New to Princess Cruises - some suggestions

Hello all.

After sailing with most of the mainstream companies, I have booked for nov 2024 my first Princess cruise on Island Princess.

Basic fare, with no extras or perks being a non-drinker (I will have anyway to pay the extortionate wi-fi price).

I have a few questions about dining, as I have searched for some info and found conflicting answers.

How does the dinner work in the MDR, considering my basic rate? Set table? Open seating?

And about room service, I have understood that breakfast is available and free of charge as long as it is ordered using the paper form. What about the service during the day for snacks etc? I understood that there is a first charge of 14.99USD for booking through the app. is then there a cost for each order?

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

In terms of dining, through the Princess App you can book a private table (for the same time every day, or different times, your choice) or a shared table in a more traditional manner. You can also just turn up on the night and join the no reservation line.

As you say, order breakfast through the paper form and it's free for everyone.

No additional cost for most food items after paying the 14.99. I think a few premium items have extra charge, but most are covered by the activation fee.

Enjoy your cruise when it comes!

Edited by Leo37
  • Like 1

if you don't need 24hr internet you can get cheap roaming in europe and drop the internet package.
coverage will be good in most of the ports and some time at sea on the Nov itinerary.
can also top up with ship internet $30/day   its $25pd whole cruise

if you will be paying the crew appreciation($16) and will need the internet($25) then worth looking at plus as it includes both and non alcohol beverages + a few other items.

Regarding dining, Princess just recently (for cruises after September) rolled out a 3-part dining system. For the ships with 3 MDRs one will be "Traditional" fixed seating, one will be "Reservable" (same time each night OR different times), and one will be "Walk up" and wait in line to be seated at either a private (for 2 or 4?) or shared table.

For us, keeping the Basic rate instead of a package has been cheaper, but we get half off on Internet, and only get one 1-device plan. AND we always pay the gratuities!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Leo37 said:

In terms of dining, through the Princess App you can book a private table (for the same time every day, or different times, your choice) or a shared table in a more traditional manner. You can also just turn up on the night and join the no reservation line.

As you say, order breakfast through the paper form and it's free for everyone.

No additional cost for most food items after paying the 14.99. I think a few premium items have extra charge, but most are covered by the activation fee.

Enjoy your cruise when it comes!

My husband doesn't drink either but we get the plus package. I like it includes. Crew appreciation and unlimited WiFi for one device each. I do have a drink or glass of wine most days but this plan covers my specialty coffees as well as fresh brewed as well as unlimited bottled water (I like cold water in fridge at all times) also my husbands soda and other drinks and the juice bar for both of us. Island is a nice ship but no International Cafe but I think they have something in it's place not sure if it is 24/7 though. Check out the live post for the Island it is great lots of awesome pictures and very helpful with any questions.

Posted (edited)

@allegrocontadino

Island Princess-2024 & 2025

Provence- Traditional  dining room -5 pm & 7:30 pm

Bordeaux- reservable,every 20 minutes  & walk ins

If you wish to book dinner reservations,check app or web version to do so. Basic/ standard fare doesn’t involve the non paid dining rooms. All may enjoy with no extra fee.

Breakfast ( everyday) & lunch ( select days) in dining room  available to everyone ,no reservations taken.

Yes, hang tag for select items for breakfast is complimentary.

Ocean now is the term for delivery to anywhere on the ship,without a package ,it is $14.99 one time fee per voyage, make sure if you have a travel partner in your cabin that only one of you uses this feature otherwise, both of you will be charged. So always have the same person order. Some of the items are complementary. ( sandwiches,French fries,soup,etc.)

You may also use your state room phone and I believe it’s $5 delivery charge every time you order something.

Of course, soda, alcohol, and lots of other items are charged. 
You can also walk up to  the pizza which is usually called slice on deck 14 up on the open deck, ice cream place on the open deck on deck 14  & the grill on deck 15, those are all complementary.

You  were saying something about the Internet/wifi ,but not sure if you were going to forgo it or if you needed to know what the price is without a package?

From Princess website: choice when it comes to their dining experience by offering three table service options – Traditional, Reservable, or Walk-in Anytime - coupled with the brand’s industry exclusive OceanNow location-based “anywhere” service. Booked guests will be able to use the app ahead of their voyage to opt for traditional seating in a dedicated dining room with the same waiter, same table and same time each night, or flexible dining, allowing them to enjoy dinner at any available time and table size of their choosing in either the Reservable or Open Seating dining rooms. 

