Lanai cabin experience

We are booked for a lanai cabin on the Volendam… balconies unavailable when I booked.  I actually like the idea of direct access to the promenade deck from my room for a number of reasons, and so.different from our normal balcony choices on past cruises.

So just wondering how others may have liked/disliked that location… advantages/disadvantages ( other than it being a small cabin 😉)

Wife and I sailed on the Volendam two months ago.  Balconies were all sold out, so we booked an ocean view on deck 2 rather than a lanai on deck 3 for a couple of reasons:

-1- lanai cabins have public areas above while the ocean view cabins have guest cabins above and below

-2- ocean view has an unobstructed view while lanai is obstructed by passengers walking by and the railings

And although lanai guests have dedicated chairs on the promenade, personally I would find people walking past you only a couple feet away a little disruptive.

But I am sure you will have a wonderful cruise regardless of your choice of cabins.

• Like 2

We had one once several years ago. We loved it, but the couple next to us were older and the woman had a hard time with the sliding door. It was heavy and kind of sticky.

• Like 1

I'm not a real fan of the lanai cabins. They are smaller and I think the ocean view cabins on the same deck (as long as you choose carefully) are much better for the price. I paid for an upgrade for one a few years ago (I think it was the Veendam) for a B2B from Montreal/Boston/Boston//Bermuda and back to Boston. I didn't spend a lot of time using my lanai chairs on the first leg but on the second leg I wanted to but there were some painting/upgrades going on outside of my cabin and my area was blocked off and no access or chairs for me. I went to guest services, and they kept on telling me it would only be one day, but it ended up being three days and I persisted and told them I never would have paid for an upgrade if I knew that I couldn't use my lanai benefit on the Boston to Bermuda. They communicated with HQ and finally gave me a refund for the 2nd leg.  I do love being on the Promenade Deck and have Canada/NE cruise booked again for this August and in an obstructed view cabin. I can just walk out the doors to feel the ocean air and temperatures. 

• Like 3

I love the location, the promenade is quite a bit more social than those not staying there realize.  However the rooms are smaller and the layout of the furniture is not optimal to accommodate the sliding door. We are once again on deck 3 next week but chose the OV instead of the lanai. I will let you know how that works out. 

• Like 1

Big fan here.  We took two very long transatlantics in lanai cabins and found them perfect.  I would do it again in a New York minute. Easy access to promenade, loungers outside your door, ocean view, it all made sense to us.

• Like 1

I loved the concept when we stayed in one on a Ft. Lauderdale to Montreal cruise. Being right on the lower prom deck is great, sort of an ocean liner experience from a bygone era, and we enjoyed our lounges, chatting with neighbors a few times when weather allowed. The crew was doing some work out there, which was interesting to watch.

The negatives were the tighter-feeling quarters with the bed forward/aft (vs crosswise), and only the one desk with TV on it - limited places to put your belongings. And I, too, had to put a lot of effort into the sliding glass door.

All in all, I’m just as happy in an outside room on that deck next to a pair of entry/exit doors. Have booked that a few times on the small ships. Easy to dash out if you see a great view or something out on the water to investigate.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

I loved the concept when we stayed in one on a Ft. Lauderdale to Montreal cruise. Being right on the lower prom deck is great, sort of an ocean liner experience from a bygone era, and we enjoyed our lounges, chatting with neighbors a few times when weather allowed. The crew was doing some work out there, which was interesting to watch.

The negatives were the tighter-feeling quarters with the bed forward/aft (vs crosswise), and only the one desk with TV on it - limited places to put your belongings. And I, too, had to put a lot of effort into the sliding glass door.

All in all, I’m just as happy in an outside room on that deck next to a pair of entry/exit doors. Have booked that a few times on the small ships. Easy to dash out if you see a great view or something out on the water to investigate.

That is exactly what we decided to do. Our lanai experience was nice but I think I will enjoy the more efficient flow of the OV.   I will bookmark this thread and leave photos and comments.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Learned something today - I always knew the Maasdam/Veendam had lanais, but did not realize the Volendam still did. Thanks, OP!

• Like 1

I truly enjoyed my Lanai cabin, however it would have been nice to know certain things before I sailed in one.  First is the lifeboats above your cabin. When the ship tenders, your cabin is blocked off as they lower the boats into the water. They will usually stop and leave them at the deck so that crew can climb aboard and make repairs or stock the boat.  This will usually happen about 6:30 in the morning with a very loud crane that will lower the boat.  In the evenings this process is repeated but with a wet and dripping boat.  They will also do this during a port call on the opposite side for crew drills and drivers training for the crew.  When this happens, a rope is put through all the door handles and the deck is roped off. Interesting to watch and everyone is nice about it. Chair pads do tend to get wet and while the boats are out all shade is lost. 

