HAL Rotterdam flight - will I make it?

7 minutes ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

Can I make a 10:55 am flight at Amsterdam airport disembarking from Hal in Rotterdam? It’s so much more expensive to go later or the days following….😩  Thank you!! 

You would have to make it to the airport at 8am. Even with the lauded public transportation (trains), I would have to say, "No". Here is a quote from a related discussion on Rotterdam vs Dover:

"I think you'll find quite a few flights from either AMS or LHR to your location so that might be a toss up. I don't find either airport that easy to use, though, and you'll want to allow for A LOT of time to just check in and get through both places' security."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If you do book this flight, you should carry off your own luggage.  HAL misplaced our luggage ( put it with a later group) which caused us to almost miss our flight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My initial thought was "oh my gosh, no."

After thinking it over, even with carrying off your own luggage, you still have to get from Rotterdam to Amsterdam (a 55 minute drive at best), then through the airport to your gate, I'm still of the opinion that you won't make it.  Good luck to you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you get off at 7 am , have your luggage with you and a cab driver ready , you could be at the airport at 8 am. Driving time is about 45 minutes, certainly at that hour. My record stands at 31 minutes… had to pick up my parents but overslept 😊

But and here’s the big but.. it really depends on when. During the weekends there’s a big chance of roadwork on the highways plus during this summer Schiphol Airport will be expecting delays again in bagage handling. Not as bad as last summer but it could be a disruptive factor. 

My advice : stay in beautiful Rotterdam for a day and catch an early morning train on the day of your flight.

• Like 7

Timing of the whole scenario is way too stressful.  I would never count on catching that flight. Flying has been a real hassle lately with long security lines and it would just be a bad ending to your vacation if you miss it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

Can I make a 10:55 am flight at Amsterdam airport disembarking from Hal in Rotterdam? It’s so much more expensive to go later or the days following….😩  Thank you!! 

Not sure what your departure date or destination is, but also consider flying out of Brussels. You may end up with a layover in AMS, but the flight may be cheaper.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rotjeknor said:

If you get off at 7 am , have your luggage with you and a cab driver ready , you could be at the airport at 8 am. Driving time is about 45 minutes, certainly at that hour. My record stands at 31 minutes… had to pick up my parents but overslept 😊

But and here’s the big but.. it really depends on when. During the weekends there’s a big chance of roadwork on the highways plus during this summer Schiphol Airport will be expecting delays again in bagage handling. Not as bad as last summer but it could be a disruptive factor. 

My advice : stay in beautiful Rotterdam for a day and catch an early morning train on the day of your flight.

HAL is not big on allowing disembarking before 7:15 or 7:30.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Recently, we were not able to get off the ship (Rotterdam in Rotterdam) until after 8:30am.  We were taking HAL transportation from the ship to AMS.  There was a big line to get to the buses.  It was a mess!  Once we arrived at the airport, we again encountered some lines. Our flight from AMS was at 12:25.   We luckily got to the gate in plenty of time, but it was stressful.  I would never attempt an earlier flight when trying to fly out from AMS.

Edited by Iamthesea
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Too tight for comfort.  If HAL was arranging the flights, and your schedule allows you a delay in getting home, then perhaps you might take a chance.  You need to consider Plan B, which is what happens if you miss your flight.

Hank

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

Do you like going to the dentist?  This scenario sounds so stressful to me that I would rather schedule a dentist appointment.  I will say though that when we were in Buenos Aires on the Oosterdam in January and had to depart the ship at 5:00 a.m. it was not a problem.  But, we had been overnighting in port.  You do not have this advantage for an early departure.   Have a great cruise.  Cherie    

Edited by cccole
  • Haha 2

What time is the ship arriving at Rotterdam?  What time will early embarkation start?

We flew out of Schiphol last month from our river cruise.  Our flight was at 9:30 am and we left the cruise ship in Amsterdam at 6:00 am.  The airport was quite busy even at that early hour.  We were fortunate that we had Priority and able to avoid all the long line ups.  Keep in mind that there is construction within the airport.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RedIguana said:

Not sure what your departure date or destination is, but also consider flying out of Brussels. You may end up with a layover in AMS, but the flight may be cheaper.

Interesting.  What's the best way you get from Rotterdam to Brussels?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, julia said:

Interesting.  What's the best way you get from Rotterdam to Brussels?

Brussel is further away than Schiphol Airport. We live in Rotterdam and sometimes fly out of Brussel( Zaventem Airport ) because flights to the US are usually better priced . By car , it takes about 1.5 hours. Best to get the train, there’s a station at the airport, but it still takes about 2 hours….

You will have to depart from Rotterdam Centraal station to Brussel Zuid/ Midi and change trains there to Zaventem Airport.

Edited by rotjeknor
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Train is the way. Granted, this assumes you are able to handle your luggage. I have a cruise out of Amsterdam next month, but have stayed in Amsterdam pre-cruise before. So this time I am flying into Brussels, spending 3 days there, and taking the train to Utrecht the day before for a night, and will take a train to Amsterdam the morning of the cruise, then departing from AMS. I think there is an intercity direct from Rotterdam Central to Brussels airport, as @rotjeknor lives there, maybe they can chime in on the validity of using the intercity vs eurostar (I would be interested as well). I know I would be more comfortable with a 2-3 pm flight from Brussels than an 11 am flight from AMS (or even a morning flight out the next day if cheap enough).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Train is the way. Granted, this assumes you are able to handle your luggage. I have a cruise out of Amsterdam next month, but have stayed in Amsterdam pre-cruise before. So this time I am flying into Brussels, spending 3 days there, and taking the train to Utrecht the day before for a night, and will take a train to Amsterdam the morning of the cruise, then departing from AMS. I think there is an intercity direct from Rotterdam Central to Brussels airport, as @rotjeknor lives there, maybe they can chime in on the validity of using the intercity vs eurostar (I would be interested as well). I know I would be more comfortable with a 2-3 pm flight from Brussels than an 11 am flight from AMS (or even a morning flight out the next day if cheap enough).

I’d use the intercity, Eurostar is comfortable and fast but has a lousy service record….

• Thanks 1

We went to Brussels 3 days pre cruise out of Rotterdam. It took us over 1.5 hours to clear immigration at the Brussels airport. A plane arrived right before ours where the vast majority of the passengers needed to have visas to enter Belgium.  This slowed down the lines considerably.  This could also slow

down leaving Brussels for non EU passport holders.  We took the Eurostar to Rotterdam and it was great.  We actually walked the 40 minutes to the port with our luggage - it was a beautiful day.  

We did fly home from Amsterdam.  Next time coming home, we would carry our luggage off the ship, take a taxi to the train station and then take the train to the Amsterdam airport.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

I’d use the intercity, Eurostar is comfortable and fast but has a lousy service record….

Thanks. It is a month out now, so I was going to grab tickets this week and was planning on using the intercity from Brussels to Utrecht. Anyone know if Belgium (Brussels) has the three day passes similar to what we had in Amsterdam? Off to Google for me, but always nice to get advice from someone who uses the system regularly.