What's in your carry-on?

19 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Two thoughts: 

1.  I think we're discussing two different things here.  Some people are talking about the carry-on bag they bring onto the cruise ship.  Other people are talking about carry-ons they bring on an airplane.  

Yes!  I was originally asking about a cruise carry on!  Perhaps I wasn’t clear enough.  However, I am enjoying the responses and suggestions!   

• Like 1

I take

documents, ID, cash, credit card, and insurance cards

Jewelry

Phone

The above are in a small back pack

tablet, charger

Sunglasses

Swimsuit, cover up

Knitting

Book

These items are in a small soft sided case.  We get the key so the small case goes to the drop off zone while the backpack stays with me.  My husband also has a backpack with his carry on items that he drops off, just taking his phone with him.

20 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

If flying, the largest size acceptable as carry-on by the line I am flying;   holding a change of underwear and as much change of clothes as will fit after all meds, valuables and documents-  essentially those items I really do not want to risk losing or having delayed.

So is that what you carry anytime you fly? If not, I wonder why. Don't you have as big a chance of being short of undies on land as at sea?

For boarding, I usually pare it down to a minimal tote-style purse (but I'm also not generally doing hot weather cruises, so I'm not going and jumping into the pool as soon as I'm on board). I keep meds, jewelry, electronics (phone, ebook, tablet if brought, earbuds, and appropriate chargers), and my knitting. Plus paperwork, of course. 

For flying, I usually have a few more things tucked in there, as well as having a carry-on suitcase with clothes, etc. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2024 at 9:21 PM, LobsterStalker said:

Everything !

We haven't checked baggage in 3 years and have so far done trips up to 19 days . Airlines are a mess with delays , cancellations and lost baggage like never before . We just avoid the possible hassle this way 

Cheers

Exactly what we do too. Not only for cruising, but independent travel too. I blush to confess the longest trip so far with just a carry-on and a small backpack (our personal item) has been three weeks. Not having checked bags has allowed us to catch earlier flights, be first out of the gate when going through customs, and never having to worry about lost luggage.  It is easy to handwash things along the way...the only downside is, in all our travel photos over the years it looks like we have on the same outfits. 

21 hours ago, lynncarol said:

Exactly what we do too. Not only for cruising, but independent travel too. I blush to confess the longest trip so far with just a carry-on and a small backpack (our personal item) has been three weeks. Not having checked bags has allowed us to catch earlier flights, be first out of the gate when going through customs, and never having to worry about lost luggage.  It is easy to handwash things along the way...the only downside is, in all our travel photos over the years it looks like we have on the same outfits. 

Not saying you do, but a lot of folks who travel only with carry-on, abuse the "personal item" rule.  The personal item, whatever it is, should be stowed under the seat, not in the overhead.  

I like your comment about same outfits in photos.  Mrs Ldubs frequently says I need to mix things up so it doesn't look like I'm wearing the same thing.  

23 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

On every cruise from 2013 to 2019 I made sure to pack paperbacks by my favorite author.

I used to do that.   I still do but now it is loading the kindle with ebooks.  As a result my carry on  is much lighter!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I used to do that.   I still do but now it is loading the kindle with ebooks.  As a result my carry on  is much lighter!  

I brought books to re-read and left them in the ships library .While Mrs.66 prefers the kindle I like actual books.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Not saying you do, but a lot of folks who travel only with carry-on, abuse the "personal item" rule.  The personal item, whatever it is, should be stowed under the seat, not in the overhead.  

This times a thousand. I finally got a carry on that will fit under the seat because jerks were abusing the system and filling up the bins. I've long said that when I'm "Czarina of the Universe" my first act will be to remove all overhead bins from airplanes. It either goes under the seat or you check it.

3 hours ago, clo said:

This times a thousand. I finally got a carry on that will fit under the seat because jerks were abusing the system and filling up the bins. I've long said that when I'm "Czarina of the Universe" my first act will be to remove all overhead bins from airplanes. It either goes under the seat or you check it.

Or you could simply enforce the personal item rule. Then there would be plenty of room for everyone.   

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Or you could simply enforce the personal item rule. Then there would be plenty of room for everyone.   