While it is true that it is hard to see inside your room, the windows are full length mirrors. Many will stand in front of your room and make clothing adjustments or look at their teeth or just admire themselves.  It is a surprise to open your curtains to a crew member tucking in his shirt thinking no one can see him if he faces the window. 

The doors are heavy and the key to the door can stop working so many found themselves running into the ship and down the hall looking for a room steward to let them in through the hall, as they had left their other key inside. Just a warning. 

It was easy to greet people as they walked by and friendships could develope as they stop to chat. That was a nice bonus for someone who is shy and tends to isolate. I found that you could carry the little round table out onto the deck between the chairs and using room service you could enjoy lunch or a snack with a glass of wine. Chair pads were taken up about 8 each night and brought back about 7:30, however if you asked the stewards they would let you keep the pads in your room to use during the evening. 

There are so many plus and minuses that as long as you know what to expect you will enjoy them. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Years ago we had a group of cabins all in a row on the lanai on Maasdam - -it was one party! We all loved easy access to the large deck for visiting with one another - and our own lounge chairs reserved just for our cabin. I'd do it again for sure.

8 hours ago, travelingla said:

Years ago we had a group of cabins all in a row on the lanai on Maasdam - -it was one party! We all loved easy access to the large deck for visiting with one another - and our own lounge chairs reserved just for our cabin. I'd do it again for sure.

That sounds like a lot of fun!

On 7/20/2024 at 7:09 PM, loretta said:

I'm not a real fan of the lanai cabins. They are smaller and I think the ocean view cabins on the same deck (as long as you choose carefully) are much better for the price. I paid for an upgrade for one a few years ago (I think it was the Veendam) for a B2B from Montreal/Boston/Boston//Bermuda and back to Boston. I didn't spend a lot of time using my lanai chairs on the first leg but on the second leg I wanted to but there were some painting/upgrades going on outside of my cabin and my area was blocked off and no access or chairs for me. I went to guest services, and they kept on telling me it would only be one day, but it ended up being three days and I persisted and told them I never would have paid for an upgrade if I knew that I couldn't use my lanai benefit on the Boston to Bermuda. They communicated with HQ and finally gave me a refund for the 2nd leg.  I do love being on the Promenade Deck and have Canada/NE cruise booked again for this August and in an obstructed view cabin. I can just walk out the doors to feel the ocean air and temperatures. 

Veendam was such a great ship. I also had lanai on Boston to Bermuda, it was wonderful.  

If a Vista Suite with a balcony is not available a Lanai is the next best thing, The Lanaia cabins usually sell out quickly, since the Volendam has no standard balcony cabins, you have to upgrade to a VS to get one. We are on the Volendam in 3 weeks in a Vista Suite.

My only con with a Lanai is you continually have to ask passengers using your dedicated and reserved deck loungers to leave. It can get very confrontational when they refuse.

On 7/21/2024 at 5:52 AM, albingirl said:

Big fan here.  We took two very long transatlantics in lanai cabins and found them perfect.  I would do it again in a New York minute. Easy access to promenade, loungers outside your door, ocean view, it all made sense to us.

We talked with people who really enjoy socializing outside the Lanai cabins, still can't convince my wife.

40 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

We talked with people who really enjoy socializing outside the Lanai cabins, still can't convince my wife.

We made some lifelong friends!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, terrydtx said:

My only con with a Lanai is you continually have to ask passengers using your dedicated and reserved deck loungers to leave. It can get very confrontational when they refuse.

I had wondered about this happening. I can’t imagine anyone refusing to give you your chair? There are signs right there on the wall saying the chairs belong to the lanai. How rude. Was this a daily occurrence?

1 hour ago, kelliebiz said:

I had wondered about this happening. I can’t imagine anyone refusing to give you your chair? There are signs right there on the wall saying the chairs belong to the lanai. How rude. Was this a daily occurrence?

Just like the signs around the pool about no reserving of lounge chairs which most disregard. On a 10 day cruise it happened maybe 4 or 5 times.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, albingirl said:

We made some lifelong friends!

We had the usual “where are you from” conversations with people in the next door Lanai cabin. Turned out they lived about 3 miles from our house.

The next day, with more chatting with them, we discovered that the wife & I were at the same high school - she was only a year behind me (we didn’t remember each other).

We got together (with Yearbooks) several times after the cruise.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I will get pictures later just a few comments.  I am in 3332 on the Volendam.  It is the OV right on the atrium and at the end cap of all the lanais.   It is a wonderful room, blissfully quiet. The large empty space next to it is a firewall with absolutely nothing except insulation.  The atrium is my private office/studio/ sitting room.  The room is small as described earlier but has an incredible amount of storage.  The bed is under the window and there is a full size desk with a comfortable loveseat.  The bathroom is renovated with the glasses shower - no tub.  I will get photos later but I would definitely recommend with the caution about the small size compared to OVs on deck 1 and 2

• Like 1