door will help.

Conversely, I don't understand why some people get so worked up over door décor as if it somehow negatively affect their cruise experience.  As shown in this thread, lots of ships allow it, and when you throw in the other cruise lines, there are literally tens of thousands of decorated doors on ships every day.  And ships aren't bursting into flames.  The safety concerns are a strawman argument.  Of all the things to be concerned with on a cruise, being able to decorate my door or being upset if others decorate their doors simply does not register.   

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

7 hours ago, sandancer said:

That’s a shame my DH will be celebrating a big birthday on Regal and I was planning a birthday banner for the door. May still give it a go and see if I’m asked to remove it. 

On 7/8/2024 at 2:44 AM, cruisepest said:

Does anyone know if you can now decorate the outside of your cabin door? We were not allowed to on the Regal Princess in March of this year.

On the March 3 Regal cruise this year, they had corporate people or people who were looking for safety violations or fire hazards (we were told this by the suite concierge). There were people who were asked to take down their door decorations, but we had one tasteful magnetic picture and we were not asked to remove it even though we were across from the suite lounge.

I don't think you should generalize what happened on the Regal that cruise to other cruises.

• Like 4

On 7/8/2024 at 5:25 AM, Boku said:

Hopefully Princess have banned tacky door decorations, we didn’t see any on our recent Sky Princess cruise.

Who determines what is "tacky"?  Or do you mean all decorations?

We did a Carnival cruise a little while ago and there were some mighty clever ones!  It was enjoyable to walk every deck and look at them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Boku said:

Do you decorate hotel doors too? I read some people say it helps them find their stateroom, I use the number on the door to identify my stateroom, it works quite well 😉

Agree. Now with the medallion you don't even have to remember your cabin number. 😁

• Thanks 1

For those of you posting how can you not know what your door number is, it happens . I agree now that your medallion opens your door when you get close may not be as necessary to have door decorations to find your cabin. Not everyone remembers what their cabin number is ,especially the first few days, but if there’s door decor, at least if you know what floor you’re on, you can go cabin to cabin . … agree it’s not for everyone to have door decor, but definitely not anything to lose sleepover or worry about. The only people that need to be worried about it is the staff / crew onboard and if they ask you to take it down.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, arizonaperson said:

For those of you posting how can you not know what your door number is, it happens . I agree now that your medallion opens your door when you get close may not be as necessary to have door decorations to find your cabin. Not everyone remembers what their cabin number is ,especially the first few days, but if there’s door decor, at least if you know what floor you’re on, you can go cabin to cabin . … agree it’s not for everyone to have door decor, but definitely not anything to lose sleepover or worry about. The only people that need to be worried about it is the staff / crew onboard and if they ask you to take it down.

Those people will need to remember what deck their cabin is on first. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, doghog said:

Those people will need to remember what deck their cabin is on first. 🤣

I so agree. I usually remember what deck I’m on, but not always the cabin number- so I might be one of those.🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

I so agree. I usually remember what deck I’m on, but not always the cabin number- so I might be one of those.🤣🤣🤣

Especially if you have been enjoying your beverage package a little more than you should. 😂🍷

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

On the March 3 Regal cruise this year, they had corporate people or people who were looking for safety violations or fire hazards (we were told this by the suite concierge). There were people who were asked to take down their door decorations, but we had one tasteful magnetic picture and we were not asked to remove it even though we were across from the suite lounge.

I don't think you should generalize what happened on the Regal that cruise to other cruises.

So it is a safety hazard….I liked the one about do you decorate your hotel door…. hilarious!!

3 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

I remain baffled by the passion this topic inspires.  I don't understand why people decorate their doors.  It is too much "Hey! Look at me !" for my taste.  And does it really help people find their cabins when each cabin has a unique number associated with it?  And now an LED screen with your name on it?  If that isn't enough of a roadmap, I'm not sure a Santa Claus on the door will help.

Conversely, I don't understand why some people get so worked up over door décor as if it somehow negatively affect their cruise experience.  As shown in this thread, lots of ships allow it, and when you throw in the other cruise lines, there are literally tens of thousands of decorated doors on ships every day.  And ships aren't bursting into flames.  The safety concerns are a strawman argument.  Of all the things to be concerned with on a cruise, being able to decorate my door or being upset if others decorate their doors simply does not register.   

Have friends who are visually impaired.  They put a decoration on their door to make it easier to find their cabin. 

Decorate or not.  People get worked up over trivia like issues ordering their medallion or no being able to get their favorite wine on board.  Today we make mountains out of molehills.   Most would be better off if they could let things go.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Have friends who are visually impaired.  They put a decoration on their door to make it easier to find their cabin. 

Decorate or not.  People get worked up over trivia like issues ordering their medallion or no being able to get their favorite wine on board.  Today we make mountains out of molehills.   Most would be better off if they could let things go.

Yes, its not a big deal. However if you have NICE magnetics?  Or,I saw one door with

like an embroidery display, and thought Oh No. That's going to get taken.

I wouldn't leave collectible, nice decorations on my door.

This might make Tacky decorations The Thing, cuz they probably Won't get stolen!

Tackier the better! 🤪

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, sandancer said:

I think the ban on Regal was a short-lived episode. Likely caused by someone putting political stuff on their door. One of the things we enjoy about cruising is the escape from all the craziness.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I decorate my door because I like to, not for anyone else. 

Before medallions, on the last night of the cruise, I took the door decorations off before going to dinner, then a little later going back to my cabin, I walked right past it and the room steward smiled at me and said “ your room is back there”. We laughed.

Here is one from my Hawaii cruise & one from a Mexico cruise.

IMG_3521.jpeg

IMG_2401.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

I’m far too lazy to decorate my door. But I do appreciate it when rooms near me are decorated. (A) It’s interesting to see and (B) It absolutely helps me find my room. 

Note to folks who don’t like door decorations: Whatever you do don’t set foot on DCL. Those folks are nuts.  

Edited by wcook
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wcook said:

(B) It absolutely helps me find my room

On one of our recent cruises I often ended up walking a long way down a corridor to my cabin and, when I passed a certain decorated door, I knew I was almost home. It isn't my thing to decorate doors but I have definitely utilized other folks decorations as visual clues.

On one cruise years ago on Coral Princess I would have really appreciated a visual clue as I found myself repeatedly trying to get "my" door to unlock before realizing I was on the wrong deck. Fortunately, nobody else was around. (No, it wasn't late at night. It was the middle of the day.)

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Right.jpg.1dd261a340a09ea7cf8051a815327bfc.jpg

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I enjoy these frequent door décor threads. So polarizing, and yet entertaining. 

I just had a thought that they remind me of the Kids On A Cruise threads. 

Side A - Nope, keep 'em away from me, they are nasty, ill behaved,  snot nose cruise wreckers. Leave 'em home with Grandma. 

Side B - Not MY kids / grandkids. They are wonderful, experienced, cruising little angels. Your life  (and that of the the crew) will be so much better for knowing them. 

The truth, as always, is somewhere in the middle. 

ETA,  not trying to open the kids discussion again, it is on here often enough. Just mentioning a parallel.  

Edited by EatonDoolittle
  • Like 1