What's in your carry-on?

As we fly from Canada to Florida, the chance of the airline losing your bags are very high. 

Camera gear, phone charger, laptop chargers and both laptops.  Three  full changes of clothes each and our  swimwear. Medications.  Basically anything worth stealing, and anything we would badly miss if our luggage was lost.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Bathing suit, extra outfit, meds, travel docs, jewelry (even though not that expensive) and chargers.  Size differs depending on if it’s overseas or Rt from a drivable port.

Edited by tamom
  • Like 2

We have a short flight from San Jose, CA to Long Beach, CA.  So we are flying in same day.  In my carryon I will have:

swimsuit and coverup

water bottle

phone charger

meds

sweater

travel docs

small pack of cleaning wipes - taking 2 grandkids with us - so will wipe down tray table and arm rests on the plane - and also will wipe down door handles and high touch surfaces in our cabins.

kindle

Posted (edited)

My carryon is a medium size backpack and my wife's is her purse.  A few prescription medications, jewelry, passport, drivers license, medical insurance card, money, camera, cruise travel documents, ect. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 1

Documents and cash 

Jewelry 

Electronics 

Medicines 

I've never understood carrying on a swimsuit -- if you want to hit the pool or water slides early (and that's a pretty good idea), wear them!  I often board wearing a swimsuit with a dress-type cover-up.  My husband often boards wearing swim trunks + a matching tee.  

We drive ourselves to the port, hand our suitcases over to the porters personally, and wait to see them placed on the rolling carts that carry them onto the ship.  As such we aren't worried about our luggage being lost.  

Posted (edited)

Documents

Meds

Personal hygiene

Jewelry

Powerbanks

cords to charge phones and such

Swimming suite

Edited by Tatka

Posted (edited)

Everything that CASH can't replace.

I have a rollerbag with all the basics.  I will gate check it at first opportunity to save baggage check fees.

I carry a backpack -

Shore Excursion bag (for shopping to replace stuff in the lost suitcase)

CASH

My remote work computers (I am a gig worker - I work on cruises).

Personal computer (it has all the cruise docs on it)

Tablet (with e-books)

Meds.

Tooth brush and toothpaste.

SCUBA Regulators and dive computers.

Passport

Car Keys

Not much else.

Edited by gmerick
  • Like 1

We always fly to the port the night before. In addition to what others have already said, I move a can of sunscreen from my checked luggage to my carrry on before leaving the hotel in the morning. I don’t want to burn my first day on the ship. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BNR091496 said:

Cruising soon and in the process of starting to plan what to pack!  What do you typically pack in your carryon!  What size bag do you usually use?  

Everything !

We haven't checked baggage in 3 years and have so far done trips up to 19 days . Airlines are a mess with delays , cancellations and lost baggage like never before . We just avoid the possible hassle this way 

Cheers

2-3 days of clothing

Clothing for me that’s hard to replace like swim suit, bras 

Extra pair of shoes, sometimes dress shoes

Medication 

Toiletries, Make up

Anything electronic or with a cord 

cash, passport, travel documents 

contacts, glasses

Basically it’s anything that can’t be or would be hard to replace. Or something that I can’t do without for even for a few days. 

I do this for every trip I fly, not just cruises. Bags get lost or as a recent cruiser reported her bag fell into the ocean while being loaded on a ship. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, dunrobbin said:

As we fly from Canada to Florida, the chance of the airline losing your bags are very high. 

Camera gear, phone charger, laptop chargers and both laptops.  Three  full changes of clothes each and our  swimwear. Medications.  Basically anything worth stealing, and anything we would badly miss if our luggage was lost.

I have to laugh, because the truth is that the chance of your bags being lost or delayed is very small.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

I have to laugh, because the truth is that the chance of your bags being lost or delayed is very small.

It happened with our dinner table companions twice - on our 2017 and 2019 transatlantic round trips. Both times, their missing bag arrived back at their residence [Florida] days after the trip was over. The airline made no attempt to have the luggage forwarded to Southampton. The 2019 incident was less troublesome as the had cross packed essentials. For 2017 I was able to lend a couple of shirts [see my massive overpacking note below 😉 ]

We are local to the port [Brooklyn] so tend to massively over pack. My carryon is a bit of stack - a two wheel roller, with the wine bottles padded with socks and underwear; A smaller bag is slipped over the handle with medication, electronics [laptop & charger]; last an old camera bag with photo gear and the top compartment holding the cruise paperwork [passport, boarding pass, wallet], cell phone, and other items normally in pockets. 

Mrs Bear uses a much smaller roller bag - with her medications and cruise paperwork. That may ride on a rollator seat or I may drag it with my free hand.

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

I'd love to see the statistics that back up your dribble .

Not sure where your from but certainly from Canada the Canadian airlines have been absolutely terrible with delays , and cancellations . This raises the possibility greatly of at least delayed ( If not lost ) baggage , and you may not know , but the ship will not wait when your bags are late .

Glad you enjoy the chuckle

Cheers

Posted (edited)

In my personal items bag: meds, electronics, toiletries (3,1,1 bag), binoculars if using on the trip, travel documents. If checking our bag (which I prefer to do), a change of clothing other than pants, which I can re-wear.

In the carry-on, clothing.

The personal item bag is a backpack, the carry-on is roughly 22"x14"x9"

Edited by mammajamma2013
Add size information

Two thoughts: 

1.  I think we're discussing two different things here.  Some people are talking about the carry-on bag they bring onto the cruise ship.  Other people are talking about carry-ons they bring on an airplane.  

2.  I just googled how often luggage is lost or delayed.  The Points Guy says it's 7 out of every 1000 pieces.  Or a .007% chance.  That includes short delays as well as being outright missing for your whole vacation, so if you've done the smart thing and arrived in your port city a day ahead of time, you'll probably get your suitcase by the next morning.  So, yeah, lost luggage makes for a great article, but the possibility of it happening to you is small.  

I tried to search for how often luggage is lost between the porter's station and your stateroom, and I couldn't find a solid answer -- but two sites said cruise ships lose luggage less often than airplanes.  That makes sense; if you see it go on those high-sided trolleys, chances of it not making it to your room are slight.  

11 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I tried to search for how often luggage is lost between the porter's station and your stateroom, and I couldn't find a solid answer -- but two sites said cruise ships lose luggage less often than airplanes.  That makes sense; if you see it go on those high-sided trolleys, chances of it not making it to your room are slight.  

I don’t disagree with this, but that isn’t how the process works in reality. The trolleys that you see are taken to the luggage screening area where they are unloaded and the luggage is screened. The luggage is then loaded into cages based on where it is going on the ship.  The cages are then put on the ship and the luggage is distributed. 

Just what I carry on an airplane. No bathing suit or a change of clothes. Have never had a problem with lost bags...and my husband used to travel almost constantly for work.

More essentials, as mentioned above, if I'm flying to port. If driving, documents, phone charger, meds, and a big container of sani wipes. A thorough wipedown of cabin surfaces starts my vacation. Then when the luggage is delivered unpacking can begin.

Enjoy.

On 7/15/2024 at 1:56 PM, BNR091496 said:

Cruising soon and in the process of starting to plan what to pack!  What do you typically pack in your carryon!  What size bag do you usually use?  

If flying, the largest size acceptable as carry-on by the line I am flying;   holding a change of underwear and as much change of clothes as will fit after all meds, valuables and documents-  essentially those items I really do not want to risk losing or having delayed.