Good idea. And I have others things in mind. Like no professional sports season can begin before the previous one ends. And the only playoffs will be the two best teams from the leagues will play one game and be declared the CHAMPION!!!! See, I've had some time to think about this 🙂

29 minutes ago, clo said:

Good idea. And I have others things in mind. Like no professional sports season can begin before the previous one ends. And the only playoffs will be the two best teams from the leagues will play one game and be declared the CHAMPION!!!! See, I've had some time to think about this 🙂

Wait, you mean everyone doesn't get a trophy!  😀 

• Haha 1

On 7/25/2024 at 3:17 PM, lynncarol said:

A friend of ours was looking at pictures from a trip to, I believe, London several years back, and at the end of scrolling through the first 3-4 days, she stopped, looked at me, and said:  "You did all of this stuff in one day?"  

• Haha 1

On 7/26/2024 at 12:31 PM, ldubs said:

I like your comment about same outfits in photos.  Mrs Ldubs frequently says I need to mix things up so it doesn't look like I'm wearing the same thing.  

Sorry for delayed response.  When I updated to Window 11, cruise critic forced me to create a whole new account and member name.  Anyway, you raise a good point about items stowed under the seat.  When I bring a backpack along with my carry-on, I always make sure it will fit under the seat. In it I include things I know I will need inflight, such as a small pillow, extra sweater, meds and toothbrush (if its an overnight flight). All very squishable.

I don't see what is so complicated about what is in your carry on.  You just put 3 types of items into it - 1) the stuff that you need as soon as you board before your luggage is delivered,  2) the stuff that if you don't have it your trip will be either totally ruined or they won't let you onto the ship or into places and 3) the stuff that if you don't have it you will die.

DON

We generally drive to port

I bring a large zip tote

Documents and cash

Meds

Phone and charger

Small crossbody or wristlet with chapstick, contact comfort drops, kleenex

Sweater or hoodie

DH brings his backpack with his CPAP stuff,  meds, his phone and charger, and the second bottle of wine

Hoodie.

13 hours ago, lynncarol1 said:

Sorry for delayed response.  When I updated to Window 11, cruise critic forced me to create a whole new account and member name.  Anyway, you raise a good point about items stowed under the seat.  When I bring a backpack along with my carry-on, I always make sure it will fit under the seat. In it I include things I know I will need inflight, such as a small pillow, extra sweater, meds and toothbrush (if its an overnight flight). All very squishable.

Ditto. And you're (one of my many) hero! Thanks.

14 hours ago, lynncarol1 said:

... When I updated to Window 11, cruise critic forced me to create a whole new account and member name...

@lynncarol and @lynncarol1

Send an email to CC Help Michell, UGC Content Coordinator, at help@cruisecritic.com. Include both Cruise Critic member names and email addresses of record. Explain the situation and then let her know which member name and email address of record you want to keep. She can help you have access to your old member name account. You will then have your old member name account back and will not have lost your join date or post count. When that happens, posts made on the new member name may possibly be removed.

Hope this helps!

Host Kat

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Host Kat said:

@lynncarol and @lynncarol1

Send an email to CC Help Michell, UGC Content Coordinator, at help@cruisecritic.com. Include both Cruise Critic member names and email addresses of record. Explain the situation and then let her know which member name and email address of record you want to keep. She can help you have access to your old member name account. You will then have your old member name account back and will not have lost your join date or post count. When that happens, posts made on the new member name may possibly be removed.

Hope this helps!

Host Kat

Because of your help desk, my issue was resolved and I have my original account back. Thanks!!

• Thanks 1

Responding to clo, when I get to be Czarina of the Universe, my rule for carryons, much simpler than the dimensions plus weight: 

Everyone with a carryon, including children, must lift their carryon over their head, with arms fully extended. They must spin the carryon around while lifted for two complete turns.  

This should eliminate the Little Old Ladies with 65 lb plus bags, and also the herds of children dragging cases as big as they are.

Yes, I'm cranky and I've already had lunch so I'm not sure what the problem is.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, cheeruson said:

Responding to clo, when I get to be Czarina of the Universe, my rule for carryons, much simpler than the dimensions plus weight: 

Everyone with a carryon, including children, must lift their carryon over their head, with arms fully extended. They must spin the carryon around while lifted for two complete turns.  

This should eliminate the Little Old Ladies with 65 lb plus bags, and also the herds of children dragging cases as big as they are.

Yes, I'm cranky and I've already had lunch so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Totally agree with that statement.  If you can't lift it I am not going to help you.

DON

• Like 1