Traditional dining seems to be 5 PM and 7:30 PM with a few variations.

The reservable (Flexible is Princesses new term) a.k.a. dine my way starts at 5 PM and there are slots available every 20 minutes.

Open seating (Princesses new term) AKA walk-in is just that. 

Agree with @latebloomer56 check out The Live from Island Princes ( Live from the Land of Princess )for information, she has the Patters aka newsletter posted which has lots of information .

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, insidecabin said:

if you will be paying the crew appreciation($16) and will need the internet($25) then worth looking at plus as it includes both and non alcohol beverages + a few other items.

This is what I was going to say.  If you add up the price of the crew appreciation and internet, you are already at $41/day.  If you drink nonalcoholic drinks (specialty coffee, soda, mocktails, etc.) and would use any of the other perks (premium desserts, casual dining, etc.) then it might be worth it to just get Plus.

Thank you so much! Great explanations, much clearer. As we will be 2 people, none of us drink alcohol at all (not even a beer!) and only one needs wifi, definitely the basic rate is still more convenient. With the added bonus of room service. Thanks again!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, sherryf said:

This is what I was going to say.  If you add up the price of the crew appreciation and internet, you are already at $41/day.  If you drink nonalcoholic drinks (specialty coffee, soda, mocktails, etc.) and would use any of the other perks (premium desserts, casual dining, etc.) then it might be worth it to just get Plus.

If I am right, both the cabins occupants must upgrade to the package, right? In this case definitely not worth in our case

1 minute ago, allegrocontadino said:

Thank you so much! Great explanations, much clearer. As we will be 2 people, none of us drink alcohol at all (not even a beer!) and only one needs wifi, definitely the basic rate is still more convenient. With the added bonus of room service. Thanks again!

Also forgot to add the Ocean Now fee is waived and no charge for room service (unless you order an item with a fee like a whole pizza) and with the plus they have 2 casual meals like Alfredo Pizza and some others it's different on each ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allegrocontadino said:

If I am right, both the cabins occupants must upgrade to the package, right? In this case definitely not worth in our case

Yes, both have to upgrade. We never get packages, since the math just doesn't work out for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allegrocontadino said:

When you do your maths working out if a drinks package is worth it for you remember that a la carte drinks including coffee and soda have an automatic 18% gratuity added. 

• Like 2

If you go to the thread at the top of the page called Dine My Way - On page 109, #2704 - there is a list of room service items available with the cost, if any.  That was as of May 2024,

• Like 1

We just got off the Island and we never take the pac. We don’t drink either. We are happy with iced tea at meals. You can ask for a pitcher for your refrigerator. A soda or two over ten days doesn’t make it worth it. We are Elite so get 50% off the WiFi . Just full disclosure. We never order room service. The Island is so small that it’s easy to bring snacks back from the buffet such as cookies or fruit or cheese and crackers.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HotRoot said:

If you go to the thread at the top of the page called Dine My Way - On page 109, #2704 - there is a list of room service items available with the cost, if any.  That was as of May 2024,

And this is why I didn't add Ocean Now in my last trip. Figured everything I wanted had a charge:

Thank you HotRoot for taking the time to type it out!

20 hours ago, allegrocontadino said:

cruise fare you both have to do it ,
You can get the standalone packages on an individual basis.

Soda&mocs  $17.69
The non alcohol beverage package is showing on my next cruise at $35.39 per day(including service)

pretty much everything except alcohol ( no sharing) but is one of you is heavy on the coffee/soda/water

What is Included

The package includes all specialty or premium coffees and teas, hot chocolate, fountain sodas, cans of soda, fresh juices and healthy smoothies (from the juice bar), 0.5 ltr bottled water, Frappes at Coffee & Cones, mocktails, and smoothies as per the menu, Red Bull , 330 ml or 0.500 ml sparkling bottles of water, Energy Drink and Milk Shakes (if available)

Water preorder may be convenient 12 bottles at a discount UK £5.73 ~=  $7.50

• Like 1

OP, I googled your screen name and was tickled to find that I recognized that melody.  I'm guessing that most piano students (Not me.  The only musical instrument that I play is my PC.) encounter Il Contadino Allegro fairly early in their studies.

