Shuttle experience

The shuttles provided on our recent Lisbon-Amsterdam cruise were very inconsistent. Oceania provided shutltes in several ports which were remote from the advertised destinations, or were not available at all. There were no shuttles from Tilbury to London and passengers not on an excursion needed to walk to a train station. Laurient also had no shuttle and access to the city was only by a half mile walk. The worst situation was Bruges where a shuttle took passengers to a tram stop, which connected to a train station where trains left for Bruges. For people with physical problems, this meant a shore excursion was their only opportunity to explore. However, most of the shore excursions were either sold out early or involved a strenuous physical activity level.

The only true shuttle to a city center was in Bilbao.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, seapointer said:

The shuttles provided on our recent Lisbon-Amsterdam cruise were very inconsistent. Oceania provided shutltes in several ports which were remote from the advertised destinations, or were not available at all. There were no shuttles from Tilbury to London and passengers not on an excursion needed to walk to a train station. Laurient also had no shuttle and access to the city was only by a half mile walk. The worst situation was Bruges where a shuttle took passengers to a tram stop, which connected to a train station where trains left for Bruges. For people with physical problems, this meant a shore excursion was their only opportunity to explore. However, most of the shore excursions were either sold out early or involved a strenuous physical activity level.

The only true shuttle to a city center was in Bilbao.

Usually it's the ports that provide the shuttles and determine what they do, not Oceania.  

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 4

On 7/11/2024 at 9:24 AM, 1985rz1 said:

Usually it's the ports that provide the shuttles and determine what they do, not Oceania.  

:You are correct  Oceania does not supply the shuttles.  It is a port organized service.

• Thanks 2

On 7/11/2024 at 4:53 PM, seapointer said:

There were no shuttles from Tilbury to London

I'm not overly surprised. Tilbury is a good hour's drive away from the centre  of London. Oceania might describe Tilbury as "London" but it isnt really. They do the same thing with Southampton which always causes me to chuckle. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harters said:

I'm not overly surprised. Tilbury is a good hour's drive away from the centre  of London. Oceania might describe Tilbury as "London" but it isnt really. They do the same thing with Southampton which always causes me to chuckle. 

On one cruise we were on the port stop for London was Dover. Wasn't a bad bus ride. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ORV said:

the port stop for London was Dover.

Quite a bit to see/do round Dover. Kent is one of my favourite counties. We've often passed through Dover for the ferry to France and, usually, add on another day to our trip to do a bit of touristing round there. And, yeah, London it isn't. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Since this seems the case, why does "O" advertise shuttle service as a service at post ports.

Because sometimes there is and sometimes there isn't.  Oceania has no control over the shuttles offered and if they are going to happen 

2 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Since this seems the case, why does "O" advertise shuttle service as a service at post ports.

That's one of those marketing things. Just like many Travel Agencies like to advertise the perks available to everyone as some special they're doing, O is just as guilty for taking credit for providing shuttles in their marketing materials, but let something go wrong or people not be happy about the shuttle service then Guest Relations will be the first to tell you they have no control over it, it's provided by the Port, local town, etc. 

17 hours ago, ORV said:

That's one of those marketing things. Just like many Travel Agencies like to advertise the perks available to everyone as some special they're doing, O is just as guilty for taking credit for providing shuttles in their marketing materials, but let something go wrong or people not be happy about the shuttle service then Guest Relations will be the first to tell you they have no control over it, it's provided by the Port, local town, etc. 

Exactly, the  shuttles aren't the problem--it's "O" not being totally honest in the advertising.  

On 7/13/2024 at 6:04 PM, no fuss travel said:

:You are correct  Oceania does not supply the shuttles.  It is a port organized service.

While the port may provide the shuttles, I doubt that they are not contracted by and paid for by Oceania. Otherwise, they would be available to every Cruise line that docks in that port. The Ports have no economic reason to favor Oceania over the other cruise lines. It is also clear that the shuttles are independent bus lines which are hired for the day.

26 minutes ago, seapointer said:

. Otherwise, they would be available to every Cruise line that docks in that port.

Do you know they are not available to other lines?  The ports do have an economic reason to provide them to all ships. I don't have the experience with other lines at the same ports, so I'm curious.

I've seen them provided to other lines, while I've been on them and also other lines that have been in Port the same day we're there on Oceania. Businesses can't sell to people that aren't there. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, seapointer said:

While the port may provide the shuttles, I doubt that they are not contracted by and paid for by Oceania. Otherwise, they would be available to every Cruise line that docks in that port. The Ports have no economic reason to favor Oceania over the other cruise lines. It is also clear that the shuttles are independent bus lines which are hired for the day.

Where we were not the only cruise line in port, shuttles were provided by port authorities for all 3 cruise lines. It was interesting to watch how many passengers got on the wrong shuttle and then lost it when the shuttle did not drop them off at their ship. The port organizes the shuttles. I had a discussion with the GM onboard at one port and they told me that they have no control over the shuttles 

• Thanks 2

My opinion probably isn't going to be popular here, especially with the demographic of O skewing older.   But it seems to me like many of the OP's complaints can be addressed by better preparation and maybe taking a bit more responsibility for their special needs.  Just about every one of the complaints can be solved.