Returning to the thread topic, I endorse the decision to book your cruise at the "standard" price.  The Princess Plus/Premier packages do not pencil out for everybody.  

Have a great cruise.

On 7/19/2024 at 5:13 AM, allegrocontadino said:

Hello all.

After sailing with most of the mainstream companies, I have booked for nov 2024 my first Princess cruise on Island Princess.

Basic fare, with no extras or perks being a non-drinker (I will have anyway to pay the extortionate wi-fi price).

I have a few questions about dining, as I have searched for some info and found conflicting answers.

How does the dinner work in the MDR, considering my basic rate? Set table? Open seating?

And about room service, I have understood that breakfast is available and free of charge as long as it is ordered using the paper form. What about the service during the day for snacks etc? I understood that there is a first charge of 14.99USD for booking through the app. is then there a cost for each order?

Thanks!

One tip about ordering breakfast on the order card in room. I added French Toast which wasn’t on the menu & it was delivered. There was an option of 7-7:30 am choice & I just circled 7 am & it was delivered around that time. 

Tom😀

• Like 1

Be aware that the one-time fee of $14.99 does not include Room Service ordered over the telephone. It will cover items delivered to your cabin via the app (the Ocean Now service) but phone orders to Room Service will cost $5 each and every time if you don't have Plus or Premier.

• Like 1

The math doesn’t work for us either so we sail without a package. I do always preorder bottled water as Princess does not have the filtered water stations for water bottles. People talk about taking glasses of water in the buffet and pouring that into their reusable bottles though. 

It’s only $7 per case of 12 half liter bottles if you order in advance. I think it has to be at least one week ahead of sailing but don’t quote me on that.   Once on board you pay $2 or so I think per bottle. 

Princess recently upgraded their coffee in the MDR and buffet and for room service so it’s fine for us.

I don’t know how many people you have in your party that need internet but the 4 device plan can be shared. 4 devices at one time can be logged in using the same account. When we sail with another couple we split one 4 device package. Also if I’m not mistaken (I’m sure I’ll get corrected if I am) you can get internet day by day. So if you only want it say on sea days you can just get it for those days. 

Welcome to Princess, enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 1

@allegrocontadino put me in the standard fare cruisers group who do drink a glass of wine a day. But I prefer lunch & dinner in MDR so I get my caffeine fix & all the ice cream i want. After reviewing the OceanNow offerings (again thank you HotRoot) I won't do that. $15 for their version of key lime pot isn't worth it (tastes like meyer lemon pie -- so good but not $15 good as there are so many great alternatives at IC). Of course I don't need / want internet and don't mind getting off owing. 

Now off to make a meyer lemon pie 🥧 

OP,

I join InsideCabin and HaveDogWillTravel's recommendation of the water package. That's what we get to fill up our water bottles and have very cold water when we return to our cabin after a busy day. I'll add Crystal Light to one of the bottles. The water package must be purchased ahead of the cruise. I usually travel with DD who's a teenager so the packages don't work for us. It's a matter of choosing what best works for you.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ombud said:

@allegrocontadino put me in the standard fare cruisers group who do drink a glass of wine a day. But I prefer lunch & dinner in MDR so I get my caffeine fix & all the ice cream i want. After reviewing the OceanNow offerings (again thank you HotRoot) I won't do that. $15 for their version of key lime pot isn't worth it (tastes like meyer lemon pie -- so good but not $15 good as there are so many great alternatives at IC). Of course I don't need / want internet and don't mind getting off owing. 

Now off to make a meyer lemon pie 🥧 

Please note lunch is only available in the MDR on sea days

On 7/23/2024 at 8:01 PM, Thrak said:

Be aware that the one-time fee of $14.99 does not include Room Service ordered over the telephone. It will cover items delivered to your cabin via the app (the Ocean Now service) but phone orders to Room Service will cost $5 each and every time if you don't have Plus or Premier.

And...also note that you are (seemingly) not limited to what is printed on the paper breakfast door hanger.  I always write in "English Muffins, toasted" and have always received them, regardless of ship or type of cabin we're in.  I have to assume that there might be *some* things that they might not honor as a write in...just pointing out what has worked for us. YMMV!

• Like 1