First of all, neither O or any other cruise lines built the ports.   Do you expect the ship to sail up the Thames and dock next to Parliament (as an aside,there's actually a dock there) since they advertise London?  Or maybe the airlines should provide a shuttle from Heathrow and Gatwick since they aren't really in London.   You'll know exactly where the ship docks with 5 minutes of research. 

Additionally,  if someone has mobility issues and can't walk 1/2 a mile, then maybe it's appropriate to rent a scooter/wheelchair or plan for a taxi, etc.  While a business should make reasonable accommodations for people,  it's also important to plan for your own needs.  A business simply cannot accommodate ALL needs at all times.  Should I also provide a seeing eye dog for the blind on long walks?

If you feel the only way you can get around in a port is a cruise sponsored tour but they sell out quickly,  book them as soon as they become available.  If they're too strenuous,  book a private tour.

While this may be frustrating,  it's all easily solvable. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Yesimapirate said:

My opinion probably isn't going to be popular here, especially with the demographic of O skewing older.   But it seems to me like many of the OP's complaints can be addressed by better preparation and maybe taking a bit more responsibility for their special needs.  Just about every one of the complaints can be solved.

First of all, neither O or any other cruise lines built the ports.   Do you expect the ship to sail up the Thames and dock next to Parliament (as an aside,there's actually a dock there) since they advertise London?  Or maybe the airlines should provide a shuttle from Heathrow and Gatwick since they aren't really in London.   You'll know exactly where the ship docks with 5 minutes of research. 

Additionally,  if someone has mobility issues and can't walk 1/2 a mile, then maybe it's appropriate to rent a scooter/wheelchair or plan for a taxi, etc.  While a business should make reasonable accommodations for people,  it's also important to plan for your own needs.  A business simply cannot accommodate ALL needs at all times.  Should I also provide a seeing eye dog for the blind on long walks?

If you feel the only way you can get around in a port is a cruise sponsored tour but they sell out quickly,  book them as soon as they become available.  If they're too strenuous,  book a private tour.

While this may be frustrating,  it's all easily solvable. 

I have to agree with you. As a person with mobility issues I am ‘realistic’ about my ability to take tours etc. I don’t expect the ‘cruise’ to adapt itself to my needs. I know what I can and can’t do and cruise with ‘my reality’. Unfortunately some people are either a little self centred or, back to the old chestnut again, just have ‘unrealistic expectations’. 

Like ‘living within our means’ we also have to ‘live within our capabilities’ that way life/holidays would be far more enjoyable for everyone.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

I closely read the tour information before making a booking, to ensure that it's within our mobility limitations. A two hour walk round a city centre at the pace set by a guide is one thing, whereas a two hour walk round a city at our own pace (with stops as necessary) is very much another matter. It tends to mean that, if we take a ship's excursion it will usually be a panoramic one, accepting that it may not be as interesting as some others and we do our own thing in most ports. Happy with that - our holiday is mainly the "floating hotel", rather than where it visits. 

Edited by Harters
  • Like 7

Shuttles are iffy in many ports. In some ports, Oceania runs a shuttle.  If the port runs shuttles, they will take you to a central location.  You will be either close to points of interest or near public transportation.  Be proactive and read up about each port before sailing. Download maps and know how to use public transportation.  The cruise line provides very little info. They want you to buy excursions. In many ports, you may be close to town.  No need for for transportation.  My rule of thumb is when you get off ship, if there are no taxis at the dock, you are close to attractions.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

read up about each port before sailing.

Including CC's ports of call sub-forum and any cruise "port guide" you can find online. I find they are the two most useful resources

Edited by Harters

• 5 weeks later...

I've been to two places in which there were shuttles provided, and Oceania guests didn't have to pay, but guests on the other cruise line in town had to pay.  So while often the port or city provides a shuttle, I think sometimes Oceania pays for us to be able to use it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think I've ever been on a shuttle in which there were non-Oceania cruisers.  But I haven't been to every city that Oceania goes to, so maybe that's the case in some ports.  In Chania (Souda Bay port) last year, there were two different shuttle buses running, and each was marked for the specific cruise line it served.  And there was a board that showed the charge for using the non-Oceania one. 

Shuttles can definitely be a mixed bag.  I remember at least one in which there were no buses running for a two hour period during lunch time.  But at least hat was communicated to us the evening before we arrived in port. So if you're planning on relying on them, I'd suggest reading what's stated about them in the "Currents" paper you receive the night before your arrival.  And I'd also consider taking a cab if you have early morning plans or if you might want to come back to the ship around lunch time. 

In Marseille last year, Oceania had a free shuttle that we boarded right outside the ship.  Only Oceania passengers were on the shuttle.  There were many other large ships in port that day, and there was free shuttle about a ten minute walk away.  We noticed the line was very long for the free shuttle as we drove by on the Oceania shuttle.  

Posted (edited)

Korfu shuttle 2024 within the port (from shop to terminal) was shared. Outside port to town was O alone ( don't remember if other lines had their own shuttles). Within port is quite short, coming back iirc many walked the whole way.

Edited by babysteps
  • Like 1